• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiLD cancelled, according to Jeff Grub

Kilau

Imagine working on something for SIX YEARS and then have it end up in the dumpster.
Sounds like my first serious relationship.

Happy Hour Reaction GIF

demonstr8

Got shelved around half a decade ago despite it reportedly being in a near-complete state. Panta Rhei, it's game engine, got heavily reworked and became the foundation for Capcom's RE Engine.
It had a thorough showing where it looked near complete and pretty great at one of the TGSs about 5 years or so ago give or take. It's a shame it didn't make it into consumers hands.

reksveks

game was in dev for 6 years and last we heard about it was what 2 - 3 years ago? no need for that clown to tell us it's cancelled
Was asked in the previous episode so that's why he said it in this one.

Also for the xbox fridge fans, expect a price point of 200 usd

yurinka

Heh, shutting down a whole studio is somehow more critical than cancelling a game. And yet…
Yes, but a studio owned by Sony is almost always hiring because they have no issues with money.

Wild Sheep instead is a relatively small indie studio, a type of studio who typically is short of budget specially when they have been developing a game for 6 years. So if they are hiring means they are fine and that need some extra help for the final push. I highly doubt that if after 6 years they would have cancelled it they would have been hiring people. Pretty likely they would be fucked up in terms of money so would try to release a shorter game with the team they already have to compensate a bit.

Last edited:
Rumour has it that development was going fine until John from the Art department suggested that they all watch Black Myth: Wukong gameplay during their lunch break.

Skull and bones, beyond good and evil 2 all gone. And they gonna announce the new splinter cell.. only to cancel the day after. Because fuck your feelings.

MrS

Banned
Good. Game looked like absolute fucking garbage. Put it on the list with Scalebound as games we should be happy we never got.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Beyond good and evil 2 is next i imagine. Or it will lose all the cool open galaxy/planet stuff they were aiming for and be another boring ubisoft open world slog

trikster40

And this is why games really shouldn’t even be announced/revealed until 3-6 months before release. We can all count tons of promising games that never saw the light of day.

Starcraft Ghost, Agent, 8 Days, Thrill Kill, Silent Hills, Star Wars 1313, Scalebound, Prey 2, Fable Legends….just add Wild to the list.

I always wonder how much money has been spent when games are cancelled after this long in development. 10s of millions?
Still not as much as The Last Guardian. If WiLD got cancelled Sony took a fat L, even though I support the decision. Even Guerrilla Games got involved to fix the game. Shesh.

yurinka

So a month ago this game was explicitly being hired for …..

…. but now Jeff Grubb says it’s cancelled and we should take that as gospel?
According to Grub it was cancelled when Ancel left last year. But the studio did open job positions that specifically mentioned were to work on Wild this February, and did open a few job positions more last month as mentioned in the link you shared.

So Jeff Grubb is lying again.

Beyond good and evil 2 is next i imagine. Or it will lose all the cool open galaxy/planet stuff they were aiming for and be another boring ubisoft open world slog
Ubisoft won't cancel BGE2, they invested too much money on it. I bet they will reduce its scope and will turn it into a more traditional and realistic game to ship it when possible even if it isn't as ambitious as originally planned.

Last edited:
did they even ever start actual development of this game cause i dont remember seeing anything about it. it never existed just like agent.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don't understand. Seriously! After 6 years, they should've just released it broken or incomplete. It can't be worse than The Last Guardian or The Order.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Okay, what are we getting instead?

I just feel like teh exclusive roster for PlayStation just gets thinner and thinner.
Ikr

This Jim Ryan regime havent delivered anything new when it comes to new ip

Cancelling Wild doesnt help the cause

Was genuinely excited for this game

I wouldn't be surprised if its valid to be honest. Ancel has abandoned the ship known as Ubisoft. Even if it isn't I'd imagine it would only be allowed to go through as some F2P/GAAS game like Ubisoft has declared its future to be going on forward.

Last edited:

Warablo

The game looked way too ambitious. They talked how you could like change and play as any character/creature in the world or something like that.

Allandor

I always wonder how much money has been spent when games are cancelled after this long in development. 10s of millions?
50% of all software projects get cancelled.

But developed parts might be reused in other projects. So it is not always like an investment is useless if a project is cancelled. Even if it is only that developers learned something.

hemo memo

Gold Member
50% of all software projects get cancelled.

But developed parts might be reused in other projects. So it is not always like an investment is useless if a project is cancelled. Even if it is only that developers learned something.
They don’t get canceled after 6 years.

Wild and Crackdown 3 were two games I thought would end up vaporware, but we did get one of those in the end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom