• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU d-pad problem - is this common?

Tailzo

I just finished installing the console. The left d-pad direction doesn't work. I thought it was a bug, so I installed the patch. Still doesn't work. I restarted the gamepad and console. I tried different menus. I recalibrated the touch-screen.

Still does not work. I tried to google it, but my google skills failed me.

Do I have to send it back? I live in Europe, Norway. do I get to use my wonky one while waiting?

Tailzo

Aw. And I can't even buy a new controller to use while waiting.

Anyone from europe that has had to deal with nintendo repairs for wiiU?

Tailzo

^ That could've worked, I bought it online. I have to send it one way or the other.

Anyone from Norway here?

tci

^ That could've worked, I bought it online. I have to send it one way or the other.

Anyone from Norway here?
I am...

You will have 14 days to return the product with full refund. As long as there is a valid reason. For damaged products, just send an email to the store and they will probably ask you to make a RMA request. You'll have to pay for the shipment though.

AzaK

The GamePad is constructed badly. The buttons rattle a lot when the unit is jiggled or turned upside down. I took mine back to the store, and two other units they had did it. So they wouldnt replace it. Neither would Nintendo when I called.

It sort of sours the experience of buying a new system and I think Nintendo's response is bad form.

Good luck getting yours fixed.

Pitmonkey

The GamePad is constructed badly. The buttons rattle a lot when the unit is jiggled or turned upside down. I took mine back to the store, and two other units they had did it. So they wouldnt replace it. Neither would Nintendo when I called.

It sort of sours the experience of buying a new system and I think Nintendo's response is bad form.

I noticed this too. The gamepad's construction is not your typical, rock-solid, nintendo build.

The Boat

All my Wii remotes rattle too and I've never had a single problem with it, it's probably like the DS' hinges where they leave some space on purpose. It doesn't mean you will have problems because of that or that it's bad build quality.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

Why is having buttons with a small amount of give "bad"? I don't see the problem inherent in rattling buttons.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

Do you think you're buying a fucking Harmon Kardon here? It's a Nintendo game system. Repeat after me. Nintendo. Game system.

The_Lump

Banned

I don't know man, my ps3 controller and 360 (PC) controller both rattle I thought that was just the rumble mechanism moving about?

is it really bad? Mine hasn't arrived yet. My pro controller arrived today (yay) Build quality seems great. Very sturdy piece of kit. Only thing I don't like is the clicky sticks are a little weak.

I've had my dpad register a "down" when pressing left a few times, kind of annoying, especially because they both led to Mario butt stomping into lava.

The_Lump

Banned
Do you think you're buying a fucking Harmon Kardon here? It's a Nintendo game system. Repeat after me. Nintendo. Game system.

...not sure I follow. Besides the N64 analog stick which wore out pretty quick, everything I've bought from Nintendo has been pretty sturdy?! My GC controllers are still pretty much perfect. Can't say the same for my ps2 controller...

Also, it's not much to ask for your £250 piece of hardware to be of sound quality, is it?

Thoraxes

That's not common.

Additionally, test re-syncing the controller with the console, as all wireless controls run into these issues from time to time and sometimes that may be the culprit.

All my Wii remotes rattle too and I've never had a single problem with it, it's probably like the DS' hinges where they leave some space on purpose. It doesn't mean you will have problems because of that or that it's bad build quality.

I only notice the rattley buttons when I pick it up and shake it like i'm trying to murder an infant. I never hear it through normal use.

While I see your point, he has every right to be disappointed. It's definitely an annoying sound, and it just makes the controller feel cheaper than it probably should.

Considering the controller has an accelerometer, I'm surprised this is an issue. Wouldn't they have realized it and fixed it? I wonder if there's a reason for the rattling noise's presence. Was it a necessary evil due to the controller's design? Who knows.

The Boat

I only notice the rattley buttons when I pick it up and shake it like i'm trying to murder an infant. I never hear it through normal use.

Oh yeah, same here. My PS3 controller also rattles but I think that's something inside, maybe the rumble motor.

Madao

that reminds me, the d-pad of my game pad had a weird issue while pushing up and sometimes it would go up-left and make me die in NSMBU.

Maximus.

Why do people ask when they have a potential defect in their product if its a known problem? Nothing is perfect and it sucks that you so happened to get a defective unit, but I'm sure Nintendo will gladly help you to get a proper working unit.

Mine is the same, and yeah, I think you're right. It sounds like it comes from the center.

Rumble is in the grips.

ps3.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I didn't check the dpad on my WiiU and it's all packed away for Chrimbo. I hope it's okay.

Persona7

Banned
I don't know about your region but one of the higher ups at NOA customer service got angry when I asked if they could ship me the replacement wii remote first so I could continue using the broken one I had in the mean time (the home button was DOA)

AzaK

Really? Not one single controller I have from Nintendo does this. I paid an average week's salary for the thing so I sure expect it to not rattle like a maraca.

Why is having buttons with a small amount of give "bad"? I don't see the problem inherent in rattling buttons.

Depends what you consider small I guess.

I don't know man, my ps3 controller and 360 (PC) controller both rattle I thought that was just the rumble mechanism moving about?

is it really bad? Mine hasn't arrived yet. My pro controller arrived today (yay) Build quality seems great. Very sturdy piece of kit. Only thing I don't like is the clicky sticks are a little weak.

Well I'm sure it's relative but it was so noisy that I thought something was broken inside the GamePad which is why I went back to the shop to check.

Tailzo

I am...

You will have 14 days to return the product with full refund. As long as there is a valid reason. For damaged products, just send an email to the store and they will probably ask you to make a RMA request. You'll have to pay for the shipment though.

Takk, hvis ikke det løser seg, sånn helt magiskt, så prøver jeg det :)

Thanks. Yeah, being a nintendo product, I was surprised.

OP, why would you think this might be common?

Well, I hate to be the guy that thinks that he's the only one in the world with a problem. And, if it was common; a) someone might know how to fix it. b) Nintendo might do like MS did with the red ring scandal, send me a box, replacement, ect.

Move right cautiously for now
You made me smile :)

It's designed that way to ensure you always move forward.
And you made me laugh!

Why do people ask when they have a potential defect in their product if its a known problem? Nothing is perfect and it sucks that you so happened to get a defective unit, but I'm sure Nintendo will gladly help you to get a proper working unit.
See above :) English is not my primary language though, I hope I got my point across.

I don't know about your region but one of the higher ups at NOA customer service got angry when I asked if they could ship me the replacement wii remote first so I could continue using the broken one I had in the mean time (the home button was DOA)
Hmm.. I'll gently ask in an e-mail.

That's not common.

Additionally, test re-syncing the controller with the console, as all wireless controls run into these issues from time to time and sometimes that may be the culprit.

Thanks, I should try that before anything else.

Steph_E.

I just realised, I've had my Wii U since Thursday, been playing Nintendoland and web browsing.... I've not touched the Dpad yet!

What ! You mean you did not caress lovingly every single inch of your console and gamepad the moment you opened the box? (perhaps I need to get out more.)

Top Bottom