• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiWare now available in Japan.

Neomoto

Eteric Rice said:
So, I haven't been keeping up. Is WiiWare delivering?
If you take a look at the current known projects, then it's not quite there yet I think but it's coming along great.

All it really needs for it to become amazing is 1 or 2 killer apps from Nintendo themselves, which I think is pretty likely sooner or later.

Arde5643 said:
It's still crazy how there are more quality 3rd party games in here compared to Wii retail 3rd party games.
I think it's likely that even the more bigger 3rd party's will get one board with WiiWare fast.

40% of Wii's enitre userbase at your deposal without competition from Nintendo? Oh shit! If WiiWare launch proves to be succesvol (aka lots of money to be made) then WiiWare will probably give the Wii retail flood of announcements a run for it's money.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nuclear Muffin said:
20,000 songs at launch with 1000 songs added each month!

Again, yeah right

20,000 songs at one minute each is two weeks worth of solid music.

1,000 songs per month means 33 songs per calendar day, which means if they have 10 dedicated people on this they'll have to finish up 3 songs per calendar day or more per business day.

As much as I love Hudson, I highly doubt that they'll have an Apple-sized launch library, a bigger-than-Harmonix development team on a go-forward basis, and an interface that enables you to effectively go through 20,000+ songs.

Stumpokapow said:
Again, yeah right

1,000 songs per month means 33 songs per calendar day, which means if they have 10 dedicated people on this they'll have to finish up 3 songs per calendar day or more per business day.

As much as I love Hudson, I highly doubt that they'll have an Apple-sized launch library, a bigger-than-Harmonix development team on a go-forward basis, and an interface that enables you to effectively go through 20,000+ songs.

Hudson is using the joysound catalogue, thats why they will have 20,000 songs eventually not at launch. They will add 1000 a month, so it will taje them 20 months to fill the entire catalogue. After that i guess they will update at the same rate of joysound

The 20 000 songs probably have enough metadata to allow a good interface

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Starchasing said:
The 20 000 songs probably have enough metadata to allow a good interface

iTunes is the only piece of software I've seen that has ever been able to come close to categorizing 20,000 files in a way that all are easily accessible. Even Windows Explorer/Finder don't do that.

I mean, I'm not accusing anyone here of mistranslating or lying or anything, I'm accusing Hudson of at least being overly zealous. It just seems astonishingly unlikely that they'd be able to pull this off.

Stumpokapow said:
Again, yeah right

I'm only stating what is in IGN article, that is exactly what is written and I would assume that they have an accurate translation. If there are 20,000 songs already on the Joysound service, then I see no reason why the Wii version wouldn't just be able to tap into the currently existing library. It may even use an itunes style interface for all we know (Especially with the Wii pointer, it would be easy to copy it!)

Sule

Maybe it's been answered already but are the gaming sites and magazines getting review copies of these games?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Sule said:
Maybe it's been answered already but are the gaming sites and magazines getting review copies of these games?

Wouldn't it function differently than the downloadable copies, if they recieved disc based versions?

Stumpokapow said:
I mean, I'm not accusing anyone here of mistranslating or lying or anything, I'm accusing Hudson of at least being overly zealous. It just seems astonishingly unlikely that they'd be able to pull this off.
Well, consider that, reportedly, all Hudson would have to do with this deal is handling the distribution of the retail packaging and co-developing the software that's be used for this Wii version ; all the online distribution and publishing being handled Xing, the original Joysound managers.

Sule

vanguardian1 said:
Wouldn't it function differently than the downloadable copies, if they received disc based versions?

I don't think I understand the question exactly, sorry. I'm curious if they are going to let the games be reviewed before release or if they're going to let reviewers buy the game like everyone else for reviews. The games are out in Japan but I don't remember seeing Famitsu reviews for the games, could be wrong though. For some reason I remember seeing a score for the Pokemon game, not sure though. But it seems nobody knows for know.

Stumpokapow said:
Again, yeah right

As much as I love Hudson, I highly doubt that they'll have an Apple-sized launch library, a bigger-than-Harmonix development team on a go-forward basis
Yeah, okay: What you're missing here is that these are not game levels. They're video files that already exist. The only reason these things couldn't just be streaming Flash video is that users are going to expect to be able to adjust the key and tempo of the songs on the fly, but all of these features are already available. This is just delivering the files into the home instead of into a karaoke box.

Not to mention the fact that this is Joysound making it, not Hudson. Hudson is publishing the retail version of the game.

and an interface that enables you to effectively go through 20,000+ songs.

Which isn't actually necessary, because people don't browse through lists of songs at karaoke in Japan. They look them up by entering in the name of the artist or song.

EDIT: Or perhaps the better response would be to point out that this is absolutely nothing new. Sega has a service for the PC that has 30,000 songs on it. Up through 2006 they had a service for Dreamcast with 16,000 songs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kobun Heat said:
Yeah, okay: What you're missing here is that these are not game levels. They're video files that already exist. The only reason these things couldn't just be streaming Flash video is that users are going to expect to be able to adjust the key and tempo of the songs on the fly, but all of these features are already available. This is just delivering the files into the home instead of into a karaoke box.

Not to mention the fact that this is Joysound making it, not Hudson. Hudson is publishing the retail version of the game.

That's certainly a good deal more reasonable, and I'm willing to accept that if there's literally so little work involved then it's probably not outrageous to expect that the numbers are in the right ballmark.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Kobun Heat said:
Can I answer this question later? Right now I'm trying to compare these apples to some oranges.
Well, apples are superior to oranges. Their skin is thinner, their flesh is crispier and sweeter, and they're more nutritious.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Crushed said:
Well, apples are superior to oranges. Their skin is thinner, their flesh is crispier and sweeter, and they're more nutritious.

orange juice is more valuable than apple juice

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Crushed said:

Infidel! Apples are inferior to oranges... oranges are MUCH better tasting!

wsippel

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Joysound sounds great. With no chance of a western release I may have to look into importing a japanese Wii if it indeed delivers.

Does any J-GAFer know how the song selection in Joysound is?
You can search the song database on the Joysound website. Use the form on the left. The first entry in the drop down box is search by song, the second is search by artist I believe. That's the whole database, though. Not all those songs will be available in Joysound Wii it seems - the database lists more than 100,000 songs by nearly 20,000 artists as far as I can tell.

Nuclear Muffin said:
A few more details and a bit of clarification about Joysound Wii.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/863/863040p1.html
Thanks. Although to be frank, I was kind of dubious about the 20,000 songs - which I foolishly believed were their entire database - added right at launch, until....\/\/\/

wsippel said:
You can search the song database on the Joysound website. Use the form on the left. The first entry in the drop down box is search by song, the second is search by artist I believe. That's the whole database, though. Not all those songs will be available in Joysound Wii it seems - the database lists more than 100,000 songs by nearly 20,000 artists as far as I can tell.

Wow, so THAT's their entire database. That's really is a lot of songs right there. But yeah, I doubt that absolutely ALL these songs will end up being available for the Wii version... However, with 20,000 songs at launch and 1,000 songs every month, they can reach a very respectable number, and even, probably satisfy most tastes. Especially if, like an executive reportedly implied at the conference, they basically choose to upload some of the most popular songs from their database.

Stormbringer said:
However, with 20,000 songs at launch and 1,000 songs every month, they can reach a very respectable number, and even, probably satisfy most tastes. Especially if, like an executive reportedly implied at the conference, they basically choose to upload the most popular songs from their database.
Wouldn't be surprised if it follows the 80-20 rule, and eighty percent of all karaoke songs performed are from twenty percent of the total catalog.

wsippel said:
Thanks a lot. Wow, there's a lot of cool stuff on there - damn seems I must really think about importing if even a fraction of that makes it up on the Wii version. Or is there another way to acces the Japanese WiiWare/VC store?

Okay I just downloaded Star Soldier R but I am confused how this game works. Is it just a timed shooter and the aim is too see how many points you can get once the 5mins are up?

has anyone else got this? how do i upload my score to the NWFC leaderboard?

Mreow

kobashi100 said:
Okay I just downloaded Star Soldier R but I am confused how this game works. Is it just a timed shooter and the aim is too see how many points you can get once the 5mins are up?

has anyone else got this? how do i upload my score to the NWFC leaderboard?
Yes, it's just a timed shooter to rack in points. When you've got your scores, just connect to the leaderboards from the game's main menu and it will automatically upload your scores.

swerve

And whenever you get the top score, it offers to register your score online straight away.

I'm ninth in my area of Japan!

Top Bottom