• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Elden Ring over take TLOU2 as the most awarded goty of all time?

Will Elden Ring win more total awards than TLOU2?

• Yes

Votes: 111 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 130 53.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Look at the job it’s already doing on some of the forum :messenger_tears_of_joy: I’d rather get rammed up the arse by Abby than read any more of this tripe :messenger_tears_of_joy: I’ll make sure to check in if Elden Ring surpasses Cuckmann’s primary school prose.

Banjo64

cumsessed
xUCwy2s.jpg
bs01fCl.jpg

433 votes and taking nearly 75% compared to (a very strange) 643 votes at 50%.

Topher

Gold Member
xUCwy2s.jpg
bs01fCl.jpg

433 votes and taking nearly 75% compared to (a very strange) 643 votes at 50%.

Quite a few sites do not select a GOTY until after the year is over. Either way, it seems clear that Elden Ring is going to have more awards totals as well as a higher percentage by quite a bit.

So what is the problem again?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Quite a few sites do not select a GOTY until after the year is over. Either way, it seems clear that Elden Ring is going to have more awards totals as well as a higher percentage by quite a bit.

I’m just highlighting that taking 75% of the vote is commendable, even if it doesn’t get the 7 votes needed to surpass TLoU 2.

The only ‘issue’ I have is that I’ve never read a reasonable explanation as to why in the last 5 or 6 years the number of total awards has plateaued at approximately 450 a year, aside from 2020 when the number spiked to 650. That is some anomaly.

Kataploom

Gold Member
No one asked for your new years resolutions.

Name a fight in Elden Ring more talked about than Abby vs Ellie. I will wait. The storybeats in TLOU 2 were more discussed than the boss fights in ER. Bunch of fights in that game and I cant recall a single one of them people talked about for months
pachah1.png
Well, idk who the F Malenia is but all I've seen all year from YouTubers is malenia fight this, malenia fight that... From TLOU2 haven't seen shit about boss fights but that's expected because the game focus is narrative and Miyazaki boss fights are just on their own level of quality, I wouldn't bet against that if I was you, that's like calling out Zelda for it's horrible level design and then put a corridor game which main focus is something else than level design against them

RafterXL

I think people's main issue is the fact that 2020 is a huge anomaly compared to every other year in number of awards. Add to that the person who compiled this list has a reportedly huge Sony bias that people having been questioning for years. Finally, this same fucker had the 2022 GotY tracker up until GoWR started losing to Elden Ring and them immediately took the site down, when he brought it back up the 2022 tracker was gone.

I don't know, and I honestly don't care all that much, but those things combined seem shady as hell to me. I still think % of wins is a far more useful metric anyway so whether it passes TLoU2 or not (it will) doesn't matter much, it's already clearly dominating like no other game has since this tracking started.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Time Magazine chose GOW Ragnarok as their GOTY and it's not even tracked on that site but some random twitter account is there. Time magazine is like the biggest and most well-known magazine in the world.

This whole thing makes no sense and is biased.

Topher

Gold Member
I’m just highlighting that taking 75% of the vote is commendable, even if it doesn’t get the 7 votes needed to surpass TLoU 2.

The only ‘issue’ I have is that I’ve never read a reasonable explanation as to why in the last 5 or 6 years the number of total awards has plateaued at approximately 450 a year, aside from 2020 when the number spiked to 650. That is some anomaly.

I think people's main issue is the fact that 2020 is a huge anomaly compared to every other year in number of awards. Add to that the person who compiled this list has a reportedly huge Sony bias that people having been questioning for years. Finally, this same fucker had the 2022 GotY tracker up until GoWR started losing to Elden Ring and them immediately took the site down, when he brought it back up the 2022 tracker was gone.

I don't know, and I honestly don't care all that much, but those things combined seem shady as hell to me. I still think % of wins is a far more useful metric anyway so whether it passes TLoU2 or not (it will) doesn't matter much, it's already clearly dominating like no other game has since this tracking started.

The simplest explanation is that TLOU 2 one of the most controversial games of the last decade and that was the case before it won its first GOTY award. The number of awards given out that year is certainly higher. There is no debate there. That in itself doesn't make the results wrong. Factually, there is a link for every single site that gave out an award. I'm sure quite a few of those sites are fledging nobodies trying to generate some buzz by jumping on the TLOU 2 bandwagon. But there are also legit sites and awards that crowned TLOU 2 GOTY such as the VGA which also gave TLOU 2 more awards than any other game that year. So is there an anomaly? Yeah, it is called TLOU 2. A game that continues to generate a ton of discussion two years after the fact. It is what it is.

RafterXL RafterXL what is the name of the person who compiled past awards and what is the basis for calling out their Sony bias?

Last edited:

Madflavor

Time Magazine chose GOW Ragnarok as their GOTY and it's not even tracked on that site but some random twitter account is there. Time magazine is like the biggest and most well-known magazine in the world.

This whole thing makes no sense and is biased.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

Part of the criteria for what gets counted toward the GOTY Award aggregate is that it must come from a source that has at least two staff members. The Time magazine article is by an individual and therefore doesn't get counted. It's not bias, it just doesn't meet the new and stricter set of guidelines.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not necessarily, in terms of publications that meet the qualifications of the people tracking and how many outlets choose to do a proper end of year GOTY list the amount varies year by year. 2020 had a lot more counted publications than any previous year, over 200 more than 2021's count. This is why percentage of awards>gross number of awards.

For reference here are the tallies for total GOTY lists counted from previous years :

• 2021 - 432
  • 2020 - 640
  • 2019 - 465
  • 2018 - 518
  • 2017 - 462
  • 2016 - 480
  • 2015 - 476
  • 2014 - 433
  • 2013 - 540
  • 2012 - 395
  • 2011 - 410
  • 2010 - 297
  • 2009 - 220
  • 2008 - 210
  • 2007 - 162
  • 2006 - 113
  • 2005 - 61
  • 2004 - 55
  • 2003 - 40
To the peeps below, look at the numbers. Can you not see that there's something fishy with 2020 or are you refusing to see that?

Elden ring is set to destroy last of us 2 with less overall numbers so all is right with the world.

praise the sun!
How in the world was an entire year's worth of GOTY awards from completely different outlets "rigged"?

Where are these 500 and 600 award totals even coming from?

How can 300+ GOTY awards for Elden Ring be acceptable, but 300+ GOTY awards for The Last of Us cannot?

If you think 2020 was clearly rigged and complete bullshit, then you have to use the same standards for Elden Ring. If you're going to discredit the 300+ awards because a few sites from little-to-know followers were counted then that means you should do that to Elden Ring, too.

The fact that you ignore this with Elden Ring and have a problem with it in regards to The Last of Us shows you're either biased or didn't want to accept the outcome in 2020.

Notice how I pointed out earlier today that Elden Ring received GOTY awards from "random twitter, youtube, and Instagram" accounts and no one said a word. This was used to discredit TLOU 300+ awards in 2020.

Care to explain how The Last of Us was rigged and Elden Ring is not?

Topher

Gold Member
To the peeps below, look at the numbers. Can you not see that there's something fishy with 2020 or are you refusing to see that?

You mean the fact that the most controversial game of the last decade got a lot of attention? Or are you refusing to see that?

Topher

Gold Member
Kyle Key.

Thanks. Trying to find his Sony bias still. Cuz last year....

• It Takes Two - 86
    • Media Outlets: 66 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Resident Evil Village - 60
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 31
  • Forza Horizon 5 - 54
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Deathloop - 40
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Metroid Dread - 36
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 7
  • Halo Infinite - 26
    • Media Outlets: 20 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Returnal - 22
    • Media Outlets: 19 | Readers' Choice: 3
  • Psychonauts 2 - 19
    • Media Outlets: 18 | Readers' Choice: 1
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 19

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You mean the fact that the most controversial game of the last decade got a lot of attention? Or are you refusing to see that?

Controversial to who? Everyday people? Or just a small minority of twitter freaks? ( in the grand scheme of things)

All my work colleagues that played the game dodged all spoilers and didn't know a sniff of the controversy. But I'm in the UK so maybe its a bit different? And I work with average people that don't live on gaming twitter or forums?

I'm just glad that a truly great video game is going to be the most awarded video game in history. Because, even if what your saying , is that the last of us 2 was the most awarded due to controversy and not due to it actually being an amazing video game? I think that's what your implying? If that's why it won the most it would suck.

I just would like a truly great game to have the record for most awarded game in history. Not some "controversy" that you claim that has over 200 extra game if the year awards counted that year.

So in reality, last of us 2 got 50 percent of that years awards and elden ring has 75 percent so far and looks set to eclipse lou2. Sounds good and it may silence those freaks that say weird shit about it being so awarded, but now we have the facts and we can clearly see there's some strange anomaly with 2020 as a year of results.

Truth wins out in the long run, I guess.

But also, in the long run...it doesn't matter. Lou2 still deserved plenty of game of the year awards and you all can still have that. Its just not to the levels of special some weird freaks were always preaching on the internet.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Elden ring is set to destroy last of us 2 with less overall numbers so all is right with the world.

praise the sun!
You only think it's fishy because you don't like the game. You're saying nothing about Elden Ring and that's the point. lol

You're telling people it's rigged for one game and not the other. If you say it was rigged for TLOU, then you're basically saying it's rigged for Elden Ring.

And there's to consider.

• 2021 - 432 - It Takes Two, Resident Evil Village, Forza Horizon
  • 2020 - 640 - Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades, Cyberpunk, Final Fantasy Remake, Animal Crossing
  • 2019 - 465 - Death Stranding, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro
  • 2018 - 518 - God of War, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2
  • 2017 - 462 - Zelda, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Obssey
  • 2016 - 480 - Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Doom
  • 2015 - 476 - Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Bloodborne
  • 2014 - 433 - Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • 2013 - 540 - Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite
  • 2012 - 395 - Walking Dead: The Game, Journey, Far Cry 3
  • 2011 - 410 - Skyrim
  • 2010 - 297
  • 2009 - 220
  • 2008 - 210
  • 2007 - 162
  • 2006 - 113
  • 2005 - 61
  • 2004 - 55
  • 2003 - 40
Notice the year with the biggest games generally have the largest amount of awards compared to others.

You have yet to prove it was rigged. You're only proving that you didn't agree with the outcome and the only excuse you have to make is to call it "rigged."

Madflavor

Thanks. Trying to find his Sony bias still. Cuz last year....

• It Takes Two- 86
    • Media Outlets: 66 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Resident Evil Village- 60
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 31
  • Forza Horizon 5- 54
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Deathloop - 40
    • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Metroid Dread - 36
    • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 7
  • Halo Infinite - 26
    • Media Outlets: 20 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Returnal - 22
    • Media Outlets: 19 | Readers' Choice: 3
  • Psychonauts 2 - 19
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart- 19

[/URL]

2021 really wasn't a strong year and had a pretty good spread on it's GOTY awards. It wasn't like Sony dropped a huge flagship IP that year. You can't really compare Returnal and Ratchet & Clank to the likes of TLOU2 or God of War: Ragnarok, even though they're good games. I think Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart sold just over 1 million copies that year.

Now if you really want to understand why Kyle Key was known for his Sony Bias, he has a history of going on rants on ResetEra regarding his love for Sony and would mald if big first party titles didn't get the recognition he thought they deserved. Add to the fact that he was counting just about any social media account towards TLOU2's aggregate, and the fact that his website went dark as soon as it became evident Elden Ring was beginning to sweep the awards, people are just putting 1:1 together here.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You only think it's fishy because you don't like the game. You're saying nothing about Elden Ring and that's the point. lol

You're telling people it's rigged for one game and not the other. If you say it was rigged for TLOU, then you're basically saying it's rigged for Elden Ring.

And there's to consider.

• 2021 - 432 - It Takes Two, Resident Evil Village, Forza Horizon
  • 2020 - 640 - Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades, Cyberpunk, Final Fantasy Remake, Animal Crossing
  • 2019 - 465 - Death Stranding, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro
  • 2018 - 518 - God of War, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2
  • 2017 - 462 - Zelda, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Obssey
  • 2016 - 480 - Uncharted 4, Overwatch, Doom
  • 2015 - 476 - Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Bloodborne
  • 2014 - 433 - Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • 2013 - 540 - Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V, Bioshock Infinite
  • 2012 - 395 - Walking Dead: The Game, Journey, Far Cry 3
  • 2011 - 410 - Skyrim
  • 2010 - 297
  • 2009 - 220
  • 2008 - 210
  • 2007 - 162
  • 2006 - 113
  • 2005 - 61
  • 2004 - 55
  • 2003 - 40
Notice the year with the biggest games generally have the largest amount of awards compared to others.

You have yet to prove it was rigged. You're only proving that you didn't agree with the outcome and the only excuse you have to make is to call it "rigged."

Hey, I didn't mind last of us 2. Its a good game. Not as good as the first. Seems to have a sequel curse, its better than god of war ragnarok but not a touch on gow 2018 or last of us part 1. It's just no where near what should be the most awarded video game in history In my opinion.

It's like people enjoyed saying it was some amazing game all the time to try and trigger people or imply "salt" or some weird shit. It felt like, they had more fun from using it for that kind of thing than they ever had playing it.

Just happy it's been dethroned, let us from soft fans have our moment.

And there's been some amazing games this year. It's even more of a testament to Elden Ring.

I would put money that Sony won't have a year like this for a long time. I'd love them to but they came out with 4 big first party games this year and elden ring has still run away with the most awards.

Crazy.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Controversial to who? Everyday people? Or just a small minority of twitter freaks? ( in the grand scheme of things)

All my work colleagues that played the game dodged all spoilers and didn't know a sniff of the controversy. But I'm in the UK so maybe its a bit different? And I work with average people that don't live on gaming twitter or forums?

I'm just glad that a truly great video game is going to be the most awarded video game in history. Because, even if what your saying , is that the last of us 2 was the most awarded due to controversy and not due to it actually being an amazing video game? I think that's what your implying? If that's why it won the most it would suck.

I just would like a truly great game to have the record for most awarded game in history. Not some "contreversy" that you claim that has over 200 extra game if the year awards counted that year.

So in reality, last of us 2 got 50 percent of that years awards and elden ring has 75 percent so far and looks set to eclipse lou2. Sounds good and it may silence those freaks that say weird shit about it being so awarded, but now we have the facts and we can clearly see there's some strange anomaly with 2020 as a year of results.

Truth wins out in the long run, I guess.

But also, in the long run...it doesn't matter. Lou2 still deserved plenty of game of the year awards and you all can still have that. Its just not to the levels of special some weird freaks were always preaching on the internet.

Depends on who you ask, doesn't it? To me, TLOU 2 was absolutely the best game of 2020 and it wasn't even close. Obviously a ton of people agree with that. But I'm not so blind to call my opinion "truth". I'll let you hold on to that delusion for yourself.

If you slept through 2020 then there is no use trying to rehash it for you.

For the record, I have no problem with any game taking that "most awarded ever" crown from TLOU 2. My enjoyment of that game isn't diminished one iota. And I expect Elden Ring will do just that. Couldn't think of a more deserving game.

2021 really wasn't a strong year and had a pretty good spread on it's GOTY awards. It wasn't like Sony dropped a huge flagship IP that year. You can't really compare Returnal and Ratchet & Clank to the likes of TLOU2 or God of War: Ragnarok, even though they're good games. I think Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart sold just over 1 million copies that year.

Now if you really want to understand why Kyle Key was known for his Sony Bias, he has a history of going on rants on ResetEra regarding his love for Sony and would mald if big first party titles didn't get the recognition he thought they deserved. Add to the fact that he was counting just about any social media account towards TLOU2's aggregate, and the fact that his website went dark as soon as it became evident Elden Ring was beginning to sweep the awards, people are just putting 1:1 together here.

Bias is bias and I'm looking at two Sony games that didn't even make the top 5 in 2021. Looking at the resetera thread, it doesn't seem like anyone had a problem with him continuing on this year. Again, this isn't like he was keeping the tally secret. Every link is there for all to see. He couldn't be more transparent if he tried. No idea why Kyle would bail because of Elden Ring when he didn't bail last year. Sorry I don't see 1:1 being put together here at all.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Bias is bias and I'm looking at two Sony games that didn't even make the top 5 in 2021. Looking at the resetera thread, it doesn't seem like anyone had a problem with him continuing on this year. Again, this isn't like he was keeping the tally secret. Every link is there for all to see. He couldn't be more transparent if he tried. No idea why Kyle would bail because of Elden Ring when he didn't bail last year. Sorry I don't see 1:1 being put together here at all.

Ok.

Madflavor

Elden Ring is a once in a generation type of game. When it hit the gaming scene, it landed like an meteor impact. Everyone was talking about it, including people who normally don't play Souls games. The discussions, debates and memes it has spawned has continued on 10 months later. It sparked a sense of adventure and discovery for so many gamers, a feeling that comes every once in a while, triggering old memories of first playing games like The Legend of Zelda on the NES, Skyrim, or Breath of the Wild. Just when you think you've seen most of the game, you discover another vast city or dungeon. It's absolutely insane just how huge the game is. On top of that the amount of freedom the game gives you how how to build your character and where to go offers plenty of replayability, experimentation, and changes how difficult the game can be for you. Was it perfect? No. Every game has it's flaws. But what Elden Ring did well, it did it exceptionally.

elden-ring-tarnished-art-4k-uhdpaper.com-424.1_b-thumbnail.jpg

Tomorrow we will likely see Elden Ring become the new most awarded game ever, and likely go far beyond the record that was previously set. Ultimately how much these GOTY awards matter in the end, is ultimately up to the individual. But regardless, it will be interesting to look to the horizon on which game could possible challenge the newly crown king for the throne.

Topher

Gold Member
Elden Ring is a once in a generation type of game. When it hit the gaming scene, it landed like an meteor impact. Everyone was talking about it, including people who normally don't play Souls games. The discussions, debates and memes it has spawned has continued on 10 months later. It sparked a sense of adventure and discovery for so many gamers, a feeling that comes every once in a while, triggering old memories of first playing games like The Legend of Zelda on the NES, Skyrim, or Breath of the Wild. Just when you think you've seen most of the game, you discover another vast city or dungeon. It's absolutely insane just how huge the game is. On top of that the amount of freedom the game gives you how how to build your character and where to go offers plenty of replayability, experimentation, and changes how difficult the game can be for you. Was it perfect? No. Every game has it's flaws. But what Elden Ring did well, it did it exceptionally.

elden-ring-tarnished-art-4k-uhdpaper.com-424.1_b-thumbnail.jpg

Tomorrow we will likely see Elden Ring become the new most awarded game ever, and likely go far beyond the record that was previously set. Ultimately how much these GOTY awards matter in the end, is ultimately up to the individual. But regardless, it will be interesting to look to the horizon on which game could possible challenge the newly crown king for the throne.

Well said. Trashing one game doesn't make another game any better. I think your post does a great job stating why Elden Ring is deserving of this based entirely on its own merits.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I literally cant think of a single thing Elden Ring does better than TLOU 2. TLOU 2 did more for its genre than ER did for its genre.

Exploration, i'll give it that by default.

Boss fights?

But this fight was more more talked about, more memorable, more consequential and more impactful than any fight boss in ER point blank period.

maxresdefault.jpg

sass1.png
rejoice.png
Mechanically the boss fight is playing hide and seek and tagging Abby three times, it’s barely a boss fight. It’s also in my opinion a moment where the plot falls apart a little bit (leaving a map that says WE ARE HERE right by a dead body and then completely forgetting about it on the way back and the rest of the day?). But this is subjective.

In terms of interest / buzz, I really don’t think it was talked about more than ER and Google trends doesn’t indicate it either:
NhuMdAh.jpg

At their respective peaks, ER was talked about around 4 times more. ER is of course more likely to generate searches since it’s more complex and open.

Personally my favorite ER boss is Rennala of the full moon, it’s not the most challenging but the esthetics, the soundtrack, the sheer beauty of it are just out of this world. And that’s just one out of dozens.

Fahdis

What a toxic thread of literal babies worried about some arbitrary awards by media they don't care about... but now do? Be thankful that you can play all these masterpieces while you're alive and perhaps stop projecting biased insecurities on what you find subjectively trash which are also mostly partisan opinions equivalent to personal garbage. Why do you need validation from others, if you had fun? Gamers are turning their own medium into a pot of stupidity. This isn't a glass half full or glass half empty situation. That glass is completely full... maybe if you folks had a flair for acceptance, you'd realize it... now drink up!

Banjo64

cumsessed
The simplest explanation is that TLOU 2 one of the most controversial games of the last decade and that was the case before it won its first GOTY award.
That’s a valid POV but it doesn’t add up to me. Why would a controversial game result in 200 more votes than the average? You could argue that a universally beloved game like BotW or Elden Ring would bring more reviewers out.

The number of awards given out that year is certainly higher. There is no debate there. That in itself doesn't make the results wrong. Factually, there is a link for every single site that gave out an award.
I’m not questioning the validity of the websites.

2020 - 640 - Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades, Cyberpunk, Final Fantasy Remake, Animal Crossing
2018 - 518 - God of War, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption 2
2017 - 462 - Zelda, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mario Obssey
2015 - 476 - Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Bloodborne

It’s cute that you think any of the games in 2018 or 2020 (RDR aside) are bigger than Zelda, Mario, The Witcher 3 and Fallout.

Handel

praise the sun!
Yeah there was discussion of this on the ERA thread, and the person who ran the tracker used in 2020 was apparently a big Sony and TLOU fanboy who also disliked Souls games. There were apparently some very questionable GOTYs counted, that shouldn't have been by that own trackers rules for that year, let alone by the standards for counting this year. Even so, Elden Ring is beating TLOU2's total amount despite stricter requirements being placed on ER's total, Western/US outlets have heavily favored ER in comparison to TLOU2(Hades was big on the West/US front).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom