• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlawd

He's also said in the past that the Wii U should be powerful enough to run PS4/720 games on lower settings somewhat comparably Xbox-->PS2.

bg, do you still stand with your Wii U = PS2 of next gen where the Wii U is noticeably the weakest but is still able to get downports of the other two consoles?

jmoe316

Just because I'm gaseous doesn't mean I don't have life intelligent and big enough to kick youranus.

>:3

Back on focus though:

Heh, I think the last thing people have on their minds at the moment is relaxation of any kind, though my own jelly beans are seriously bouncing for some new footage on the main Wii U UI.

Android 4.1 OS confirmed!! j/k, but wasn't there some rumour in the last year that said Wii U would run Android and have all those apps at launch? Maybe that's the final KO to get everyone on board.

So bgassassin just confirmed the leaked specs as legit?

Disappointing.

Problem is, what just leaked tells us basically nothing. Without clock speeds or cache sizes the CPU data means nothing. Without clock speed, bus width, number of ROPs and SPU count we can't guess the GPU speed either. The only meaningful piece of data is that it has 1GB of RAM. We already pretty much knew that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It just confirms that he knew about this 'rumour' before we did, as did EC. Do they know what the CPU consists of though, speed, same for the GPU?!?!?! Yes... No... Do you?

I don't, no.

It just confirms that he knew about this 'rumour' before we did, as did EC. Do they know what the CPU consists of though, speed, same for the GPU?!?!?! Yes... No... Do you?

The only thing new about this leak is confirmation of the CPU codename and that it's related to Broadway. Pretty much everything else goes off the earlier specs leak except clarification of the eDRAM as an accessible MEM1.

andthebeatgoeson

Problem is, what just leaked tells us basically nothing. Without clock speeds or cache sizes the CPU data means nothing. Without clock speed, bus width, number of ROPs and SPU count we can't guess the GPU speed either. The only meaningful piece of data is that it has 1GB of RAM. We already pretty much knew that.

Nor does it mean these are official. Maybe it is but that statement just seems to reiterate that the rumor is out. Either way, hoping for 50% rate of 3rd party ports.

The_Lump

Banned
I guess this means that Nintendo is really "hard cor" now. ;)

It is entirely possible to have a chip that uses the same architecture with a pretty different microarchitecture. My Phenom II runs code made for the original, decade-plus-old 32-bit Athlon. In the same manner, it could be said that the cpu is "Multiple beefed up Athlon cores at a higher clock", even if that description is a bit disingenuous.

So Nintendo could have had custom designed a multithreaded core that simply kept the ISA of the Broadway (or a superset thereof), so they get the benefit of full backwards compatibility (without having to deal with emulation) but much higher performance, in terms of both IPC and total vroom.

That's a nice, sensible way of putting it. I don't think it's impossible that that's what the CPU is, it's just the description and it's apparent source that seem odd. Thats why it would be unusual to have come from warioworld, which is nintendos own developer portal. The only people that would know for sure if that's how Nintendo had designed the CPU, is Nintendo themselves. And I don't think theyd describe it like that to developers. It may well be a suped-up broadway, but I think it's a more likely a description based on a developers experience, rather than an literal description.

Still, a ~3Ghz tri core is what I was expecting, so that fits sort of, assuming a broadway chip can go that high? And can broadway support multi threading?

Another note, When Espresso was posting these exact rumours a while ago, someone made the point that a broadway with multi-threading and edram and OoOE - is no longer really a broadway CPU :)

Edit: ALSO! Worth noting that BG, who seemingly also had this same info, was advocating a CPU with two broadway-esque cores and one Power7 derived core as a possibility. So I don't think people should be losing their shit over the '3x broadway cores' quote.

*reads my post again* It's me isn't it. I'm the one losing my shit...

Triton55

I don't think the comparison Xbox / PS2 will apply at all, unless you think the other two nextgen consoles will also cheap out on almost everything.

We'll see. Excited for the conference on thursday though!

Well, no, indications are that Sony and Microsoft are going for powerful consoles once again. The thing is, that most games that gen were primarily developed for the PS2, so a lot of ports didn't make full use of the Xbox's strong capabilities. Maybe low-end PC settings to high-end is a better analogy. This is only repeating months old tidbits though.

Well, no, indications are that Sony and Microsoft are going for powerful consoles once again. The thing is, that most games that gen were primarily developed for the PS2, so a lot of ports didn't make full use of the Xbox's strong capabilities. Maybe low-end PC settings to high-end is a better analogy. This is only repeating months old tidbits though.

One thing to keep in mind is that Nintendo will be going for profitability at $250-300. For Sony and Microsoft, "not going the power route" can still mean taking a modest loss at $350-400 (that is to say, a system whose total cost to build could be half again or more as high as the Wii U's), which could still yield a substantial performance difference, even if the difference in release time frame were not taken into account.

Earendil

That's a nice, sensible way of putting it. I don't think it's impossible that that's what the CPU is, it's just the description and it's apparent source that seem odd. Thats why it would be unusual to have come from warioworld, which is nintendos own developer portal. The only people that would know for sure if that's how Nintendo had designed the CPU, is Nintendo themselves. And I don't think theyd describe it like that to developers. It may well be a suped-up broadway, but I think it's a more likely a description based on a developers experience, rather than an literal description.

Still, a ~3Ghz tri core is what I was expecting, so that fits sort of, assuming a broadway chip can go that high? And can broadway support multi threading?

Another note, When Espresso was posting these exact rumours a while ago, someone made the point that a broadway with multi-threading and edram and OoOE - is no longer really a broadway CPU :)

Edit: ALSO! Worth noting that BG, who seemingly also had this same info, was advocating a CPU with two broadway-esque cores and one Power7 derived core as a possibility. So I don't think people should be losing their shit over the '3x broadway cores' quote.

*reads my post again* It's me isn't it. I'm the one losing my shit...

No, it does not. But it does support Symmetrical Multi-Processing, which may or may not be as good. Depends on the situation apparently.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I hope Component cables output in 720p for WiiU. The HDMI port on my TV has bust and I can't afford a new one right now :\
I used to run my ps3 over (my ps2's) components, after using them earlier to do 1080i on the ps2. So I would not worry about that. You'd be surprised how little digital signalling gives over good old component when it comes to sheer picture quality of up to 1080p@30.

Ryoku

Goddammit. Still don't know the specs of the GPU (or CPU, for that matter). Fuck :/

I opened that thread thinking "Finally....", but instead, it turned out to be "Not this shit again".

Oh well, guess we'll have to wait a couple of months for the specific specs.

I used to run my ps3 over (my ps2's) components, after using them earlier to do 1080i on the ps2. So I would not worry about that. You'd be surprised how little digital signalling gives over good old component when it comes to sheer picture quality of up to 1080p@30.

Thankyou :) Will be nice to know that after years of waiting for Nintendo to go HD, I'll be able to actually enjoy it!

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Final launch detail blowout.

Last two months? I really can't remember.

• The usual techno-babble,
  • UE4 possibly already officially supports Wii U,
  • box art designs leaked,
  • New Super Mario Bros U has a Super Mario World-style overworld map with branching paths and all.
  • Battle Mii tech demo turned into Metroid Blast in NintendoLand, features glowy lights, 5 players
  • Balloon Trip Breeze attraction based on Balloon Fight, Epic Yarn artstyle.
  • Stephen Totilo at Kotaku seems to be one of the few who "gets" the Wii U (wrote article about Miiverse, detailing the stuff we learned about in the pre-E3 Nintendo Direct but reiterated in a personal interview with Iwata)
  • Mass Effect 3 port may turn out to be the best version of the game, more quick slots for skills on screen, map. Includes motion comic by Dark Horse that lets you make choices from ME1+2 (like the PS3 port of ME2 did)
  • John Carmack would've loved to put Doom 3 BFG Edition on Wii U and Vita but the Powers That Be don't want him to. (weird paraphrase here, don't read too much into it)
  • Retro hired a bunch of former idSoftware/Treyarch, Vigil, Naughty Dog, etc veterans

that's all I got right now

10 AM EST

Zero Pikmin 3 info.
Thanks for the summary. Too bad for me that the conference couldn't have been last week. Will have to sneak peeks about the news on my mobile. Interesting that Nintendo is having it during work hours, when only the unemployed can see it live. Perhaps this is a hint that they are going to price it low, $250 or less?

D-e-f-

Banned
dagnabbit!, been on board all morning and no one has mentioned it. anyways, does NA get anything or do we just watch the EU direct?

erm did you miss that there's the Sep 13 media event in NY?

At the very least there'll be liveblogs, I would also expect a live stream of Reggie's stage presentation.

What are the times for all the confrences est? And links? Im pretty lost today with all the news.

oh man, 10 AM EST! (for the NY thing and the EU ND)

ohlawd

I'm just gonna head on over to my chem class and miss the 30 min-1 hour long presentation.

You guys better link some good livebloggers :p

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Hmm it won't load for me.

Hmm. I took a screenshot.

wiiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

majik13

erm did you miss that there's the Sep 13 media event in NY?

At the very least there'll be liveblogs, I would also expect a live stream of Reggie's stage presentation.

oh man, 10 AM EST! (for the NY thing and the EU ND)

well yeah, thats what we are talking about, the NYC media event, yet I do not live in NY and there is no NA Direct or stream announced as far as I know.

640ALU @ 600mhz on 28nm process would in fact make a ton of sense with the waves of media that have been saying that the GPU is good for the past 6 months or so. I think that is what everything points to, and if so... It won't be quite as far behind as I thought. I hope fixed function shaders are there too, if only so that games will continue to have great lighting that really beats out what we have seen from the current gen.

as for the CPU, those are all interesting clock speeds, here is hoping to at least the 1920MHz, but I can see that 1440MHz coming true.

I agree. Though I would like to see all shaders programmable for dev flexibility. The clock for the CPU would most likely be 1800Mhz or 2400Mhz in that case.

mmm... Volume manufacturing of 28nm HKMG wafers is still pretty poop this year, and really, it's going to be an absurd cost while demand exceeds supply @ TSMC.

There is also the eDRAM - TSMC only offers down to 40nm at the moment. Of course, they could do a separate chip, but that has its own set of caveats.

I was wondering when you would show up to "poopoo" on the that. :p

So, its right to think the Samaritan level will not be archived in Wii U even at 720p?

http://www.abload.de/img/samaritanprocessingrel3yqn.png

Yes. Wii U would not be able to do Samaritan 1:1 at 720p.

So this has probably been covered already, but just wanted to see if this was still true. If the the rumored Wii U specs in the other thread are in fact the real deal, is there still a good chance of it at least getting PS4/720 downports?

Other than that still excited for thursday! Woo!

bg, do you still stand with your Wii U = PS2 of next gen where the Wii U is noticeably the weakest but is still able to get downports of the other two consoles?

Yes. These (vague) specs are a part of the basis for my view. The other part being how the other two are shaping up.

My bad. Credit to wsippel. But regards to you both for keeping these threads interesting with fresh scoops...

gDDR3, unless I'm mistaken, is pretty much regular DDR3 just fine tuned to hold up to the rigors of gaming. So whatever you want to call it, I believe we can agree on them 2 gigabit DDR3 chips (DDR3 2133 downclocked to 960 Mhz).

For some reason I was thinking gDDR3 stopped at 1Gb. I just found a PDF on the 1Gb version and Samsung has gDDR3-2400 (assuming the same for 2Gb). It could still be used even if the GPU were 600Mhz.

I understand your stance on capacity. However, I still see 1.5 GB as a safer bet. If the 1 GB of RAM in the dev kits for system applications was so untouchable and such a mystery, why can't we just assume that, just as they did for the 1 GB of RAM available to games, they added twice as much as needed to the dev kits? So the final system would be targeting 512 MB for system applications, with the extra 512 in dev kits for debug, a safety net for experimenting, etc. It even says in that old specs sheet that dev kits would have up to 3 GB (which aligns w/ what you and Ideaman have told us regarding the breakdown of what RAM is available to whom and for what), and that retail units would have half that. So even if Nintendo included 1 GB for "OS" in the dev kits, they clearly state that the final would not.

Oh I'm not saying you can't assume that. I'm taking it from the perspective of Nintendo being Nintendo and possibly overcompensating for the non-gaming functions. And for there to be an option of 1.5GB for games, I'm working under the idea that 2GB is the total amount and they had to decide how much early on would be dedicated to the non-gaming features. And at least for now they decided on 1GB/1GB for gaming and non-gaming.

I think all of that stacking talk was hypothetical, but you never know. That said, I believe it's possible that the eDRAM is right on-chip, not an MCM, but fully embedded ,as on Flipper and POWER7. As we've discussed, it wouldn't add much to die size or TDP, and the benefits would be numerous.

I'm not just talking about the stacking, but the usage of TSMC as well. Like I mentioned the stacking could be hypothetical, but the usage of TSMC could be true and was used for the hypothetical talk on how the stacking would be handled between foundries.

I think that its just this spec rumor is in line with his educated prediction, so he's just giving credence to the claim.

No, they're legit. My educated prediction has come from using them as a basis (including other info I could dig up) since the original target specs first came out.

Margalis

Banned
And you know that because?

Because if you had actual information you wouldn't need to speculate endlessly.

Edit: It's pretty simple really, you are either a licensed Nintendo developer with access to actual specs and a devkit or you aren't, and it seems pretty clear that you aren't.

majik13

So whats the deal is everyone just saying eff the nyc event and just watch the EU ND or what?

If there is no video stream of the NYC event, then why not? Can watch that and also have a liveblog up of the NYC event. I dont see why there wouldn't be some stream or NYC Nintendo Direct though.

Hoodbury

Lots of tech talk.

Hey BG, could you go into what these leaked specs mean in regard to all that GP/GPU talk that was going on a couple months ago? Weren't you and others saying a good GP/GPU would alleviate some of the pressure off of a weaker CPU?

Does the leaked specs still say that?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Wouldn't he need to have all the actual information in order not to speculate endlessly?

Hmm. I took a screenshot.

wiiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

I like the blue Nintendo Direct logo. The last time that happened, we got a great Pre-E3 Nintendo Direct.

So whats the deal is everyone just saying eff the nyc event and just watch the EU ND or what?

It's still uncertain whether or not the US event will be live streamed. If I didn't have class, I would probably have a live blog on the US event open as well as Europe's Nintendo Direct. However, both will likely show the same thing. The only difference might be pricing and dates.

I speculate endlessly because Nintendo is not giving full details. What you are seeing is what Nintendo is giving devs. (Beaten by blu)

But to keep this discussion from extending needlessly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41461225&postcount=377

Hey BG, could you go into what these leaked specs mean in regard to all that GP/GPU talk that was going on a couple months ago? Weren't you and others saying a good GP/GPU would alleviate some of the pressure off of a weaker CPU?

Does the leaked specs still say that?

These are a summarized version of the final specs. They wouldn't have any affect on previous talk. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom