• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm actually curious as to how the marble game will be played. the act of moving the remote doesn't seem conducive to controlling a ball's movement, unless they take the monkey ball route and use it to tilt the environment. i'd rather they didn't do that. i'm interested in seeing something different.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
catfish said:
honestly I bet it has a lot to do with Nintendo thinking that an extra hard drive attached goes against the design philosophy of the console. I really think that they would think something like that.

Anyway, at least SD cards are dirt cheap. *shrug*

they said it was still a possibility in the future.. what else would the usb ports be for?

MrSardonic said:
wii should have come with 2 wiimotes. It's just becoming very expensive - console, extra controllers (classic, nunchuck, wiimote), expensive VC games, fee-based internet browsing. I'm disappointed at how expensive it is going to be for me to get this machine and use its benefits, to the point where i will not buy it at these prices

Getting nickeled and dimed seems to be the new price strategy for this generation.

--------------------

The Wii menu screen looks sloppy and disorganized. Its about on the same level as a 16 year old girls' MySpace: everything is crammed in and without any sense of organization or style. They can still have it be icon based without looking tacky.

------------

Might be a little past but basically, systems should not be based off of graphics capability but entertainment value. Wii graphics basically is the Xbox graphics but it really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things. Its all about entertainment.

If you play a pretty game but it bores the hell out of you, it is not entertaining and the game is therefore a failure. A game can have 500 cars and 60 tracks in a game but if its not fun, the game isn't good. The same can apply also for the Wii controller. A mediocre game that has waggle technology does not mean it automatically becomes good.

The Experiment said:
Getting nickeled and dimed seems to be the new price strategy for this generation.

--------------------

The Wii menu screen looks sloppy and disorganized. Its about on the same level as a 16 year old girls' MySpace: everything is crammed in and without any sense of organization or style. They can still have it be icon based without looking tacky.
Controller price is definitely the biggest issue for me now. It's at the point where I might not buy an extra remote/nunchuck til a few weeks to a month later.

As far as the channel interface goes... you can configure every icon on that screen except for the disc icon (upper left).

I have a feeling that NoA decided they wanted it one way, then NCL stepped in and demanded it be the other. (Wouldn't be the first time by any stretch of the imagination.)

On regions. I think the truth is that the Wii will have region coding similar to DVDs. *IF* a publisher wishes to use them, they can, but it will be optional unlike most previous console coding schemes.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I have a feeling that NOA and NCL dont care if its region free and that NOE are lying and saying its not so when they are 6 months late to release a game people just dont import it.

Having the Wii region free may force NOE and NAL to pick up there game and bring games within weeks of launch. Its getting better with DS games but everything else forget it.

Since noone saw it in the other thread, here they are again. OMG THE CABLES!

These were on the scene where Mr. Iwata showed off the Wii.

norge_028_Large_a6a.jpg

norge_026_Large_a17.jpg

VOOK said:
I have a feeling that NOA and NCL dont care if its region free and that NOE are lying and saying its not so when they are 6 months late to release a game people just dont import it.

Having the Wii region free may force NOE and NAL to pick up there game and bring games within weeks of launch. Its getting better with DS games but everything else forget it.
It would be a lot easier for you guys if you just went over to NTSC, or even ATSC.

:D

Seriously though. I know little about HDTV standards outside of the US. What direction is the EU going in regards to HDTV?

EDIT: Found it! It looks like Euro is going with ATSC resolutions and refresh rates, but is using different compression and coding methods. Hopefully component 1080i and 720p are the same as the US.

The birth of Euro1080 in 2004 has lead to a debate in European manufacturers over the introduction of High Definition television in Europe, and the need of a single labelling schema for HD devices. Consequently, in January 2005, EICTA introduced the "HD ready" label for equipment that meets certain requirements, including supporting 720p and 1080i at 50 and 60 Hz. Displays must include YUV and DVI or HDMI interfaces with HDCP support. The native vertical resolution must be 720 lines or more.

Another label ("HDTV-High definition television") also exists. Unlike HD-ready, it must be shown on set top box capable of HD output in both 720p and 1080i.

Owing to Europe's late entry into the HDTV market, it has the advantage of being able to use more modern picture compression technology,and so far all these major broadcasters have announced their intentions of eventually using H.264/MPEG-4 AVC in their programming. This will allow them to utilize broadcasting frequencies much more efficiently than in the United States, since transmiting HDTV signals using H.264 compression requires roughly half as much bandwidth as needed under the USA's ATSC system (ATSC had standardized utilizing the less-efficient MPEG-2 compression long before more modern codecs like H.264 became available). Most Europeans favor using the 720p format over 1080i.

Chris B

krypt0nian said:
Dumb but quick question: Have they shown the wii bootup sequence yet?

I was wondering this, but I do not believe there is one, I think it goes straight to the Wii Channel screen. Ofcourse there may be a Wii related boot-up sequence on games?

VOOK

bmf said:
It would be a lot easier for you guys if you just went over to NTSC, or even ATSC.

:D

Seriously though. I know little about HDTV standards outside of the US. What direction is the EU going in regards to HDTV?
I dont know about HD-TV but my Widescreen CRT can display good old NTSC and 60hz and 100hz so basically I dont give a crap and converting into "PAL" means jack I just want my games!

VOOK said:
I dont know about HD-TV but my Widescreen CRT can display good old NTSC and 60hz and 100hz so basically I dont give a crap and converting into "PAL" means jack I just want my games!
Here's a question.

Is digital broadcast for your country 60hz or 50hz? If it is 60hz, is there a cutoff for broadcasters to switch over completely?

Xristot

hey guys, I don't know if this has been asked before but here goes.

When the hell is nintendo going to tell us everything about their damn system. Everytime they have a conference, we all say, "this is it! we will finally know everything" But then they don't really say shit and we have a whole bunch of comments from them like "we will discuss that later."

Well, when the hell are they planning to let us know. The console is 2 ****ing months away from launch and there are lots of questions still in the air.

What is up with wii connect 24? What can it really do.
Whats with the online plans? Buddy system? Mii implementation?
What are the launch VC games?
What are the prices for sega and turbografx games?
Whats up with the memory on the controllers?
Whats with the launch games? (we know nothing about excite truck other than the gameplay and the number or players [maybe]).
What are the other channels that were blocked out?

I mean I know they want to save some announcements to counter balance their competitors announcements, but damnit, throw us a ****ing bone. Sometimes i feel like this console has been wrapped in a ball of secrecy for no other reason than to **** with our heads.

I'm gonna pick one up at launch (amazon pre-order ftw), but damnit, I just want them to let me know what I'm buying.

VOOK

bmf said:
Here's a question.

Is digital broadcast for your country 60hz or 50hz? If it is 60hz, is there a cutoff for broadcasters to switch over completely?

Im not really sure but I think 50hz, the amount of people with crap TVs here is astonishing. I have Digital TV but im the only one I know :/

Also the cuttoff for Analouge is set at 2012 at the moment, it was 2008 but no the old people want there old TV's a while longer.

Also ftw "HD" tv is'nt even HD its some bastardised 576i or p something crap crap crap.

jjasper

An actual report on the local news just came on about the Wii, showing clips of games and people playing it at the New York event.

VOOK said:
Im not really sure but I think 50hz, the amount of people with crap TVs here is astonishing. I have Digital TV but im the only one I know :/

Also the cuttoff for Analouge is set at 2012 at the moment, it was 2008 but no the old people want there old TV's a while longer.

Also ftw "HD" tv is'nt even HD its some bastardised 576i or p something crap crap crap.
It sounds like you may be kinda SOL. 576i@50fps is that whole PAL/SECAM thing all over again, just digitally encoded. If the standard in your country continues to be 50hz refresh, then you're going to be in the same boat as Europe, getting the slim pickings that the publishers deem worthy of being converted to work at 50fps. If you have a TV capable of taking component in at 60fps, you'd be doing yourself a favor by importing from the US. How badly would you get screwed on import taxes and stuff?

ant1532

Banned
I hope IGN has some more videos from the Wii event held back for this week, like what they did with E3. I can use a new video of Mario Galaxy about now

VOOK

bmf said:
It sounds like you may be kinda SOL. 576i@50fps is that whole PAL/SECAM thing all over again, just digitally encoded. If the standard in your country continues to be 50hz refresh, then you're going to be in the same boat as Europe, getting the slim pickings that the publishers deem worthy of being converted to work at 50fps. If you have a TV capable of taking component in at 60fps, you'd be doing yourself a favor by importing from the US. How badly would you get screwed on import taxes and stuff?

The date and the price are too close to justify importing one, not to mention I'd need a stepup/down(?) converter. Which I dont want to have to carry around to people houses as well. Import taxes would'nt be a problem but I would be paying more, price is not a problem but warrenty is.

Plus i cbf, just have to pray or something

polg

for the 2 or 3 that care: Wii has been confirmed for December 7th in NZ and a new distributor has been announced!

SumGamer

polg said:
for the 2 or 3 that care: Wii has been confirmed for December 7th in NZ and a new distributor has been announced!

WoooHOOOO Where is the news, the articles? Who is the distributor?
This is the first time that this country exist in the world of entertainment :D

EDIT: Just dig around and see this news at VGNZ

$499 for NZ ... I'd just get one from US. The console itself + shipping would cost much much less than that. What the hell.

Amir0x

Banned
Xristot said:
hey guys, I don't know if this has been asked before but here goes.

When the hell is nintendo going to tell us everything about their damn system. Everytime they have a conference, we all say, "this is it! we will finally know everything" But then they don't really say shit and we have a whole bunch of comments from them like "we will discuss that later."

Well, when the hell are they planning to let us know. The console is 2 ****ing months away from launch and there are lots of questions still in the air.

What is up with wii connect 24? What can it really do.
Whats with the online plans? Buddy system? Mii implementation?
What are the launch VC games?
What are the prices for sega and turbografx games?
Whats up with the memory on the controllers?
Whats with the launch games? (we know nothing about excite truck other than the gameplay and the number or players [maybe]).
What are the other channels that were blocked out?

I mean I know they want to save some announcements to counter balance their competitors announcements, but damnit, throw us a ****ing bone. Sometimes i feel like this console has been wrapped in a ball of secrecy for no other reason than to **** with our heads.

I'm gonna pick one up at launch (amazon pre-order ftw), but damnit, I just want them to let me know what I'm buying.

Yup, there's a ****load of shit that Nintendo didn't reveal. The thing I'm most concerned about is their online system. Only two Wii games are online that I can see - Bwii 2 and Pokemon Battle Revolution - and Nintendo didn't tell a single solitary thing about how that shit is gonna work. Is it just gonna be like yet another shitty DS online experience, or is it gonna be more fully featured? Can I see what my friends are playing? If I'm playing a game, can my friend invite me to play something? Is there anything even remotely close to a fully featured online experience which every god-damn system should have at this point?

That Nintendo ignored this entirely gives me essentially zero hope that they will deliver.

There are still a few things they keep saying we’ll talk later. Don’t know why, but they are. Also on www.wii.com some of the channels are still showing as coming soon. If they are for the VC channel and stuff, surely they would have filled them in. I’m sure there’s still more to come about WiiConnect24 and VC channel, think they are still testing it and therefore won’t put it up yet, or release too much about it.

FoxHimself said:

norge_028_Large_a6a.jpg

Digital Output. Ok. Now say me that the Component cable will be sold in Europe at Launch-Day.

FoxHimself said:

norge_028_Large_a6a.jpg

norge_026_Large_a17.jpg

Oh crap..how am I supposed to plug my Wii in without breaking it? I swear I could crush those cables..

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I'm sure this was posted but I never seen it until this morning on gamecentral (channel 4 teletext). For the VC in the UK, £14 will get you 2000 points and N64 games will cost 1000 points i.e. £7 (over $13). Once again we are ripped off compared to everywhere else.

Also I came across something amusing while checking wiipreorder.co.uk. HMV are now preordering so I checked out their site and noticed the menu at the side. 360 is no longer next gen! Nothing serious but it's bound to confuse some customers.

hmv.jpg

Roders5 said:
I'm sure this was posted but I never seen it until this morning on gamecentral (channel 4 teletext). For the VC in the UK, £14 will get you 2000 points and N64 games will cost 1000 points i.e. £7 (over $13). Once again we are ripped off compared to everywhere else.

Also I came across something amusing while checking wiipreorder.co.uk. HMV are now preordering so I checked out their site and noticed the menu at the side. 360 is no longer next gen! Nothing serious but it's bound to confuse some customers.

hmv.jpg

This is what you get for having a 1 year lead. Maybe Sony and Nintendo devised this together?

lancubap

FoxHimself said:

norge_028_Large_a6a.jpg

The A/V Cable seems a Digital output Cable...or not ?

Xristot

Amir0x said:
Yup, there's a ****load of shit that Nintendo didn't reveal. The thing I'm most concerned about is their online system. Only two Wii games are online that I can see - Bwii 2 and Pokemon Battle Revolution - and Nintendo didn't tell a single solitary thing about how that shit is gonna work. Is it just gonna be like yet another shitty DS online experience, or is it gonna be more fully featured? Can I see what my friends are playing? If I'm playing a game, can my friend invite me to play something? Is there anything even remotely close to a fully featured online experience which every god-damn system should have at this point?

That Nintendo ignored this entirely gives me essentially zero hope that they will deliver.

yeah. From what everything nintendo did/announced, what pissed me off the most was what they didn't talk about. And, as usualy with nintendo, this either means they have nothing or they have something great. I'm leaning towards the former though. Online should have been something they tackled day 1.

SumGamer

phatmike128 said:
http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5062

I'm not sure if people have seen this, but its an interview Perrin did on the day where right near the end she seems pretty damn definite that the wii is region free.

Has nintendo officially commented at all on this? for being the VP, she sounded pretty confident there..

You will find the answer in another thread. but to sum it up. Soon after Perrin interview, David Yarnton NOE VP(I think) state that Wii is not region-free.
There are lotta discussion going on in another thread.

Top Bottom