• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U's price cut coming to Europe too, also Basic Wii U is being discontinued

Scanna

Hey guys, our sources at Nintendo confirmed this news this morning, while we were testing the 2DS

Basically, Europe gets the same treatment as the US, Premium Wii U becomes the only SKU available, at 299€. Basic Wii U will no longer be produced and they expect retailers to cut its price to sell the remaining ones...might be a good chance to snatch a Wii U around europe this fall.
Still no words on the Zelda bundle

infos here in italian: http://www.vgnetwork.it/news-wii-u/...-per-wii-u-e-versione-basic-fuori-produzione/
this is google translated in english: http://translate.google.it/translat...-per-wii-u-e-versione-basic-fuori-produzione/

Rizsparky

I want to double dip a WiiU, but I think I will wait till the holiday sales, the price will crash when the next gens release.

BibiMaghoo

When I think that the WiiU in now a game or two more expensive than the Vita, I think that's not a bad deal at all.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
awesome, did they mention the price?

CMM_WiiU_TheLegendofZelda_TheWindWakerHD_WhatsInTheBox_mediaplayer_large.png

This is the PAL bundle.
It costs (at GAME) 249£
http://www.game.co.uk/en/black-wii-...wind-waker-244854?pageSize=20&searchTerm=wind

That will translate, imho, into 299€ for the other PAL regions

(please note that Nintendo of Europe doesn't communicate official prices all the time, so I'm assuming)

valouris

atm I can find a 220 euros Basic Bundle, and a 260 Nintendoland bundle. Zombiu and MH3 bundles are 370-380 though :/

This is in Greece, and 99% they haven't adjusted pricing etc for the new bundles yet

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
€299 = £250... which makes the £250 WW Premium set pretty damn good value.

I can get a Wii U premium right now for less than £200, and that's without even looking hard. I don't see the value in that bundle.

Also I'm super unhappy at basic being discontinued. If it gets low enough I might snatch one up before they're gone completely. Hopefully there's some super cheap basic's on offer soon.

I can get a Wii U premium right now for less than £200, and that's without even looking hard. I don't see the value in that bundle.

Also I'm super unhappy at basic being discontinued. If it gets low enough I might snatch one up before they're gone completely. Hopefully there's some super cheap basic's on offer soon.

It's been regularly on sale for 200£ from many retailers. Amazon and Asda have dealt with these.

Well, he did say "Right now" and from the most basic of Google searches the cheapest I can find is £256 (£301 with delivery), and that's for a second hand Japanese import on Fleabay.

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&new...13927|713929,pdtr1:888599|888601,vw:l,p_ord:p

I'd love to know where the £200 one is right now so I can consider it... but even still, I'd have to shell out £49.99+ for a copy of WW to go with it.

thomaser

Fun thing is that there are probably not that many white systems out there, so it will become a collector's item and go for $400 in ten years.

Mithos

Seems like prices are have risen in the last 1-2 days on Wii U consoles at least in Sweden ~€20-30 more for a Wii U basic (those who still have them), and ~€10 more for the Premium/Deluxe model.

Edit:
Checked in UK, £149 for a Basic at Blockbuster, and £230 for Premium/Deluxe (according to http://pricespy.co.uk)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

the values is that they cut the price.
so if retailers want to make deals or offers, it will be starting from a lower price, that means or more stable offers, or lower proce offers.

Danneee

Some stores already sell Premium consoles for €250 so I don't think this will change anything.

Edit: beaten like a junior.

It's been regularly on sale for 200£ from many retailers. Amazon and Asda have dealt with these.

It really depends on whether Nintendo will push the system: We've had retailer sales, but the console has been left to stew, people who have no idea what it is or why they should want one aren't going to seek it out at all. Even when Asda did carry it, they did so in only one fifth of their stores, so Nintendo failed miserably to gain a presence from launch. £249 with a 'reduced' sticker sitting awkwardly in a corner surrounded by a miserly selection of launch titles is different to £249 as the de-facto price on a proper display.

You could get an Xbox 360 for WAY under RRP circa 2007-8, but it wasn't selling close to as well as it did at a higher price when it was more successfully marketed and repackaged.

We'll see how it goes from now on. £249 is a decent price IF Nintendo work with retailers, because they're not going to suddenly give a damn about it if Nintendo don't, and that will ensure that it remains at the forefront of no consumers' minds.

I foresee a considerable push on Nintendo's part and visibility to increase thereafter given 'sure things' like Mario and Donkey Kong, but that is something they need to be on top of. A publisher could have the greatest line-up of all-time, but if you're not giving retail partners a reason to properly stock your products, they won't.

Sturm

Banned
299 is a joke at the moment. Especially when you look at dollars=euro's? But I guess that's another discussion.

Will wait for the inevitable under 200, 150 prefered.

Quick history of Wii U basic @ Amazon.co.uk
http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Nintendo-Wii-8GB-Basic-Pack/product/B004Y59P3A said:
Last 5 price changesDate Price
Aug 26, 2013 04:44 PM £224.00
Aug 21, 2013 11:48 AM £209.00
Jul 25, 2013 09:22 PM £229.00
Jul 16, 2013 01:41 AM £149.00
Jul 14, 2013 08:43 PM £229.00
I wonder can it crash below the £149 barrier when they next drop the price?

Kater

Banned
Wohoo!
Will it be available in all stores in mainland europe though (the WW Bundle) and not just GS exclusive?
What about amazon.de, do we know already if they will have them in stock?

The Basic should have ever existed. They should also have priced the Wii U more competitively.

Still not too late, but they need to be a lot more aggressive. More bundling, more value adds, basically anything to help ignite interest in the console before the other next gen consoles arrive and drown out the U in both word of mouth and retail presence.

Top Bottom