• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U UK Sales Rose Almost 125% Last Week

So apparently good news is no news?

Might as well call NeoGAF "ShitalloverWiiUGAF" since that's what it's become. For all it's faults and even lower sales, Vita was never treated this poorly.

Also, ENOUGH WITH THE "NO GAMES" BULLSHIT! I guess strong system sellers like NSMBU, ZombiU, Nintendoland, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Lego City aren't games. Not to mention several strong ports including the console superior NFS Most Wanted U. Go check what the PS2 had in it's shitty "launch window" and you'll wonder how the hell it became so huge (outside of being the cheapest DVD player.) Some newer systems take time to find their footing. Like the 3DS did.

Look, normally I ignore this stuff because there is a lot of truth to it. Nintendo is charging too much for this system and it's sales are hurting as a cause and making publishers shy away. I know that. But the constant attacks on the system in ANY thread it gets mentioned in is getting to be a bit much. It really is a great system and I love the Miiverse. Just not at the current price.

So criticism, yes. Out and out attacks in every thread the system is mentioned? No. Cut down on the cynicism already. It's getting out of hand. It's hard. I know. But having a more positive outlook on things is much better than being negative all the time.

As a vita owner I say lol sir.LOL.

Might as well call NeoGAF "ShitalloverWiiUGAF" since that's what it's become. For all it's faults and even lower sales, Vita was never treated this poorly.

Also, ENOUGH WITH THE "NO GAMES" BULLSHIT! I guess strong system sellers like NSMBU, ZombiU, Nintendoland, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Lego City aren't games. Not to mention several strong ports including the console superior NFS Most Wanted U. Go check what the PS2 had in it's shitty "launch window" and you'll wonder how the hell it became so huge (outside of being the cheapest DVD player.) Some newer systems take time to find their footing. Like the 3DS did.

Look, normally I ignore this stuff because there is a lot of truth to it. Nintendo is charging too much for this system and it's sales are hurting as a cause and making publishers shy away. I know that. But the constant attacks on the system in ANY thread it gets mentioned in is getting to be a bit much. It really is a great system and I love the Miiverse. Just not at the current price.

So criticism, yes. Out and out attacks in every thread the system is mentioned? No. Cut down on the cynicism already. It's getting out of hand. It's hard. I know. But having a more positive outlook on things is much better than being negative all the time.

Ehhh, not worthy of a meltdown of this magnitude. And yes, Vita was most certainly roasted much worse than Wii U has been. Much much much worse and for much longer. Given what the Wii U is, and what Nintendo is doing with it and to it, it's getting the treatment it deserves. If Nintendo wanted better for it, they would have tried harder. The issue here isn't people disrespecting a console that is deserving of respect, the issue here is why was Nintendo so damn unprepared in every bloody regard (games, marketing, third party relations)?

Road

Meltdown aside...

Is it ok to post screenshots of the MCV magazine (since it is paid, not free)?

We had this doubt in the Pal threads but never asked any mod about it, I think. Spares the time of transcribing stuff, if it is ok.

Mileena

Banned

You must be oblivious to Vita threads or something. This is GAF.

FIFA Week 12 PS3 <4.2K> BLOPS2 360 (56%)
=>
BLOPS2 PS3 <3K> AssCreed III 360 (53%)
=>
AssCreed III PS3 <2.3K> MGRR 360 (36%)

MGRR 360 is at position 28 on the UK charts with less than 2.3K sales.

Nintendo Land is at position 36, including hardware bundles. When last we heard, the Premium comprised most of the HW sales. I.e. you're still looking at somewhere around 3K, this week. Possibly quite a lot less.

All the percentage really shows is how Wii U sales were even more dire prior to this game's release and the price cut.

Nintendo Land is at position 36, including hardware bundles. When last we heard, the Premium comprised most of the HW sales. I.e. you're still looking at somewhere around 3K, this week. Possibly quite a lot less.
Hardware bundled software is included in the UK? Has this always been the case?

It's hard to see a £140 price cut resulting in a 125% sales boost as especially good news.

Burai

shitonmychest57

Ummm, they may well be games but they certainly aren't "system sellers".

madmackem

Deja vu from the Vita selling 4x threads

Alls fair in love and console war I guess!

edit: £199 for Premium Zombi U bundle is NOT a £140 drop. Not if you knew where to buy one beforehand. £199 is the price I'd like to see the premium at though, so very good none the less. I wasn't aware HMV were doing that.

It is a £140, the wii u premium was £300 at launch plus the game which was £40. These arnt the zombi bundles these are straight up console and game.

SparkTR

£140?!? I would hope sales rose!

Get me some of that price cut down here in Australia and I might start thinking about the WiiU.

I was just thinking that there's no way that number is right, it's insanely cheap for such a new system. The thing should be flying off the shelves even more than 125%.

AHA-Lambda

Not surprised but I expected more tbh, plus I don't see this as sustainable.

Anecdotal: a friend of mine tried to get one at hmv and they had sold out.

Frodo

I was just thinking that there's no way that number is right, it's insanely cheap for such a new system. The thing should be flying off the shelves even more than 125%.

It is not an official price cut. It is s promotional price by HMV, which by its turn is closing down, doesn't sell online and already had some of its doors closed.

Also, as some people said, the period may not even account for this specific sale (so the rise in sales would be all, or almost all, on MoHun's back), since it only officially started on Monday.

madmackem

Not surprised but I expected more tbh, plus I don't see this as sustainable.

Anecdotal: a friend of mine tried to get one at hmv and they had sold out.

Yeah this price cut is only at hmv, it isnt a widespread price cut, hmv dont even have a website anymore either and alot of their stores have shut. Its both not a big bump but also expected in such a small scope price cut by one chain which has both lost its online store and many stores around the country.

AHA-Lambda

HMV did not take a loss on this sale.

It's no coincidence that Nintendo had this big meeting with UK retailers then a week later a sale appears with the Wii U premium at a very attractive price point.

Holy hell, damn xD
Looks like Nintendo is considering this heavily on a more permanent basis. Zomgbbqftw, can you comment on how sales for the week look? I'd have thought a bigger increase than this given how steep the discount is.

Ps: guys MH had barely anything to do with this, no one cares about it outside of Japan.

Bert

I got one from HMV just because the price made it an impulse purchase. Have boughT NSMB and Lego City since so I'm happy for games now but there is literally nothing else on the eShop.

I'd download old games by the dozen if the virtual console was up, but its not.

However. The machine is awesome. This is the perfect living room companion/all in one remote and they've gimped it!

No On Demand, no TVii in the UK, no flash in the browser, no ability to play Blu rays, no customisable remote, no media center to speak of. WTF Nintendo, you could be selling this as a media center that plays Nintendo games for £200 and these things would fly off the shelves.

For the love of god, if they don't want to add functionality themselves at least make an App Store like iOS/Android so independents can fill the holes. Get iPlayer, Twitter, FB and a media player like XBMC and this thing will sell even if no more games come.

I just can't understand how they can go to the effort of creating perfect hardware for the vision described in the reveal then fail to supply even the most basic software.

Xun

I got one from HMV just because the price made it an impulse purchase. Have boughT NSMB and Lego City since so I'm happy for games now but there is literally nothing else on the eShop.

I'd download old games by the dozen if the virtual console was up, but its not.

However. The machine is awesome. This is the perfect living room companion/all in one remote and they've gimped it!

No On Demand, no TVii in the UK, no flash in the browser, no ability to play Blu rays, no customisable remote, no media center to speak of. WTF Nintendo, you could be selling this as a media center that plays Nintendo games for £200 and these things would fly off the shelves.

For the love of god, if they don't want to add functionality themselves at least make an App Store like iOS/Android so independents can fill the holes. Get iPlayer, Twitter, FB and a media player like XBMC and this thing will sell even if no more games come.

I just can't understand how they can go to the effort of creating perfect hardware for the vision described in the reveal then fail to supply even the most basic software.
It would be great if Nintendo allowed us to buy a license to play films, but this sadly won't happen.

I don't mind much, but it would've been cool.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So now an increase of 125% is bad? Yes, previous sales were terrible and it needs to keep increasing at a steady pace, but still ...
Everything is bad when it comes to WiiU, read the WiiU load times comparison video thread ...some people were even upset about that, guess there is nothing between being the hot shot or a fucking bomba. Lets see how Nintendo can change that perception.

Jay Sosa

So now an increase of 125% is bad? Yes, previous sales were terrible and it needs to keep increasing at a steady pace, but still ...

yes, an increase of just 125% is bad considering what they sold before. You're not good with numbers, are you?

At least it had an effect... Sigh... How were they able to put themselves in such a terible position?..

I'm happy for MH though. I wish it finds itself a place in the west. I'm playing it on 3DS and I'm so much in love that I might consider getting a WiiU to play it on the big screen and go online...

At least it had an effect... Sigh... How were they able to put themselves in such a terible position?..

I'm happy for MH though. I wish it finds itself a place in the west. I'm playing it on 3DS and I'm so much in love that I might consider getting a WiiU to play it on the big screen and go online...

It's a bit too early for that.

Tri on Wii sold better than 3DS+Wii U versions put together in UK on launch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
yes, an increase of just 125% is bad considering what they sold before. You're not good with numbers, are you?

My numbers are fine, how's your logic?

First, tell me "what they sold before"?

Secondly, both referenced sales numbers can be bad, but an increase is usually a good thing, at list in my world. The sales probably are still well under Nintendo's forecasts, but you know ... when you are performing terrible in order to reach an acceptable performance you usually pass through a bad performance, unless you have a one hit wonder on your hands. And Nintendo does not have a possible one hit wonder until fall-winter. So they have to grow steadily by then by providing enough games. This is the realistic chance they have. And from that point of view this growth is a good sign, as a response to the first games launched on the console after a long draught. Is it enough to be a success? Of course not!

Everyone acts like they were expecting Wii U to sell tens of thousands of consoles last week, so the fact that they sold 3000 compared to 1000 previously (or whatever the real number is) is an awful thing.
Again, this does not prove the revival of the Wii U, but this is not the topic here.

The PAL chart position suggests otherwise.

12th place in the UK is not really decent. Especially considering how content starved Wii U owners are. MH is a non-factor outside of Japan, MH3 shipped 1m units outside of Japan at the height of the Wii bubble. MH3U will not do those figures.

jeffers

It was pretty clear that it would chart. If you give a man dying of thirst muddy water he will drink the muddy water.

the dying man in this case has a potential 3ds-aide/360-cola/ps3-pop/pc-soda/other though... bit of a bad analogy :p though im sure wiiu owners would be a bit more willing to take a risk on the franchise, but cant imagine its a huge proportion

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think at least a few of us UK sales-agers expected MonHun to chart. Thats a loyal fanbase thats been starved of fucking nothing for years, but theyre also used to buying G versions over and over. You're looking at a baseline of like 4k hardcore UK MonHun fans and then maybe the rest made up from starved I'LL BUY ANYTHING WiiU owners.

Maybe that hardcore UK MonHun base waited til last week to buy a WiiU, who knows. The gigantic price slash probably has more to do with any surge than an extremely niche game that seemingly hasnt had any marketing (which I thought was the point of Capcom going with Nintendo....)

Lots of anger and denial at this point, but maybe we're shifting towards acceptance the WiiU is doing worse than Gamecube and what that meant for that console way back when. Except nowadays Xbox is more the member of the big two and Nintendo probably can't reach that glorious throaway £79.99 price tag quite yet.

Gold_Loot

Are you sure about that? There's been plenty of "How dead is Vita?" threads in receant months. Also Media Create threads have never treasted Vita kindly.

A few sales mavens on page 1 seemed to list Wii U prior week sales total estimates, authoritatively (EG, around 3k)

Where are those people getting those from? I always thought we had no idea at all on weekly UK hardware, barring an unusual reveal.

A few sales mavens on page 1 seemed to list Wii U prior week sales total estimates, authoritatively (EG, around 3k)

Where are those people getting those from? I always thought we had no idea at all on weekly UK hardware, barring an unusual reveal.

Guesswork mainly, I gave detailed reasonings for my 3k guess though, we could all be wrong though

SgtCobra

Yes it's very good news, except that the WiiU is still selling horrible and that's an understatement.
Did somebody over here hit a Nintynerve in your body? The Vita is also having abysmal sales and look how people react to it on the sales/Vita threads, in fact it's even treated worse. This is a case of selective perception on your side, everything that sells this bad deserves to be "shat on"

Also, ENOUGH WITH THE "NO GAMES" BULLSHIT! I guess strong system sellers like NSMBU, ZombiU, Nintendoland, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Lego City aren't games.
Please, tell me more, tell me how those games have affected the sales of the WiiU in a positive way. REAL system snellers are games like Brain Training.

I love mini meltdowns like these, it's like people are crying while typing lol

Berg

Please, tell me more, tell me how those games have affected the sales of the WiiU in a positive way. REAL system snellers are games like Brain Training.

I love mini meltdowns like these, it's like people are crying while typing lol

You are in a thread about how a game positively effected wiiU sales.

Tri on Wii sold better than 3DS+Wii U versions put together in UK on launch.
To be fair Tri was also had a gigantic "AAA" ad campaign. Did 3G even get a commercial?

Tri also wasn't available digitally and it was actually a new game. Have any other "upgraded" Capcom releases (LP Colonies, SSF4, RE5 Gold, etc) exceeded sales of the original version?

SgtCobra

You are in a thread about how a game positively effected wiiU sales.
Whooptie-doo, less than 15k WiiU's sold I guess? That's a real system seller right there! I'm talking about REAL system sellers who keep the console alive like the games the 3Ds has been getting in Japan. Sure it is positive but it's still bad, and Nintendo wants better than this and that's what I was talking, I admit that I described it different from what I meant.

Top Bottom