• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD1

Banned
I thought the oposite was true. Haven't they said several times that they want to stick with motion controls for Zelda?

Yep, that's what I'm getting at. WiiMotion+ and nunchuk to control Link and the Wii U controller is peripheral, using the screen to display various information.

Personally, I really liked Skyward Sword, but I'd prefer they just use DRC exclusively.

Doubling as a stand will be pretty handy for propping the controller up on the coffee table or while watching Netflix

A primary use for the stand is so that it can function better as a sensor bar. It'd still be awkward to try to place it above or immediately below the tv in many cases, though.

If Aonuma is to be believed, and console Zelda wont be going back from WiiMotion+, then I could see this being very accurate. The Wii U tablet will act as map, compass and Link's satchel.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to touch Link's sack.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder if at this point Nintendo will probably assume you have a Wiimote though, considering there must be upwards of 300 million in the wild now.
I'm very curious about this. I mean, will Nintendo gamble on that everyone who wants a WiiU already has at least one Wii controller and nunchuck? This would be the first time that Nintendo has sold a console that wont work 100% out of the box (not counting later addons like N64 Expansion Pak and Wii Motion+ etc.).

It is not an unthinkable situation, Sony recently did it Vita and memorycards (although i think that this will change in the future. I already see bundles available with 4GB memorycard). So i'm curious about what Nintendo will do.

What would you suggest? The pad on top? People will just bitch about that too. You can't make a completely comfortable handheld like this without either making it huge and or really ugly.

Don't worry, if it did look like this I'm sure someone will make a grip for it or something.

I agree, but I didn't want to be boo'd at for not having flipped sticks. Oh well, that dream is gone.

Ha! Booing happens no matter what. Just be glad this isn't a presentation in person, or there would be poo flinging.

…even if you made it modular so a user could just move around components at their whim, you'd be reviled for trying. ;)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm very curious about this. I mean, will Nintendo gamble on that everyone who wants a WiiU already has at least one Wii controller and nunchuck? This would be the first time that Nintendo has sold a console that wont work 100% out of the box (not counting later addons like N64 Expansion Pak and Wii Motion+ etc.).

It is not an unthinkable situation, Sony recently did it Vita and memorycards (although i think that this will change in the future. I already see bundles available with 4GB memorycard). So i'm curious about what Nintendo will do.
what? The padlet is all you need to make the wii u work. Just like any other console ever made if you want other/more control options (for multiplayer) you'd have to buy them separately. If you kept your wiimotes and nun chucks good for you.

Do what? Of course the console will work 100% right out of the box. Wii Motes are no different from needing additional controllers but any game released on the system will be fully playable with the DRC.

orioto

Good Art™
No thanks. Better to keep the cost down.

There is a real problem about that and nobody has the answer yet it seems...

They are throwing to trash the massive innovation that allowed them to sell millions last gen, plus re-using the name that is associated with it.

If there is no Wiimote in the WiiU, then games won't be developed with the motion control in mind.

If the idea is that people already have a Wiimote... Than i'm confused. Does that mean the WiiU is an add-on for the Wii ? If i need to have a Wii first to enjoy it ?

Im sure Nintendo would not make nor allow anygames that arent playable on the WiiU pad.That is straight up dogging the consumers. How can you make a console that wants to appeal more to the people that didnt buy a Wii. Just a fat contradiction.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
There's a second sensor bar built into the tablet. So yeah, if you wants to play Wii games on the crapper it'll let you do that.
I knew about the sensor bar in the remote but if you didn't want to use that people can just buy a wii sensor bar for less than 5 dollars on amazon.

Assuming that a lot of WiiU games will require a Wii controller. Isnt that what we are talking about here? The neccesity of a Wii controller for WiiU?
I think it's safe to say that few games are going to require the wii remote to play. Hopefully the next Zelda gives you a choice between the two.

Assuming that a lot of WiiU games will require a Wii controller. Isnt that what we are talking about here? The neccesity of a Wii controller for WiiU?

From how they presented at E3, I was assuming that a Wii Remote would be included in the Wii U package.

Im sure Nintendo would not make nor allow anygames that arent playable on the WiiU pad.That is straight up dogging the consumers. How can you make a console that wants to appeal more to the people that didnt buy a Wii. Just a fat contradiction.

Their E3 '11 demo included people using Wii remotes as a primary input. Example: Playing golf with the remote, but the DRC is the "ground view" so you can actually line up your shot (that was one of three or four moments where you could hear audible murmurs of approval from the audience, if I wasn't confusing it with the game's audience.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, this is what i'm curious about. If they will make the use of a Wii controller completely optional or if it will be used in many games.

From how they presented at E3, I was assuming that a Wii Remote would be included in the Wii U package.

Their E3 '11 demo included people using Wii remotes as a primary input. Example: Playing golf with the remote, but the DRC is the "ground view" so you can actually line up your shot.
That is exactly why i thought about it, from what we saw at E3. They (Nintendo) seemed to have much emphasise on multiplayer using both types of controllers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Only for multiplayer. But again, that is no different from buying extra controllers. No game will not be playable on the Wii u controller.
If it is strictly for multiplayer (at least for the most part), then i agree that it isnt much difference than buying a 2nd controller.

I think it's safe to say that few games are going to require the wii remote to play. Hopefully the next Zelda gives you a choice between the two.
It could be. If this is the case, then it should be a problem. That is why i mentioned "work 100%" earlier, if a lot of games required a Wii controller and it wasnt included, then it would be missing something in the box, so to speak.

udivision

There is a real problem about that and nobody has the answer yet it seems...

They are throwing to trash the massive innovation that allowed them to sell millions last gen, plus re-using the name that is associated with it.

If there is no Wiimote in the WiiU, then games won't be developed with the motion control in mind.

If the idea is that people already have a Wiimote... Than i'm confused. Does that mean the WiiU is an add-on for the Wii ? If i need to have a Wii first to enjoy it ?

This is probably why they kept the Wii name.
This isn't Gamecube => Wii where it was "neat I get to use the GCN controller for some stuff."

This is an expansion on the Wii brand, including functionality with all previous wii controllers (Wiimote, Wiimote+, Wii Balance Board, CC, CCPro, etc..) but expanding it with more powerful hardware and a new U pad.

I think people will be able to wrap their heads around buying a Wiimote for their Wii U, but real confusion (for more casual gamers) would be buying a Wiimote for the new Nintendo Glorbax.

Also, no dev is going to lose money over assuming you have a wiimote, or know what one is. The Wii Mote itself as an icon is more popular than a lot of gaming franchises at this point.

I stand by what I said, I can't imagine for the life of me why the wiimote will be the focal point. The uPad is basically the wiiU, they keep saying that, that's what they're pushing. The wiimote will be relegated to optional control methods when devs choose to implement it, or for local multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom