• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
They even made unique DS and Wii versions of their CoDs; you will see BLOPS2 on Wii U

Call of Duty®: Black Ops 2 propels players into a near future, 21st Century Cold War, where technology and weapons have converged to create a new generation of warfare.”

+ their teasing videos about the drones

+ screenshots about the drones

+ people interested in defense technology evolutions/what we can expect for future military equipments know how it's heavily related to camera (personal drones, mini-camera on the back for extended field of view, two-movable-parts weapons to fire behind walls without exposing you thanks to a camera on its front, etc.), drones, etc.

If Activision is really serious & motivated in taking advantage of the Wii U features, we could have the absolute version in terms of gameplay & above all, fun.

Edit: Yeah, Yeah, Activision, i've spent so much time on MW & BF, i know the difference, but believe me, when i saw these screenshots, i thought about EA Command & Conquer Generals 2, with the drones (similar to USA faction drones on Generals 1, it really looks like a US soldier supported by vehicles battle drones), the setting (near future with advanced weapons but not too futuristic), etc :/

Nibel

+ their teasing videos about the drones

+ screenshots about the drones

+ people interested in defense technology evolutions/what we can expect for future military equipments know how it's heavily related to camera (personal drones, mini-camera on the back for extended field of view, two-parts weapons to fire behind walls without exposing you thanks to a camera, etc.), drones, etc.

If EA is really serious & motivated in taking advantage of the Wii U features, we could have the absolute version in terms of gameplay & above all, fun.

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, we saw some drone stuff in Ghost Recon, too. The Wii U tablet seems perfect for future shooters with gadgets and special weapons.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I edited my post :p

While seeing these BO2 screenshots, my mind focused on EA Command & Conquer Generals 2, with the drones (similar to USA faction drones on Generals 1, it really looks like a US soldier supported by vehicles battle drones), the setting (near future with advanced weapons but not too futuristic), etc :/

HylianTom

Banned
Cheesecakebobby, your avatar is a fusion between Iwata and Reggie?
Upon moving back to New Orleans last year, I found that there was a local investigative reporter who looks like he could be Reggie's long-lost little brother..
small_Zurik.JPG

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy, seems like I missed a rather important piece of news. Regarding the trademark opposition in Europe of Wii U (Trade mark No: 010377331), here's the most recent development:

Your opposition has now been found admissible at least insofar as it is based on the following earlier right: GB 2563824

Should the opposition be based on any other earlier rights, please not that
the exmination of the admissibility of these other earlier rights has not yet taken place.
This is in line with the new practicate established in Communication N0 5/07 of
12/09/2007 of the President of the Office on changes of practice in opposition
proceedings.

If you have not already done so, you must substantiate the above earlier right which
has been found admissible, and any other earlier rights filed as bases of the
opposition, within the time limit set below. If this is not the case any non-
substantiated earlier rights will not be taken into account.

The relevant periods and time limites for the present proceedings are as follows:

1. The "cooling-off" period expires on 06/07/2012. The adversarial part of the
opposition proceedings will begin on 07/07/2012.

2. The time limit for you to substantiate the earlier rights and submit further material
expires on 06/09/2012.

3. The time limit for the applicant/holder to submit its observations in reply expires on 06/11/2012

Source: http://esearch.oami.europa.eu/copla/trademark/data/010377331/download/I_OP_0002707710

The above document was sent to the opposer, Information Technology Junction Limited, on the 24th of April. Nintendo also received notice on this the same day, that document can be viewed here: http://esearch.oami.europa.eu/copla/trademark/data/010377331/download/I_OP_0002707708

This means now that Nintendo and Information Technology Junction Limited will negotiate an agreement. I don't see Nintendo stepping down, but even though Information Technology Junction is a very small company (in comparison to Nintendo) I don't see it backing down that easily either, especially as this is claimed only for England.

The "cooling-off" period is as follows:

The "cooling-off" period
If the notice of opposition is found admissible, OHIM sends a notification to both parties setting deadlines for the proceedings. The proceedings start with a period during which parties can negotiate an agreement, the so-called "cooling-off" period. During this period the parties are given the possibility of terminating the proceedings without incurring additional costs.

The cooling-off period expires two months from the notification of admissibility. It can be extended for 22 months and can last for a total of 24 months. Once the cooling-off period has expired, the adversarial part of the proceedings begins.

This shall be interesting to follow. Reason why I didn't see this earlier was because these documents showed up only in the eSearch Plus database of OHIM, I normally use the CTM-Online database.

test_account

XP-39C²
Just checked this and while true, I must say that I'm suprised how much effort went into the Wii version. Watched some YouTube videos and it looks like COD (MW3 at least).
I havnt tried the Wii versions myself, but from what i've seen, it definitely seems like a good port indeed concidering the technical differences between the Wii and Xbox 360/PS3.

I suspect that they're going later so that their launch lineup can be as polished as possible. That, and they can claim that they're being friendly to third parties, giving them enough time to put the finishing touches on their products.

Whatever helps them avoid a poor 3DS style launch, I'm all for it.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
An interview from Zombie Panic in Wonderland Akaoni studios, with a little tidbit about Wii U

We also asked about Wii U. While they haven't a development kit for the new machine, they have many contacts between Japanese developers (thanks to Jose Manuel), which assure that the machine is a system full of surprises, more than it seems:

"We are able to access information, but we are now able to spend time studying it. So we know what the world will, I talked with developers in Japan that are already working with it, and everyone says it's full of surprises that will surprise people much more than what at first seems. I believe it, and indeed I hope so, but still gutting the 3DS, I do not open the other because I want to fall too (laughs). - Jose Manuel Iniguez, Akaoni Studios"

It's in spanish so if a native-speaker can propose a better translation :)

Berg

I havnt tried the Wii versions myself, but from what i've seen, it definitely seems like a good port indeed concidering the technical differences between the Wii and Xbox 360/PS3.

Other than the graphics and missing killstreaks, the biggest problem with the wii version is the security. MP is ruined because of how easy it is to hack. Kids can ban other people from online, reset their account, i've heard of people being able to "brick" other peoples Wii's thru COD.
Security is my #1 when is comes to WiiU online. And with all the Sony hacking, i think theyll have incentive.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Rösti;37464825 said:
This means now that Nintendo and Information Technology Junction Limited will negotiate an agreement. I don't see Nintendo stepping down, but even though Information Technology Junction is a very small company (in comparison to Nintendo) I don't see it backing down that easily either, especially as this is claimed only for England.

I wonder the amount of money Nintendo may give in this hypothetic agreement.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So WiiU is only having name trouble in UK?

call it Wii Pro in UK :p
Well, it's only in England the trademark is opposed though no action can be made on the Wii U trademarks in the United States due to Nintendo not providing certain documents.

I'm tempted to make a thread called "Nintendo could lose Wii U trademark rights in England" but I anticipate such would attract trolls and people finding enjoyment in spite. And that would be unfavourable. However, EatChildren suggested that bigger news should have its own thread.

(catching up again!)

When Iwata says that there is no inventory risk with DD-codes in stores, how does he mean? I know that these DD-code (most likely) takes up less space, but how about unsold codes? What if "everyone" buys physical copies of the games instead, then your stuck with unsold DD-codes that you have money tied up to. I dont think that there is a buy-back program, at least in Japan, for unsold games (hence why some games get big price drops fast to clear inventory from the store).

Hey, could somebody point me out exactly where it says that they're using "codes" that you physically obtain in stores? I rather assumed that you'd go to the store, find out what you want to buy from all the big wall-sized ads for popular games in there, hand your nintendoodad to the clerk, have them scan it, and then the game downloads to your Wii U as you drive home, so it's ready to play when you are.

Did I miss where they specifically detailed a stupider option than what I describe above, or are people making assumptions, just as I am?

(I just quickly looked through the Q&A and couldn't find the word "code" or "card", but it's morning and I have a headache and no coffee)

Rösti;37465835 said:
Well, it's only in England the trademark is opposed though no action can be made on the Wii U trademarks in the United States due to Nintendo not providing certain documents.

I'm tempted to make a thread called "Nintendo could lose Wii U trademark rights in England" but I anticipate such would attract trolls and people finding enjoyment in spite. And that would be unfavourable. However, EatChildren suggested that bigger news should have its own thread.

It is worth discussion if there is also a problem in the US

Nintendo seems to be in love with the name WiiU so they could money hat this problem

BurntPork

Banned
We're a month away from E3, and they can't possibly change the name after E3. If they're fighting for it now, there is absolutely no chance of a name change.

Let's just hope that Nintendo can market it properly this time.

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;37465835 said:

If anyone were a good candidate to make such a thread, it'd be you. You definitely have a sterling rep compared to some/many of us..

BlackJace

What are the chances of the console getting Steam, and even Origin, intergration?

The PS3 already has Steam on a superficial level already (Portal 2 seems to be the only game that utilizes it so far I believe).
There's no reason EA would deny Origin intergration as well, seeing as Ninty and EA are buddy-buddy.

guek

Banned
When Iwata says that there is no inventory risk with DD-codes in stores, how does he mean? I know that these DD-code (most likely) takes up less space, but how about unsold codes? What if "everyone" buys physical copies of the games instead, then your stuck with unsold DD-codes that you have money tied up to. I dont think that there is a buy-back program, at least in Japan, for unsold games (hence why some games get big price drops fast to clear inventory from the store).

I'm pretty sure the cards wouldn't work that way (if they do indeed go with cards). Think about gift cards. Most don't have a predetermined set value, the value is assigned to the card when you purchase it at the cashier. That's why gift cards themselves are physically worthless before they're activated. In the same way, I think they'll be able to activate cards and tie them to a specific game when you buy them up at the counter. That way, retailers don't have to worry at all about stock, and they take on virtually no risk when purchasing game cards.

We're a month away from E3, and they can't possibly change the name after E3. If they're fighting for it now, there is absolutely no chance of a name change.

NINTENDO ULTRA 64

they have plenty of time for a name change even after E3

so where is the trademark thread? people need to know these kinds of things its Nintendo History we will look back at this as a reason the name was change if that is the outcome of this UK issue

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
so where is the trademark thread? people need to know these kinds of things its Nintendo History we will look back at this as a reason the name was change if that is the outcome of this UK issue
I'm working on it. The thread need some back-story for people who don't visit this thread that much. Should be done in 20-30 minutes.

Rösti;37466696 said:
I'm working on it. The thread need some back-story for people who don't visit this thread that much. Should be done in 20-30 minutes.

it might be helpful to add what happened to ULTRA 64 most people don't remember that far back and think it was a codename :3

Rösti;37466696 said:

So the place we go for Nintendo news should be posting this news in 40 minutes? ;p

Nibel

nyMZq.gif

E3 2005 - Nintendo Revolution
E3 2006 - Nintendo Wii

Hoo boy. That was a mess. I really hope our next thread doesn't get tagged. Don't bring back bad memories.

It was awesome. Hype-GAF tested the limits and learned how far they can reasonably go before turning a fun thread into a shitstorm. From now on, because of this, we have an amazingly (usually) civil interaction going on here!

Also, the current thread title is better than the one that was there before.

Anyway, what's the potential next thread title list? I only remember the one from before that I tossed up while everybody was going kerjiggers and posting the same news item over and over again…

Wii U Speculation Thread V: We already heard the news

Of course, I wanted to thrust forth how great it would have been to follow this Master Plan
master plan said:
Wii U Speculation Thread
Wii U Speculation Thread 2
Wii U Speculation Thread 3
Wii U Speculation Thread World
Wii U Speculation Thread World 2: Hiroshi's Island
New Wii U Speculation Thread

:D

I still think that the first one after the actual E3 conference should use the "New" prefix and reset the numbers. ^_^

Keep in mind that the thread ends in about three days. Who's starting up the next one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom