• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Weekly Episode 3

Ashodin

wii_weekly3.png

This episode has been delayed because of holiday issues, but it's finally here.

The links are:

http://www.kakariko.com/wiiweekly3_0001.wmv - (58 MB, WMV)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqQ3heBRflE <-- YouTube Version
Uploading to GameVideos as well.

This week is the WIITACULAR, with end of year celebrations and the pick for the Game of the Year.

Also in this episode:

» Game of the Year
» Ristar Strategy
» Gunstar Heroes review
» Trauma Center footage
» and more!

Comments and critique welcome!

Mason

Wow.

Edit: Just... wow.

This would be about half as long if you didn't introduce everything you're going to do like 20 times. You don't even DO anything besides play around like a total weird ass in front of the camera for the first 3 and a half minutes.

Deku

Banned
Just to add something constructive, you should work on your the transitions. From a viewer, I'll be watching the video all at once, there's really no need to say 'see you there' everytime you transition. Watch how they do it in newscasts, it's probably a good indication of how you want to do it.

Also it might help if you get a better lighting gear and shoot it all with the same lighting levels, night or day.

The acting in the beginning and 'things no to do with Wii' are just filler and I can see where the negative reaction is coming from. The video walkthroughs are fine, but I think as far as show identity goes, you might want to focus more towards your opinions and the creative aspects of Wii (like Mii creation, featuring Flash games for the browser, and VC reviews).

This should also keep your shows shorter. 20 minutes is fine, but this episode could easily be 10-15 minutes if the filler stuff were cut out.

Overall, focus more towards providing information. I actually do want to hear what you have to say about Miis, VC games I may not have tried, or flash games I may not know of.

joaomgcd

I think you should talk about the games when you play them. Talk about what you are doing... I was pretty clueless in the Trauma Center part, because I never played that game before.

Also, and don't take this the wrong way, you shouldn't try so hard to be funny. I can't give out any advice on how to be funny, but it really looked like you were trying too hard in most parts.

Luckett_X

Banned
Maxrpg said:
» Ristar Strategy

Jesus. Grab things and bonk their noggins in?

This is why a single person without anything interesting to talk about does not a successful crumpet of entertainment make.

Ashodin

Deku said:
Just to add something constructive, you should work on your the transitions. From a viewer, I'll be watching the video all at once, there's really no need to say 'see you there' everytime you transition. Watch how they do it in newscasts, it's probably a good indication of how you want to do it.

Also it might help if you get a better lighting gear and shoot it all with the same lighting levels, night or day.

The acting in the beginning and 'things no to do with Wii' are just filler and I can see where the negative reaction is coming from. The video walkthroughs are fine, but I think as far as show identity goes, you might want to focus more towards your opinions and the creative aspects of Wii (like Mii creation, featuring Flash games for the browser, and VC reviews).

This should also keep your shows shorter. 20 minutes is fine, but this episode could easily be 10-15 minutes if the filler stuff were cut out.

Overall, focus more towards providing information. I actually do want to hear what you have to say about Miis, VC games I may not have tried, or flash games I may not know of.
Thanks! This is what I'm looking for when I post these on GAF.

Deku

Banned
Maxrpg said:

You're welcome. I forgot to mention this, but if you look at the successful podcasts and video podcasts out there, they usually have a strong cast.

Don't feel like you have to make it a one man show. Hook up with another person even if its over the phone and you can do it ala BBC style where they only show a picture of the person who is speaking over the phone in some wartorn region. It could also be a place where you can inject humour by putting up a funny picture instead of a real one. Look to getting guests into the show and co-opt some of the stuff here on GAF and get other posters to help give you content.

Like one example could be a how to create Jarosh's film director Miis. That's a big hit here.

If content is thin, do the show bi-weekly or even monthly, it's much better to have an HQ show than 4 so-so shows.

Hope this helps.

Ashodin

Deku said:
You're welcome. I forgot to mention this, but if you look at the successful podcasts and video podcasts out there, they usually have a strong cast.

Don't feel like you have to make it a one man show. Hook up with another person even if its over the phone and you can do it ala BBC style where they only show a picture of the person who is speaking over the phone in some wartorn region. It could also be a place where you can inject humour by putting up a funny picture instead of a real one. Look to getting guests into the show and co-opt some of the stuff here on GAF and get other posters to help give you content.

Like one example could be a how to create Jarosh's film director Miis. That's a big hit here.

If content is thin, do the show bi-weekly or even monthly, it's much better to have an HQ show than 4 so-so shows.

Hope this helps.
More people have been something I've been thinking of - the fact is that I don't know anyone around here who would be willing to do a show with me. I have to just find people that interested in the Wii, I guess.

Mason

Maxrpg said:

Alright, I don't mean to be rude, but the stuff he mentioned should be obvious. It kind of seems like you're doing these things because you enjoy watching yourself on YouTube.

It doesn't seem like you really have anything substantial to say or show. I would recommend that you take his suggestions to heart. Make it a bit shorter and cut out the filler stuff. Give us something we can't get anywhere else, like your opinions on games or video tutorials or something. The humor really doesn't seem to be working very well; it comes off pretty weird. You might want to tone that back a bit. I dunno...just do what he said and watch other video podcasts or the news and try to imitate them a bit more.

Ashodin

Mason said:
Alright, I don't mean to be rude, but the stuff he mentioned should be obvious. It kind of seems like you're doing these things because you enjoy watching yourself on YouTube.

It doesn't seem like you really have anything substantial to say or show. I would recommend that you take his suggestions to heart. Make it a bit shorter and cut out the filler stuff. Give us something we can't get anywhere else, like your opinions on games or video tutorials or something. The humor really doesn't seem to be working very well; it comes off pretty weird. You might want to tone that back a bit. I dunno...just do what he said and watch other video podcasts or the news and try to imitate them a bit more.
The humor should improve if I had someone else - a two person dynamic is great for reactions and human responses.

Derps

Banned
You should probably get someone that hates Nintendo to be on your show, then argue with him/it after each segment

Mason

I'm kind of skimming it again, and honestly, a majority of this is filler. There's probably only 5-7 minutes of actual show. Is it really necessary to spend 5 minutes showing us how to access YouTube? That's incredibly tedious, redundant, and unnecessary. Everyone knows what YouTube is and we know we can view it on the Wii.

I would suggest maybe you do a game review, how to create some kind of Mii, and a Wii tip or trick every show (like clicking on the cat in the Photo Channel or how to change the color of the court in Tennis....they're interesting little secrets a lot of people probably don't know about). Try to keep it about 10 minutes long or so.

Edit: Also, just fyi: to skip the text crap in Trauma Center before a level, just hold the button down for a second and it skips to the end so you don't have to keep pressing it after every line of text pops up.

fresquito

Okay, so I haven't seen the whole episode (in fact I've seen a small fraction, I can't stand anymore), but I'll give my input anyway. So, I think you should go back to the board and think what do you wanna offer with your show. From the looks of your show, it seems you're pretending to do a 1up show, just without production values. When you don't hace the income, you have to got the smarts, and you aren't doing well at there. So, if I were you, I'd take another route with the show, just like deku said, a much more personal one. Being small, knowing it's small, but being clever. What you're doing at the moment is a nerd show with zero interest for people.

This gets us to the next point: what do you want to do with your show? Are you trying to sell us the games you're showing? Are you just showing us what you're playing these days? Are you trying to give some insight on some games? Because the only thing I see here is you have a camera and a Wii and want to show everybody these two facts. There's really no aim in the show, when you show the game, you just fool around while talking about unsubstantial things. If you're going to present some gameplay, you should try to a) Show some variety with a good mix b) show something appealing to people watching. Seeing you roam aimleslly or stand idly isn't funny.

This have been mentioned earlier, but I will say it myself: stop pretending you're funny. You're not. I'd guess you have other strong aspects. If someone isn't dunny, but can give good advices, he should concentrate on giving good advices. If someone has a particular viewpoint, he should give his viewpoint instead doing lame jokes. I don't know about your strenghs, but obviously humor isn't one of them.

Once again, it all boils down to the direction. You should think what you want to do with your show, and concentrate on that. Do small things, but well done. Use some creativity if your production value isn't good.

Gowans

CHRIST THAT WAS AWEFUL

i may have took that apart from there such good game tv on the net now (1up, gamespot, eurogamer, xboxide) and this shows it for what ot is, shite!

less comedy, less bullshit ans just intelligent talk about games and you might gtet better man and if you do I'll be watching, but for now, not so much.

Ashodin

OH man, I just realized I left out a part of the show altogether. I'll have to offer it up by itself now. It was the Mii Too segment, where I made a Mii for all. Sorry about that, if people were looking forward to it.

The comment about the anti-nintendo fan on the show - genius!

lexi

Banned
I will say that it takes a fair amount of balls to do this kind of thing, I mean, I'm not one for making a fool of myself across the internets.

Unless I knew I could profit from it (Nintendo 64 kid)

keanerie

Wow. The reaction seems to be so much more negative than it was for past episodes. Yeah man, maybe you should just stop trying. I hate to be a dick, but you're not getting any better at this and I don't think you're cut out to be in front of a camera.

Ashodin

keanerie said:
Wow. The reaction seems to be so much more negative than it was for past episodes. Yeah man, maybe you should just stop trying. I hate to be a dick, but you're not getting any better at this and I don't think you're cut out to be in front of a camera.
To be fair, it's easy for anyone to say something sucks when they're not the ones doing it.

Amir0x

Banned
dang dude, no offense but this is barely improved from last episode. And you know my criticisms from then :(

mikeGFG

Banned
Fresquito summed it up nicely: your show is lacking direction-- drop the video blog angle.

Also, something I hate: people talking WHILE reviewing/previewing a game. Record and edit some footage early, then comment over that. You can pay much more attention to the subject at hand when you're not multitasking like a madman.

Ashodin

ant1532 said:
More like scrape the bird crap off your car.

Mike G.E.D. said:
Fresquito summed it up nicely: your show is lacking direction-- drop the video blog angle.

Also, something I hate: people talking WHILE reviewing/previewing a game. Record and edit some footage early, then comment over that. You can pay much more attention to the subject at hand when you're not multitasking like a madman.

Next episode will have this.

Dude...

Couple things:

1- You know that synch is pronounced SINK, right? That bugged the ever loving hell out of me.

2- I think you should get Ant1532 to help you with your vblog. That'll keep you both out of trouble.

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
:( :)(( :)((((((((((( :)/:(:(: :)(((((((((((((((

i swear to god i like your enthusiasm and would love to say something positive about the show, but :(((( :(((((((((((((((( :()(()(((

keep it short (10 minutes tops), record the game footage in advance so you can show only the most interesting parts and prepare your comments, and most importantly please stop pretending to be funny.

the "things not to do with your wiimote" section would work way better if it were just a 5-10 second skit with no comments and a silly background music, a la benny hill or whatever

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
OMG!!!! Dude. Screw all the haters. I freakin loved this video and i loved you. Please make more in the same style. It has a cool MST3K type feel, sort of low budget, but it's obvious you're really determined and that you want to get your message out to the people no matter what. You're not all full of yourself or anything. You speak to the average gamer out there. Great length too, the more of you on the vid, the better.

Edit: Also, about the part where you checked your youtube video you should have read the comments people had left on your vid. I suggest maybe on your next video you read through some of the meanest comments in this thread and give your reactions to them.

Top Bottom