• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U UK Sales Rose Almost 125% Last Week

majik13

The latest edition of MCV magazine states that Wii U sales in the United Kingdom rose by almost 125 percent last week, according to retailers. The dramatic sales boost was due to the launch of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, plus HMV slashing the price of the Wii U Premium console with Nintendo Land and ZombiU by £140.

wiiusalesmcv.jpg

Source

and I am too lazy to look up what UK sales were the prior week, if it is super low, then its not a huge jump, but positive none the less I guess.

Also, in the comments of the link, some are saying the increase was from MonHun alone, as the sale didn't officially start until this monday. Though some stores were unofficially offering the sale on friday. Any confirmation?
Virtually every HMV I called were offering the deal on Friday. Once the news broke of their amazing deal (and it was amazing), virtually all stores decided to just go along with it and sell them if/when there was demand.

Well I'll be, having games people want to play and at a price that's worth the investment sells consoles. Now if only the US could get a similar price drop I'd jump on it for MH

Nintendo needs to realize that if they want to sell systems, they NEED to take big loses on hardware.

Trying to sell the system at cost is a joke when companies like MS and Sony are taking 100-200 dollar loses per unit.

worth noting thats actually before hmv started their price cut propperly, so combined with lego city their could be an even bigger boost this week

I wonder how close (or far away from) Nintendo is to hitting their revised(down from 5.5 mil) goal of 4 million Wii Us sold by the end of March.

Also, in the comments of the link, some are saying the increase was from MonHun alone, as the sale didn't officially start until this monday. Though some stores were unofficially offering the sale on friday. Any confirmation?

Virtually every HMV I called were offering the deal on Friday. Once the news broke of their amazing deal (and it was amazing), virtually all stores decided to just go along with it and sell them if/when there was demand.

HMV has 116 stores left, working on the assumption each store had a few dozen and sold them all.. they're probably the reason for this temporary blip.

Nintendo needs to realize that if they want to sell systems, they NEED to take big loses on hardware.

Trying to sell the system at cost is a joke when companies like MS and Sony are taking 100-200 dollar loses per unit.

Problem is that Nintendo can't bleed like Sony and MS can. They can afford to take a loss, but not the kind of enormous losses Sony, for example, took on the PS3 initially. They have to launch with profitable or nearly-profitable hardware.

That said, I think they should take the hit now on the system and accept some kind of immediate loss for the sake of the long-term viability of the console. The Premium at £199 was perfect for me, and that's the price I think they need to be hitting - or the appropriate equivalent in other territories.

125% of nothing is still nothing...

Deja vu from the Vita selling 4x threads

Alls fair in love and console war I guess!

edit: £199 for Premium Zombi U bundle is NOT a £140 drop. Not if you knew where to buy one beforehand. £199 is the price I'd like to see the premium at though, so very good none the less. I wasn't aware HMV were doing that.

MH3 sold < 14k together on 3DS and Wii U and 3DS version was the higher charting one.

So <7k copies of MH3 sold that week in UK on Wii U
And this is why it isn't worth marketing WiiU games.. the people who have the system are so starved for games they don't need to do much more than put an ad in ONM. Which has a readership of 25k~

PaulLFC

Wasn't it selling like 1-2k before this? so now it's at about 5k or less this week, percentages are useless without the actual figures.

Problem is that Nintendo can't bleed like Sony and MS can. They can afford to take a loss, but not the kind of enormous losses Sony, for example, took on the PS3 initially. They have to launch with profitable or nearly-profitable hardware.

That said, I think they should take the hit now on the system and accept some kind of immediate loss for the sake of the long-term viability of the console. The Premium at £199 was perfect for me, and that's the price I think they need to be hitting - or the appropriate equivalent in other territories.

not strictly true if anything nintendo is probably in the best position of the three to bleed money on a console launch, sony just cant afford to any more and i dont think ms could justify it to the shareholders for a third time, whether its good business sense though is another matter entirely

Eh, it's decent given that Nintendo still aren't interested in advertising yet.

They'll need a nationwide supermarket presence when they do.

Top Bottom