• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U To Use 'Modern', 'Custom' AMD GPU With Multiple Display Support (5000+ series?)

USC-fan

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I keep seeing these Wii numbers used, but the sources I'm checking say 1.73 x 6.18 x 8.48 inches for a volume of 90.7 cubic inches. Which still leaves Wii U about 40% larger--though as it (and X360) is a bit more rounded than Wii that mucks with things a bit.
If that is true. Then is would be 30% bigger.

But the xbox 360s is 200% bigger than the Wiiu.

Kenka

wsippel said:
WiiU only seems a bit bigger than Wii, but it has a much larger internal volume.

Wii :

volume : 6.18 inches wide, 1.73 inches tall and 8.48 inches deep = 90.6 inches cube (1.2 kg)
dissipative surface : (6.18*1.73)*2 + (1.73*8.48)*2 + (8.48*6.18)*2 = 155 inches square

Wii U :

volume : 6.8 inches wide, 1.8 inches tall and 10.5 inches deep = 128.52 inches square
dissipative surface : (6.8*1.8)*2 + (1.8*10.5)*2 + (10.5*6.8)*2 = 205 inches square

Wii U is 128.52/90.6 = 141% as large as Wii.
Wii U has 205/128.52 = 159% as much dissipative surface as Wii

Dissipative surface is a good tool to work with since it is proportional to the power emitted. You can roughly say that the Wii U has a 59% headroom in dissipation in regard to the Wii. Of course, it is totally irrevelant in our case given the complexity of the physical arrangement of stuff inside but, hey, who cares.

Amir0x said:
yeah but without the ability for devs to depend on it with every console it seriously diminishes the potential benefits the HDD could have for games on the platform

besides the only one screen controller thing it's the only flaw I can think of

I think devs can still depend on space existing, there was technically (a pittance of) built-in storage on the Wii and last we heard the rumor was 8 GB built in to WiiU. Not comparable to a HDD for sure but enough to where devs can count on there being enough space for map packs and stuff. Then it's up to people whether or not they want to do the SD card shuffle or spring for a USB HDD. Personally I've got no shortage of USB storage so if not including a proprietary drive reduces the cost of the console I'm all for it.

The one WUT per console is a head scratcher though, but it's early yet so there's a chance they'll make some changes after seeing people's reactions and expecations of using more than one.

Kenka

Encore regarding the heat dissipation thing :

This video (from Kotaku) shows some hands-on the Wii U (literally) :

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZeldaInformer#p/u/8/oo15iruRD9I

You can see how flat and long it actually is, which is perfect for dissipation. I think Wii U engineers did tackle the problem. We could probably have a more power-consuming GPU inside that what we got in the Wii. I hope we get something in the 50 Watts range.

Truth101

Banned
Kenka said:
Encore regarding the heat dissipation thing :

This video (from Kotaku) shows some hands-on the Wii U (literally) :

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZeldaInformer#p/u/8/oo15iruRD9I

You can see how flat and long it actually is, which is perfect for dissipation. I think Wii U engineers did tackle the problem. We could probably have a more power-consuming GPU inside that what we got in the Wii. I hope we get something in the 50 Watts range.

I've always hoped Nintendo would be able to engineer something as magnificent as the gamecube again. Maybe the Wii U will get there.

wsippel

Banned
Kenka said:
Wii :

volume : 6.18 inches wide, 1.73 inches tall and 8.48 inches deep = 90.6 inches cube (1.2 kg)
dissipative surface : (6.18*1.73)*2 + (1.73*8.48)*2 + (8.48*6.18)*2 = 155 inches square

Wii U :

volume : 6.8 inches wide, 1.8 inches tall and 10.5 inches deep = 128.52 inches square
dissipative surface : (6.8*1.8)*2 + (1.8*10.5)*2 + (10.5*6.8)*2 = 205 inches square

Wii U is 128.52/90.6 = 141% as large as Wii.
Wii U has 205/128.52 = 159% as much dissipative surface as Wii

Dissipative surface is a good tool to work with since it is proportional to the power emitted. You can roughly say that the Wii U has a 59% headroom in dissipation in regard to the Wii. Of course, it is totally irrevelant in our case given the complexity of the physical arrangement of stuff inside but, hey, who cares.
WiiU also doesn't have the Gamecube panel. Also, due to the fact that the drive doesn't seem to read 8cm disks, it should be less complex and a bit smaller.

Vinci

Danish
Truth101 said:
I've always hoped Nintendo would be able to engineer something as magnificent as the gamecube again. Maybe the Wii U will get there.

I like the small but potentially vital detail of the ridges on the side to keep it from being pressed flat against a surface.

Jinko

If Nintendo are too lazy to bring us decent online they should partner up with Valve and bring steam to the Wii-U.

It's besides the point because I doubt the system shown has the full hardware, probably a placeholder GPU/CPU, I wouldn't be surprised to see both the console and the controller change before we see it next year.

mclem

Truth101 said:
I've always hoped Nintendo would be able to engineer something as magnificent as the gamecube again.
What about the Wii's slot loading drive? That thing is witchcraft!

Zinthar

The console is probably 14-17 months from release, so it's safe to say the hardware isn't done and that's why they're not talking about it.

Given that it's a 2012 release that will need to target somewhere around $300 retail and Nintendo will likely want to at least break even on that, I think we'll get some mid-range 2010 PC GPU (hopefully Radeon 5770 level) with some custom hardware features that better suit it to console application. 5770 level is probably asking too much of Nintendo, but we can hope right?

Should be more powerful than 360/PS3 by quite a bit, but that may be irrelevant if Sony & Microsoft come to E3 2012 with new hardware (ie that competes with high-end PC at the time) and get the third parties to develop the next gen on their systems first, leaving PS3/360 ports for the Wii U. If that occurs, then the Wii U may not get much better third party support than its predecessor did.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Abominable Snowman said:
Until we know the clockspeed, the actual model, or the 'customizations' made to the R700/5000 we won't know exactly how much more powerful this thing is over the 360, or the potential power edge true next-gen consoles will have.

For all we know, this thing could get Dreamcasted by the PS4 having a 16/32SPU cell running at some insane speeds and a more modern/next gen GPU running at a higher clockspeed, or a Xbox Next running 8-cores and a SLI GPU Setup.

If Sony/MS announces next-gen consoles with a severe tech edge, even if they arent releasing for another year, Nintendo goes back into relying on its main IPs and the casual market, as the hardcore will bleed before they have a chance to launch the Wii U

thing is, if dreamcast had the marketshare and backing, no reason it couldn't have had ports of multiplatform games - it wasn't *that* underpowered. other things did it in. WiiU should be good enough to handle multiplatform titles alongside PS4/720, using the same development pipeline. Wii suffered because it was so underpowered you had to port specially for it, and that means you need too much of an expected return to make it viable. As 'just another sku' with relatively low incremental costs to develop, its much more likely to be along for the multiplatform ride next time round. Add to that the solid first party titles they always bring and WiiU could do very well.

i also agree with Zen, that we have amazing things awaiting us once next gen comes out and the dev baseline shifts.

Curufinwe

Zinthar said:
The console is probably 14-17 months from release, so it's safe to say the hardware isn't done and that's why they're not talking about it.

17 months from now is January 9th, 2013.

Takeda Kenshi said:
Pretty sure 17 months from now would be November 9th, 2012...
Not if we skip November and December. They were extra months anyway. Same with January and February really. Mars through Augustus are the only ones that really count.

Mindlog

HisshouBuraiKen said:
The one WUT per console is a head scratcher though, but it's early yet so there's a chance they'll make some changes after seeing people's reactions and expecations of using more than one.
I understand ATI's multi-display work and the Ryu's pad resolution. However, there's still a cost associated with multiple screens. If they want to fully support two tablet screens it's going to take more horsepower or reduced fidelity. I'd be willing to wager this is part of the reason some specs are a bit nebulous even though the kits are already out.

KHarvey16

AceBandage said:
I doubt it's using a mobile GPU...

Yeah it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to spend the nre on a custom part just to get a mobile GPU. Who knows though, hopefully whatever they go with won't bottleneck the CPU, or vice versa.

[Nintex]

Bitmap Frogs said:
They'll slap a 5750m on it and call it a day.
I don't think Nintendo would spend billions in R&D to bolt a 6" touchscreen on a controller and use some of the shelves parts for their box.

Raistlin

Datschge said:
Try to put in a GC size disk into such a car radio and get it out again.
Actually the PS3 accepts them as well IIRC, so it's not like it's an unheard of tech. But yes, many do not without a special caddy.

Prez

[Nintex] said:
I don't think Nintendo would spend billions in R&D to bolt a 6" touchscreen on a controller and use some of the shelves parts for their box.

I think billions is a bit of an overstatement...

Datschge said:
Try to put in a GC size disk into such a car radio and get it out again.

It's still as much magic as the tiny people in a box in your living room.

Zinthar

[Nintex] said:

Sony spent billions in R&D on Cell and then combined it with nothing more than a slightly modified GeForce 7900 GT and then dubbed it RSX.

Nintendo will probably have ATI start with a modern, mid-range Radeon PC card and then customize it to better suit console gaming, lower the clocks a bit to reduce heat, and call it a day.

Buggy Loop

Whats ArtX team been up to at ATI-AMD? Anyone know if they're responsible for any recent PC GPUs in the market? If they arent, they could potentially have been working on a custom GPU for nintendo. They're responsible for Flipper.

Zinthar

Buggy Loop said:
Whats ArtX team been up to at ATI-AMD? Anyone know if they're responsible for any recent PC GPUs in the market? If they arent, they could potentially have been working on a custom GPU for nintendo. They're responsible for Flipper.

Have they been heard of since, like, 2005?? I'd bet they were reorganized elsewhere within AMD's graphics division following the merger.

iamblades

Buggy Loop said:

They've pretty much been absorbed into the mainline AMD GPU development, but they were at least substantially responsible for ATi's turnaround starting with the R300(the legendary radeon 9700 pro).

Top Bottom