• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiWare now available in Japan.

loosus

Banned
Proven said:
So far, the Wii can store about 9 Wiiware games.
Yeah...if you take practically everything else off. Few (if any) Virtual Console games, saved games, other game data (e.g., images), etc.

I can't see how any of you think that this is even "okay" or "tolerable" if you plan to, you know, actually buy some of these games.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
One might posit the following: the service has games people would like to play, regardless of non-game-playing details like "omg storage limitations." What's more productive? Bitching about it? Or accepting it, operating within the limitations, and enjoying the games?

Certain GAFfers seem to be under the impression that bitching somehow makes life more livable. Do they think that maybe the problems will go AWAY if they continue to mention them?

The Wii is what the Wii is. No amount of complaining will change it. At this point, it becomes less about Nintendo's failings and its fans' loyalty and moreso about how people choose to live their lives. Do they obsess about everything in their lives that does not live up to an immaculate gold standard? Or do they try to enjoy what they have? One might easily construe it as "spin" to speak of the SD-card solution in a favorable light, but it could also just be a simple case of a person caring more about enjoying their neat games, and not really having much interest in raging against an unassailable machine.

Sometimes I don't want to be a critic. Sometimes I just want to be a gamer, and play some cool games. Maybe Nintendo's storage solution is retarded! Maybe it's inconvenient! But I paid for the machine, it has games I want, and I think it's fair to actually treat the glass as half-full rather than half-empty for once!

But hey, that's just me.

There is really no need of HDD at all, they just need to make a very good virtual storage manager. Something like the main channel grid but with all the wiiware abd virtual console games purchased by the user.

Do you want that game to be downloaded? Click on it and wait 30 seconds.
Do you want that game to be deleted? Click on it and wait 2 seconds

Holy crap the waggle version of Dr. Mario is freaking addicting. I just spent the last two hours mindlessly playing it after just starting it up.

Gonna try the ping pong game next. You've made me happy so far Wiiware.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
on his blog kohler says that the stages in star soldier r are pulled from the gamecube version -- is that really the case? these 2/5 minute stages are all pretty similar going back to the pce days, and he could be mistaken. in any case the graphics are different, so it isn't a straight excerpt of the gamecube version. i've got it on psp, but it's in storage somewhere, and i don't really want to dig it out

drohne said:
on his blog kohler says that the stages in star soldier r are pulled from the gamecube version
This is information that I got from

I don't want to say the name of the source

rhymes with "bettenhausen"

If he lied to me, I'll have his badge.

ccbfan

After reading this topic I'm really starting to wonder why the heck Nintendo should even care to improve anything? They really don't need to please the core gamers. The casuals don't know better and the Nintendo fans would buy a 20 dollar 1.4 mb floppy disk (for those who thinks I'm exaggerating here, just think of the 59 Gamecube memory card and the amount of people defending it) and say its enough storage space.

Nintendo fan's loyalties really have no bounds.

Bravo Bravo.

Rlan

Kobun Heat said:
This is information that I got from

I don't want to say the name of the source

rhymes with "bettenhausen"

If he lied to me, I'll have his badge.

Isn't Star Solider GC *JUST* a Remake of the original, and the "R" is just a time attack thing from the Hudson Bus?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
dr3upmushroom said:
To quote Shawn Elliot: Not all Nintendo fans are retarded but all retards are Nintendo fans.

That doesn't explain the Achievement Point weirdos on Xbox Live, though...

zaxor0

Bidermaier said:
There is really no need of HDD at all, they just need to make a very good virtual storage manager. Something like the main channel grid but with all the wiiware abd virtual console games purchased by the user.

Do you want that game to be downloaded? Click on it and wait 30 seconds.
Do you want that game to be deleted? Click on it and wait 2 seconds

I would find this acceptable for all my vc games and in the future wiiware games as long as I had the option of downloading it from my sd or the internet. Also the sd card version I would hope would be rather quick.

MGrant

sevenchaos said:
Dammit. No progressive scan for FFCC?! Boo, I have my Wii hooked up to an old CRT so the games look their best.

Really? Wow. There goes my purchase. I play my games through VGA on my computer monitor, so if it's not 480p, it doesn't display. Ball is dropped, Square-Enix. Ball is dropped.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
ccbfan said:
After reading this topic I'm really starting to wonder why the heck Nintendo should even care to improve anything? They really don't need to please the core gamers. The casuals don't know better and the Nintendo fans would buy a 20 dollar 1.4 mb floppy disk (for those who thinks I'm exaggerating here, just think of the 59 Gamecube memory card and the amount of people defending it) and say its enough storage space.

Nintendo fan's loyalties really have no bounds.

Bravo Bravo.
With WiiWare I think it would be in their best interest to improve it for the Core gamers. How many of these Grandmas, Moms, Pops, GFs etc even know how to hook the Wii up to the internet? THe majority of WiiWare sales will come from people like us.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
sevenchaos said:
Dammit. No progressive scan for FFCC?! Boo, I have my Wii hooked up to an old CRT so the games look their best.
what? wait, where?

Windu said:
With WiiWare I think it would be in their best interest to improve it for the Core gamers. How many of these Grandmas, Moms, Pops, GFs etc even know how to hook the Wii up to the internet? THe majority of WiiWare sales will come from people like us.

I think Nintendo will cater to hardcores, eventually...

They already released pay to play , which will include features not included in their free nintendo wifi connection, like voice chats...

Once they have the casual grabbed by the nuts they will move on for the hardcore

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the nice thing about wiiware is that they can inherently update the game with fixes... ahem FFCC 480p ahem.

please. hopefully.

WindyMan

I tried out the free Dr. Mario demo that someone else on our staff sent me. This is a pretty cool little demo that will let you play online against anyone you've added to your Dr. Mario friends list (with friend codes, obviously). You can only play the game online with friends, as there is no single player or offline modes. I grabbed a video of the demo obtainment process, viewable here:

http://nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15614

I underestimated how enjoyable this game would be with online play. I still don't think I'm going to buy it, but I'm at least happy that Nintendo found the perfect distribution method for Dr. Mario instead of completely ripping us off with another full-priced game.

Neomoto

borghe said:
the nice thing about wiiware is that they can inherently update the game with fixes... ahem FFCC 480p ahem.

please. hopefully.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they charge for 480p through Pay 2 Play.

Pokemon Ranch play-through on NicoNico :

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2782484

Alright, this app looks a little bit cooler than I imagined :lol. Reminds me slightly of Animal Crossing, especially with the nice, relaxing tunes and the overloading cuteness. I'm not into Pokemon at all (at least not since a while now) but if I was, I would probably grab this up.

webrunner

Tathanen said:
One might posit the following: the service has games people would like to play, regardless of non-game-playing details like "omg storage limitations." What's more productive? Bitching about it? Or accepting it, operating within the limitations, and enjoying the games?

Certain GAFfers seem to be under the impression that bitching somehow makes life more livable. Do they think that maybe the problems will go AWAY if they continue to mention them?

The Wii is what the Wii is. No amount of complaining will change it. At this point, it becomes less about Nintendo's failings and its fans' loyalty and moreso about how people choose to live their lives. Do they obsess about everything in their lives that does not live up to an immaculate gold standard? Or do they try to enjoy what they have? One might easily construe it as "spin" to speak of the SD-card solution in a favorable light, but it could also just be a simple case of a person caring more about enjoying their neat games, and not really having much interest in raging against an unassailable machine.

Sometimes I don't want to be a critic. Sometimes I just want to be a gamer, and play some cool games. Maybe Nintendo's storage solution is retarded! Maybe it's inconvenient! But I paid for the machine, it has games I want, and I think it's fair to actually treat the glass as half-full rather than half-empty for once!

But hey, that's just me.

If there is enough bitching, then people speaking directly to the faces of Nintendo (say, when interviewing Reggie, etc) start asking "With the advent of wiiware, it's underlying the issue some people are having with storage space - some games take up huge percentages. Just the launch titles take up almost all of a Wii's full space. It is possible to copy stuff back and forth from SD Cards, but it's cumbersome and removes the easy accessibility the Wii is known for. Is there a storage solution in the works? Or even the ability to launch games off of your SD card? Or even the ability to see your SD channels without going into the settings, and copying them to wii system memory as you launch them?"

Obviously they're going to get Fridge answers most of the time, but the more Nintendo gets asked, the more they're going to say to themselves, hey, maybe we SHOULD figure out something to do about this.

Also, Mojipittan Wifi Match :

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2782479

I'm actually seeing this crosswords-puzzle-game in action for the first time, and I must say that the concept, as simple as it seems, looks pretty damn interesting. I particularly like this "Versus" twist. And I can already see how this game could end up being pretty damn addictive... So really that's unfortunate that, not being Japanese-fluent, I won't be able to try this out...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I don't know why, but this WiiWare service seems to me only a way to sell small, low budget games.

Not interested.

Well what did you expect? Large high budget games for $10? That's the purpose of a downloadable service for ANY console: bringing smaller games not possible in retail.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I don't know why, but this WiiWare service seems to me only a way to sell small, low budget games.

Not interested.

as opposed to really huge big budget blockbusters?

...really?

chubigans said:
Well what did you expect? Large high budget games for $10? That's the purpose of a downloadable service for ANY console: bringing smaller games not possible in retail.

I would prefer that Nintendo just stop to waste resources in order to make more big games. I think we have enough small, budget games at retailer on Wii.

The only positive thing that this service can bring is to low the number of trash that comes out regulary from small developers.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I would prefer that Nintendo just stop to waste resources in order to make more big games. I think we have enough small, budget games at retailer on Wii.

The only positive thing that this service can bring is to low the number of trash that comes out regulary from small developers.
Uh, Nintendo isn't developing the majority of these games. And of the ones they are, I doubt this is taking up much of their overall development capacity.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GoldenEye 007 said:
Uh, Nintendo isn't developing the majority of these games. And of the ones they are, I doubt this is taking up much of their overall development capacity.

Nintendo, in fact, has not developed a single game for WiiWare yet.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ beat me

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

i suppose you missed the whole thing about how nintendo's teams aren't working on wiiware AT ALL?

Vinci

Danish
Seems to happen around here a lot: People have this strange impression that Nintendo is, like, 10 guys in a garage. Immensely talented guys, yes, but still only 10 guys and how could they possibly work on so many games at once?

Even if they were developing games for WiiWare, I'm fairly certain Nintendo can do it and not fuck with what makes them the most money.

PantherLotus said:
as opposed to really huge big budget blockbusters?

...really?

I know what this service is about. I just regret that these teams could be used to make more ambitious projects then these...games. I'm sure Nintendo will earn lots of money. I simply prefer more serious big games.

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but after almost 2 years, I would say that outside for Nintendo's games, the Wii is not really the console for who like games since the NES-SNES era, where the consoles hadn't only Mario, Zelda or Metroid.

I really regret these times. Wii made Nintendo rich, sure. But outside the only big Nintendo's productions, is a disappointment.

And the X360 and PS3 aren't really that great too. X360 is too FPS oriented. PS3 lacks big games, too expensive, ....

The SNES and PS2 generations were the best in my opinion. This generation by far the worst of last 10 years, until now. Many, many disappointments.

Bah. The generation has only started and things can always change again. It was just a random impression guys. WiiWare is only the n-th thing that doens't interest me in this generation.

Bah. Don't take my post too seriously. I know that there are still great memorable games like Galaxy or Smash or Bioshock. It's not the lack of big games that disappoint me. It's the industry in his complex that is giving me a bad impression. Maybe because the industry itself is at a turn-around and the direction that will take is not at all clear.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I know what this service is about. I just regret that these teams could be used to make more ambitious projects then these...games. I'm sure Nintendo will earn lots of money. I simply prefer more serious big games.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense still, as many of the teams exist solely to create small adventures...that's what they excel at. I know a lot of devs that are within their abilities to create some really awesome small games, but probably couldn't pull off a big budget adventure. There both totally different experiences.

It sounds like you need to buy a PS2 if you want more adventure games. One gamer cannot live on a single console alone (especially the Wii at this stage).

Okay. After playing the three WiiWare games I've had bought since it's release (Dr. Mario, Ping Pong, and Star Soldier R), Dr. Mario and the Ping Pong game are without a doubt totally worth the money.

With Dr. Mario, you still have the regular nostalgia of the original game but the real kicker is the Wii-mote enabled version. Basically you hold, flip, and control the pills with your Wiimote. It sounds rather simplistic but that in itself makes the game so strangely addicting. I seriously haven't been lost in a puzzle game for the longest but Dr Mario does it for me. It gets even crazier when you have a second, third or fourth player just drop in for some wacky co-op action. It's just too much fun pulling off combos and messing up at the same time.

Okiraku Ping Pong is everything the Wii Play version can't be, and that's fun. It's technically Wii Tennis on a ping pong table animu style and that's pretty much it. I still can't get the super move to work, but the Wiimote only action is very responsive. Don't expect too many technical aspects to fall into this game, but it for $5, Ping Pong performs an excellent job.

And say what you want about SSR, but I can't get enough of the button mashing game. I've hit 11.9 presses in 1 sec. I want to at least get 15 before I call it quits.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mojipittan rocks, and it's a lot of game for the price.

Can't really get into Dr. Mario, but I was never able to, really.

sp0rsk said:
Mojipittan rocks, and it's a lot of game for the price.

Can't really get into Dr. Mario, but I was never able to, really.
I was never a huge Dr. Mario fan, but the Virus Buster version really got me hooked. It sucks you can't play that online, at least I don't think so.

Hudson unveil some of their Japanese Wiiware line-up

-Star Soldier R (Already out)

-Joysound

-Bomberman (June) [up to 8 players Wifi]

-Blue Oasis : Sakana no Iyashi Kuuken(2008) [aka Hudfishes. Will apparently use the Wifi Connection]

-Tetris (July) [With online battles, etc]

-Alien Crush ( August) [yes, it's a sequel. There will be online learderboards]

Including these, they have more than 10 Wiiware titles in development in total. Also, it seems like the Bomberman game that's been revealed not so long ago IS indeed a Wiiware game and not a retail one. [EDIT] Well, seems like this isn't the case after all. Explanation here.

Source : inside-games.jp

Top Bottom