• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Hunt GOG + Steam sales breakdown (1.3M total)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
CDPR issued a statement. Credit to ScepticMatt.

http://www.gog.com/news/news_gog_galaxy_home_to_over_half_of_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_pc_gamers

PC sales (thread worthy?)

GOG: 693k (gog)

Steam: 572k (steamspy)

So PC sales are just above 30% of the total

(not counting Origin/uPlay sales, which I'm guessing are negligible)

1oruc5.jpg

PC sales = ~1.3 million (of ~4.0 million total)

dakun

they must be happy to have such an amazing multiplattform launch.. just further proves the point that it's really the best way to go if you have the resources.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Wow, nice numbers for all platforms.

Good job CDPR.

(I edited my post so people stop thinking
that I'm downplaying pc sales)

me0wish

I'm sure this includes the free copies given away with nvidia cards, still, I'm glad its doing good, Steam needs some competition.

SlickVic

Hmm, so is the GOG total including physical copies that were redeemed on GOG and 3rd party sellers who were selling GOG codes at a sizable discount before release like GMG and Nuuvem? If so, not too surprising to see it on top.

Good figures- I wonder if the non-GOG Galaxy figures also include games installed without using GOG Galaxy, as well as Steam, uPlay and Origin? Or is that just all installs from GOG itself?

MUnited83

For you.
Should be noted that it still sold better on Steam than directly on GOG. GOG keys are what's sold by every retailer but Steam. That plus the physical versions being redeemableon GOG and the Nvidia promo that also gives a GOG key.

Grief.exe

?? I really don't understand what's wrong with my statement.

Maybe I'm dumb =)

30% PC would imply there was an almost even split between the three platforms. Though empirical evidence would show the PS4's portion being higher.

Alternatively, the majority of the PC platforms sales will be on the back end, while console sales almost always jump off a cliff after the first week or two. The fact that the PC essentially matched the consoles from day one is quite impressive.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Amazon and other third party sellers were only selling GOG keys and the disc come with a GoG key, so I see how GOG beat Steam on this.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Amazon and other third party sellers where only selling GOG keys and the disc come with a GoG key, so I see how GOG beat Steam on this.
Did they count the GOG keys that came with videocards?

Mrbob

Look at the GOG split. I bought my copy on Steam hoping to be able to get a GoG code sometime in the future.

So I'm guessing overall the numbers are PS4 > PC >>>XB1.

Did they count the GOG keys that came with videocards?

Whatever has been activated. No different than console bundles throwing the game in for free.

Yurikerr

30% PC would imply there was an almost even split between the three platforms. Though empirical evidence would show the PS4's portion being higher.

Alternatively, the majority of the PC platforms sales will be on the back end, while console sales almost always jump off a cliff after the first week or two. The fact that the PC essentially matched the consoles from day one is quite impressive.

Yes, but what's wrong with what I said?

This data shows that of the 4 million copies sold roughly 70% were on consoles. And that's a big percentage.

Even more surprising because the series was always associated with pc.

I didn't imply that the pc sales were bad, I just expressed amusement with the consoles ratio.

Mrbob

So much for PC selling only 700.000 or whatever some 'experts' were predicting here after the initial numbers.

I think they were just tracking the Steam numbers through Steamspy.

This data shows that of the 4 million copies sold roughly 70% were on consoles. And that's a big percentage.

If you are going to bundle the PS4 and XB1 together you might as well throw the PC in there too. PS4 is taking up a significant part of the console percentage. I can see why Sony let CD Projekt push the 1.04 patch through early.

SlickVic

Amazon and other third party sellers where only selling GOG keys and the disc come with a GoG key, so I see how GOG beat Steam on this.

Yeah, reading the press release, I'm not seeing anything that says all 693k of these copies activated on GOG were all bought on GOG. The game isn't Steamworks, places like GMG and Nuuvem were selling GOG keys for like $30-$35 before release (among other sources), so if they're clumping all these together and saying 693k copies are activated on GOG, no real shock that's higher than the number on Steam (where all copies had to be bought directly from Steam to activate there).

Anno

I mean, this is GoGs home turf, so it's not surprising to see these numbers. Great sales all around though, and I imagine they'll keep on going up at a solid clip. Anything that can force some more competition towards Valve is probably good for PC games.

Yurikerr

Maybe people are just tired of folks like you who lump together 2 different physical platforms only when it suits them.

Man....
Did I said anything wrong? Is there any rule that i broke?

Why are people jumping on me?

I just expressed surprise with the sales breakdown. For me Witcher was a more pc focused game, just like let's say Diablo.

There's no consoles vs pc mentality on my post

Vibranium

Banned
I wish CDPR would sell Steam codes through retailers as well but then GOG numbers wouldn't be high I guess. I just like having choice.

Top Bottom