• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU - Undercooked and rushed to the market?

shuri

Banned
drudge_flashing_light_2.gif
** MAJOR UPDATE -- NINTENDO SUPPORT *CANT* SWITCH NNIDS TO A NEW CONSOLE! PURCHASES ARE LOCKED FOREVER TO CONSOLE NO MIGRATION POSSIBLE
drudge_flashing_light_2.gif

As the launch day of Nintendo's newest effort ends; the Internet is flooded with impressions and critiques of the system. I thought it would be a good idea to simply compile all the issues found so far in a single thread.

Multimedia Links!
Video showing slow loading problems...

1. Slower than expected browser benchmarks (Source)
  2. Security issues and possible debug code left activated (Source)
  3. Questionable choices for onboard RAM (Source)
  4. Issues with Account Sharing between systems (Source)
  5. Lack of quality control on 3rd party launch titles (Source)
  6. Audio Setup problems with HDMI and certain setups (Source)
  7. Single unique Saved game slot for all users limitation (game per game basis) (Source)
  8. Day Zero 5gb patch download (Source)
  9. Shorter than expected battery life (between 3-5 hours reported so far by various users)
  10. Various issues with the interface (slow responses; could be explained by launch day networking issues)
  11. Various HDMI video outputs issues (Source)
  12. WIFI Configuration Problems (needs source!)
  13. Severe problems with distance limitations and gameplay (Source)
  14. Loading time problems (need sources!)
  15. HARD LOCK ISSUES (!!!!!) ((Several Source)
  16. *MAJOR ISSUE* Nintendo customer service can't switch over NNIDs to a new console YOUR PURCHASES ARE LOCKED FOREVER TO THE CONSOLE (??) ((SOURCE)
Of course everything can be patched eventually with patches, but I think we can expect a bit more from Nintendo. I'm starting to wonder if the whole system was not rushed to the market as the wii was sinking; perhaps this is NOJ's first big misstep?

Izick

Pretty much how it feels. The Giant Bomb Live Show basically pounded that idea in. I really don't understand how the online side of it is so botched. A patch is one thing, but this is kind of ludicrous.

Prepared to be called a troll or hater for saying something about Nintendo though.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Does look like it. It can also reflect the time or dedication of third-party devs, developing such glitchy and broken games for the launch. The third-party support was supposedly one of the WiiU's highlights.

It also looks like Nintendo has no idea how to emulate Google, Apple or even Microsoft when trying to create some kind of intertwining ecosystem.

drspeedy

Pretty much how it feels. The Giant Bomb Live Show basically pounded that idea in. I really don't understand how the online side of it is so botched. A patch is one thing, but this is kind of ludicrous.

Prepared to be called a troll or hater for saying something about Nintendo though.

Hater.

jackal27

Banned
After the undercooked 3DS that I bought a year and a half ago, none of this surprises me. I'm glad I decided to hold off for a while.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
It hasn't eased any of my concerns... it's done completely the opposite, added more!

How are you going to firmware update RAM, I want to see that...

JCizzle

The absolutely worst thing about Gaf. I was really looking forward to picking one up sometime soon, now I'm pretty much on the other side of the fence.

Same. The concept of a dedicated remote play capability that can take your console around the house is awesome. But I'm not jumping on that if third party games run like crap or aren't ported at all. Hopefully Sony steals the concept through Vita with the PS4.

Yep.

I had pretty low expectations, but the loading screens and glitchy/hanging OS/Software kinda took me by surprise.
Nintendo really dropped the ball on this one, kinda feels like a 3DS all over again.

If I wasn't getting the Wii U really cheap, I'd totally bail.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You know, I thought it was rushed because of all the controller issues they kept having so close to launch (a few months out but still, was worrying).

I'd say there's more reasons why it seems rushed now though, but a lot of those are lolNintendo design decisions too. But TBH I expect exactly the same of the 720 and PS4 with the way platforms are evolving and getting more complex.

While I retain my optomism for the future, and reasonably expected a few hiccups along the way, the feeling that the Wii U was rushed has been endemic throughout the past two years, no doubt compounded by the two E3s.

But it's been a day of completely new lessons for Nintendo and most important is the fact that they simply learn and don't become prone to reactivity.

We'll see~

Huff

Banned
3rd party gaves shitting the bed shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

But man the OS problems. you can tell this was their first time

Pctx

Banned
Sucks for people who jumped on this but I'm kinda glad this is happening to Nintendo since they deserve it.

LevityNYC

Banned
Remember King Kong on the 360? Madden 2006 on the 360? Perfect Dark on the 360? Looking back, those games were fucking horrible.

The OS being as sluggish as it looks is either a result of not having enough time to program everything, or just having poor programmers.

After watching the Zelda tech demo, the third party stuff is fucking embarrassing for third parties.

BadWolf

After that Giant Bomb stream I'll be very weary of picking one up any time soon, it looked extremely unimpressive in pretty much every aspect.

Danny-Boy

Well after all these issues I'm back on the fence. Not sure if I should wait til these problems get ironed out. Is Nintendo capable of fixing these issues? They seem lost.

Yeah, but 360 and PS3 had terrible launches as well, and recovered quite nicely.
The Xbox 360 and PS3 didn't have ports of games from 6 year old consoles that chugged badly and they didn't have ridiculous load times IN JUST THE OS. Compared to all of this, the 360 and PS3 launches were great. They don't even compare to this shitshow.

Yep, no wonder Nintendo didn't reveal much about the Wii U prior to launch day.

What an awful launch on what looks like another disappointing Nintendo console.

Cartman86

Banned
Why the fuck when I press the Home button does it kick me out of the eshop and every other one of those "apps" that was added with the update? Makes checking battery life or taking screenshots impossible doesn't it?

Codeblue

If you expected battery life to be longer, you weren't paying attention. It sucks, but we've been aware of it for a while now.

Omzz

While I'm not happy with some things, I'm willing to wait to see how Nintendo improves the OS in the coming months. Hopefully we'll see some noticeable differences then.

I'm still enjoying it a lot though. I think Miiverse is great.

Top Bottom