• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU "Latte" GPU Die Photo - GPU Feature Set And Power Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Also waste of power compared to screen density and power. I'm sure you're one of those people wanting a 1080p screen. Huge waste of ressources for what it is. When I compare my 1080p SGS4 screen to my 544p Vita screen, difference is noticeable but definitely not worthy.

Subpixels.
samsung-galaxy-s4.jpg
xperia_z-vs-galaxy_s4-pixel-density.jpg

Various AMOLED diodes wear out faster than others which is why Samsung often uses a strange layout while the standard for LCDs is a simple RGB color strip. The Galaxy S3 is the biggest offender with its Pentile layout. You literally see dots on the screen FFS...
Going back to the Vita I checked the AMOLED in my microscope (old toy with just 300X using my hand as focus) and saw that it had a color stripe that looked like the Galaxy S2 one. The pixels aren't quite as big as LCD ones which is noticeable on a white screen, but it looks a million times better than the Galaxy S3 which has a higher pixel density.
galaxy-s-family-microscope.jpg

1080p is overkill, especially for a gaming focused device when mobile GPUs have such limited bandwidth (the Vita struggles to render half of that). That doesn't mean "make another crap screen" though Nintendo -_-

Edit: *DOWN ARROW* Intel has tablet SoCs ready for 1440p. Just means they won't completely fall flat showing 2D graphics and doesn't make them powerhouses though...

joesiv

Also, AMD marketed Mullins ready for 1080p... imagine all the performance they could reach at 480p ?
Or imagine how much Nintendo could criple and downclock it to be mediocre at 480p! lol, I kid I kid...

but really, I think it would be downclocked, nintendo goes for stability and battery life rather than performance

AlStrong

Also, AMD marketed Mullins ready for 1080p... imagine all the performance they could reach at 480p ?

TBH, I'm imagining how much they'll try to cut down the HW/clock speed instead...

Form factor/battery size... 5W for just the chip is quite a bit if you compare to 3DS. The 3DS lasted 3-5Hr on a 5WHr battery, so everything including the display was ~1-1.67W.

Obviously, nothing is saying they have to stick to that spec configuration and certainly they can opt for a larger battery if they ditch the folded design. :)

joesiv

So whatever they choose for their next portable needn't be suitable for an an eventual upscaled console variant.

But they also said that the unifying would help reduce software droughts, which I took as they would release upscaled/downscaled versions of each platforms games. *shrugs*

But they also said that the unifying would help reduce software droughts, which I took as they would release upscaled/downscaled versions of each platforms games. *shrugs*

Yeah, I think they're seeing it as they will be able to pump out a DKCR or NSMB2 quicker. In their next platforms, they'll likely be able to use the same shader programs and such if we're talking high level code. This new integration can make ports easy in some instances and also allow different games with some shared assets. That being said, I still wouldn't rule out an ARM cpu for both home and handheld. But ARMv8 is BC with ARMv7, so they can go as low as they want on the handheld cpu basically. And I expect them to.

tronic307

Yes. Nintendo also need unique 3rd party games, targeted primarily at the handheld to spill over to the console because Nintendo fans apparently hate traditional multiplats with a passion. A Nintendo unified architecture would be a game changer. They just said they wouldn't limit themselves to a single platform, i.e. a handheld with HDMI out.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is it foolish to expect Wii U-like graphics from the next handheld? I mean, less polygons and better shaders. In 2016, that shouldn't be impossible to have with a good consumer price, right?

tipoo

Banned
Is it foolish to expect Wii U-like graphics from the next handheld? I mean, less polygons and better shaders. In 2016, that shouldn't be impossible to have with a good consumer price, right?

But the Nintendo factor. I'm absolutely sure smartphones will have surpassed it by 2016, but their handheld could be much lower on the totem pole. We just can't know yet.

Mpl90

To be honest, I have a good feeling about that, since they're reorganising their R&D in order to share assets, OS and features between their consoles. That alone should suggest next portable could be quite more than just "a little more than Vita".

Actually, if wsippel source is right and they searched for a US vendor for SoC, that could be more likely: next handheld could be even more made of off-the-shelves parts than 3DS, no?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Intriguing, wsippel. Scrap Wii U for this new system (handheld/stationary hybrid) while maintaining 3DS? Announcement at the FY13 Third Quarter Earnings Release presentation (or at the potential "new strategy meeting" Iwata has mentioned) on January 29th/30th, launch in 2015? Nah, probably not. But still, intriguing.

Hermii

Rösti;97226585 said:
Intriguing, wsippel. Scrap Wii U for this new system (handheld/stationary hybrid) while maintaining 3DS? Announcement at the FY13 Third Quarter Earnings Release presentation (or at the potential "new strategy meeting" Iwata has mentioned) on January 29th/30th, launch in 2015? Nah, probably not. But still, intriguing.

They are not making a hybrid, all they are doing is unifying their architectures.

In this sense, what we should be discussing is not cloud gaming but whether dedicated gaming platforms will eventually die out and whether handheld gaming devices and home consoles will one day be unified. Naturally, our stance is that dedicated gaming platforms will not die out and we are determined to create a future where they will not. In terms of our platform integration, as I explained to you a short while ago, we are not saying that we are planning to integrate our platforms into one. What we are saying is that we would like to integrate software development methods, operating systems, and built-in software and software assets for each platform so that we can use them across different machines. This means that if we manage to integrate our platforms successfully, we may in fact be able to make more platforms. At the moment, we only have our current handheld devices and home consoles because if we tried to make more platforms, our development resources would be spread too thinly. The more we can share software across different platforms, the more development resources will be left for something else. Platform integration does not mean creating one type of platform, but the point is that the united method of software development will enable us to share our most precious software assets across different hardware. It is natural that there will be more things that battery-run devices can do thanks to technological advances and game consoles will become more powerful. However, if we try to linearly pursue this direction, software development will become so complicated that we will eventually face a situation where cost recovery becomes a serious issue. Therefore we feel that we are nearing a saturation point in terms of simply improving performance or enhancing graphics. What is far more important for the future of video games is whether we can make new propositions in other aspects and create games out of something that people never expected to see in the form of a game.

Interesting. I would like to highlight the bolded. A 3rd HW could be coming, could be a smaller and cheaper Handheld to compete with smartphones in pricing.

They don´t mention the porting between devices but that could be a cheap way to increase launch games on a device.

This is likely the reason why wsippel decided to post this info in this thread. Nintendo's decision with its portable's specs will likely be a major clue on what to expect from them for future hardware.

At least we will have a starting point for the next gen Nintendo speculation threads ;).

Significantly more powerful than the Vita isn't going to happen is it.

I agree, I don't think they will go far above Vita in performance. Iwata will only see Vita sales as proof of his "hardware power doesn't matter" philosophy.

I don't see how the Wii U proves that Nintendo cheapened out. They just allocated a portion of that budget to other things like the gamepad which lets be honest is a pretty sweet thing for a freaking controller. If they went with a more traditional controller I'm sure that alone would have made it more beefy.

If they had just went with a pro controller or Wii mote instead of the gamepad I think the systems power would be much the same because of their current hardware attitude. They simply would have been able to launch it at a cheaper price.

The mullins box is the one on the right by the way. It may look big but that is because the case contains a 256 gig SSD so it is smaller than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO0IbIiaAVM

Video shows it running FIFA 2014 (was also shown running PES 2013), and it running windows 8.1. The mullins box contained 2 gigs of ram as well.

Is that system more powerful than WiiU ?, amazing that it has 4GB's of RAM and can run Fifa'14 at 1080p at the same time as Windows 8 !

Interesting. I would like to highlight the bolded. A 3rd HW could be coming, could be a smaller and cheaper Handheld to compete with smartphones in pricing.

They don´t mention the porting between devices but that could be a cheap way to increase launch games on a device.

Yeah, Nintendo may have learned a few lessons from the 3DS and Wii U, but I don't think those change Nintendo's core philosophy of "doing something different." The market seems to be moving in the direction of oversized smartphones and tablets, but Nintendo may opt for something ultraportable and great on battery consumption, granting that everyone is going to need a smartphone/tablet for things other than games, and pocket/bag space for most folks is limited.

We discussed this possibility a bit in the secret developer thread. I think that it would make a lot of sense for them right now. 3DS is plateauing, Wii U is struggling and they need a spark. A new 3rd platform could be a starting point for where their console philosophy goes in the future just like the DS was a harbinger for the Wii.

If they do go this route it will be interesting to see if it's a modest device or something bleeding edge. Modest sounds a lot safer and that's always been their MO in the past.

Donnie

Fourth Storm

By a unified platform they could be referring to a console and handheld in one I suppose. Like some had suggested with a handheld that's like a WiiU gamepad that connects to a TV to become a console.

majik13

Fourth Storm

By a unified platform they could be referring to a console and handheld in one I suppose. Like some had suggested with a handheld that's like a WiiU gamepad that connects to a TV to become a console.

yep I think this is their best plan of action, and could really curb their software drought issue, no longer would they be struggling to support multiple platforms with games.

We discussed this possibility a bit in the secret developer thread. I think that it would make a lot of sense for them right now. 3DS is plateauing, Wii U is struggling and they need a spark. A new 3rd platform could be a starting point for where their console philosophy goes in the future just like the DS was a harbinger for the Wii.

If they do go this route it will be interesting to see if it's a modest device or something bleeding edge. Modest sounds a lot safer and that's always been their MO in the past.

Yes that sounds like Nintendo, but who knows, maybe 3DS/2DS becomes that lower end portable, it has a large userbase already, and they go a bit high end with a gaming tablet that can connect to a TV.

Donnie

yep I think this is their best plan of action, and could really curb their software drought issue, no longer would they be struggling to support multiple platforms with games.

Maybe though I prefer the idea of two separate systems with the same architecture scaled to fit each platform. Anyway they say they aren't going for a unified platform in those quotes. I'm just postulating on what they mean by that.

wsippel

Banned
Rösti;97226585 said:
Not going to happen. That's just my my gut feeling by the way, but no, it's not going to happen. It simply makes no sense. Their next systems might be similar, but there won't be a hybrid.

Mpl90

About next gen handheld, I know this is a thread purely about specs, but I had recently an idea in mind about it...which could also impact on its specs. In the form factor. Or better, form factors in this case. Mind you if I share it with you?

Fourth Storm

I don't like the HDMI out idea. That puts all their eggs in one low power basket when they could be making profit on multiple hardwares. I am in support of a unified platform such as Android or iOS, or going back further a bit similar to the Turbo Duo concept. Have all portable games be playable on the home console and allow that to be the majority of support. I don't know how feasible things like different resolution/texture/effect settings are, but PC devs have been doing for ages now (seemingly less with Japanese devs now - thanks Durante). And I would still want home console exclusives like Zelda to push scope a bit. As joesiv mentioned, some things like npcs start to affect core gameplay when you scale back.

But it doesn't seem Nintendo are pursuing that direction. Those quotes I posted come right from around the beginning of 2013, just as they were starting to shop for SoCs to customize . I think we should be looking at some low power mobile chips that are probably around already.

I don't like the HDMI out idea. That puts all their eggs in one low power basket when they could be making profit on multiple hardwares. I am in support of a unified platform such as Android or iOS, or going back further a bit similar to the Turbo Duo concept. Have all portable games be playable on the home console and allow that to be the majority of support. I don't know how feasible things like different resolution/texture/effect settings are, but PC devs have been doing for ages now (seemingly less with Japanese devs now - thanks Durante). And I would still want home console exclusives like Zelda to push scope a bit. As joesiv mentioned, some things like npcs start to affect core gameplay when you scale back.

But it doesn't seem Nintendo are pursuing that direction. Those quotes I posted come right from around the beginning of 2013, just as they were starting to shop for SoCs to customize . I think we should be looking at some low power mobile chips that are probably around already.
One of the ideas I was proposing was to essentially keep the same form factor (or something close to it) of the existing Wii U but move a portion of the system's processing power to the pad and give it a facelift. The pad and system together would still function like the Wii U does now but the pad controller would actually be functional on its own away from the system to play simpler games or possibly even remote play like the PS4/Vita.

I don't know how feasible an idea like that would be and it's possible that it may cause even more development headaches for Nintendo if they have to develop games specifically for the new device but it might help the current apathy towards the Wii U as a device and help them relaunch it. It would be important that the new pad be compatible with existing Wii Us so current owners don't feel shafted by the new device. It would essentially be an optional upgrade for those who would want it.

Donnie

I don't like the idea of a single system that's both a console and handheld either and I don't think Nintendo will go down that route. I'm just wondering if, when they say they aren't looking to a unified platform, they maybe just mean they aren't looking to a single console/handheld device. Rather than not looking to a unified architecture (two seperate systems using differently scaled versions of the same hardware).

I don't like the idea of a single system that's both a console and handheld either and I don't think Nintendo will go down that route. I'm just wondering if, when they say they aren't looking to a unified platform, they maybe just mean they aren't looking to a single console/handheld device. Rather than not looking to a unified architecture (two seperate systems using differently scaled versions of the same hardware).

Yeah, as I said, that would make sense, but go through Iwata and Miyamoto's wording and notice that they say alot of things, but never say that actual games will be shared across platforms. They talk about developing environment, OS, built-in applications - all software and not hardware architecture. I wouldn't be surprised if the handheld and home console have some commonalities, but they needn't both be the same "architecture." Even now, there is software that can take iOS code and in a few minutes allow it to run on Wii U. Nintendo seem to be looking more in this direction - ease of development. But I think they want to keep their hardware lines separate in consumer's eyes, so they double dip. Have them both be affordable of course, and perhaps even allow for off-tv play when combined. Maybe even have some indie titles or VC titles that are cross-platform. But look at Smash - they relish the fact that the 3DS and Wii U versions are distinct.

In sum, Iwata's goal seems not how to consolidate platforms but how to better support multiple platforms - or how to get Nintendo to make more games in less time.

There is a chart / graph floating around Gaf which shows where Nintendo have made most of their money in the videogame industry... most of it is from hardware. There is no way they chop their revenue in half by merging their home and handheld systems next gen imo, if anything they will add a third system.

I also don't think they will be releasing one game across both systems as standard ala Smash Bros 4. I think Iwata meant that by sharing the same architecture, developers will be able to use and modify existing assets for software development across both platforms on top of both systems being able to use the same OS / Store / Apps. The Virtual Console instantly springs to mind as something which would greatly benefit from a unified architecture. Could the possible third system be a cheap smartphone like VC device ?... I see a lot of people playing Pokemon and Mario roms on their smartphone on the way to work.

If there is indeed a new 'third pillar' coming, we may get a glimpse at the base of the future hardware of both the next handheld and home consoles extremely early.

Mpl90

Yeah, the main purposes for the R&D reorganisation are

1)Better comunication between both sectors
2)Assets being shared
3)OSes being more unified
4)Much better development overall

And this is why I think next handheld could be quite decent, spec-wise: I mean, sharing assets between home and handheld would be less useful if the consoles are too different in performance (not just architecture), right?

Also, re-asking since it was at the end of the last page.

About next gen handheld, I know this is a thread purely about specs, but I had recently an idea in mind about it...which could also impact on its specs. In the form factor. Or better, form factors in this case. Mind you if I share it with you?

joesiv

There is no way they chop their revenue in half by merging their home and handheld systems next gen imo, if anything they will add a third system.

I agree, and having the staggered portable and home hardware release schedule is great since if one side is struggling, it can help carry the weak side. Like how the DS carried the gamecube in it's later years, and how the 3DS is now carrying the Wii U.

If they merged the hardware and released them simultainiously, then if it fails to gain traction, then it's a much worse situation (all eggs in one basket).

However, there could definitely be more synergy between portable and home console. For example, the next gen portable, could be "the" 2nd gamepad for the Wii U, and also for the next gen home console.

*edit*, man we should really be taking this talk to another thread, perhaps in community, where it can exist happily until details start coming out.

Hermii

Yeah, as I said, that would make sense, but go through Iwata and Miyamoto's wording and notice that they say alot of things, but never say that actual games will be shared across platforms. They talk about developing environment, OS, built-in applications - all software and not hardware architecture. I wouldn't be surprised if the handheld and home console have some commonalities, but they needn't both be the same "architecture." Even now, there is software that can take iOS code and in a few minutes allow it to run on Wii U. Nintendo seem to be looking more in this direction - ease of development. But I think they want to keep their hardware lines separate in consumer's eyes, so they double dip. Have them both be affordable of course, and perhaps even allow for off-tv play when combined. Maybe even have some indie titles or VC titles that are cross-platform. But look at Smash - they relish the fact that the 3DS and Wii U versions are distinct.

In sum, Iwata's goal seems not how to consolidate platforms but how to better support multiple platforms - or how to get Nintendo to make more games in less time.

I Imagine the problems they had with implementing miiverse on 3ds, and developing smash on 3ds and Wii U at the same time influenced this decision.

Azure J

I just wanted to chime in and ask, what has everyone so certain (wsippel included I guess) that the 2013 search for a new architechture was primarily a move for their handheld? Is it just educated guessing based on 3DS getting on in years or is there more (no need to elaborate if it gets anyone antsy/steps on any source toes)?

krizzx

I just wanted to chime in and ask, what has everyone so certain (wsippel included I guess) that the 2013 search for a new architechture was primarily a move for their handheld? Is it just educated guessing based on 3DS getting on in years or is there more (no need to elaborate if it gets anyone antsy/steps on any source toes)?

From all I have garnered, its mostly wishful thinking. There is no real hard proof to back it since Nintendo doesn't let their internal practices leak. I guess it just seems the most logical with so little information to go on. I personally hope they go nowhere near the direct of a tablet and stick with the DS as the core design.

In other news the dev of project cars is suggesting that the Wii U version will hold true to what we've seen in videos and screenshots to date.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/...epresent-wii-u-version-director-slightly-mad/ Coupled with their statement about showing the Wii U's hidden power, this could tell us a lot about what Latte is really capable of.

I wish they would release some actual footage, though.

That's basically it: the 3DS is older and it would make sense for its successor to be at that stage of development.

I'm thinking since we're getting to a point that handhelds can play the same fidelity of software as hardware in Nintendo's case definitely that we're going to see a convergence of their software line. You own both the handheld and console and the games can be played across each. Home console hardware just renders it at a higher fidelity.

3D World/Land is pretty much that concept, except with a much larger gulf. Something that may not be all that appreciable with Vita level hardware more memory, and whatever their next home console unit is powered by. Especially since I expect their next handheld to have a lower than expected res screen. Like 854x480.

Functionally I expect the home console to launch with a standard controller or the handheld to act as the controller, but I expect software library to be identical across each.

I'm pretty sure it will be of no help to western 3rd parties.

Lumyst

That's basically it: the 3DS is older and it would make sense for its successor to be at that stage of development.

If I understand correctly, one of the goals in unifying the hardware teams is to share hardware developments with the game developers sooner, so that they can get started on games sooner, right? Or was Iwata talking about sharing hardware developments with the SDK/OS/App type of developers? I guess I'm hoping they are able to start making games for that new device sooner, perhaps alongside the design of the new hardware, and that they are able to launch that new device with their best games rather than...Steel Diver 3.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

It basically sounds like Nintendo will take advantage of the restructuring of their hardware/software development groups to create their own custom middleware that is hardware agnostic, at least to an extent. There are many benefits to this including sharing of assets between console and handheld devices, quicker transitions for game developers between hardware generations (devs will be able to target a very rough estimate for performance on existing versions of the middleware, based on reasonable predictions by the hardware/OS team), easier to implement backwards compatibility which will allow them to continue selling legacy titles without having to port them over again to each new hardware, and (as Iwata hints) greater flexibility with hardware and platform releases (both internally developed experimental hardware and actual retail "third pillar" type products).

The downside to this will obviously be raw performance and per-platform optimisation, but it'd be very typical for Nintendo to feel comfortable with this tradeoff, as performance is something that will only continue to increase on all platforms, and Nintendo have never really been that adamant about pushing their own hardware to its absolute limits, preferring to have an easy development environment whenever there was a choice between the two.

edit: Two interesting thoughts in this context: If this ends up being the direction they choose to go, to what extent will said middleware be hardware agnostic, and will Nintendo agree to license the middleware to third parties?

tipoo

Banned
There is a chart / graph floating around Gaf which shows where Nintendo have made most of their money in the videogame industry... most of it is from hardware. There is no way they chop their revenue in half by merging their home and handheld systems next gen imo, if anything they will add a third system.

Wow, really? I'd like to see it. I know they've historically liked making profits off hardware, but I thought that was still marginal to their game sales on that hardware.

SmokyDave

No this is real. Even without his sources its very real. with Unity being announced today for Vita Nintendo knows they cant go another 4 minimum years with 3ds not getting games that the vita will get because of no Unity support. I am not sure how they pull this one off but i think we are going to see more rumors and info of this popping up sooner than later.
I don't think Nintendo give the slightest shit about this, to be honest.

In other news the dev of project cars is suggesting that the Wii U version will hold true to what we've seen in videos and screenshots to date.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/...epresent-wii-u-version-director-slightly-mad/ Coupled with their statement about showing the Wii U's hidden power, this could tell us a lot about what Latte is really capable of.

I think that article is being incredibly misleading and drawing the wrong conclusion from what the person said. The technical director said:

Every screenshot or video you’ve seen from Project CARS so far has been taken by an actual player – any one of our WMD community members. So there should be trust already that what you see on websites or on YouTube is actually what you’re going to see in the game. There are no plans to abuse that trust when it comes to the Wii U version ;-)

This doesn't seem to be saying that "Hey, what you see in the PC version is what you'll see in the WiiU version" but rather "we're not going to release bullshots or images that misrepresent the quality of the graphics of the WiiU version."

Titling the article "Do The PC Screenshots of Project CARS represent the Wii U version? Or is the Director Slightly Mad?" seems grossly unrepresentative of what he said, because it creates an implication that the high-end PC shots are what the WiiU version will look like. As if that's not enough, it includes footage of the PC version running at 1440p maxed out. In an article that just drew the conclusion that what you see online is what the WiiU version will look like.

Fourth Storm

I really hope not, that is a TERRIBLE idea.

Nothing that goes into a handheld any time soon is going to be powerful enough to compete as a console. Using similar architecture but with a power difference between them, and running the same or very similar OS would be a much smarter unified platform. That way you can meet the needs and requirements of a handheld, ie low power draw, long battery life and meet the needs of a console.

Doing that would mean the possibility of crossplatform support, specially for digital only, and VC titles. It would allow one team to easily jump from a handheld title to a console title and vs versa. There are so many benefits to that and some pretty huge cons to a console/handheld hybrid.

To do a console/handheld in one is asinine and asking for 3rd parties to ignore them even more than they already are.

One of the ideas I was proposing was to essentially keep the same form factor (or something close to it) of the existing Wii U but move a portion of the system's processing power to the pad and give it a facelift. The pad and system together would still function like the Wii U does now but the pad controller would actually be functional on its own away from the system to play simpler games or possibly even remote play like the PS4/Vita.

I don't know how feasible an idea like that would be and it's possible that it may cause even more development headaches for Nintendo if they have to develop games specifically for the new device but it might help the current apathy towards the Wii U as a device and help them relaunch it. It would be important that the new pad be compatible with existing Wii Us so current owners don't feel shafted by the new device. It would essentially be an optional upgrade for those who would want it.

While this is an interesting idea, I think it would be too expensive to be something they pursue. If they decide to be remotely competitive spec wise on the hardware of both the console and handheld space, then you'd be looking at a 600 - 700 dollar system. Which is INSANITY, gamers are going to drop that much. Parents aren't going to drop that much. It's much better to sell them as

Though as I reread your post you seem to mean it as a redo of the Wii U, and that's just not going to happen. Nintendo's not going to drop the Wii U, no matter how badly it does. They're going to ride it out, and I don't think you'll see a replacement console till 2017/18 IMHO.

krizzx

No this is real. Even without his sources its very real. with Unity being announced today for Vita Nintendo knows they cant go another 4 minimum years with 3ds not getting games that the vita will get because of no Unity support. I am not sure how they pull this one off but i think we are going to see more rumors and info of this popping up sooner than later.

Since when have things like that ever mattered to Nintendo? Other hardware has always gotten games that Nintendo hardware didn't get regardless of specs or featured software, and not getting the games the Vita has been getting hasn't been killing the 3DS or boosting Vita above it up to this point from what I've seen.

Everything about this unified platform things sounds like a bad idea to me. Just look at Windows 8 trying to make an OS for tablets and standard PCs. You get a middling OS. A handheld console hybrid would just be a middling game device in my opinion.

Handhelds and console intentionally serve different purposes and different markets. Their is no cost effective way to do it properly. A handheld with power of a next gen system would be too expensive and an inexpensive console with that works as a handheld would be too weak. Cost and power consumption still seem to be Nintendo's primary concerns.

I'm not saying Nintendo absolutely won't do it, but they would be wise not to.

prag16

Banned
Since when have things like that ever mattered to Nintendo? Other hardware has always gotten games that Nintendo hardware didn't get regardless of specs or featured software, and not getting the games the Vita has been getting hasn't been killing the 3DS or boosting Vita above it up to this point from what I've seen.

Everything about this unified platform things sounds like a bad idea to me. Just look at Windows 8 trying to make an OS for tablets and standard PCs. You get a middling OS. A handheld console hybrid would just be a middling game device in my opinion.

Handhelds and console intentionally serve different purposes and different markets. Their is no cost effective way to do it properly. A handheld with power of a next gen system would be too expensive and an inexpensive console with that works as a handheld would be too weak. Cost and power consumption still seem to be Nintendo's primary concerns.

I'm not saying Nintendo absolutely won't do it, but they would be wise not to.

As I'm sure you understand, a "unified platform" and a "hybrid console" aren't necessarily the same thing. e.g. iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad are all on the same OS platform. This doesn't mean there can't be large power/capability gulf between various devices on the platform.

Banned
Almost certainly off-topic, but I don't quite want to make a new thread, because it would go to shit quickly. Also, I'd need to post a source, and I don't really want to get people in trouble. Anyway, Nintendo apparently started working on a new platform in early 2013 and has already selected a vendor for the SoC after talking to several potential candidates. The SoC might be based on an existing design, but will be changed to fit Nintendo's requirements. I assume it's for their next handheld, though.
I'm gonna go with the 3DS's successor as usually the SoC is chosen 2-3 years before shipping.

I think dual analog will be a guarantee on this one, and probably a 2D LED dual screen setup. Maybe 480p on the top screen and 360p on the bottom. Early 2016 release. I don't see Nintendo going for an HD screen on a handheld, even 720p for a 5" top screen. I would take 544p as the vita ppi is excellent for me.

prag16

Banned
I'm gonna go with the 3DS's successor as usually the SoC is chosen 2-3 years before shipping.

I think dual analog will be a guarantee on this one, and probably a 2D LED dual screen setup. Maybe 480p on the top screen and 360p on the bottom. Early 2016 release. I don't see Nintendo going for an HD screen on a handheld, even 720p for a 5" top screen. I would take 544p as the vita ppi is excellent for me.

I think your initial comment sounds right knowing Nintendo. A 3DSxl sized dual analog device with 854x480 on the upper screen and 640x360 on the lower screen. Really at that size that should be fine (despite what some will say). But that's probably the bare minimum they can get away with.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
how likely is it foldable screens will be cheap enough by the time the successor to the 3DS comes out?

I was hoping they'd go for a mini-tablet like design (when fully open) with a clamshell form factor. It's be the best of both worlds if not too expensive.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
kwVOc0P.jpg

Being that new, I'd say very unlikely for Nint to consider it. :p

samsung showed a folding display this week at CES behind closed doors, and claimed they could have it in a product by 2015...

the question is how much will it cost by 2016?.. Nintendo don't want to repeat the same mistake they made with the 3DS by selling a pricey handheld all because of one feature..

but it really could be quite the killer feature if they can be the first to sell it at a mass market price

Showing a prototype is very different than a mass manufactured low cost product...
true, but if (and admittedly that's a big if) there's a Samsung phone with foldable display by 2015, that would already mean the display is affordable, just not affordable to Nintendo yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom