• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you mean greatest Smash Bros. newcomer ever?

yesjacknicholson.gif

Basch

Not to be a dick, but I'm surprised people are excited for this. I know, graphics aren't everything, but Nintendo seems like it's playing catch-up in every other way too. It's ridiculous that Nintendo STILL doesn't have a competent online service, and I'm sure its too late to integrate with Nintendo 3DS. The launch doesn't seem that interesting. And I'm sure 3rd party support will drop in a year. I don't intend to buy it if is $300 or above, but I'll consider it if it's less AND if they manage to convince me it's worth investing in early tomorrow.

I probably am being a dick now. -_-

Gaborn

Not to be a dick, but I'm surprised people are excited for this. I know, graphics aren't everything, but Nintendo seems like it's playing catch-up in every other way too. It's ridiculous that Nintendo STILL doesn't have a competent online service, and I'm sure its too late to integrate with Nintendo 3DS. The launch doesn't seem that interesting. And I'm sure 3rd party support will drop in a year. I don't intend to buy it if is $300 or above, but I'll consider it if it's less AND if they manage to convince me it's worth investing in early tomorrow.

Except sales.

Its ok, you and rest of gaf can hype Vita Heavan :p

Oersted

Looks at allstars and move. Nope.

With regard to sales, I'm curious what impact the cumulative installed base will really have on the upcoming generational transition, considering most of that was built up early in the generation.

Momentum and mindshare coming from the Wii's success doesn't feel particularly strong, considering they essentially left it to flounder for years.

One has to wonder what in-roads Microsoft and Kinect have made, particularly in the US market.

Of course, it may have absolutely no bearing.

KU_

With regard to sales, I'm curious what impact the cumulative installed base will really have on the upcoming generational transition, considering most of that was built up early in the generation.

Momentum and mindshare coming from the Wii's success doesn't feel particularly strong, considering they essentially left it to flounder for years.

One has to wonder what in-roads Microsoft and Kinect have made, particularly in the US market.

Of course, it may have absolutely no bearing.

Momentum and mindshare from the GC to the Wii was arguably the most abysmal in the history of the industry. Casual consumers are going to hop in most likely without regard to previous generations.

Momentum and mindshare from the GC to the Wii was arguably the most abysmal in the history of the industry. Casual consumers are going to hop in most likely without regard to previous generations.
I agree, but that was arguably a different market than the one that brought the Wii's success.

The latter - the audience the Wii brought in - was new then. It isn't now - it's no longer a blue ocean.

Since 2010, Microsoft has been targeting this new market and trying to build mindshare with Kinect. (That's without mentioning the Apple elephant in the room.)

nordique

All 7 of them :p

*gasp* :O

photo_1201925_resize.jpg

I am also a Jets fan...you will see Nordiques fans are like Jets fans...all over the place and among the best in the league (one day for the Nords, currently true for the Jets)

Er...sorry for the OT moment guys...carry on...Wii U thing happening tomorrow or something along those lines

True that. lol

I should have edited my post: the launch doesn't seem very interesting, except Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends, in my opinion.

Since I haven't played the first two Pikmins, I'm not particularly hyped about their successor. I have Rayman Legends and Zombi U as particularly compelling titles. The latter is a surprise, since I think I actually literally facepalmed when I heard the game's name.

I'm keeping my eye on P-100. That might be really great or it might be of no interest to me. It'll probably be that both are the case.

That said… tomorrow, I have to stay at home to wait for the gas meter reader, then when I get to work I'm out for an hour to give blood. It's like the day is plotting against me! What say, you, GAF… since the Nintendo thing is apparently a six hour dealie, when's the best time to actually leave the Internet for an hour?

edit: I am going to get that NPC Pikmin game, so I might eventually get hyped for 3.

edit2: Also, avatar changed to Iwata version of my MRI. :D

Oersted

Iwata says good morning:

[岩田]みなさん、おはようございます。本日16時から、Wii Uの価格や発売日を発表させていただくのに加え、追加のお知らせがあります。#NintendoDirect

rough google translation:

You [Iwata], good morning. From 16:00 today, in addition to let you announced the release date and the price of Wii U, there is an additional announcement. # NintendoDirect

Yuripaw

Banned
IT BETTER GOD DAMN BE!

Well I saw this posted by looking at the last few pages. I still haven't gotten my GI in the mail, so I can't confirm, but this sucks if true...

The big Wii U article in the newest GI mentions the following games for Launch Window & Beyond:

- Aliens: Colonial Marines
- Game & Wario
- Pikmin 3
- Project P-100
- Rayman Legends
- Wii Fit U

As for the games listed as "holiday", which means games releasing close to the system's launch, they are:

- AC III
- Batman: AC AE
- Ben 10: Omniverse
- Darksiders II
- Family Party - 30 Great Games
- FIFA 2013
- Game Party Champions
- Jett Tailfin
- Just Dance 4
- Lego City: Undercover
- Madden NFL 13
- Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth
- Mass Effect 3
- NSMBU
- NG 3: Razor's Edge
- Nintendo Land
- Rabbids Land
- Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
- Scribblenauts Unlimited
- Sing
- Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
- Sports Connection
- Tank! Tank! Tank!
- TTT 2
- Trine 2: DC
- Transformers: Prime - The Game
- Wii U Panorama View
- Your Shape: FE 2013
- ZombiU

The 2 lists are launch window, and holiday...and Rayman shows up under launch window :( As much as I wanna play NSMBU...if Rayman Legends doesn't make the holiday, I might wait on getting the Wii U at launch. That was a system seller for me.

GDGF

Soothsayer
So now there are TWO Japanese Nintendo Directs, in addition to the European one and the American Wii U conference.

NCL has announced an additional presentation by Satoru Iwata for Sep. 13th at 11 pm in Japan, covering the 1st and 3rd-party Wii U software lineup.

When does the JP software event start in my time zone? Click this link for worldwide times. (Simultaneous with western events.)

Where can I watch it? Right here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_direct_wiiu_preview/index.html

I will be providing live translations here in the OP and on my Twitter feed, @Cheesemeister3k.

Beaten!

oh man, can't believe it is finally almost time for us to get some more details on the Wii U. Pretty hyped! Nice to know I will wake up to some solid news tomorrow!

NCL has announced an additional presentation by Satoru Iwata for Sep. 13th at 11 pm in Japan, covering the 1st and 3rd-party Wii U software lineup.

When does the JP software event start in my time zone? Click this link for worldwide times. (Simultaneous with western events.)

Where can I watch it? Right here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_d...iew/index.html

I will be providing live translations here in the OP and on my Twitter feed, @Cheesemeister3k.
Let me get the brooms so people can start sweeping their salt.

jacksrb

I have thought of the following three 3rd party developers as some of the best on Nintendo hardware of late, and am excited to potentially see some of their labors tomorrow (all currently doing Activision projects, interestingly):

- Vicarious Visions [Skylanders something?]
- Did the sublime THPS 2 on the GBA launch and the Wii/DS Guitar Hero games​
- Eurocom [007 Legends]
- Dead Space Extraction
- GoldenEye 007​
- Treyarch [BLOPS 2]
- Ported MW4 engine to Wii
- Brought BLOPS and MW3 out day and date with the other versions​

BLOPS2 better have someone aiming with the Wiimote. And Pikmin 3 needs to be at launch.

And they should delay NSMBU until Pikmin 3 reaches at least 300k sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom