• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paying Super Mario 3D Land today, I'm wondering if they can make Mario games look any better outside of less angular edges.

The design of 3D Land is spectacular. However, I am not a fan of a major portion of the areas floating mid-air. They should really fit more levels into a grounded setting of some sort. Only reason I've realized this is because of the Galaxy's. Everything floats, but it made sense there. Now they are starting to go overboard. In other words, bring back the Sunshine/64 style levels as well.

Anth0ny

Paying Super Mario 3D Land today, I'm wondering if they can make Mario games look any better outside of less angular edges. With this game and the Galaxy titles I really feel like the Mario art style has reached its logical conclusion in terms of technical graphics. I really do feel like Super Mario Galaxy 2 in 1080p with a little bit of AA is about as good as a Mario game ever needs to look. It might be nice to see some tessellation of Bowser's scales but that's all I can really think of.

JvMbE.jpg

Until he looks like this in game, he can still look better.

Galaxy 2 in 1080p is pretty damn close, though!

Until he looks like this in game, he can still look better.
Galaxy 2 in 1080p is pretty damn close, though!

Pretty much, and also like mentioned, using newer techniques like tessellation can add A LOT to a Mario game in a similar way to how Mode 7 effects changed things on SNES.

Terrell

What's with Eternal Darkness anyway? Denis Dyack said that the ownership of the IP is complicated but he talks as if Silicon Knights can make a sequel whenever it wants to.

Yeah, I think this is just Dyack posturing. The IP trademark is Nintendo's, the game systems used in the game are patented to Nintendo..... NOTHING is stopping Nintendo from doing as they wish with the franchise, even if Silicon Knights would have a hissy-fit field day with it.

Even funnier: Nintendo still OWNS part of Silicon Knights!

Knowing Nintendo, 4 distinctly different characters was something they experimented on for NSMB Wii or in some completely different prototype, and decided it was not as good as what they came up with. And they probably made the right call. If their goal was to bring in new players, characters with slippery or sluggish controls would just add to the annoyance factor.

As for lack of online in that title, in my experience, unless you're someone I've been gaming w/ for years and we have an unspoken connection, you have to be in constant communication w/ the other players in order to succeed. In other words, they would have needed a voice chat solution much better than Wii Speak.

I hate to bring Super Meat Boy back into this but it has relevance. I don't see how having 4 distinct chars would add any annoyance, you simply don't play as them if you don't like them. Lots of people prefer Meat Boy to Ogmo, but there's nothing that adds annoyance by virtue of Ogmo being an option. That's all I'm suggesting, more options, refined controls/physics and layered level design...it extends the value of the product by huge margins for those interested. But no one's saying you have to play with the other chars.

I can't get a hold of Runman or Spelunky because I find them unwieldy, doesn't make the game more annoying I just ignore them. Beyond that I find that there's always an option for me to go back and master them if I want to.

And I'm not saying it must include any additional characters, just merely saying it seems like a more value/content/depth tradeoff than simply using Mii's. I'd be perfectly happy with another SMB3-style game...although I would really love to see Nintendo revisit 2D with a great new artstyle.

Combine

Banned
Yeah, I think this is just Dyack posturing. The IP trademark is Nintendo's, the game systems used in the game are patented to Nintendo..... NOTHING is stopping Nintendo from doing as they wish with the franchise, even if Silicon Knights would have a hissy-fit field day with it.

Even funnier: Nintendo still OWNS part of Silicon Knights!
The best outcome would be for Dyack to just write the story and Retro to develop the game. Of course, that's never gonna happen. He'd need to have more input in the dev process than simply that and I doubt Nintendo would want to give him much of any.

Unless there is a lot of kiss and make up between the two, this franchise is going to stay dead. Though I am slightly curious just what Silicon Knights can do now. The last game they released (that X-men thing) was universally panned and looked horrendous. Are there any publishers that'd work with them anymore (especially after the whole MS/Epic thing)

Terrell

The best outcome would be for Dyack to just write the story and Retro to develop the game. Of course, that's never gonna happen. He'd need to have more input in the dev process than simply that and I doubt Nintendo would want to give him much of any.

Unless there is a lot of kiss and make up between the two, this franchise is going to stay dead. Though I am slightly curious just what Silicon Knights can do now. The last game they released (that X-men thing) was universally panned and looked horrendous. Are there any publishers that'd work with them anymore (especially after the whole MS/Epic thing)

Why would Dyack need to write the story? Too Human seems to prove that his story writing skills are past their prime, and his work on Eternal Darkness, while good, is not so spectacular that it can't be re-imagined elsewhere.

guek

Banned

I think nintendo could help them produce something decent. What was the last time they made anything worth playing? When they worked with nintendo, correct? Nintendo wouldn't pay them a load of cash to produce something that simply wasn't up to snuff. They would at least force them to make the gameplay of whatever the developed solid. Say what you will about Other M's story, many people (including myself) enjoyed its core gameplay.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I agree also. If any game has the potential to reach "Pixar-level" it's Mario because of it's art-style.

I hope Nintendo continues with Galaxy's style for the Wii U. Minimising what needs to be rendered on the screen by having it set in space allowed them to devote tons of hardware resources towards making the two games look as good as they do. Same reason SM3DL looks great too.

I'd be very happy for them to take the same direction with the Wii U version, dedicating all that additional system power to making super high resolution textures, detailed models, and a crazy amount of shaders, all at 1080p and 60fps please!

Log4Girlz

I hope Nintendo continues with Galaxy's style for the Wii U. Minimising what needs to be rendered on the screen by having it set in space allowed them to devote tons of hardware resources towards making the two games look as good as they do. Same reason SM3DL looks great too.

I'd be very happy for them to take the same direction with the Wii U version, dedicating all that additional system power to making super high resolution textures, detailed models, and a crazy amount of shaders, all at 1080p and 60fps please!

I will hold you in my arms when this does not come to pass, and you need comfort.

snesfreak

Banned

You'll get 540p at 30fps and you'll like it!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Its going to be open world Mario with an unstable framerate and its going to be awful, DLC and all.

We didn't see anything...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/Guek/tumblr_lnmcj67lVD1qbc789o1_500.png[IMG]

EVER

[spoiler]I mean, we haven't heard squat[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Godamnit! I've been waiting to use that for ages...

Wait, I DID use that a couple of weeks ago... :|

400 and so posts, and we will be at the Thread of Brains Beware II.

20000 posts over NOTHING. And I have followed most of it and contributed to it often...

Just fucking show something you god damn Nintendo and them Ninjas :(

edit: Damn at the tag below, lol

luffeN

Just watched the 2012 action adventure preview on Gametrailers and it lists Darksiders II as a Q4 2012 title. I thought it was supposed to launch in the summer? So Wii U confirmed for Q4 2012?

tsab

Just watched the 2012 action adventure preview on Gametrailers and it lists Darksiders II as a Q4 2012 title. I thought it was supposed to launch in the summer? So Wii U confirmed for Q4 2012?

the official wording is "Between E3 2012 and end of year". Logic says they won't saturn their way so, september at earliest. Darksider's stated "Q4 2012" mean October-December 2012.
So it seems plausible that it really launches October to November

Okay, I have some info I've spotted in various resumes, nothing huge mind you.

To avoid a Retro-style massacre, I'll NOT be linking to or naming anyone, just take my word for it.

- Ghost Recon Online is indeed called Ghost Recon Online Arcade as someone mentioned awhile back.
- Lego City Stories may be a launch title.
- Ubisoft Paris is making a Wii U game, the person's credits include Rabbids games, and since we know one is on the way, this should be it. (so really, non-news. XD)
-One person at THQ is working on a AAA game for Wii U, PS3, and 360 with no team specified, could be Darksiders II or Metro: Last Light for all we know.
- The juicy one, apparently someone at Ubisoft (no team specified) who worked in Black Eyed Peas, Just Dance games, and helped on Driver SF, is making a Card Game for Wii U. I sent an email to ask for a clarification if this is indeed a Card Game, perhaps I might've misunderstood the context, here's the quote:

- Unannounced Project - Wii U, Card Game : Game, Level Design, Task Management

I'll post as soon as I recieve a clarification. That's all I asked.

Well, that's all for now. :)

watershed

Banned
I really wonder if Lego City Stories will be a success if its a launch title. It seems like a casual game that would sell amazing later in the wii u's life cycle after the system has built up a casual base but can it actually draw consumers to the wii u? If not it might end up like Nintendogs 3ds.

AzaK

I wonder how many "<Wii U is doomed rant>......because Wii U is the same as the PS3/360" we'll get in the new thread?

And come on you buggers with kits, give us something to close this thread off with a bang for goodness sake! ;)

I wonder how many "<Wii U is doomed rant>......because Wii U is the same as the PS3/360" we'll get in the new thread?

And come on you buggers with kits, give us something to close this thread off with a bang for goodness sake! ;)

Dito, the 6th version of the devkit is out, give us some hints you chosen ones. You are free to answer with + or -, has anything changed for the better or worse?

FreeMufasa

Actually, now that I think about it, I think DKCR2 might be a 3DS game instead of a WiiU game. Retro wouldn't have to recreate assets or significantly update them. I think DKCR2 for the 3DS this fall and their WiiU game sometime next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom