• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

If you see it like that its competing with every system that is out now (so maybe the tag should be 99)

The Wii U competition will NOT be PS360 it will be PS4/720.
Nintendo will have a headstart next-gen and same like MS or Sony they will give a ferking shit about what the previous gen systems have for a pricetag if they release their new system.

Until the next Sony/MS systems come out, it WILL be competing with the current ones. If people don't see enough improvement over PS3/360 for the difference in price, they won't pay it. Hell, consumers didn't see enough of a jump from DS to 3DS to swallow the price jump.

And people do care about the previous system's price. PS2 flew off the shelves at $299, PS3 rotted on them at $599. Turns out doubling the launch price isn't a great way to go.

But, to follow your argument, the Wii competed with PS3 and 360 and didn't go anywhere near them in terms of price. Not only do we not know enough about Wii U, we know nothing at all about the Sony/MS systems that will compete with it.

They could be close in power and cost this gen, or someone could go the bleeding edge, high cost route. We'll see, should be exciting.

Jackano

Rösti;36201263 said:
I have previously suggested that the optical disc for Wii U may be based on Panasonic's ADA media, though of course modified to fit Nintendo's interests.
Wow, thanks! Sorry it's hard to catach up all te ideas and suggestiosn along 3 threads.

Indeed Panasonic will likely for them be involved. I don't think we need to search for a particular, existing format. It seems ADA has some problems to be a choosen format here. It looks cheap (cases are cheap!), the recording thind is a main feature of the format, what's the point to choose the format but skip it's main feature? Also, what's the cost of such a format?

My guess is still that Panasonic will create a new high-density optical disc, without any specific feature, only known technology (I believe thanks to the already known HD-DVD and Blu-Ray tehcnology you can create something similar, just like the Dreamcast GD) and probably aiming to be cheaper thanks to a smaller capacity (at least not cathing the Blu-Ray).

nordique

Yeah well if Nintendo is still cheapy Nintendo we will have a 4GB flash memory in it, either way 8GB ^^

The storage capacity make me asking another quetion: Have the disc media already be discussed? All we know is from the E3 2011 fact sheet, and describe it as a high-density 12cm proprietary optical disc. I'm thinking of something in-between a regular DVD and a HD-DVD. Will a proprietary disc with "only" 10GB per layer be a problem?

the disc will be proprietary but based off Blu Ray, the same way the Wii discs were based off DVDs

so essentially they will be Blu Ray discs without the Blu Ray name so no licensing fees would need to be paid to the Blu Ray consortium.

wsippel

Banned
Rösti;36201917 said:
Do you know what media is used? No need to elaborate on it, unless you want to of course.
I don't know for sure, but it's 120mm and seemingly uses a 405nm laser, so the physical format is most likely the exact same as Blu-ray - or HD-DVD for that matter. So "Blu-rays" with a proprietary file system instead of BDFS or UDF and a "Blu-ray drive" with custom drive firmware. You don't have to pay the Blu-ray consortium for the physical format. As long as the actual disks don't use BDFS and your drive won't read "standard" Blu-rays, you don't have to pay a dime.

now how did cookychan get himself banned?

man just played GTA SA collecting oysters before I even open all the areas... I love games with cheats
KuGsj.gif

I still hope the month ends with some WiiU news because trying to pass the time playing old games is not working as well as I hoped. At least I get Kid Icarus on Friday

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know for sure, but it's 120mm and seemingly uses a 405nm laser, so the physical format is most likely the exact same as Blu-ray - or HD-DVD for that matter. So "Blu-rays" with a proprietary file system instead of BDFS or UDF and a "Blu-ray drive" with custom drive firmware. You don't have to pay the Blu-ray consortium for the physical format. As long as the actual disks don't use BDFS and your drive won't read "standard" Blu-rays, you don't have to pay a dime.
Now this is some illuminating information, and I can see the reason for your comments about the ADA format. It would naturally be more profitable for Nintendo to choose a physical format close to or exactly the same as Blu-ray as many developers are used to that. Though I must keep wondering if there is something cheaper that works just as good or even better than Blu-ray. Not counting the HD DVD, there's also the China Blue High-Definition, though I doubt Nintendo wants to enter that market. Panasonic's most likely I think for Nintendo to choose as partner for this.

more than banned, permed.

wow, well i kinda saw that coming tried to tell em in the last thread about his humour what did he do?

edit: Oh I See the mod must have made a loop back and gunned down everyone laughing at our reaction smh so many got owned in on pass

oh well no GAF E3 for those guys

I wonder if Kojima is really going to skip WiiU with is ultra serious topic game :|

darthdago

Yeah well if Nintendo is still cheapy Nintendo we will have a 4GB flash memory in it, either way 8GB ^^

Even if you dont mean it that way, a lot of ppl see it that way...
They dont want Nintendo to be "cheap" and only put 4/8 GB into WiiU zhey would love it to be 16/32GB or even more....
-> but then when it comes to price tag, it has to be "cheap"...

guek

Banned
I'd be happy with 8GB onboard + 4GB SD. It'd be sweet if the onboard flash could be used by the system as a cache as well.

What I'm expecting though is 4GB onboard + 8GB SD. The SD card is more or less worthless though if it's under 16GB. It's just nintendo's way of showing people directly "Hey! This thing has expandable memory!!"

I'd be happy with 8GB onboard + 4GB SD. It'd be sweet if the onboard flash could be used by the system as a cache as well.

What I'm expecting though is 4GB onboard + 8GB SD. The SD card is more or less worthless though if it's under 16GB. It's just nintendo's way of showing people directly "Hey! This thing has expandable memory!!"

I thought the flash was already confirm at 8GB since E3 2011?

HylianTom

Banned
Ouch. I just realized what carnage I slept through here.

I also like how "Pachter" has become something of an insult. I chukled.

I also find it funny that we're waiting/ ooking for news from a print source. How very old fashioned!

Not really, 360's first year was pretty terrible sales wise. And that's at $299/$399.

If Wii U only sells as well as 360 did upfront, I think msny in the industry would consider that a flop.
If it sells as 360 it will be considered as a flop and if it sells like Wii it will be considered as a fad.

HylianTom

Banned
Rösti;36204431 said:
And if it sells like iPad 3 (three million since its launch on Friday, March 16)?

Nintendo is sending agents to buy them back, to create an image of stability/popularity. It'd be a long-term strategy, obviously..

Rösti;36204431 said:
And if it sells like iPad 3 (three million since its launch on Friday, March 16)?
Its Dooomed, but seriously the media made me believe that the Wii was going to be a huge flop before it was released since it wasn't HD, and boy they were wrong.

qq more

Rösti;36204431 said:

Then uh... maybe still a fad!

or doomed

EDIT: Or more accurately, they will ignore its success and write articles of how consoles are dying while citing PS4 or 720's slow sales!

NeoRausch

Rösti;36204431 said:

nah, ain't gonna happen. nintendo gonna restrain it like the wii! HA! try to get one.

gotta catch them all.....at least one?

HylianTom

Banned
nah, ain't gonna happen. nintendo gonna restrain it like the wii! HA! try to get one.

gotta catch them all.....at least one?

I'm seeing lines stretching for blocks..

I'm seeing the Nintendo Juicy™ going for $2000+ on eBay..

I'm seeing Iwata, Miyamoto, and Reggie laughing like cartoonish maniacal supervillains..

Delicious.

AzaK

So some NDAs might expire next monday?

When were we supposed to get news about ACIII and Epic Mickey 2?

I'd almost bet a ban that any NDA lifted between now and Nintendo's U'Splosion will still prohibit screen shots though :p

My PS3 had 40GB and I managed 'OK' but I wasn't a heavy user. I downloaded a reasonable number of demos and bought a handful of PSN titles and that's about it. I can imagine that 1/2 that could suffice for a lot of casual/family/light users. I just hope that they put enough in so that those users could last the cycle without adding an HDD as I could see that being a bit of a turn off for them. Me, I'm happy to add an HDD when the supplied storage is full or just buy me a bigger SD.

I like how Nintendo gave 2GB in the 3DS, it's been more than enough for me so far.

Good morning!
Good morning to you too! Nice to have some cheer in this thread :)

Top Bottom