• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Update adds Off TV play for Wii mode (but you can't use gamepad to control)

FAINTS!
EWmof.gif

jwk94

I really don't see the point since you have to use the Wii remote...

It does not correspond to the operations in the Wii U GamePad. You can instead of the TV screen, playing by displaying the game screen to GamePad. In order to enjoy a Wii exclusive software, operation by the Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus is required.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
But it looks like you cannot use the Game Pad to actually control the game- you still need a Wiimote.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wait...

you can't use the gamepad to play it? even if it doesn't have motion controls?

Basically the 2013 equivalent of one of those little screens you could slot your PS1 into. The fact they can't figure out how to map the classic controller to the GamePad is baffling.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Great, I can balance the gamepad on my knees and play with a wiimote and the sensor bar in between my toes

You guys thought that games that used the wii mote would suddenly be able to use the gamepad?

Seems many of you guys got ahead of your selves.

Alfredo

It'd be nice if the Gamepad at least emulated the Classic Controller, so you could navigate the Wii Menu and play VC games...

Neiteio

WOW THAT SOUNDS GRE--

seems kinda pointless when you can't actually use the game pad to control the game.

But it looks like you cannot use the Game Pad to actually control the game- you still need a Wiimote.

It only works as a screen.

You still need to use a Wiimote to play.

EDIT: Late. =[

Uh...doesn't it still need the Wiimote?

Hrm

Wait...

you can't use the gamepad to play it? even if it doesn't have motion controls?

"It does not correspond to the operations in the Wii U GamePad. You can instead of the TV screen, playing by displaying the game screen to GamePad. In order to enjoy a Wii exclusive software, operation by the Wii Remote or Wii Remote Plus is required."

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/support/system_update/index.html + google translate.

DOWNER.

NINTENDO GONE DONE IT AGAIN.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's not perfect but this will be great for me as I often bring the Wii U on trips to a place without a tv.

GulAtiCa

I don't know why some of you thought this would magically replace Wiimote controls. lol.

Be awesome if it did, but getting ahead of ourselves.

still I needed something to help me finish Skywards Swords, The Last Story. and get other Wii classics so if they added something that will finally help me to click on Wii Mode good!

ohlawd

not surprised at the mandatory Wiimote use - srsly you guys?

This is alright with me. I'll set up my pillows as a makeshift stand and play that way.

Persona7

Banned
This is fucking stupid. You can use the gamepad screen but not the actual controller? Did I read that incorrectly? A ton of wii games have alternate control methods that don't require the wii remote.

Top Bottom