• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will cyberpunk psn removal have a ripple affect across the industry? Or will it just fizzle out.

Hard to say. This isn’t the first time this has happened, but a lot of parties seem to be particularly interested in making an example of CP2077 no matter how hypocritical it may seem. I still have the firm belief that everyone will magically forget all of this once the game is patched completely and new content is out. That’s just how it works in this industry works. Everyone either has short term memory, or selective memory.

Edit: If this does send a ripple through the industry, I just hope that it’s consistent with all games, and not just the big ones that everyone’s hyped for. The games that are released in borderline broken condition far outweigh the games that aren’t. And it’s been that way for a long time. A lot of games that are released in a “complete package” are usually missing features to be added in later. An example would be TLOUII with no multiplayer mode.

Last edited:
It only got removed, because CDPR told buyers to ak for refund, otherwise it's not going to happened I believe. Also no game probably ever got relased (well Batman City did on PC got removed for similar reasons) in such state, that it was really unplayable...

This.

Had CDPR discussed with Sony prior to this knee-jerk action, they probably would have come to an agreement and not had to pull the game from the store.

I can appreciate the developer wanting to protect the interests of customers, while owning up to the fact that you produced a game that's nigh on unplayable on console. But they need to go through the appropriate channels to facilitate their intention to offer their customers refunds before going straight to the customer and making promises; especially when the process of obtaining refunds involves a third party storefront whom you've come to no prior agreement with regarding your intentions... noble as they are.

EDMIX

This.

Had CDPR discussed with Sony prior to this knee-jerk action, they probably would have come to an agreement and not had to pull the game from the store.

I can appreciate the developer wanting to protect the interests of customers, while owning up to the fact that you produced a game that's nigh on unplayable on console. But they need to go through the appropriate channels to facilitate their intention to offer their customers refunds before going straight to the customer and making promises; especially when the process of obtaining refunds involves a third party storefront whom you've come to no prior agreement with regarding your intentions... noble as they are.

Maybe......maybe not.

They are admitting something is wrong with their game, to the point of mass refunds. They can say what ever they want to Sony beforehand and it might have still resulted in Sony removing the game from PSN. They admitted to having a broken game, Sony is free to remove this game based on its brokenness. Why should they have their customer service department work overtime to continue refund a game the developer themselves are confirming has problems that they are still working to fix?

So the correct call was to remove it.

Refund.

FIX THE FUCKING GAME and then come back to recertify.

Maybe......maybe not.

They are admitting something is wrong with their game, to the point of mass refunds. They can say what ever they want to Sony beforehand and it might have still resulted in Sony removing the game from PSN. They admitted to having a broken game, Sony is free to remove this game based on its brokenness. Why should they have their customer service department work overtime to continue refund a game the developer themselves are confirming has problems that they are still working to fix?

So the correct call was to remove it.

Refund.

FIX THE FUCKING GAME and then come back to recertify.

On second thought I believe you're right.

If the dev is acknowledging the game is broken to the extent of mass refunds, then Sony cannot in good faith continue to sell a broken game. So I actually agree with you. Them reaching out to Sony up front probably wouldn't have changed things.

In which case, I think it sets an important precedent for future games from other devs/pubs. If the producer acknowledges a need for mass refunds because of the state the game launches in, the game should be pulled from the store.

That said, if the dev/pub is more scummy, they can still ship a broken POS game and not acknowledge its brokenness. That will be the test for Sony/MS whether they take similar action as Sony did with CDPR or simply continue to sell the game despite possibly numerous customer complaints.

Top Bottom