• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U version of Batman: Arkham Origins was developed by Human Head Studios

Can you post the comparison video?

I did above. :)

Here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtgYiUUmc3I

Based on the OT the following things could be surmised about this version:

• Best framerate on consoles. They all have some frame drops but Wii U seems to have the least. Overall it seems to be Wii U > 360 >>>>>>>>>>>PS3 in this regard.
  • No screentearing on Wii U.
  • Better lighting on Wii U compared to PS3/360.
  • All versions have glitches, including game breaking bugs but Wii U has less glitches than 360, PS3, or even PC with apparently no game breakers present. Including being able to actually do the Burnley tower correctly.
  • Plus Off TV Play.
  • Plus Map on the GamePad.
  • Plus Achievements Posting on Miiverse.
  • Minus Multiplayer.
  • $10 less.

Overall, of the 4 versions, it seems like Wii U may be the best version while PS3 is definitely the worst for now.

How awesome that the outsourced team 1UPed the main team, and I'll be honest, I think Human Head is a league above WB Montreal, I mean all WB did prior was the Wii U version of AC, but HH had done really good stuff prior and has been around much longer.

And many thanks for the GREAT summary! :D

Added to OP. :)

So Wii U vindicated? More power than PS360, confirmed at last.

And is it true that the other versions have screen-tearing? Wow, how do people justify this? It's ugly and awful. I'll take other drawbacks over this, yeesh.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist also had exclusive V-Sync on Wii U. :)

BUT, The Amazing Spider-Man did NOT gain V-Sync on Wii U for some batshit reason, so it's not a firm requirement (or was Spidey an exception of the rule? Late ports are okay but on-time versions get V-Sync?)

• Best framerate on consoles. They all have some frame drops but Wii U seems to have the least. Overall it seems to be Wii U > 360 >>>>>>>>>>>PS3 in this regard.
  • All versions have glitches, including game breaking bugs but Wii U has less glitches than 360, PS3, or even PC with apparently no game breakers present. Including being able to actually do the Burnley tower correctly.
  • Plus Off TV Play.
  • Minus Multiplayer.
  • $10 less.

Overall, of the 4 versions, it seems like Wii U may be the best version while PS3 is definitely the worst for now.

Plus you use the Gamepad to scan in the crime scene reconstruction sequences.

I wish you could use the map on the GamePad more.

As far as I can tell, can only navigate it. Can't set markers or use fast travel (unless missing it)

I also feel like missed opportunity with a few things. Like the crypto-device and the crime scene reconstruction scenes. Especially the latter being able to rewind/fast forward by hand would have been cool.

You can set markers. You double tap the map :)

So Wii U vindicated? More power than PS360, confirmed at last.

It was 'confirmed' since NFSMWU

AniHawk

i was kinda intrigued by the multiplayer, but i don't do xbox live, so if the ps3 version is really that bad, complete with gamebreaking bugs, i might go with the wii u version. it is $50 after all.

keakster

I wish you could use the map on the GamePad more.

As far as I can tell, can only navigate it. Can't set markers or use fast travel (unless missing it)

I also feel like missed opportunity with a few things. Like the crypto-device and the crime scene reconstruction scenes. Especially the latter being able to rewind/fast forward by hand would have been cool.

You are able to set custom markers and use the fast travel through the gamepad, you need to double tap. It's not super accurate but is much better than having to enter into a menu to do it.

I love the way the map is used on the gamepad, especially for a completionist like me. It was time consuming going into and out of the map menu in AC when hunting down all of the Riddler collectables. Being able to scroll across the entire map, zoom in and out, set markers and fast travel is very convenient. They of course could have done more, but I'm not that picky.

I did not play the Armoured edition on the Wii U to compare but I just the way the map is implemented made my decision easy when is came to 360 or Wii U. Also, from what I've seen I don't think I'm missing anything with the lack of multiplayer.

I heard the multiplayer sucks in this game, according to Adam Sessler's review of the game. Makes me wonder why it was included.

Multiplayer modes are often included to increase longevity and to encourage people not interested in the core game to buy the game so they can join in with their friends.

The problem here is that there's only one game mode, only four maps, and teams are apparently sorted randomly.

Here it is again:

How awesome that the outsourced team 1UPed the main team, and I'll be honest, I think Human Head is a league above WB Montreal, I mean all WB did prior was the Wii U version of AC, but HH had done really good stuff prior and has been around much longer.

Boss. Interest increased 100%. Between this, Deus Ex and Rayman, the U is having a run on definitive versions lately.

I did not play the Armoured edition on the Wii U to compare but I just the way the map is implemented made my decision easy when is came to 360 or Wii U. Also, from what I've seen I don't think I'm missing anything with the lack of multiplayer.

Everybody who owns a U should check out Armored Edition. It's one of the most deeply implemented uses of the gamepad out there, and the game has a mountain of content.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Here it is again:

Thanks

Penguin

Plus you use the Gamepad to scan in the crime scene reconstruction sequences.

You can set markers. You double tap the map :)

It was 'confirmed' since NFSMWU

You are able to set custom markers and use the fast travel through the gamepad, you need to double tap. It's not super accurate but is much better than having to enter into a menu to do it.

I love the way the map is used on the gamepad, especially for a completionist like me. It was time consuming going into and out of the map menu in AC when hunting down all of the Riddler collectables. Being able to scroll across the entire map, zoom in and out, set markers and fast travel is very convenient. They of course could have done more, but I'm not that picky.

Awesome.
Thanks for that
And it does make exploration easier... and in my case more distracting... think done like 4 actual missions so far

AniHawk

toys r us has a deal this week where you buy two $60 games and get a $40 gift card. thinking about gta v + w101, and using the card on batman. i do have a backlog though, so i might wait and see what black friday brings.

toys r us has a deal this week where you buy two $60 games and get a $40 gift card. thinking about gta v + w101, and using the card on batman. i do have a backlog though, so i might wait and see what black friday brings.

I'm surprised that w101 would still be $60.

Penguin

Is auto-posting "Accomplishments" to Miiverse a new thing?

It seems cool in theory, could work on the execution.. as the screenshots.. tend to be pretty bad since have so much info on screen.

It seems cool in theory, could work on the execution.. as the screenshots.. tend to be pretty bad since have so much info on screen.

Deus Ex does it too, minus the screenshots.

Calls them 'Achievements' though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Auto-posting to miiverse seems to be a new thing that happened earlier this year with a miiverse update. One other game, Your Shape Fittness of all things, got patched to enable auto-posting workout results and achievement badges to miiverse.

What would be cool here is a filter added to Miiverse to go to someone's profile and view only posts that were tagged with "accomplishment", grouped by game title. There's your achievement system folks.

AniHawk

I'm surprised that w101 would still be $60.

the website still shows it as such.

i'm expecting all three of those to get some nasty price slashes on black friday. gta v will probably be $40 and w101 will be $20. batman will probably be $30 or $40 or something.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm really interest in this edition. I loved city on wiiu. I know that some touch/second screen use is missing, but: do you GAF think that offtv, map on screen and investigation on crime scene are still worth it?
In city I loved the map always visible

Its a Nintendo game.

Understood, but it didn't sell. Pretty sure titles like SIn and Punishment 2 and Metroid Other M didn't stay at full price for long. Also, see amazon.

I'm really interest in this edition. I loved city on wiiu. I know that some touch/second screen use is missing, but: do you GAF think that offtv, map on screen and investigation on crime scene are still worth it?

Yes, certainly. And I played both prior games on PC.

Penguin

Honestly the map always being on the GamePad is amazing. I didn't think anything of it, but thinking about having to track down all of those hotspots on the map by manually navigating the menus each time.. may have dampened my enjoyment elsewhere.

Especially in regards to the Riddler's side quest

Birathen

Your shape fitness evolved does it when you get a new highscore in some excercise so its been around for a while :)

Edit: Severly beaten

Jrs3000

Understood, but it didn't sell. Pretty sure titles like SIn and Punishment 2 and Metroid Other M didn't stay at full price for long. Also, see amazon.

The only numbers I recall seeing were for JAP and EUR. Has there been numbers on how many sold in NA for w101? It could be doing way better than other markets.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Honestly the map always being on the GamePad is amazing. I didn't think anything of it, but thinking about having to track down all of those hotspots on the map by manually navigating the menus each time.. may have dampened my enjoyment elsewhere.

Especially in regards to the Riddler's side quest

thanks a lot

Hypron

• Plus Off TV Play.
  • Minus Multiplayer.
  • $10 less.

Better than the PC version? Yeah right.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It seems like the main complaint against this game is the whole "more of the same" thing. If this is my first Arkham game, I guess that wouldn't be a problem, right? I was very tempted to grab this on Wii U when it showed up on the eshop, but the trailer didn't really do much for me.

Sendou

It seems like the main complaint against this game is the whole "more of the same" thing. If this is my first Arkham game, I guess that wouldn't be a problem, right? I was very tempted to grab this on Wii U when it showed up on the eshop, but the trailer didn't really do much for me.

I don't know how it is a complaint in the first place. Maybe if Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were bad games but seeing how that is not the case I just can't wrap my head around that claim.

If it's anything like AA/AC then I can nothing but recommend it. Arkham Asylum is still in my personal top 5 games of the generation list.

If you like Batman to any degree, I say go for it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Depends on how much you value stuff like Off-TV play.

you can get Shiled if you care about that stuff (Shiled 60fps update is tomorrow) PC version also having PhysX, TXAA, soft shadows HBAO+, this in much higher res and better frameratre.

Sendou

you can get Shiled if you care about that stuff (Shiled 60fps update is tomorrow) PC version also having PhysX, TXAA, soft shadows HBAO+, this in much higher res and better frameratre.

Alright fair enough. Of course Shield alone costs more than a Wii U and this game together but if you have money to burn obviously PC is going to have the definitive version 99 times out of 100. I think Rayman Legends might be a curious exception of this though.

It's more than just off-tv play though. Anyway, I had intended to get this for PC like I did with the other two, but my PC is currently down. I'm happy with the Wii U version and the extra functionality with the Gamepad is very nice to have.

TDLink

Better than the PC version? Yeah right.

Other than the added GamePad functionality the main reason I say that is because the Wii U version seems to have the least amount of bugs, including the ability to actually get the Burnley Tower waypoint correctly and finish the Riddler side-quest. The other versions, including PC are more bug-laden. Obviously the PC version will graphically look better than the Wii U one...but I find less bugs to be > slightly better graphics.

Mr-Joker

Banned
FINALLY, over an hour of Wii U footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=k8783RhWseQ

Yep, it's from Nintendomination... but at least we have lengthy footage.

Ugh it's getting harder and harder to resist buying Batman: Arkham Origins. :(

Oh wow.

So both the PS3 and 360 versions are crippled ("unplayable post patch" PS3 and now save corruption on 360)? What the hell is going on with WB Montreal?

Human Head more competent confirmed?

Nah Nintendo sent in the Ninja to cripple the PS3 and 360 version. :p

Roo

I have to say, the spanish dub is excellent! lol

Edit: Just picked up my copy. I was very happy it was only $50.

I'm a guy and I think his voice is sexy as fuck lol

Actually, all the voices you hear from the spanish version come from mexican professional voice actors D:
Color me interested now :O

Edit: Is the 360 or the Wii U version dubbed? D:

Top Bottom