• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Arms |OT| - Now available on PS4/PS5

Doom85

Tbh Ashley might be the only JRPG protag with tangible proof of not being a virgin. Dude is unique.

I mean, it was pretty clear in Final Fantasy 7 Cloud and Tifa slept together in a scene approaching near the end of the game. The Ultimania book has interviews making it clear this is what the writers intended to convey (originally they were going to make it even more obvious).

Also, Persona protagonists. Unless you go out of your way to have them turn down a lot of romance in the Social Links, they end the game VERY non-virgin.

And of course, Fire Emblem Awakening had freaking time travel to bring in a ton of the future children of the protagonists and quite a few party members.

GenericUser

If you consider playing this and haven't played any other PS1 JRPGs, I recommend playing some of them as wild arms honestly is not the best one available.

I recommend FF7 - 9, Legend of Dragoon, Breath of Fire Series, Suikoden (especially 2), Koudelka, Xenogears or Chrono Cross. I think they all are better then Wild Arms.

fart town usa

Gold Member
If you consider playing this and haven't played any other PS1 JRPGs, I recommend playing some of them as wild arms honestly is not the best one available.

I recommend FF7 - 9, Legend of Dragoon, Breath of Fire Series, Suikoden (especially 2), Koudelka, Xenogears or Chrono Cross. I think they all are better then Wild Arms.
Depends really.

Wild Arms is by no means the best JRPG that released on the PSX but it's definitely one of them. The game is absolutely solid for what it is. It's like people who prefer Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy. Sometimes basic RPG mechanics are more appealing.

I like all the games you listed but there's simply too much stuff to do. I can certainly appreciate deep JRPG systems but they don't really appeal to me like they used to.

Shifty1897

Such a no-brainer but I can't think of another turn-based JRPG from that era (or at all really) that incorporates such basic puzzles and variety of tools, it really adds to the overall gameplay.
So it's a few years older but Lufia 2 on the SNES also has tool puzzles in dungeons and it's glorious.

Also the Golden Sun GBA games have this as well. Great game mechanic that needs to be in more JRPG's.

AlexxKidd

Wild Arms is a different type of vibe to most games you just mentioned in that while it is a PS1 RPG, it plays exactly like an SNES one (save for 3D battles). Don't play Wild Arms if you're looking for FF7 and Xenogears (really?), play Wild Arms if you're looking for Lufia, Lunar, Breath of Fire II aka 16-bit RPG vibes.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
So it's a few years older but Lufia 2 on the SNES also has tool puzzles in dungeons and it's glorious.

Also the Golden Sun GBA games have this as well. Great game mechanic that needs to be in more JRPG's.
Nice, I'm definitely familiar with the Lufia name but never played them before. I'll have to check it out.

Golden Sun is great.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Screen saver feature
GSjMALI.gif

One of the best feeling dashes I've ever experienced.
n1EfS5p.gif

Fluid 3D battles.
VMbqWbN.gif

fart town usa

Gold Member

Made it into the Photosphere. What a great tune.

Gamefaqs review from 1999 - 9/10
"The battle graphics are a mess though...But, it didn't turn ME away, unlike you spoiled newbies who think they are veterans when you've only played FF7. Ugh."

Original Gamestop Review from 1997 - 8.6/10
"After over ten years of playing Zelda or Dragon Warrior clones, the average gamer requires something more than the standard wander, kill, wander, solve puzzle, wander game..."

fart town usa

Gold Member
Beat the game. Roughly 28 hours, level 57 or so. Did about 90% of the optional stuff too. Still need to do The Abyss (hidden dungeon), and some other optional boss.

Great game, thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Definitely check it out if you need a pretty casual old-school JRPG to play.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Heard this on satellite radio and noticed Wild Arms similarities bump.

Predates The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly too by a few years. Good stuff.

Top Bottom