• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii will cost less than 25,000 yen / $250

neptunes

$199 is almost definate

Unless they want to pull dual SKU's and have a $250 ver. with 2 controllers and the classic remote.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Exchange rates and historical price differences accounted for, I'd say top end price of 199.99 is pretty much set in stone.

Amir0x

Banned
yeah i mean basically with all the shit they left out of it even $199 seems a bit high (the dolby digital thing is just the horrifying icing on the shitcake), but i guess the tech in the controller is pretty expensive or something.

or they just like to make money

which is cool, everyone's doin' it

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
$100 covers the gamecube; the other $150 gets you the turbo

normally aspirated game consoles are for suckers

_leech_ said:
Anything above $150 is a ripoff unless they include 2 or more controllers. And a game.
Unlike some $300 consoles it includes wifi, a wireless controller, and storage space for saves and downloads. ;)

Amir0x

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Unlike some $300 consoles it includes wifi, a wireless controller, and storage space for saves and downloads. ;)

but it removes:

good graphics
surround sound
jeff minter light synth visualizer

i think we know who gets the better deal here!

Jonnyram

drohne said:
$100 covers the gamecube; the other $150 gets you the turbo

normally aspirated game consoles are for suckers
No, the other $150 gets you a NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and Turbo GFX ;)

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
No, the other $150 gets you a NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and Turbo GFX ;)

Maybe I'm missing the joke, but couldn't you buy all those systems for like under $50 total these days? ^^;

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
Maybe I'm missing the joke, but couldn't you buy all those systems for like under $50 total these days? ^^;

and also you won't have to rebuy any games you already own
and also every single game on those systems will be available for you to aquire on day one, as opposed to that never ever going to be the case for "Virtual Console" due to various issues such as licensing.

KennyL

Amir0x said:
ew, FFXIII already sucks. It's all slimed in Advent Children action style.

why are you all be hating like? entertainment is all i ask for. is that just so wrong?? :-(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
And doesn't BC cost a shitload? Not the games themselves, but implementing the technology to allow it?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Oblivion said:
And doesn't BC cost a shitload? Not the games themselves, but implementing the technology to allow it?

emulators are so amazingly expensive to code that hobbyists do it for no money whatsoever in their free time

Odysseus

Banned
Oblivion said:

Why don't you ask all those gaffers running MAME on their PCs how much it costs.

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:

not really

but it depends on the technology you're trying to make compatible, and if it's being done by software emulation or with a chip or whatever. At the end of the day, the investment I doubt could ever be categorized as "shitload"

N64, Turbografx, SNES, Genesis, Nintendo, etc... all will cost literally pennies to Nintendo.

If they were doing Gamecube via software emulation, that might cost a little bit. But again, not a "shitload."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Heh. Whatever then. Someone said it was an expensive process in some thread a while back. Oh, well

drohne said:
emulators are so amazingly expensive to code that hobbyists do it for no money whatsoever in their free time

Exactly. And there are more than enough excellent, open source emulators they could "borrow", i highly doubt they've got programmers locked up in a dungeon creating these things from scratch.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
_leech_ said:
Exactly. And there are more than enough excellent, open source emulators they could "borrow", i highly doubt they've got programmers locked up in a dungeon creating these things from scratch.
Weren't the NES and N64 Zelda games from the Collector's Edition disc already running off of Nintendo's own emulators?

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:
Weren't the NES and N64 Zelda games from the Collector's Edition disc already running off of Nintendo's own emulators?

Yep. The Wii is probably going to use optimized versions of the GC's N64 and NES emulators, although I'm not aware of any SNES emulators by Nintendo.

yjs666

Anyone says that it's only worth $149 are fudgin retards. Go buy a PS3 and sex its twin HDMI holes. Wait you can't.

Top Bottom