• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hi all, just thought i'd post this, probably old and most likely bullshit :D

However, I do think there is a possiblity of Nintendo getting WoW onto the Wii-U, I just found it strange that they (nintendo) gave so much credence to WoW at one of their conferences last year.

Anyway, here's the link, like I said, probably bullshit :p
http://www.dualpixels.com...

Speculate you speculators :p

Yeah... no. Even with the Wii U pad, i dont see myself playing WoW with anything else than a keyboard and mouse. And it's not just because i've been playing and been used to that kind of control for years that i say that.

Log4Girlz

Was just thinking...$299 would be under priced. I think if it launched at that point it would be sold out for months on end. That's not always a good thing.

Was just thinking...$299 would be under priced. I think if it launched at that point it would be sold out for months on end. That's not always a good thing.

But it's hard to say what would be under priced or over priced until we have more tangible information and see how much of an improvement it is over current offerings. And I'm not talking specs, I want to see what level of visual improvement we're talking about, and how real launch titles will actually use the controller.

darthdago

299 is not the price we are getting it for!!
lowest will be 349 but we have to expect something in the range 399 - 449

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I doubt there'd be anything truly mind-blowing, but that wouldn't be unprecedented for Nintendo; I recall hearing that the 3DS dev kits didn't have 3D enabled until after (or shortly before) they officially announced the system with the 3D feature in March 2010, and that the Wiimote speaker wasn't enabled until just before E3 2006.

Yeah i was referring to the wii-mote speaker when i said:

Now, foreign studios weren't aware of some functions of the Wii-mote until rather late in development, but it wasn't as significant as the previously mentioned ones (3D or haptic screen for the padlet), so i doubt it will be the case again (for big kept-in-secret things on the subscreen).

And

Edge quote
So, Could be Nintendo hidding key features of the WiiU to delevopers? I'm pretty sure they are. Don't forget E3 is in June and the launch of the Wii U will be in October-December so if they reveal something new they will have time to fix their games to incorporate that.

In my opinion there are very few western developers who really knows how the Wii U end up being. Peter Moore is one of them (He personally traveled to Kyoto to see how things were evolving) and he was very happy after the trip.

Hey there :) Yeah i didn't exclude this possibility at all. But if you think about it, stereoscopic 3D late revelation to third-parties came along with a huge boost of the system capacities via frequencies, to allow basically the rendering of another picture to make this feature work. The effort in the gamedesign, in the roots of third-parties projects, to integrate this, wasn't that huge. Not as huge as a "you can feel what you touch on the padlet screen" aka haptic screen (for creative developers of course). For serious studios, this ability can drastically change the gamedesign of their titles, and having to integrate these new ideas a few months before the launch (because there are no such things in current dev kit) will surely produce rushed and shaky results, if we even saw implementation on launch softwares. Still, there's always the eventuality of smallest hidden features, like integrated vitality sensor, additional camera on the back, etc.

You've used that acronym twice; is that an official abbreviation? Or just something you came up with?

The Wii U DRC. I like it much better than "U Pad", that's for sure.

Yeah, Display Remote Controller, it's how the controller "dev kits" (new models) are supplied to studios, how third-parties name it.

Today has been FUN! And imagine how much more fun it'll be when we get actual, honest-to-Nayru news!

(BTW.. I never congratulated IdeaMan on his newly-found celebrity status! When you're working for one of the big companies, remember to visit us here from time to time.) :)

Well, thanks, but it wasn't the intent to be famous (you can add "in" before for some i guess after reading a few other website comments yesterday :D).

Disappointed by NG 3 gamerankings score :/

The closing comments of the IGN review are rough:

Ninja Gaiden 3 is a gash on the face of the franchise and one of the worst games the action genre has yet suffered. It has no consideration for its fans’ wants or what a new audience may have enjoyed. It’s a nightmare that’s as easy as it is uninteresting, and it abandons what used to work for awful new ideas that don’t work together. Under no circumstance should you ever waste your time on this self-indulgent and abysmal wreck.

It seems there are huge gameplay problems, a pity because if it was smaller ones like visuals, cameras, etc, that could be fixed for the Wii U version. It's less likely that they will address these major flaws.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I just don't like Nintendo's industrial design. Their stuff very much looks more like toys than a high end device. This isn't a slant on them per se, as I understand they are more of a toy company than a lifestyle company but I wish their stuff was sexier. I guess that because they have to hit a lower price point than someone like Apple their materials are likely cheaper I just wish they would build something that looks sleek and sexy and would fit well with a home entertainment system.

I liked to stroke the curves of my Nintendo 64 back in the days :D This console was so sexy ! It smelled POWER ! And the material texture, this color, the buttons, the cartridge slot, the memory expansion one, yum yummmm !

That Subscreen also looks rather nasty IMO. Too much space around the bezel and I don't like the glossy look on it based on the glare we see in photos.

For the subscreen, we'll surely see some changes come E3. I have a little concrete info concerning that, i'll talk about it in april on my "small leaks for hardcore gamers to help building the buzz until the E3" agenda.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh, so that's why I keep hearing about Kojima this morning.

He already started using excuses for not making a Wii U game...

Berg

Based on?

OffTopic: Jackets Fan? me too. Carry the Flag!

Nintendo has said that they'll sell it under than what they want..
how much lower I don't know..but, seeing that they took a loss on the 3DS, I think theyll do the same with the WiiU.
Is nintendo making money on the 3DS yet?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some sources claim issue 73 of Nintendo Gamer is not out for sale yet, and others claim the opposite. This was posted today on addicted-gamers.com:

Presently this issue is not available and Nintendo has not confirmed anything as of yet, so take everything you see here with a grain of salt.

Now, I read the preview of the magazine that was linked in post #6287, and the article about Wii U's technical specifications provided very little, so that's uninteresting. But on the cover there's written “And why it might not even be called the Wii U at all!”, and those who have been following my posts about the trademark issues know this really interests me.

Issue 74 is said to be published on the 23rd of March, so why issue 74 wouldn't be available right now I find strange. What's the deal here?

Oh, and regarding the trademark issues, no new developments. Michael French at MCV said he would have a look at it, but no article has popped up yet. MCV has been having furious GAME executives to deal with following a certain magazine cover, so perhaps an article about the trademark opposition etc. has been delayed.

There's been all of one console that launched without a sub-$300 option and went on to put up decent number. After years of 200 and finally a 250, and still apparently working with a price-conscious frame of mind, a $100 jump seems a bit much.

darthdago

Based on?

basically on my opinion.

See they (Nintendo) has also to consider offerring a hardware for 299 if PS360 has maybe around the same price will be foolish.

-Not only will the package cost Nintendo a lot and they already stated that they want to sell at a loss but I doubt they want the loss that high that they will sell the system for 299 only.
(They build a new GPU with AMD based on no existing Radeon - that will cost a bit...)

-They want to target so called "hardcoregamer" with that system -> basically all the folks that bought PS360.
--> If these ppl will see a 299 tag they will say "see nothing good can come from Ninty its cheap system, lets wait for the 499 PS4/720...

I honestly think they will still make a loss with 349 or 399

Jackano

There's been all of one console that launched without a sub-$300 option and went on to put up decent number. After years of 200 and finally a 250, and still apparently working with a price-conscious frame of mind, a $100 jump seems a bit much.

But the controller is much closer to 100$ than anything before, and the system, compared to the Wii, jumps to the HD technology which was one generation ago price-pointed to 600$.
I'm sure the extra 100$ compared to the Wii will be there. I'm sure people will complain about that, but I don't think this will end up to be a problem.

Jackano said:
and the system, compared to the Wii, jumps to the HD technology which was one generation ago price-pointed to 600$.
Screen aside, it's much more like the $299 Core X360 than the $599 60 GB PS3. No hard drive, no extremely new disc format. Nor do the Wii U's processors/RAM/etc. seem like they'll be as far up the curve and thus expensive as either of those. In short I'm thinking of it like the Core X360, with some tech power traded away to cover the additional cost of the controller.

Nibel

Forget IGN and their NG3 review - just look at some of the videos posted and read some of the user's review in the OT.
I was hyped for NG3 Razer edition or whatever it was called.

DrWong

So, it comes from the Gameblog forum where I used to post. Nothing big or really new but it could be interesting : according to a user source it seems some NDA for third party will end next monday (03/26). If it's true we can expect some announcements... The source also confirmed there is some storage capacity with the Wii U, enough to begin with the Eshop even if for bigger users an external storage solution will be needed, "like for the Xbox".

As usual, take it with blablabla...

darthdago

ok, the DS and DSi launched for 149 (handheld)
Homeconsoles are always more expensive (higher launch price)
So Wii in that time launched with a 249 tag

They launched 3DS for 249 (the bad sell rate was about a lack of software NOT the price)
So I am sure Nintys next homesystem will minimum launch with a 349 tag (399 I think).

according to a user source it seems some NDA for third party will end next monday (03/26).

yesjacknicholson.gif

DrWong

Rösti;36199330 said:
But on the cover there's written “And why it might not even be called the Wii U at all!”, and those who have been following my posts about the trademark issues know this really interests me.
GAF > Internet > Printed Mag > GAF... ^^

So, it comes from the Gameblog forum where I used to post. Nothing big or really new but it could be interesting : according to a user source it seems some NDA for third party will end next monday (03/26). If it's true we can expect some announcements... The source also confirmed there is some storage capacity with the Wii U, enough to begin with the Eshop even if for bigger users an external storage solution will be needed, "like for the Xbox".

Well, we'll see. I guess there's an outside chance that Epic Mickey 2 could be the first actual Wii U game previewed to press (a la Red Steel in 2006), but I doubt it.

BD1

Banned

Seems sort of random, but Reggie did promise more info and you can't stay quiet forever...

Hiltz

$400 seems like Nintendo would be shooting itself in the foot even if the Wii U has a good launch lineup. Besides, Nintendo has to compete with the 360 and PS3 first before it tackles competitor next-gen consoles.

I really hate it how Apple can can get away with the high cost but any consoles can't, MS still not made back what they put into 360. on other hand Big N always made a profit on they Consoles I think maybe not always at the start

they key to selling will be to set themself apart from other out now, we getting still some coming in thinking it two 360's and all that BS

Jackano

Yeah well if Nintendo is still cheapy Nintendo we will have a 4GB flash memory in it, either way 8GB ^^

The storage capacity make me asking another quetion: Have the disc media already be discussed? All we know is from the E3 2011 fact sheet, and describe it as a high-density 12cm proprietary optical disc. I'm thinking of something in-between a regular DVD and a HD-DVD. Will a proprietary disc with "only" 10GB per layer be a problem?

basically on my opinion.

See they (Nintendo) has also to consider offerring a hardware for 299 if PS360 has maybe around the same price will be foolish.

-Not only will the package cost Nintendo a lot and they already stated that they want to sell at a loss but I doubt they want the loss that high that they will sell the system for 299 only.
(They build a new GPU with AMD based on no existing Radeon - that will cost a bit...)

-They want to target so called "hardcoregamer" with that system -> basically all the folks that bought PS360.
--> If these ppl will see a 299 tag they will say "see nothing good can come from Ninty its cheap system, lets wait for the 499 PS4/720...

I honestly think they will still make a loss with 349 or 399

Okay, but I guess what I'm getting at is that we don't know enough about the hardware yet. We can make a guess, just not a very educated one. We simply don't have enough info right now.

It's a different world than when the Wii launched. Price is a huge factor, as shown by the 3DS.

m.i.s.

Banned
I really hate it how Apple can can get away with the high cost but any consoles can't

That might have something to do with the fact that one device is primarily a game playing toy and the other a multi-media tablet computer.

Some of the prices being bandied about here are nothing short of hilarious. Like, the same kind of justification that UK Nintendo chief, David Yarnton, used to justify the initial high cost of the 3DS. That it could play 3D movies, ESPN sports channel in 3D and other such similar garbage.

And the sad fact is there appears to be no shortage of "fanboys" willing to bend over...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah well if Nintendo is still cheapy Nintendo we will have a 4GB flash memory in it, either way 8GB ^^

The storage capacity make me asking another quetion: Have the disc media already be discussed? All we know is from the E3 2011 fact sheet, and describe it as a high-density 12cm proprietary optical disc. I'm thinking of something in-between a regular DVD and a HD-DVD. Will a proprietary disc with "only" 10GB per layer be a problem?
I have previously suggested that the optical disc for Wii U may be based on Panasonic's ADA media, though of course modified to fit Nintendo's interests. As wsippel wrote earlier in this thread:

wsippel said:
And as I replied in the other thread, ADA is a phase change disk. The whole point of the format is that it's recordable. You can't even press the disks, every single copy would need to be recorded individiually like VHS back in the day. The format is completely useless for a console.

Rösti said:
Hmm, I don't recall seeing your post, nor replying to it. And yes, I read the specifications of this and thus I wrote "fit Nintendo's interests". Certainly wouldn't something you have to work with so much be something Nintendo would choose, but maybe a different type of this technique has been developed for Wii U, one that functions like Blu-ray with a few extra tricks up its sleeves, but without any high licensing costs.

Seeing as Panasonic (previously Matsushita) developed the optical discs for Gamecube and Wii, it would just be natural for Nintendo to continue using their solutions. And then ADA, since it's Panasonic's own format, wouldn't mean many licensing costs, perhaps none at all. And the specifications of the format is very similar to that of Blu-ray:

adatavmf.png

As I said, this would have to be modified to work more like Blu-ray ROM; phase change would be too troublesome for Nintendo to use.

Source: http://panasonic.net/avc/media/ada/

Anth0ny

Easy there Pachter.

$299 is fine. It's going to be competiting with PS3 and 360, remember? Anything more will look crazy expensive.

I really hate it how Apple can can get away with the high cost but any consoles can't

Two things:

1. Tablets can replace laptops for a large percentage of general users, consoles can play games.

2. A comparable Android tablet is no cheaper than an iPad. It's not an Apple-only thing.

wsippel

Banned
Rösti;36201263 said:
Seeing as Panasonic (previously Matsushita) developed the optical discs for Gamecube and Wii, it would just be natural for Nintendo to continue using their solutions. And then ADA, since it's Panasonic's own format, wouldn't mean many licensing costs, perhaps none at all. And the specifications of the format is very similar to that of Blu-ray:

http://h8.abload.de/img/adatavmf.png

As I said, this would have to be modified to work more like Blu-ray ROM; phase change would be too troublesome for Nintendo to use.

Source: http://panasonic.net/avc/media/ada/
Except for the phase change recording aspect and the cartridge (neither of which Nintendo would keep), ADA is bog standard Blu-ray. It's Blu-ray-RW with a caddy - nothing more, nothing less.

Anything more than $300 and I can't see myself buying it any time soon. Nintendo should know not to overprice their consoles ala the 3DS starting at $250, a $300 price tag seems perfect for the market.

darthdago

Easy there Pachter.

$299 is fine. It's going to be competiting with PS3 and 360, remember? Anything more will look crazy expensive.

If you see it like that its competing with every system that is out now (so maybe the tag should be 99)

The Wii U competition will NOT be PS360 it will be PS4/720.
Nintendo will have a headstart next-gen and same like MS or Sony they will give a ferking shit about what the previous gen systems have for a pricetag if they release their new system.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Except for the phase change recording aspect and the cartridge (neither of which Nintendo would keep), ADA is bog standard Blu-ray. It's Blu-ray-RW with a caddy - nothing more, nothing less.
Do you know what media is used? No need to elaborate on it, unless you want to of course.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Rösti;36201593 said:
Thanks. What does it say regarding the Wii U name?

They don't believe the name will change because:
- Nintendo WANT people to know it's part of the Wii family
- The recent investor meetings have continued to drive home the Wii U 'brand'
- If a name change is on the cards, they're making a pig's ear of it

It's worth nothing that the feature seems to be an opinion piece. The writer sifting through rumours attempting to make sense of them.

MDX

The price of the WiiU all depends what Nintendo is selling it as.
A games console or a multi-media solution?

As a game console anything over $299 and you start to lose customers fast.
But, as a multi-media solution, the perceived value of the product begins to rise.

Nintendo is providing a tablet. They are providing content other than games.
Therefore WiiU is more than just a game console. Its not the Wii. If the customers value
the tablet controller, and value e-readers, the movie channels, and possibly other types of productivity apps that might be available, well Nintendo can easily get away with selling the WiiU at $399.

The Nook already costs like $249. It does not have to output next gen games in 720 or 1080p. It does not come with wiimote and nunchuck. Nintendo is taking the WiiU in 300 territory for sure.

Top Bottom