• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Nilaul

What is the possibility on mods trolling us? For making a countdown, and another thread too early and not closing this thread on purpose.

Nilaul

Why are there two Wii U speculation threads? What the fuck is wrong with people?

One speculation thread aint enough for the all the Wii U hype contained in the great lands of Neogaf. Neogaf speculators need two threads inorder to speculate and discuss and calculate probabilities more efficently. Its like a cpu; a dual core cpu core is more efficient then a single core cpu.

Don't look at me I'm just riding this baby till it dies. Plus it also gives me time to decide whether I should actually be more active in the new thread or just shy away like I did here.

Hmm. So end of Thread 2 was when the Havok and Autodesk licensing news broke, and the middle of this thread saw the Green Hills licensing news. I wonder if Nintendo is planning on licensing and giving away any more middleware before E3. Any speculation on what they might yet provide?

I mean, obviously major stuff like Unreal Engine and Crytek's equivalent is right out, but there are probably many other helpful libraries that smaller third parties could use.

20,000+ posts of zero news. Can't say I'm sad to see you go.

Green Hills was a pretty major news item. Which is why I posted asking about it. Come on guys, this is a SPECULATION thread. Join in on the speculation!

So far, Nintendo is providing physics, animation and debugging to third parties. What's left that they could need? Perhaps a standardized networked play API? Does anybody provide that?

You know, mods would be slightly less likely to lock the thread if it actually contained useful content instead of every post being just "omg, page 726 ahoy!" :p

donny2112

No more Metroid Prime remakes. Super Metriod 3-D. Prime can take a rest for a while. The trilogy was just released ~2.5 years ago, I think.

I'm more than 20 pages behind again. Has no RE6 on the U actually been confirmed officially..? Any theories on why..? Or is the NDA situation preventing them from talking about it. Given their close relationship during these last few years I'm stunned if they don't support the U right from the beginning.

I was expecting news of RE6 and an exclusive Monster Hunter at this years E3 but if Capcom have decided to shun the U for one of their biggest franchises this will certainly sour their relationship with Nintendo, surely..? :eek:/

I'm more than 20 pages behind again. Has no RE6 on the U actually been confirmed officially..? Any theories on why..? Or is the NDA situation preventing them from talking about it. Given their close relationship during these last few years I'm stunned if they don't support the U right from the beginning.

I was expecting news of RE6 and an exclusive Monster Hunter at this years E3 but if Capcom have decided to shun the U for one of their biggest franchises this will certainly sour their relationship with Nintendo, surely..? :eek:/
It's all NDA right now. No game will be announced before E3.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
leW0o.png

I better add some context to this. I wouldn't call it a conclusion. I would say it's no more than a hypothetical scenario of what would easily be many scenarios IMO. This is based on the Wii U GPU (last I heard) will have some unknown (by me) "Nintendo-designed" feature(s). Those unknowns could be anything. I think my version is slightly different from wsippel's. If these unknowns were fixed and/or programmable functions (no TEVs), they would have silicon dedicated to them. From there the GPU would have something like 400-480 ALUs. Run-of-the-mill ports would most likely only take advantage of the 400-480 ALUs and in turn would not have much of a difference, if any, between Wii U and PS360 games. Games built from the ground up would incorporate these functions on top of the ALUs allowing for a more noticeable difference. So if this custom GPU were say 600Mhz, just with the ALUs you're looking at 480-576 GFLOPs (2-2.4x Xenos). Games that incorporated the other hardwired functions while using the shaders would make the GPU equivalent to a 1 TFLOP or more GPU.

Again I just want to reiterate this is just a hypothetical of what the GPU might look like if it didn't resemble a "traditional" GPU that had 640-800 ALUs.
Basically like how they said back in the day that Gamecube alledgedly had Volumetric Fog acelerating instructions hardwired into it? Or what 3DS has?

That might actually be good, since those acelerations can make those effects "free". I hope they have silicon dedicated to MLAA (sans-lag, please).

It's hardly a "omg, they're cramping it" they probably got rid of the DirectX 11 instructions/dedicated GPU area as well as other useless things and are instead using that space for something else.

EDIT: Oh jesus, I just replied to page 242 of this thread. I clicked it and it opened there so there I went. Silly me.

Top Bottom