• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will developers properly support WiiU when the rest of the world moves to Xone/ps4?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nintendo have to create an audience for them first. For some reason I don't quite understand.
What's to understand? Wii U hardware is the odd man out. Games can be created for ps4, xb1, and PC easily due to hardware similarity. The U is much less powerful and uses a different architecture. They can't simply port games to Wii U, they'd have to build separate Wii U versions. Why waste money on a lower quality version of a game available elsewhere?

If the audience is there, however, they'd have a legitimate reason to create a Wii U iteration.

Wiktor

Won't happen. The most Wii U can hope for is some low budget japanese games or indie/handheld ports. But big mainstream games? No way in hell. Once PS3 and 360 stop getting them, so will Wii U.

Collectively these 6 titles comprise around half of Wii U software sales in the US.
  • New Super Mario Bros U
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Just Dance 4
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Pikmin 3
So you will see "proper" support in the form of similar titles to the above.

N.Domixis

Banned
I just find it hard to believe how Nintendo and Sony both went from first to last in one gen. Sony with the ps3 and Nintendo with the wiiu

dark10x

I just find it hard to believe how Nintendo and Sony both went from first to last in one gen. Sony with the ps3 and Nintendo with the wiiu
The Wii, while a huge success initially, fell off pretty quickly with the casual crowd. Beyond that, Wii U is the antithesis of Wii in the sense that it's controller is the most complex looking pad we've seen in ages.

That may not have been an issue if the system was not once again massively underpowered, which just serves to make developers lives difficult. Most devs couldn't even effectively port from 360/PS3 to Wii U without running into problems. Nintendo is doing everything possible to NOT cater to developers. If they had a runaway success perhaps that would not have been an issue but now they have a huge battle ahead of them.

Drona

Banned
who knows. history shows that they wont. and nintendo should pay attention to the changing winds. maybe buy up capcom and sega.

Tofa7

Banned
The one third party that should be supporting Wii U (EA) pretends it doesn't exist unfortunately. It's such a shame too, the Gamepad is so perfect for sports games and they refuse to put a good version of FIFA or Madden on the system. The definitive version of these games should be on the Wii U.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I find it odd that the OP even asked the question. do Nintendo fans live inside some sort of rainbow day glow bubble where they believe the WiiU is a proper (performance wise) next gen machine with solid third party support.

Terrell

I wonder what this would do to Street Fighter...

Probably nothing. Buying Monolith didn't detract from what they were stylistically, after all.

You almost have to wonder if that's the reason Nintendo isn't spending much of its billions of dollars hoarded from the successes of the Wii generation: to bail out Japan's game industry heavy hitters when they eventually go tits-up from mismanagement so bad that it would make Iwata-haters blush.

Everyone talks like they hate doing M&As (which I would call a half-truth at best), but if push came to shove, they'd do it. Hell, they almost bought BANDAI FFS and by proxy almost owned about 1/4 of Japan's anime distribution and merchandising. What makes you think they wouldn't want a crack at owning the entire golden age of IP lineups (and retaining as many of the creative minds who made them) if the other option was having these companies die entirely?

raschi

What's to understand? Wii U hardware is the odd man out. Games can be created for ps4, xb1, and PC easily due to hardware similarity. The U is much less powerful and uses a different architecture. They can't simply port games to Wii U, they'd have to build separate Wii U versions. Why waste money on a lower quality version of a game available elsewhere?

If the audience is there, however, they'd have a legitimate reason to create a Wii U iteration.
The architecture is really not that much different. It's just PowerPC vs x86. Developers will still be targeting the low end PC marked as well, unless they are moving away from scalable engines. Budgets will only increase this coming generation, and publishers should be targeting as many platforms as possible, including Wii U and PS360.

And Nintendo can't create an audience for 3rd parties when they don't create the same types of games.

dark10x

The architecture is really not that much different. It's just PowerPC vs x86. Developers will still be targeting the low end PC marked as well, unless they are moving away from scalable engines. Budgets will only increase this coming generation, and publishers should be targeting as many platforms as possible, including Wii U and PS360.

And Nintendo can't create an audience for 3rd parties when they don't create the same types of games.
If it were similarly capable then the differences in architecture would not matter...but it's not.

It's only going to get worst, the console just can't have the same type of games. It'll be another Wii situation as far as third parties go.

Zoggy

Probably nothing. Buying Monolith didn't detract from what they were stylistically, after all.

You almost have to wonder if that's the reason Nintendo isn't spending much of its billions of dollars hoarded from the successes of the Wii generation: to bail out Japan's game industry heavy hitters when they eventually go tits-up from mismanagement so bad that it would make Iwata-haters blush.

Everyone talks like they hate doing M&As (which I would call a half-truth at best), but if push came to shove, they'd do it. Hell, they almost bought BANDAI FFS and by proxy almost owned about 1/4 of Japan's anime distribution and merchandising. What makes you think they wouldn't want a crack at owning the entire golden age of IP lineups (and retaining as many of the creative minds who made them) if the other option was having these companies die entirely?

that would be a Game of thrones type of twist

bring it on

PusherT

As a wii u owner all I want from 3rd parties is console parity. Not a damn thing special except off tv play and Miiverse that is it.

I was talking more about it's community, tournament scene, etc. I'm sure it would still be the same awesome game(with Nintendo alts), but just thinking about the market for such games and how they would be represented.

God I would pay dearly to see this happen. Talk about something for the ages to witness.

dark10x

As a wii u owner all I want from 3rd parties is console parity. Not a damn thing special except off tv play and Miiverse that is it.
Console parity? How is that even possible?

You want them to intentionally deliver low spec PS4/XB1 games just to keep the playing field level? That would never happen.

Also, on cross-gen games, the lack of parity is often the result of Nintendo's own policies. Lack of DLC, for instance, is a result of how Nintendo's online system is designed. Long loading times (in games like Blacklist) are due to the inability to cache data to a hard drive/flash memory of some sort. You can't reach parity in those cases as a result of Nintendo's decisions.

With the arrival of the PS4 and the XB1, the specifications of that low end PC market are shifting. Aren't both CoD and Watchdogs PC requiring 6 GB RAM? Next year will be swansong support for the PS3 and X360.
Developers are not going to handicap their next-gen efforts by supporting multiple generations in the long run.

Bingo. Then maybe they should?

Steroyd

Surely they will when the modern console trifecta become WiiU/Xone/ps4.......right?

If the're not getting much love from PS360 ports which is where the console's processing power is closest to, then I'm finding it really had to imagine them getting much love when devs jump to PS4One.

Wiktor

M°°nblade;85513231 said:
With the arrival of the PS4 and the XB1, the specifications of that low end PC market are shifting. Aren't both CoD and Watchdogs PC requiring 6 GB RAM? Next year will be swansong support for the PS3 and X360.
Developers are not going to handicap their next-gen efforts by supporting multiple generations in the long run.

Some smaller indie devs can though. It's not like most of even next-gen indie games will deliver visuals outside Wii U range. Looking at Kickstarters it's been pretty popular option to add Wii U to all multiplat projects and I expect indie devs will in a year or two pretty much the only 3rd party support Wii U will be getting.

(1) A vastly different architecture from the new consoles, which is much less powerful.
(2) A barely existent online infrastructure lacking virtually all features of modern online gaming networks.
(3) Decidedly poor console and game sales so far.
(4) Apathy and lack of interest from the gaming public.

You tell me. Will developers support the Wii U after the PS4/180 are released? Do they support it now, even?

Lulubop

Because the WiiU install base is too small to warrant heavy reengineering for small developers?

filament.gif

vespula_wasp.gif

It's not like flicking a switch. If the system isn't viable for publishers with limitless resources, why would it be big enough for indies?

This is coming out for the WiiU...

Oh, right from the mouth of the very dev.

A heavily work in progress version was playable in my lounge room 2 days ago, beat the first 3 levels :)

My stance is this: Despite a small install base there are clearly ravenous gamers waiting for good games on the Wii U, much like past Nintendo consoles your biggest hurdle is going to be delivering a Nintendo quality experience that this user base has come to expect, it remains to be seen if I can pull that off but I'm going to try. I wouldn't be surprised if a bright vibrant arcadey local co-op game like mine ends up matching well with the Wii U audience.

Major publishers haven't been able to understand Nintendo users for about about 15 years now so I'm not sure what they will do, testing the waters with sub-par ports that were 6 months late at the console launch seems like they set themselves up to fail...

Well wasn't that a turn of events.

talk about a bad example.

raschi

M°°nblade;85513231 said:
I fear there aren't enough gamers in the world to support these next-gen efforts. I believe our numbers need to grow a lot more for developers to take more chances with new types of gameplay. Raising the graphics/budgets, and limiting your audience is not the solution I think.
I guess I'm just an old grumpy gamer who doesn't like where this industry is going.

I fear there aren't enough gamers in the world to support these next-gen efforts. I believe our numbers need to grow a lot more for developers to take more chances with new types of gameplay. Raising the graphics/budgets, and limiting your audience is not the solution I think.
Numbers aren't going to grow much by supporting 8 year old, declining hardware. But they can grow by trying new types of gameplay that become possible on next-gen consoles. Many publishers have already stated that the budget increase will be marginal compared to current gen.

nightever

It's funny people in wiiu thread keep saying "maybe some Japanese devs will". Actually, Wiiu Japanese 3rd party support is much worser than the western ones.
Most small developers tend to have their niche audience on ps platforms and big ones like NBGI,KOEI,KONMAI,SE doesn't even put their multiplatform games on Wiiu.

M°°nblade;85513231 said:

Bingo
This is exactly what I'm saying. I've seen some people say that third parties should support Nintendo since engines are scalable. The PS4 and Xbox One are going to raise the base line for multiplatform games. Soon, it's going to require developers to entire create a different version for the system. And looking at sales, specifically software sales, I don't believe there is a good opportunity to make a return on that investment.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We will be looking in the rear view mirror once the next gen systems are out and I won't even feel like I'm missing anything. Will end up picking one up but when it's 150 or less.

The sad part is I feel like if I invest it would be for a few games and Nintendo would likely abandon this console and launch a new one. I would feel ripped off as a gamer since there is little for me on WiiU.

Tobor

What do they ditch it for? Any new console faces the same fundamental problems.

The Nintendo brand and IPs are geared towards a specific shrinking userbase and are not conducive to growing third party support.

As an optimistic Wii U owner, maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I believe once Mario Kart and Smash Bros. come out, publishers will try to get some software out there for all the new starving Wii U owners to eat up.

Whether or not those owners will actually buy it, I don't know, but I think those games are what will decide the future of the Wii U. Smash Bros. is a system seller for sure.

Malio

Looks like Gamecube all over again.

Shrug, there were a lot of great games for the Cube though, not gonna worry about. I'll play the ones that don't make it to the Wii U, on PC.

ymmv

Banned
It's only going to get worst, the console just can't have the same type of games. It'll be another Wii situation as far as third parties go.

The Wii got a shitload of games. No AAA titles, but at least it got a healthy software library in a few years. I just don't see it happening for the Wii U since it's currently selling a fraction of what the Wii did. It shouldn't matter for Nintendo fans who only buy Nintendo titles, but you probably won't see games like Fragile, Little King's Story, A Boy and His Blob, Zack & Wiki, A Shadows Tale, Muramasa, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Klonoa, No More Heroes, etc etc

dark10x

Looks like Gamecube all over again.

Shrug, there were a lot of great games for the Cube though, not gonna worry about. I'll play the ones that don't make it to the Wii U, on PC.
The Gamecube was one of the best systems Nintendo has ever released so another Gamecube would not be a bad thing.

However, Gamecube had *MUCH* stronger 3rd party support than the Wii U and even the Wii for that matter. It received ports of most major 3rd party games right out of the gate and they were often better than the PS2 versions technically.

Neff

Of the 5 gaming people I know, three prefer the PC, the other two are collecting Amiga games. Consoles are dead ;)

Lol, no offense, but maybe the lowdown on consoles from outside a 5-strong circle of computer enthusiasts will be more accurate.

MYE

Worst case scenario we will have Nintendo games and nintendo collaborations with third parties alongside random multiplatform releases.

Sure, just like when they properly supported the Wii.

I wouldn't mind that at all. Wii has a lot of good third party software.

Top Bottom