• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

majik13

Jesus, none of you lot not got optical out on your TVs? Come on, get with the times!!

unfortunately in most cases, the tv does not carry the surround sound through the TV. Optical out of a TV is generally only to get surround sound from cable/ or a coax connection input into the tv. If you pass hdmi to the tv, then Optical out, Pretty sure it is standard regulation to down sample to stereo, or no audio at all.

It sucks, I think it is a part of DRM rearing its ugly head.

My surround headphone receiver only has 1 optical audio input. Both the ps3 and 360 are being split/merged in to 1 line. Even though My TV does have Optical out, I do not think I will be able to get surround sound out of the wii u.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
ok in all seriousness, why am i being looked down upon for speaking against something that has been going on for several pages and has 0 evidence of being true?
Part of the piling on is because there was confusion about what was being said, the other being some subtle baiting on his part questioning you're intelligence and integrity. Your justin timberlake post play right into it. Neither side took the time to evaluate the others position.

Def's original statement is worded wrong. It's easy to miss his context; I did it myself and have even altered this post because of it. He said that it wouldn't work with "...ANY Wii U games..." which is incorrect and silly to assume. He should have said that it wouldn't work with "...'ALL' Wii U games..." referring back to the original question and would have been more accurate as developer needs to program their game to use.

Can't be too specific. But let's say the framerate is one of the way to benchmark the "performance" of a game running on a dev kit. They managed to increase the framerate of their projects by a lot since my Spring posts. It's thanks to a lot of parameters, between new dev kits, sdk revisions, improvement of their engines, etc. All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it definitively confirms that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitively have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF uck!

big-shake-commercial.gif

brainpann

Besides, on a broader subject than sound, a little golden nugget: the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach for their projects between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

Hype Get!

The_Lump

Banned
Can't be too specific. But let's say the framerate is one of the way to benchmark the "performance" of a game running on a dev kit. They managed to increase the framerate of their projects by a lot since my Spring posts. It's thanks to a lot of parameters, between new dev kits, sdk revisions, improvement of their engines, etc. All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it confirms that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitely have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.

Wow, that's great news. And thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Can't be too specific. But let's say the framerate is one of the way to benchmark the "performance" of a game running on a dev kit. They managed to increase the framerate of their projects by a lot since my Spring posts. It's thanks to many parameters, between new dev kits, sdk revisions, improvement of their engines, etc. All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it confirms if it was needed that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitely have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.
Who are we talking about here lol? Developers or specific devs or what?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Who are we talking about here lol? Developers or specific devs or what?

Besides, on a broader subject than sound, a little golden nugget: the level of overall improvement some developers managed to reach for their projects between my Spring posts and now is awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

It's for existing games, already presented.

The_Lump

Banned
Not to change the subject from Ideaman's rather tasty morsel of info...

But I've just been in the "3DS supports 128GB SDXC" thread. Does anyone think this will also work with Wii U? I'd much rather get a massive High Speed SD card than have an HDD sat in my lounge :D

Can't be too specific. But let's say the framerate is one of the way to benchmark the "performance" of a game running on a dev kit. They managed to increase the framerate of their projects by a lot since my Spring posts. It's thanks to many parameters, between new dev kits, sdk revisions, improvement of their engines, etc. All while enhancing the image quality, the effects.

It's a positive news and as Iwata said, it confirms (if it was needed) that the Wii U, as every other new system, takes time to master for developers. They definitely have a better grasp on the machine than a few months ago, and this greater familiarization is seen through this leap on performances i've just touched upon.

Idea Mon Mon Mon. We need those Nintendo Mon

Aguila

#ICONIC

HYPE !

reporter_faints.gif

Thank you for adding more hype to our hype.

Oersted

Only positive things, with a surprising quality for the gamepad speakers.

On development side, i know that a former SDK revision (the 2.05 i think) was kinda buggy for sound, and some developers preferred to remain on the previous one while waiting for a fix. It's settled since.

HYPE !

choo choo

but they were specific:
Which common sense tells us is nonsense. One of the cores being of similar nature, that bg suggested/speculated, is the essentially where the line of plausibility is drawn.

That is why I am expecting a lot of new game announcements in the next few weeks coming out of Japan. There simply has to be a lot more coming.
I would expect ports of PS3 titles - e.g. Ni no Kuni - would work well with the screen.

-----

Also I'm assuming they must be in production phase by now considering the launch is at most two and a bit months away.

Banned
I'm pretty down with Nintendoland. I'm not saying I'm going to play the hell out of it, although I'm sure it'll be used for some multiplayer nights with friends. But I'm down with the possible philosophy behind it. I think I read on this forum some time ago that Nintendoland is Nintendo's way to introduce casual players to the 'core' Nintendo franchises. That is in line with the idea that Nintendo wants to mold both casual and core markets together into one big army of Nintendo fans. Nintendoland, at launch, is the first step in getting casual gamers familiar with the Nintendo franchises, such as Mario, F-Zero, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etcetera.

It is also for that reason that I think bundling the game with the Wii U is an absolute must. That way, everyone buying the Wii U will play it. I'm also not opposed to the idea of bundling the Wii U with a download code for Nintendoland. That way almost everyone will know the way to Nintendo's eshop the second they play their first Wii U-game.

I hope Nintendo takes this route. Would be very smart indeed.
The problem with NintendoLand is it doesn't reflect the gameplay elements of those franchises. You're better off just demoing a level from each franchise or turning the levels into a minigame type thing so ppl know what the franchise consists of. Zelda game should be a sword combat game, world 1-1 should be the Mario game, a race should be F-Zero's game, etc.

So. What youre saying is. Is that existing games have some sort of graphical improvments?

I think what people want to know is have these improvements been unleashed on demo units recently, or are we still to see new builds with these improvements.

Do yo know anything about Ubi having issues getting particle effects working on AC3. why they were missing from navel battle?

Kouriozan

Nice to see Ideaman hyping us again, I missed it since WUST :)
2 weeks left! I know it's nothing when you waited for more than a year >.<

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So. What youre saying is. Is that existing games have some sort of graphical improvments?

Well, all i can say is explained in my posts: some already announced and presented games on Wii U, saw their framerate greatly improved during their development, since my Spring posts. It shows that developers got a better grasp on the system, on the tools to make their titles on it, etc. And yep, this cool news comes with improvement in the visual department also (more effects, and implementation of anti-aliasing, etc.).

Have any changes been made to the hardware at this final stage that would be improving performance - i.e. as I've read on here, often clockspeeds aren't finalized until very late in development?

What would you define as greatly improved e.g. Going from 30 fps -> 60 fps. Going from a choppy 30 (or 60 fps) to stable 30 (or 60) fps?

tkscz

Well, all i can say is explained in my posts: some already announced and presented games on Wii U, saw their framerate greatly improved during their development, since my Spring posts. It shows that developers got a better grasp on the system, on the tools to make their titles on it, etc. And yep, this cool news comes with improvement in the visual department also (more effects, and implementation of anti-aliasing, etc.).

Well then, I guess all the haters will just have to

IqLKT.gif

(Sorry, I just wanted to use this image).

Grok4Spock

The problem with NintendoLand is it doesn't reflect the gameplay elements of those franchises. You're better off just demoing a level from each franchise or turning the levels into a minigame type thing so ppl know what the franchise consists of. Zelda game should be a sword combat game, world 1-1 should be the Mario game, a race should be F-Zero's game, etc.
Nintendo Land isn't as much about the franchises as it is using them as themes for different ways to showcase all the functions and features of the Wii U GamePad. The whole theme park thing is a way for Nintendo to show what Miiverse is capable of..

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Have any changes been made to the hardware at this final stage that would be improving performance - i.e. as I've read on here, often clockspeeds aren't finalized until very late in development?

What would you define as greatly improved e.g. Going from 30 fps -> 60 fps. Going from a choppy 30 (or 60 fps) to stable 30 (or 60) fps?

well, i used bold and underline. So it's great great, not meh great. It's not just 5 fps more. Don't know however if this kind of improvement has been witnessed across the board, for other games, but it involves at least a few ones.

Now i need to sleep :p

Daknight

Man, I am surprise my sister is bugging me so much about information on Wii U O_O I have no idea how she heard of the thing giving she isn't an avid gamer or anything. But for months she is been asking me when it comes out and price.

Probably saw the spike recording of Wii U that was on the DVR at my dad's place or something.

Now she is got me wanting information so badly...and here I was trying to stay unhype for Sept 13 and just be surprise...but damn it, between her calling and reading Ideaman's info...I have bought the hype train ticket with no return!

jerd

Has this been posted? Its a latency test showing the gamepad screen displaying images before the TV does.

http://youtu.be/mM_jlMy3F3Y?hd=1

Edit: Doesn't say specific model of TV or anything though. The difference seems fairly significant but it could just be the slow motion.

Edit 2: More of a comment on the lack of lag between input and images on the gamepad than presence of lag on the TV :)

So is the WiiU CPU way more powerful than Xbox360 and PS3 and developers just don't have proper optimized code for it?

I know PS3 and Xbox360 packed rather weak CPUs and relied on SPU and what not to get around bottlenecks. Could be the reason why some third parties are saying the WiiU CPU seems weak? It's the engines they are using which are tuned for current gen architecture?

To the first question it's way too soon to know. It does seem to be clearly different thog To the second question very likely yes. And yes to the third.

This reminded me that the WiiU has a I/O processor, GPGPU and a DSP. But this does bring up a question. Now we keep hearing that the WiiU's CPU is weak, but is it possible that it is just being programmed for incorrectly? By this I mean, the games being ported to the WiiU are made for consoles that have in-order CPUs, older GPU's that are not GPGPU's and no DSP. Couldn't that, theoretically, be holding down the WiiU's CPU with unnecessary processes and making it slower than it should be?

Yeah the lack of optimization as far as hardware utilization is something we've talked about before. I definitely see it as being a big burden for a CPU that's most likely designed to offload tasks to other components.

So, if that was the case, what kind of performance could be expected from code written specifically to run on that kind of hybrid processor?

Unfortunately that's a question beyond my level of knowledge due to unknown limitations. I came up with the notion based on the description given at the time and the notion of handling the OS in a more efficient manner.

That's only if you buy the non-specific action-figure WiiU accessory.

NFC enabled?

Surprisingly, only 6x TI99/4A cos, you know, not enough shaders and the wrong type of RAM.

When will they learn.

srsly though, I'm liking bg's "assymetric" (see what I did there) CPU core theory. I remember someone on b3D mentioned a similar idea and it sounded highly plausible and very Nintendo like.

Would this be it?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1654548#post1654548

awesome, huge, bigger than what i expected and said back in those days.

HYPE !

Positive and expected. Sorry this can't be used to mean anything.

Not to change the subject from Ideaman's rather tasty morsel of info...

But I've just been in the "3DS supports 128GB SDXC" thread. Does anyone think this will also work with Wii U? I'd much rather get a massive High Speed SD card than have an HDD sat in my lounge :D

I'd use it over a HDD depending on a USB 2.0 port.

If the TV isn't in game or PC mode, it's gonna lag a bit for any game input. Putting it in the proper mode should resolve this. Really irrelevant anyway since one can't look at both the tablet and TV simultaneously.

It's not irrelevant for playing games on it. But I think most people had been assured that lag wasn't a problem at the E3 reveal.

Before the reveal I had predicted it winning the same comparison to a laggy TV. *insert link to ancient prophetic post*.

I am just guessing, but similar to how people had Wii issues where it can't work in sunny rooms (in the sunniest rooms I have never had this problem but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist), I kind of wonder if the Gamepad is going to have massive latency problems because they have not accounted for everything a person may have that could interfere.

I am just guessing, but similar to how people had Wii issues where it can't work in sunny rooms (in the sunniest rooms I have never had this problem but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist), I kind of wonder if the Gamepad is going to have massive latency problems because they have not accounted for everything a person may have that could interfere.
It's Nintendo.

So stumbling is not just likely but assured.

Signal interference wouldn't cause latency, but there could be quality settings depending on signal quality, which could introduce frame rate reduction + latency, or lower resolution picture depending on how they solved getting the picture across with less bandwidth. I'm not really expecting it though, you'd probably just have to stay nearer the system or move all that interfering shit out of the way/ move house.

RooMHM

If the TV isn't in game or PC mode, it's gonna lag a bit for any game input. Putting it in the proper mode should resolve this. Really irrelevant anyway since one can't look at both the tablet and TV simultaneously.
Exactly. Wouldn't it be *good* to have a few ms latency in favor of the tablet so you can catch from where your eyes left the tablet screen? Don't know how it would work for multiplayer games such as Rayman tho.

What is Ideaman saying that's getting everyone so excited? Something about sound?

When the final dev kits first came out (to some) around January, they had a small performance gain over the 4th kit based on at least one benchmark test that I know of (the gain was 3FPS). Ideaman told us that the kits then went through an extended tweaking phase before being released a few weeks before E3. So IM is saying that with the final, final hardware, familiarity with the hardware, optimizations, etc., the gain is even larger than he expected it to be according to his sources.

Has this been posted? Its a latency test showing the gamepad screen displaying images before the TV does.

http://youtu.be/mM_jlMy3F3Y?hd=1

Edit: Doesn't say specific model of TV or anything though. The difference seems fairly significant but it could just be the slow motion.

Edit 2: More of a comment on the lack of lag between input and images on the gamepad than presence of lag on the TV :)

The reason this happens is because Nintendo wanted to make sure there was no delay on the GP at it's maximum range of 500ft. Because of this, as the controller gets closer to the TV, it updates quicker than the TV. This should be obvious though.

Kacho

Gold Member
When the final dev kits first came out (to some) around January, they had a small performance gain over the 4th kit based on at least one benchmark test that I know of (the gain was 3FPS). Ideaman told us that the kits then went through an extended tweaking phase before being released a few weeks before E3. So IM is saying that with the final, final hardware, familiarity with the hardware, optimizations, etc., the gain is even larger than he expected it to be according to his sources.

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification, bg.

The reason this happens is because Nintendo wanted to make sure there was no delay on the GP at it's maximum range of 500ft. Because of this, as the controller gets closer to the TV, it updates quicker than the TV. This should be obvious though.

Lol, don't forget to take into account that the picture from the TV is also travelling at the speed of light to your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom