• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U's Miiverse - A Guide for Dummies

I guess they think the longer they keep it secret, the shorter time MS/Sony have to copy it (Assuming they wanted to).
Does anyone really think a software company like MS won't be able to copy whatever Nintendo comes up with given a year? Hell, neither Sony or MS have even announced their next consoles. It won't matter, which is why I don't buy that as Nintendo's reasoning for being secretive.

tnaden

Also, on Nintendo platforms up to this point, in order to become friends with people on the same system (specified people with whom you could exchange data), you were required to mutually enter numbers called "Friend Codes." This was set in place in order to prevent negative gameplay experiences caused by a few people who might derive pleasure from anonymously harassing strangers, so that games could be played without that worry. On the Wii U, you can become friends with people who share your tastes through the Miiverse, so increasing the number of people to enjoy games with is its critical mission.

That sure sounds like Friend Codes are gone! Hype.. HYPE!

Diablos54

Does anyone really think a software company like MS won't be able to copy whatever Nintendo comes up with given a year? Hell, neither Sony or MS have even announced their next consoles. It won't matter, which is why I don't buy that as Nintendo's reasoning for being secretive.
I agree with you here, but it's the only reason I can think of for Nintendo holding back the details for so long. Either that or Miiverse doesn't work yet.

Also, on Nintendo platforms up to this point, in order to become friends with people on the same system (specified people with whom you could exchange data), you were required to mutually enter numbers called "Friend Codes." This was set in place in order to prevent negative gameplay experiences caused by a few people who might derive pleasure from anonymously harassing strangers, so that games could be played without that worry. On the Wii U, you can become friends with people who share your tastes through the Miiverse, so increasing the number of people to enjoy games with is its critical mission.

Very good news.

Have you seen anything that clarifies the retail games being downloadable on day one? I saw that David Gibson received an answer that said they wouldn't. This was after we got info that they would.

so getting your friends is Miiverse based... hmmm

account system here we come :)

Positive take: Can add anyone as a friend simply.

Negative take: Can only add friends through a Miiverse recommendation engine

Actually, it sounds like you can just click on a Mii in Miiverse and send a friend request. Really easy, but whether that means friend codes are actually gone is another matter.

I think this info in addition to the NNID confirmation makes FCs basically useless. Each account may be connected to a FC, but I can't think of a situation where they would be relevant.

Very good news.

Have you seen anything that clarifies the retail games being downloadable on day one? I saw that David Gibson received an answer that said they wouldn't. This was after we got info that they would.

Satoru Iwata said:
...パッケージソフトのダウンロード販売はこれからますます加速するわけですし、Wii Uでは最初から始めるわけです...

...download sales of packaged software will continue to accelerate, and with the Wii U, [download sales] will begin at the outset...

I agree with you here, but it's the only reason I can think of for Nintendo holding back the details for so long. Either that or Miiverse doesn't work yet.
Well, the 3DS was missing some key online features at launch so I don't think it's far fetched to think the Wii U could be as well.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Actually...

... I wonder if adding friends through Miiverse will tie into parental controls. Because it sounds like a REALLY easy way to make everyone happy, is to make it so parents can set their kids' Miis as minors - and then their Miis will NEVER show up anywhere in Miiverse to adults.

Hell, making kids invisible in the network to adults would make both sides happen. Parents get told "nobody can even see your children online" and adult players would never even see restricted minor accounts, or messages from them, or in online games.

Actually...

... I wonder if adding friends through Miiverse will tie into parental controls. Because it sounds like a REALLY easy way to make everyone happy, is to make it so parents can set their kids' Miis as minors - and then their Miis will NEVER show up anywhere in Miiverse to adults.

Hell, making kids invisible in the network to adults would make both sides happen. Parents get told "nobody can even see your children online" and adult players would never even see restricted minor accounts, or messages from them, or in online games.

That would be my guess, as it sounds extremely likely.

Kouriozan

Right, that was just my wording of it.

Here's the literal translation if anyone cares:

"We're currently preparing to explain just what kind of service Miiverse is. It would take too long to explain everything at this event, so I'd like to convey such information in detail via Nintendo Direct by the time of Wii U's release."

YES, it's what I've been waiting for since september, a ND about Miiverse (and maybe other things).

I think this info in addition to the NNID confirmation makes FCs basically useless. Each account may be connected to a FC, but I can't think of a situation where they would be relevant.
If we all wanted to play each other in online 11 vs 11 co-op in FIFA 13 for instance, would we post out FC or NNID in the community thread?

RedSwirl

Actually...

So, basically, all those whining 12 year-olds would be invisible to the rest of us and they'd end up only harassing each other...

I think it's just that it's a situation similar to the 3DS's launch where they're still working on seeing what features they can have working smoothly by the time that launch comes out. They don't want to release a press statement a month before launch promising features that they can't deliver at launch or not mentioning features that they somehow manage to make fully functional by the launch time. They'll probably just wait until the week or so before launch and announce a general overview of everything they managed to get working smoothly at the time of the ND.

ha @ the idea that Nintendo is going to come up with some radical idea with their social network that Microsoft and Sony wouldn't have already thought of years ago considering they haven't spent the better part of the last decade in the stone age

people have some really cute ideas about Nintendo's capabilities

the secret innovation shit is BS

You just gave MS and Sony way too much credit... SONY did not come up with iPods/iTunes but they were in the music business forever

MS too many examples... We know you like to be cynical about Nintendo Ami but seriously stop baiting :p

jmizzal

Very good news.

I dont know about NA but Japan retail game downloads will be there day 1, Tekken tag is gonna be up to download its the only game we know so far.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
I agree. There isn't going to be any awesome hidden secret feature people haven't yet seen. The miiverse itself IS really cool. It's like facebook but for games, which is awesome.

The behind the scenes stuff is very exciting for developers, but not that interesting for consumers. Don't expect any big announcements before launch.

Hobby

Since we're translating portions of the Q&A.

Wii Uのすべてのゲームで、ゲームを終了することなく「Miiverse」を呼び出すことができるようになっていますので、個々のゲームで特別な対応をしなくても「Miiverse」の基本機能は活用できます。ソフトごとに専用の対応をしていただいくと、さらに交流や共感の機会を増やすことができると思います。

"Miiverse can be called up without ending a game throughout all Wii U games. So no matter what the game, even if it doesn't have any special [Miiverse] support, Miiverse's basic functionality can still be utilized. If each game has specific [Miiverse] support, that will further increase the chances of [player] interaction and being able to share one's experiences."

Going to quote myself from last night, too.

The Q&A session is up, but it's in Japanese. I decided to skim through it and pick out some interesting bits and pieces.

- Iwata can't say exactly when Wii U will no longer be sold at a loss, but he believes that by the next fiscal year that software and hardware combined for Wii U will contribute a satisfactory profit.

- As you can probably guess, Iwata and Nintendo weren't happy with how Nintendo-related information was being transmitted on the net before they even had a chance to post anything about it themselves. This is how Nintendo Direct came to be.

- Nintendo Directs have had a positive effect on hardware sellthrough, rate of hardware usage (guessing he means 3DS), and download numbers for demos and 3D videos.

- Iwata: "I don't know when our fans will get bored with seeing a regular guy in his 50s talking about games over and over, but I'd like to continue doing it for as long as they enjoy watching and paying attention to Nintendo Directs."

- Doesn't believe Nintendo Directs are the be all end all for marketing for them, but merely a new axis for it.

- Iwata feels the period post-holidays is of great importance for Wii U sales. They realize that they have had issues in the past with deploying too many titles at launch and then having nothing after. Luckily, they've been able to secure a very large number of games from western devs, so Nintendo have been able to shift some of their titles to post-holidays.

- What happened last year with Nintendo 3DS's sudden price drop has had an impact on what they priced Wii U at. They realized that they had to price Wii U in a price range that wouldn't cause consumers to worry that Nintendo might suddenly drop the price on Wii U again.

- Doesn't seem like there'll be paid DLC for Animal Crossing: New Leaf because it'd make the game be too costly.

- Won't have DLC for all games, really depends on the game.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/events/121025qa/index.html

Amir0x

Banned
You just gave MS and Sony way too much credit... SONY did not come up with iPods/iTunes but they were in the music business forever

MS too many examples... We know you like to be cynical about Nintendo Ami but seriously stop baiting :p

I'm not baiting. When people think Nintendo came up with something, they almost always didn't: they just made it popular. And the idea that Nintendo is somehow hiding some magical social networking secret that MICROSOFT didn't think up, the same Nintendo who has been in the stone age for online for the greater part of 10 years now and who has consistently shown - even with the 3DS, their latest platform - to be behind the curve as compared to their competitors, is going to somehow spring some pixie dust surprise and have everyone scrambling to implement the concept is absurd.

Anything Nintendo will have thought up Microsoft or Sony will have thought it up before and either rejected the concept or simply implemented it in a different fashion. From everything we've seen of Nintendo's Wii U online functionality/social networking, there is not a new idea in there. It's simply integrated in a decidedly Nintendo-like style.

Since we're translating portions of the Q&A.

"Miiverse can be called up without ending a game throughout all Wii U games. So no matter what the game, even if it doesn't have any special [Miiverse] support, Miiverse's basic functionality can still be utilized. If each game has specific [Miiverse] support, that will further increase the chances of [player] interaction and being able to share one's experiences."

I can see how Nintendo could force Miiverse coding in games by allowing the ones coded for Miiverse to show up front and center on the TV screen while the ones without support don't have much Miiverse traffic anyway so they are far out of sight

BY2K

Membero Americo
Iwata: "I don't know when our fans will get bored with seeing a regular guy in his 50s talking about games over and over, but I'd like to continue doing it for as long as they enjoy watching and paying attention to Nintendo Directs."

As long as its you, Iwata, I'll watch every time.

Every time.

I'm not baiting. When people think Nintendo came up with something, they almost always didn't: they just made it popular. And the idea that Nintendo is somehow hiding some magical social networking secret that MICROSOFT didn't think up, the same Nintendo who has been in the stone age for online for the greater part of 10 years now and who has consistently shown - even with the 3DS, their latest platform - to be behind the curve as compared to their competitors, is going to somehow spring some pixie dust surprise and have everyone scrambling to implement the concept is absurd.

Anything Nintendo will have thought up Microsoft or Sony will have thought it up before and either rejected the concept or simply implemented it in a different fashion. From everything we've seen of Nintendo's Wii U online functionality/social networking, there is not a new idea in there. It's simply integrated in a decidedly Nintendo-like style.

I'll give you credit that major companies reject good ideas all of the time. But to come in the Miiverse thread and taking a poopoo on Nintendo just because people are excited about a new feature is really not that necessary.

We already know what Miiverse basically is, a Social Network connected to your games. I don't see many here expecting some super secret thing that SONY or MS cannot DO. We are here because it is a different idea for Nintendo to be so deeply focused on something that is connected to the internet. We are here for the details of how it works.

I said baiting because you are leading people to reply to cynical accusations when there are many examples of Nintendo doing something that simply works while other companies just follow and copy the trend after seeing a successful example.

I have no doubt MS/Sony could have its very own Social Network connected to LIVE/PSN in a few months. This is not why we are here in this thread.

Amir0x

Banned
I'll give you credit that major companies reject good ideas all of the time. But to come in the Miiverse thread and taking a poopoo on Nintendo just because people are excited about a new feature is really not that necessary.

That's not what I did. I laughed at the idea of Nintendo hiding some magical social networking secret that they don't want Microsoft or Sony to know and that's why we know so little about Miiverse. I did not laugh at the idea of anyone being excited. Seeing as how obvious this is, I'm going to guess it is emotion, not rationality, that is currently dictating your responses.

We already know what Miiverse basically is, a Social Network connected to your games. I don't see many here expecting some super secret thing that SONY or MS cannot DO. We are here because it is a different idea for Nintendo to be so deeply focused on something that is connected to the internet. We are here for the details of how it works.

Right. YOU are here for that. And unless you're feeling guilty, I was specifically responding to a line of reasoning being positioned prior to the post I made that maybe the reason for the secrecy is that Nintendo is hiding some special INNOVATION. So, if you don't believe that, you really had no reason to wade into it.

And in case you're still confused, this is the comments that elicited the response:

Reluctant-Hero: "It's Nintendo. They began the trends of rumble, analog sticks and motion controls. Of course they're going to be extremely secretative."
Diablos54: "I guess they think the longer they keep it secret, the shorter time MS/Sony have to copy it (Assuming they wanted to). "

So, yes, this is part of the fabric of discussion in this topic.

I have no doubt MS/Sony could have its very own Social Network connected to LIVE/PSN in a few months.

They already do, soooo

AzaK

Got a demo of miiverse from Nintendo. Promised not to talk about it....

Sorry peeps.

I can say one thing: Nintendo is a changed company. They actually care about there developers with the wii u. It's amazing.
Who are you?

That sure sounds like Friend Codes are gone! Hype.. HYPE!
Not really, just that you can become friends through Miiverse. Given the reasoning he gave for friend codes in the first place I feel they'll want to keep them.

THAT is the reason they are being secretive; to avoid backlash :)

ha @ the idea that Nintendo is going to come up with some radical idea with their social network that Microsoft and Sony wouldn't have already thought of years ago considering they haven't spent the better part of the last decade in the stone age

people have some really cute ideas about Nintendo's capabilities

the secret innovation shit is BS

So on one hand you say Nintendo don't invent anything (Which is bullshit as we all know) and only copy and make popular but then say they can't make a gaming social network better. I agree that there's no reason to keep it secret, I just think they are spacing out their info (And maybe finishing it up) but it sounds like you're scared Nintendo will make something better than your beloved SONY/MS?

And finally, I actually think it is possible for Nintendo to make something very cool simply because they think outside the box and approach things from a different perspective than most.

@Ami people talking about Nintendo shutting up because of MS/SONY are not really unreasonable. Nintendo has said so themselves many times.

They come out and talk about a GamePad with a screen. Vita can do it! SmartGlass come out before the WiiU! Yeah I would STFU too after that no matter how little it matters I would STFU.

So not unreasonable what those guys are saying. I am not saying MS/SONY do not have ideas but they seem to enjoy dropping some similar feature if Nintendo tries to be cute and different.

wsippel

Banned

Yeah, MS really sucks at coming up with new, usable concepts. They usually just copy something and then "improve" it (which usually makes it worse than the original). Really weird considering their size and the huge amounts of money they pump into R&D.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Coming up with ideas is easy. Deploying them in a great way is not. There were MP3 players and attempts at online music sales before the iPod and iTunes. Apple didn't stumble across a stunning idea nobody had ever thought of. That's a reason why shortsighted tech pundits mocked Apple's product reveal because it was "nothing new or interesting". They ignored the potential of the execution, certain that they had already "seen it all".

I would say a reason why a lot of people are interested in Miiverse is because at first blush, there are good ideas there. It is shortsighted, if not cynical, to dismiss its potential because the underlying technologies are "not new".

I agree. There isn't going to be any awesome hidden secret feature people haven't yet seen. The miiverse itself IS really cool. It's like facebook but for games, which is awesome.

The behind the scenes stuff is very exciting for developers, but not that interesting for consumers. Don't expect any big announcements before launch.

I'm fine with this. I'm not really expecting any big announcements. I just want to see it in its fully fleshed out form so I can have an idea of what to expect and how it will actually work. I want to see what happens when I press the home button during the game and what kinds of options I have and what I can do through Miiverse. I think finding out how we will connect with others who share interests with us interests me most.

Yeah, MS really sucks at coming up with new, usable concepts. They usually just copy something and then "improve" it (which usually makes it worse than the original). Really weird considering their size and the huge amounts of money they pump into R&D.

I think they come up with a lot of good stuff or they would not be where they are today.
But it seems harder for them to take one thing and dominate the field like they did with Windows.

It does not seem to hurt them much with these experiments. I expect one day all of this will payoff for them.

Amir0x

Banned
So on one hand you say Nintendo don't invent anything (Which is bullshit as we all know) and only copy and make popular but then say they can't make a gaming social network better. I agree that there's no reason to keep it secret, I just think they are spacing out their info (And maybe finishing it up) but it sounds like you're scared Nintendo will make something better than your beloved SONY/MS?

The examples people constantly list as Nintendo's new inventions are almost uniformly not created by them. They always refine and then popularize. The refinements are generally where the innovations come from.

The examples people list were not Nintendo inventions - they didn't invent analog sticks or rumble packs or motion controls. These technologies existed, they were on game controllers prior to Nintendo's version of them (yes, even motion controls) and they simply lacked the refinements or marketing push to take them to the mass market. People keep acting like Nintendo is inventing these things that nobody else can possibly know about without even a cursory glance at current technology.

Similarly, the idea that I give a shit whether Nintendo would make something "better" than Sony or MS is the most comical assertion I've ever heard. Maybe it's a foreign concept to hardcore fanboys, but I'm a gamer, I don't play companies. If Nintendo made something "better" than Sony or MS, then it would be better, and I would play that instead (or more frequently). Similarly, the first console I got last gen was Wii, the last was PS3. The first console I'm getting this new gen is Wii U. Nintendo games occupy something like 60% of my top 50 games list. Pikmin 3 is my most anticipated game anywhere.

The point I was making was clear and without any ulterior motives. There is no magical secret social networking innovation that is causing Nintendo to be mute about the features, and this is demonstrated time and time again by every attempt Nintendo has made to enter these realms (and it is demonstrated by what we do know about Miiverse - there's just not much new there at all.. unless you're counting integrating it with a controller screen as "new"). They have always, without exception, been behind the curve on this. Even the 3DS, which has only come out a year ago, it was laughably outdated in this regard. In one more year they're going to have improved so much that they set the standard and then invent something Microsoft or Sony haven't already thought of before (to such an extent they would require secrecy)? Come on. Be serious.

And finally, I actually think it is possible for Nintendo to make something very cool simply because they think outside the box and approach things from a different perspective than most.

Nobody has disputed that, and I haven't either.

madmackem

Having kids hidden on the miiverse could be a masterstroke, just think of an xbox live without all the little shits spouting shite down the mic, or playing music down the mic etc. I really hope ninty have an xbox live like service with this miiverse i could really go all in for a few years with them if they do.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Coming up with ideas is easy. Deploying them in a great way is not. There were MP3 players and attempts at online music sales before the iPod and iTunes. Apple didn't stumble across a stunning idea nobody had ever thought of. That's a reason why shortsighted tech pundits mocked Apple's product reveal because it was "nothing new or interesting". They ignored the potential of the execution, certain that they had already "seen it all".

I would say a reason why a lot of people are interested in Miiverse is because at first blush, there are good ideas there. It is shortsighted, if not cynical, to dismiss its potential because the underlying technologies are "not new".
This. Besides MS copied miis.

Nintendo is building an evolution of miis with Miiverse. It seriously looks like they don't want to give MS anything too soon/too easily.

Amir0x

Banned
just think of an xbox live without all the little shits spouting shite down the mic, or playing music down the mic etc.

just select voice to friends only and you'll avoid that om Xbox Live. Plus, not all kids are annoying snots. I had some awesome little fuckers in matches.

@Amir0x I totally agree with your statements that Nintendo gets a lot of outside tech. The issue is they always go and search for outside tech to solve a gameplay idea.

Sometimes outside companies come to them and try to sell some tech. Sometimes it's a hit and sometimes you get a VirtualBoy.

To give them credit of innovation is not a sin dude. They took the idea and marketed it... made it work. You can have the hottest tech idea and it looks like shit until someone backs and polishes the turd into a diamond.

Those refinements you talk about are the key. They are the things worth keeping secret. It is always in the details with them pikmins.

There is nothing wrong with giving them credit for something the paid for and made it successful.

just select voice to friends only and you'll avoid that om Xbox Live. Plus, not all kids are annoying snots. I had some awesome little fuckers in matches.

I think people know they can do that, but it would be nice to play with some random gamers who you can actually strategize with and don't constantly tell you how your mother was in bed last night.

Mardak

I would assume the basic functionality includes:
- posting typed or handwritten messages
- setting a sentiment (happy, sad, confused, etc.)
- including the current paused screenshot (like the 3DS)

The messages get posted into something like a mega-thread for people to browse and respond with some filtering to highlight friends' posts.

If the game specifically supports Miiverse, I would guess that it would allow for:
- posting/viewing messages in the game
- adding context awareness (what map, level, area, etc. you're in/near)
- using a game-provided image instead of a whole screenshot

There could be some potentially interesting interactions developers could add:
- if 5 friends leave happy sentiments for a level, you get a bonus item in the level
- if 10 friends share an image from all 10 levels on the map, a secret level opens up
- if you respond to someone's message, you get an extra life

This could almost act like a remote StreetPass of the 3DS.

Amir0x

Banned
@Amir0x I totally agree with your statements that Nintendo gets a lot of outside tech. The issue is they always go and search for outside tech to solve a gameplay idea.

Sometimes outside companies come to them and try to sell some tech. Sometimes it's a hit and sometimes you get a VirtualBoy.

To give them credit of innovation is not a sin dude. They took the idea and marketed it... made it work. You can have the hottest tech idea and it looks like shit until someone backs and polishes the turd into a diamond.

Those refinements you talk about are the key. They are the things worth keeping secret. It is always in the details with them pikmins.

There is nothing wrong with giving them credit for something the paid for and made it successful.

Oh, I agree. I wasn't trying to downplay their talent for these sorts of refinements and innovations. I was simply saying that there is nothing that Nintendo would have been thinking of with regards to social networking on Wii U that Microsoft - who is hugely enmeshed in such stuff - wouldn't have already seen and either rejected, implemented differently or simply are waiting for their next console to include. And same goes for Sony, which has to date been just football fields ahead of Nintendo for this stuff. Thus, I'm saying there is no logical reason for Nintendo of all people to try to be secretive for that reason. Much less when there are only three weeks left to launch. There has been no indication from any of their hardware, or any of the info we have about Miiverse and Wii U, to suggest there is some innovation that requires launch day secrecy.

brochiller said:
I think people know they can do that, but it would be nice to play with some random gamers who you can actually strategize with and don't constantly tell you how your mother was in bed last night.

Seems like bad luck. I play with randoms like that all the time and have good experiences a lot of the time. In fact, my entire Left 4 Dead crew I met in groups of randoms, and we started picking up new friends for the group in sessions with randoms. In my experience, it has always been a 50% split. But I'm also not paranoid to deal with people who are idiots. It's part of life. I'll destroy them in the game and move on. It's not going to bother me.

You really think these are the kinds of kids parental control will stop? I doubt their parents even have access to their rooms let alone a Wii U. Good thing Nintendo is so lame they don't attract cool guys who talk about boning you moms.

Amir0x

Banned
You really think these are the kinds of kid parental control will stop? I doubt their parents even have access to their rooms let alone a Wii U. Good thing Nintendo is so lame they don't attract cool guys who talk about boning you moms.

with the wii u pad, dicks being drawn all over the place!

As long as its you, Iwata, I'll watch every time.

Every time.

IwataPrettyBoy.gif

Top Bottom