• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Hearts |OT| Kemeno Hunter World

GymWolf

EA play 10 hour trial 😁
Do i need to pay like a month of ea pass or some shit? Or i just need to have origins store in my pc?

Tbh i never liked demo for hunting games, i need a properly paced introduction to all the aspects of the game to really enjoy the experience.

anthony2690

Banned
Do i need to pay like a month of ea pass or some shit? Or i just need to have origins store in my pc?

Tbh i never liked demo for hunting games, i need a properly paced introduction to all the aspects of the game to really enjoy the experience.
It's just 10 hours playtime, you can do the tutorial, what is less than stellar, but then you can roam the first area ten hours and hunt three different monsters & get a feel for the mechanics and how the game plays.

GymWolf

It's just 10 hours playtime, you can do the tutorial, what is less than stellar, but then you can roam the first area ten hours and hunt three different monsters & get a feel for the mechanics and how the game plays.
So i don't need to pay any ea bullshit fee?

Neat.

I already know that i'm gonna try like 15 min and then just create a new chara in mhw:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Dommel

Neat.

I already know that i'm gonna try like 15 min and then just create a new chara in mhw:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

You won't, Wild Hearts is a great MH clone with the building adding a real fun mechanic to set it apart from MH.

EekTheKat

One of the tutorial area didn't give me Monster Hunter vibes - but briefly felt like Dark Souls.

The bosses in Monster Hunter all have some pretty big tells that telegraph what they're going to do, while you also have some weapons that leave you open if you commit to an attack at the wrong time. The first boss at least feels like it doesn't play by that mechanic at all.

The building mechanic hasn't clicked with me yet - I keep expecting an anthropomorphic cat to pop out of the ground to build something while I'm busy fighting. Fights feel oddly lonely without a talking cat speaking in puns at my side.

I'll dig more into it, but between this, Hogwarts, and my PS5 run of MH:Rise I'll be going back and forth a lot.

anthony2690

Banned
I hate building mechanics of any sort:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Can you play proficently without using them at all?
I said the exact same thing...

But using them to make shortcuts round the map, or a spring board across a gap, or zipwire up a tall mountain etc or even in attacks (can ignore if you want)

It's surprisingly good, and other players may have put building stuff elsewhere, when you visit their worlds to hunt.

It's was the one thing I was most worried about and thought I wouldn't like, but it's great.

Also no sharpening weapons I don't miss that at all. (Then again it looked silly on MH on some weapons, why is my hunter sharpening the weapon handle)

No long animations for gathering resources.

It's got a lot of stuff I like more than MH, to my surprise.

I think the combat might even be more enjoyable too

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned

Neat.

Sorry you do need a month or ea play, it's £3.99 last I check, but I have game pass ultimate so I have never thought about it solo, as it just comes with something I already pay for (sorry for confusion)

Last edited:

GymWolf

I said the exact same thing...

But using them to make shortcuts round the map, or a spring board across a gap, or zipwire up a tall mountain etc or even in attacks (can ignore if you want)

It's surprisingly good, and other players may have put building stuff elsewhere, when you visit their worlds to hunt.

It's was the one thing I was most worried about and thought I wouldn't like, but it's great.

Also no sharpening weapons I don't miss that at all. (Then again it looked silly on MH on some weapons, why is my hunter sharpening the weapon handle)

No long animations for gathering resources.

It's got a lot of stuff I like more than MH, to my surprise.

I think the combat might even be more enjoyable too
I don't wanna sound like an old men yelling at building mechanics, but i really don't give a damn about any of that, sorry.

I hated building stuff in death stranding and that was a similar approach (kinda)

Combat from the videos seems more arcadey, less deep and weighty than mhw, all stuff that i don't like.

If you played mhw, can you tell if the characters are as weighty or more like rise?

Freeman76

Damn, people werent joking about the visuals on this game. Awful optimisation, the HDR implementation is tragic as well. I hope they patch it because the game seems decent but I find it hard to get into because of how shit it looks

anthony2690

Banned
I don't wanna sound like an old men yelling at building mechanics, but i really don't give a damn about any of that, sorry.

I hated building stuff in death stranding and that was a similar approach (kinda)

Combat from the videos seems more arcadey, less deep and weighty than mhw, all stuff that i don't like.

If you played mhw, can you tell if the characters are as weighty or more like rise?
I haven't played world since I was done with Iceborne, I think characters feel weighty, but couldn't say more or less without playing it again.

But I'd have to boot up mhw again and compare again.

Wonder if mhw is 60fps on series X.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Damn, people werent joking about the visuals on this game. Awful optimisation, the HDR implementation is tragic as well. I hope they patch it because the game seems decent but I find it hard to get into because of how shit it looks
HDR is completely broken, disabled on series X improved the look alot. Game has its moments visually.

dorkimoe

I hate building mechanics too. And I just started death stranding and was enjoying it and now you’ve told me there’s building! Noooo

ungalo

The building mechanic and especially when it comes to level design ideas is the biggest strenght of this game. And it stays accessible, in or out of combat, it's really nothing overly complex or something that breaks pacing i think.

Still, to me the monsters are just not as fun to hunt as the ones from Monster Hunter. The weapons can be satisfying to use but quickly redundant and the way the monsters work with patterns that are locked on you is the easy option from the devs. The positioning is not very demanding even though it still matters but it's more about last second dodges even in the very beginning. It feels less precise and believable than MH and at the same time more conventional.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I hate building mechanics too. And I just started death stranding and was enjoying it and now you’ve told me there’s building! Noooo
I literally avoided any of that and just used the power\speed legs lv3 to do all the deliveries.

I fucking hated the driving aswell so on foot was the only chance.

Esca

The building in this game is great. It's quick to do able had huge impacts on fighting and exploring/ getting around

Esca

In really enjoying the game so far. Been using the bow, really like it's mechanics. The area are very large and being able to set up short cuts, tents, and other things adds a lot. No more running around forever following monster that run in the fight. Just quick travel to a camp close to it or using the vine launcher to cross areas and have your own travel network.

The karkurai or whatever the building things are are great in battle to. As offensive and defense and have dramatic effects that benefit you.
I'm enjoying this more than monster hunter, it's a very nice breath of fresh air for the genre

Pelta88

In really enjoying the game so far. Been using the bow, really like it's mechanics. The area are very large and being able to set up short cuts, tents, and other things adds a lot. No more running around forever following monster that run in the fight. Just quick travel to a camp close to it or using the vine launcher to cross areas and have your own travel network.

The karkurai or whatever the building things are are great in battle to. As offensive and defense and have dramatic effects that benefit you.
I'm enjoying this more than monster hunter, it's a very nice breath of fresh air for the genre

Man... I keep hearing this.

I'm going to have a ton of catching up to do.

Last edited:

GymWolf

After watching all the weapons guide from cowboy and rurikhan i must say that the weapons seems one of the things they got right, i'm actually thinking about doing a month of ea pass to play this thing.

Maybe after a couple of patches to fix the shitty performances i'm gonna try it.

Hopefully people is gonna continue to play this thing for a long time like they do with mh games.

The hammer seems more fun in mh tho.

Last edited:

Coconutt

Took a look at EA Play cause I was interested in this game and other stuff EA is coming out with this year. Who is this for? I thought you would be able to get day 1 releases for their games but all you get is a lousy discount. I checked their library of available games, super small and disappointing choices. Guess I'll wait for a price drop on Wild Hearts.

Edit: Was looking at the PlayStation version which only has the Basic EA Play. On PC you can get EA Play Pro which does include new games.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I love World, I like Rise, so far I'm loving WH too. Though at this stage the design of the monsters I've seen is kinda meh.
Yeah, monster design sucks asses from what i saw.

Some are good but just not on mh level.

Are movements and weight more like world or more like rise?

Same for weapons impacts, rise felt much worse compared to world.

Last edited:

TheKratos

Yeah, monster design sucks asses from what i saw.

Some are good but just not on mh level.

Are movements and weight more like world or more like rise?

Same for weapons impacts, rise felt much worse compared to world.

Yeah the monster design is simply large ass mutated animals. I'm only at start of chapter 2 but so far it's mostly giant rodents and a few birds lol.

Movement/weight is floaty kinda so I guess more like Rise but tbh I don't see much between World and Rise for this aspect.

Weapon impact definitely not on same level as World but to be fair I only used the Nodashi (great sword).

Pelta88

I had the strangest encounter. I fought the "chicken monster" and it was incredibly gorgeous. Literally stunning. Breathtakingly beautiful.

But this only lasted for about 10 minutes. The world popped into beta development mode. I can see the vision of the developers, I remember MHW started out in need of several fixes. I just hope the devs release the necessary patches asap.

GymWolf

I'm trying the 10 hours try on pc, the game seems good but holy shit the performance are fucking horrible.

This thing make look gotham knights like a superb port.

This shit is not even stable at 1440p (while having one of the worse graphic i saw in years) and it gets even worse in multyplayer.

How the fuck can you release a game that require precise inputs and movements in these conditions?

Do you people have any hints on how to improve performances?

GymWolf

I had the strangest encounter. I fought the "chicken monster" and it was incredibly gorgeous. Literally stunning. Breathtakingly beautiful.

But this only lasted for about 10 minutes. The world popped into beta development mode. I can see the vision of the developers, I remember MHW started out in need of several fixes. I just hope the devs release the necessary patches asap.
Mhw was in much better condition than this thing performance wise, not even close.

Coconutt

This game dropped off the radar with the quickness, hope they can get their stuff together and make the game run properly.

GymWolf

This game dropped off the radar with the quickness, hope they can get their stuff together and make the game run properly.
Yeah, i found more people playing mhw than this game when i searched from coops.

Performance are too much dog shit for how the game looks.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm trying the 10 hours try on pc, the game seems good but holy shit the performance are fucking horrible.

This thing make look gotham knights like a superb port.

This shit is not even stable at 1440p (while having one of the worse graphic i saw in years) and it gets even worse in multyplayer.

How the fuck can you release a game that require precise inputs and movements in these conditions?

Do you people have any hints on how to improve performances?
Something to do with changing audio, I posted about it prior.

I'm about 11 hours into the game now, as I finished HWL & really enjoying myself, think I'm about to start chapter 2, performance is very smooth on consoles with update 1.5 (i also use vrr)

I think Tecmo Koei games oddly struggle horrifically on pc, as ni oh and wo long have performance issues too :/

vzRT3j6.jpg

GymWolf

Something to do with changing audio, I posted about it prior.

I'm about 11 hours into the game now, as I finished HWL & really enjoying myself, think I'm about to start chapter 2, performance is very smooth on consoles with update 1.5 (i also use vrr)

I think Tecmo Koei games oddly struggle horrifically on pc, as ni oh and wo long have performance issues too :/

vzRT3j6.jpg
I readed about that fix but i thought it was bullshit (how is the audio making the game perform like absolute shit).

Those comments are old, they probably fixed that with the recent patch 1.05 but i'm gonna try anyway, thanks.

anthony2690

Banned
I readed about that fix but i thought it was bullshit (how is the audio making the game perform like absolute shit).

Those comments are old, they probably fixed that with the recent patch 1.05 but i'm gonna try anyway, thanks.
Yoshichan Yoshichan said it made a difference for him when I posted it prior.

I agree it sounds crazy, but I also saw on Reddit people saying they read a reviewer saying this, tried it out and it made a difference. 🤷‍♂️

Schmendrick

Finally came around to try it via GP and .....holy balls.
I thought Koei Tecmo had dropped the ball with the tech of Wo Long, but Wild Hearts is in its very own league of technological incompetence.
The graphics look worse than MH:Ryse at times thanks to that vaseline-smear effect that made it impossible for me to simply get crisp edges. The popin is also omnipresent and a lot of textures and assets look like they are straight out of the ps3 era.... and after all that it still has worse framedrops than Cyberpunk with RT on psycho on my 3080.....
I´m a MH addict...and yet this game isn`t worth a second look imho.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Finally came around to try it via GP and .....holy balls.
I thought Koei Tecmo had dropped the ball with the tech of Wo Long, but Wild Hearts is in its very own league of technological incompetence.
The graphics look worse than MH:Ryse thanks to that vaseline-smear effect that made it impossible for me to simply get crisp edges, the popin is also omnipresent and a lot of textures and assets look like they are straight out of the ps3 era.... and after all that it still has worse framedrops than Cyberpunk with RT on psycho on my 3080.....
I´m a MH addict...and yet this game isn`t worth a second look imho.
I think the graphic overall look better tham rise but yeah, the iq is trash compared to rise that is at least super clean.

Performance are absolute dog shit, yeah.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Details on today's update:
This content update also includes an ample amount of adjustments and fixes that the team has been working extremely hard on to improve the game and we wanted to take a moment to highlight those efforts. To callout just three of these fixes/improvements:

• Players now can look at their full list of skills equipped during armor creation, weapon creation, and armor modification.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented players from receiving rewards after successfully hunting certain giant kemono.
  • Karakuri that can contain food, such as Ingredients Chest and Drying Rack placed in advance, will be removed to ensure that they are not destroyed during the battle with Amaterasu in Minato.
This, of course, isn’t the end, as we’re dedicated to Wild Hearts and we’ll be consistently working on making the gameplay experience better throughout this year for all our players to enjoy the game. Your feedback is invaluable so please continue to share your thoughts with us.
Full Patch notes of all the fixes are here: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/wild-hearts/wild-hearts/news/wild-hearts-patch-march-10-2023

Neolombax

Just downloaded the demo, it wont start. It crashes everytime the game is trying to load. That cannot be a good sign. Lol.

Edit: got it to work by redownloading the trial. The game is fantastic really. But the performance is really rough. I really prefer this over Monster Hunter Rise but man I just cannot get over that framerate drops and low quality textures.

Last edited:

Dunkelgrau

Just downloaded the demo, it wont start. It crashes everytime the game is trying to load. That cannot be a good sign. Lol.
Had the same problem. Solution: You have to download the trail completely.

Finished the demo today: Amazing game. I will probably buy it soon. There are a few problems with the graphics on PS5, but I'm okay with that.

Edit: Bought it yesterday night. 😅

Last edited:
Top Bottom