• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU - Undercooked and rushed to the market?

Seik

Banned
Anyway, any OS-related issues will probably be fixed via some patches. Pretty sure it'll be done quickly as well.

I think some of these issues are making mountains from mole hills.

I mean lots of these issues plague all new hardware.

I don't see many of them as extremely endemic to the long term success or failure of the console.

Same here. Pikmin Adventure took me by surprise and I love how i can relax and play with it with the football game on.
Nintendo Land in general has taken me by surprise. But perhaps its that art style and music that makes it MAGICAL~~

I think a few people here are being a bit hyperbolic but their complaints do have a firm basis in reality -- drop YOSHI'S ULAND.

Very clear this is not the final OS but another place marker.
Its obvious the console is constantly reconnecting to the Network; or at least attempting to.

Least I hope its just a place marker. US release is certainly rushed for Black Friday.
Hopefully things get better for EU launch.

I think some of these issues are making mountains from mole hills.

I mean lots of these issues plague all new hardware.

I don't see many of them as extremely endemic to the long term success or failure of the console.

I think you're referring to GAF in general...

Remember the 360 launch?

Remember King Kong on the 360? Madden 2006 on the 360? Perfect Dark on the 360? Looking back, those games were fucking horrible.

and the blades were a laggy mess.

still.

The only thing this changes is that Nintendo isn't alone in sloppy launches. Doesn't mean it should be excused, especially when Ninty has historically held itself to higher standards. Both the WiiU and 3DS - its two most recent consoles - have been sloppy.

The OS definitely seems very rushed.

This:
2bQw8.png

happens when a disc is removed in game.

Wasn't the game loading when they did that? I think it happened with Wii game too.

ffdgh

Yeah hoping everything is sorted out eventually. It has certainly been an learning experience for them to say the lease.

Metallix87

Doesn't mean it should be excused, especially when Ninty has historically held itself to higher standards. Both the WiiU and 3DS - its two most recent consoles - have been sloppy.

I think they likely see it as more excusable now, since they can gauge feedback and update accordingly moving forward.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Nintendo have made some really weird decisions with this console.

Going to be interesting to watch it unfold over the weeks and months.

Squire

Banned
Rushed? Maybe. Lazy? Hell yes. And reluctant. Nintendo is being incredibly grudging in catering to the hardcore.

Iacobellis

Nintendo keeps screwing up. The launch titles here were better than what the 3DS had, but bugs and hoops to jump through to get online doesn't warrant an excuse. How come they nailed it perfectly with the Wii?

Oersted

I didn't know Skyrim was a launch title for the PS3

That is my point Watson. They had time. There was no rushing to launch. It still went trough Sony´s gates.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 didn't have ports of games from 6 year old consoles that chugged badly and they didn't have ridiculous load times IN JUST THE OS. Compared to all of this, the 360 and PS3 launches were great. They don't even compare to this shitshow.

Call again when YLODs and RRODs are happening.

thuway

The OS being as sluggish as it looks is either a result of not having enough time to program everything, or just having poor programmers.

After watching the Zelda tech demo
, the third party stuff is fucking embarrassing for third parties.
As if Nintendo has released any thing to wow us at launch. Fuckouttahere with this. The system is gimped to hell and back for a console in 2012.

Yes.

Madden 2006 on PS2 was the tits. They removed a ton of features on it and it was at half the framerate
No. Madden 06 on the PS2 was not the same game and ran in SD. That's not equivalent to what is going on with AC3, Epic Mickey 2, BLOPS2, Arkham City, etc.

rekameohs

Banned
Did those games have an equivalent version that ran better on previous generation consoles?

Off the top of my head, Madden for 360 was a disaster, and King Kong was so bad that Ubisoft recommended people buy the Xbox version. Couple that with the Red Ring disaster and loads of PS3's still on shelves.

Console launches always inherently have major problems. NeoGAF just fails to realize this.

Iacobellis

Yes.

Madden 2006 on PS2 was the tits. They removed a ton of features on it and it ran at half the framerate on the 360.

Oh God, I remember how bad this was. I don't remember Madden returning to the 60FPS gameplay every PS2 version had until like 2007 or 2008.

gatti-man

Well after all these issues I'm back on the fence. Not sure if I should wait til these problems get ironed out. Is Nintendo capable of fixing these issues? They seem lost.

I haven't had a single issue. Game pad lasts around 5 hours on full charge for me. Hopefully there is an option to turn the screen off in the future.

cloudyy

Why the fuck when I press the Home button does it kick me out of the eshop and every other one of those "apps" that was added with the update? Makes checking battery life or taking screenshots impossible doesn't it?
Press again to go back, no?

Squire

Banned
Did those games have an equivalent version that ran better on previous generation consoles?

Seriously, people are gonna have to understand that the circumstances and time the Wii U is being launched make pretty much any comparison of this type to the 360 and PS3 inherently broken.

Margalis

Banned
How many threads do we need bemoaning the day 1 patch?

Have you guys not used a video game system or PC in the last 5 years?

720/PS4 threads are going to be amazing.

Absinthe

PSN and the Store were an absolute disaster when they came out. WiiU is not nearly that bad IMO.

Now that was 6 years ago though too so...

Too many of us are forgetting history, and clearly, haven't learned from the past launches. Things will get better, not worse. That is the common pattern.

Off the top of my head, Madden for 360 was a disaster, and King Kong was so bad that Ubisoft recommended people buy the Xbox version.

Console launches are always terrible. NeoGAF just fails to realize this.
Those. Were. Not. Equivalent. Versions.

Madden 06 ran on a completely new engine on 360 and was a separately created game. Not. Equivalent.

And also there's the fact that the 360 was rendering those games at a higher resolution. However the 360 and PS3 versions of these Wii U games are every bit as HD as the Wii U games. I don't understand how you can't understand this.

I'm saying the Wii U launch is worse. I remember the 360 launch vividly and went through 3 consoles as a result of RRoDs. I'm not talking hardware issues here, I'm talking strictly software issues.

My expectation was that a brand new console would at the very least be as good as the current gen consoles. I'm an idiot for expecting that. It's nowhere near the quality of the PS3/360 experience. NSMBU is in HD and plays great though. So there's that.

Absinthe

My expectation was that a brand new console would at the very least be as good as the current gen consoles. I'm an idiot for expecting that. It's nowhere near the quality of the PS3/360 experience. NSMBU is in HD and plays great though. So there's that.

Ports, with around a 6 month dev time, running on code built for different and older architectures. There is a reason that the first party games are not having the issues the ports are having.... Things will get better.

volpone

Banned
Hey, if the 360 could survive its massive failure rate during its first three to four years, and the PS3 could survive a lack of compelling exclusives for a good 2 years, I'm sure Nintendo can survive a few teething pains for their new console.

Top Bottom