• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Final Fantasy VII's Re-introduction (Remake) Be Praised For Diversity)?

Dremark

Banned
Personally, I'd rather have a more cohesive story, which is harder to do with optional characters. I'd especially like Vincent to have more backstory, considering how closely connected he is to Sephiroth's past. If they're optional they can't spend as much time on developing them and integrating them into they story.

I really don't think it would be that difficult. If you get them you see the scenes, if you don't you don't. Also Vincent could have backstory included regardless as he actually does have relevance to the story (and I actually stated I only have an issue with Yuffie).

Regardless, if you prefer it that way you are more than entitled to. I absolutely promise you that I will not rob you steal your identity or take any other sort of action to prevent you from buying it. I'm just not going to buy it myself, everyone else is free to make thier own decision.

ZenTzen

Perhaps you have reading comprehension issues, I literally stated exactly how I would deal with it if the games forces me to use her.

simply said that shes not gonna be an optional character, but seeing as she'll have a bigger role, wutai for example and her backstory or even plot related elements wont be skippable, if the game forces people to use her, i dont have a clue

Of course that entirelly depends if SE intends to introduce her in the first part or where the first part will end, if they finish the game at the boat ride from junon for example, theres a chance of her being introduced, since that was the earliest you could get her as a party member in FF7, personally that would be great with her motion sickness on the boat

Dremark

Banned
Don't think they will force you to use her .
Still they most likely will make you get her and she will play a bigger part of the game.

Sorry, I misspoke (well typed the wrong term). If she has any sort of inclusion in the game which is mandatory aside from a random encounter I can just run from I'll pass.

Dremark

Banned
simply said that shes not gonna be an optional character, if the game forces people to use her, i dont have a clue

besides, i dont think they'll introduce her in the first part either way, of course that entirelly depends where SE intends the first part to end, if they finish the game at the boat ride from junon for example, theres a chance of her being introduced, since that was the earliest you could get her as a party member in FF7, personally that would be great with her motion sickness on the boat

If she's mandatory I'll skip. I'll wait and see how she's integrated too so if she's not in the first part I'll wait it out and see.

OrionX

I really don't think it would be that difficult. If you get them you see the scenes, if you don't you don't. Also Vincent could have backstory included regardless as he actually does have relevance to the story (and I actually stated I only have an issue with Yuffie).

Regardless, if you prefer it that way you are more than entitled to. I absolutely promise you that I will not rob you steal your identity or take any other sort of action to prevent you from buying it. I'm just not going to buy it myself, everyone else is free to make thier own decision.

Your hate for Yuffie must be very strong. lol

And thank you for not trying to... rob me or steal my identity. I wasn't concerned you would, but I'm relieved to hear it. :p

pablito

Skipping the game because they're likely to just include Yuffie as a regular character seems hella extreme. But whatever, do you bro.

Dremark

Banned
Your hate for Yuffie must be very strong. lol

I can't stand her and the crap in Wutai was honestly the least enjoyable part of the game.

Skipping the game because they're likely to just include Yuffie as a regular character seems hella extreme. But whatever, do you bro.

Plenty of people are complaining about various aspects of the game they like/dislike and want kept/changed. I merely want them to keep my favorite aspect of Yuffie's character (and only redeeming value) intact. Considering the rest if the thread I don't think I'm out of line.

pablito

Plenty of people are complaining about various aspects of the game they like/dislike and want kept/changed. I merely want them to keep my favorite aspect of Yuffie's character (and only redeeming value) intact. Considering the rest if the thread I don't think I'm out of line.

I think you may be skipping this game man. Keeping characters optional may mean they'd have to make 3 versions of the same scenes. Making them regular and just doing one version is the safer bet.

BibiMaghoo

I think part of the original games magic is that so much was optional and could be missed. That two party members are included in this was quite special, and I think the game will lose that for making those two characters integrated. In the original, both had their own little sections of the game, like every other character, and I don't see why that cannot be repeated.

I would prefer they needed to be made to join optionally, although make it a little more in depth than it was.

I think part of the original games magic is that so much was optional and could be missed. That two party members are included in this was quite special, and I think the game will lose that for making those two characters integrated. In the original, both had their own little sections of the game, like every other character, and I don't see why that cannot be repeated.

I would prefer they needed to be made to join optionally, although make it a little more in depth than it was.

Things are very different from back then .
The game going to be more than one part which means they going to expand on things .
Also it cost much more to make assets than it did back then .
That is not counting the VA and other parts of the game they would have to do twice if they made them optional .

BibiMaghoo

Things are very different from back then .
The game going to be more than one part which means they going to expand on things .
Also it cost much more to make assets than it did back then .
That is not counting the VA and other parts of the game they would have to do twice if they made them optional .

I don't disagree (apart from the making things twice part, because there are plenty of ways around that, like adding additional scenes based on context, instead of replacing them entirely).

But that doesn't really alter my position on the matter, it will be lesser for not having them optional, though I can happily live with it.

Nerokis

Yes, but I think it is a problem that HOW he talked and not what he said and did is what people say is a crucial part of the character.

Crucial to the character, no, but perhaps more important to how people remember him. When I think about Barret, how he talks is one of the things that come to mind, even though I'm looking forward to seeing a less aggressively stereotypical version of him in the remake.

If Yuffie doesn't stay a 100% optional character I'm skipping the remake even if everything thing else is to my liking. I picked her up for 1 playthough and that was more than enough for me.

Vincent is fine either way though.

Weird to be so set on this before we even know what to expect from Yuffie.

Also, I'm looking forward to this thread: Are there any characters you liked/disliked in original FFVII, but feel totally different about in the remake?

ZenTzen

I don't disagree (apart from the making things twice part, because there are plenty of ways around that, like adding additional scenes based on context, instead of replacing them entirely).

But that doesn't really alter my position on the matter, it will be lesser for not having them optional, though I can happily live with it.

seeing the other way, it will have more to them as well, wether its story, content, etc, since they wont be optional

Dremark

Banned
I think you may be skipping this game man. Keeping characters optional may mean they'd have to make 3 versions of the same scenes. Making them regular and just doing one version is the safer bet.

I'm okay with that.

Honestly Yuffie doesn't really have much of a place in the storyline anyway so they easily just have her say a couple extra lines here and there if she's present.

Unless I'm mistaken one of the most important cutscenes in the game was not only completely optional, it was also pretty easy to miss as you had to go to a basement for essentially no reason. If I'm not mistaken it was the one that showed a bunch of extra background on Cloud and Zack's death scene.

Crucial to the character, no, but perhaps more important to how people remember him. When I think about Barret, how he talks is one of the things that come to mind, even though I'm looking forward to seeing a less aggressively stereotypical version of him in the remake.

Weird to be so set on this before we even know what to expect from Yuffie.

Also, I'm looking forward to this thread: Are there any characters you liked/disliked in original FFVII, but feel totally different about in the remake?

Honestly if they're going to change the characters that much I'm not going to be interested anyway.

I mean removing the Mr T stuff imo is perfectly acceptable seeing as it was something forced into a fairly spotty localization.

If they're going to change Yuffie to the point where she's not an annoying piece of trash they've completely replaced her character. Admittedly that actually sounds pretty nice but I see little point in making a remake when you're not going to be true to the original at all.

Dremark

Banned
seeing the other way, it will have more to them as well, wether its story, content, etc, since they wont be optional

It really isn't dependant on whether they are optional or not it all comes down to whether they want to put more effort in or not.

It really wouldn't take much more effort to cut them out of scenes if they're not there.

If they're going to change Yuffie to the point where she's not an annoying piece of trash they've completely replaced her character. Admittedly that actually sounds pretty nice but I see little point in making a remake when you're not going to be true to the original at all.

I mean it's not like she had much stuff in the first game to begin with .
And since she was such a small part of it they can do much more since it's a remake .
The FFVII story has become much more since the game came out near 20 years ago .

Dremark

Banned
I mean it's not like she had much stuff in the first game to begin with .
And since she was such a small part of it they can do much more since it's a remake .

Alternatively they can minimize her role even further in the remake. it's addition by subtraction.

I.R.I.S.

Neo Member
I fail to see how FFVII has meaningful "diversity"

There's a walking ethnic stereotype black guy, and another ethnic sterotype ninja girl.
Everyone else is seemingly caucasian or a creature/animal.

Alternatively they can minimize her role even further in the remake. it's addition by subtraction.

That won't make any sense .
She has been in most FF7 media since the game came out .
Plus some other cross over stuff .
Why would there be less of her in the remake of a game that she from .

ZenTzen

It really isn't dependant on whether they are optional or not it all comes down to whether they want to put more effort in or not.

It really wouldn't take much more effort to cut them out of scenes if they're not there.

yes it wouldnt take much effort to take them out of scenes

fact of the matter is they are putting the effort to expand on side characters like biggs, wedge and jessie, for example, not much of a stretch they are gonna put more effort into the main characters, especially the side ones

I fail to see how FFVII has meaningful "diversity"

There's a walking ethnic stereotype black guy, and another ethnic sterotype ninja girl.
Everyone else is seemingly caucasian or a creature/animal.

the black guy thing is mostly crappy localization and i fail to see how yuffie is a stereotype ninja girl

I.R.I.S.

Neo Member
the black guy thing is mostly crappy localization and i fail to see how yuffie is a stereotype ninja girl

Barrett is your typical Scary Black Man trope while also being a Token Minority. He gets zero points for diversity besides just showing up. Not that he's a bad character, but I wouldn't call him representative of any sort of diversity. Even when you exclude his personality, his very appearance is an overused trope.

Yuffie being the Asian character who also happens to be a ninja, that's about as stereotypical as you can get, just due to her job description. She's there mainly for the Rule of Cool that you get from having a ninja on the team, not because the game devs were thinking about being diverse.

ZenTzen

So who were the clearly white people?

what i'm saying is people from wutai, which is a pretty clear asian looking country, with people with very much asian names, are clearly the asian ethnicity in that game, the rest is all white, black, latin, etc

Barrett is your typical Scary Black Man trope while also being a Token Minority. He gets zero points for diversity besides just showing up. Not that he's a bad character, but I wouldn't call him representative of any sort of diversity. Even when you exclude his personality, his very appearance is an overused trope.

you know, the use of tropes isnt inherently bad, and the angry black man thing makes all kinds of sense if you take into account his backstory, and theres more to his character than that, like the whole marlene thing and dyne, and the consequences and realization of his actions as part of AVALANCHE

and i dont see either whats wrong with his appearance when he looks pretty cool, especially the remake design

the whole issue i'm seeing here is the problem with his localised personality, which is an issue that can easily be fixed by just putting his western version more inline with the japanese one

Yuffie being the Asian character who also happens to be a ninja, that's about as stereotypical as you can get, just due to her job description. She's there mainly for the Rule of Cool that you get from having a ninja on the team, not because the game devs were thinking about being diverse.
i fail to see the issue here as well

Nerokis

Sheesh, that's a lot of TV Tropes in a single post. :p

It's true there's nothing unique about an Asian ninja, but to go from that to saying she's "about as stereotypical as you can get" is a pretty big leap. Tropes aren't bad or disqualifying. They're just conventions, and like most things, it depends how you use them. In Yuffie's case, her background as a ninja ends up leading us to Wutai, which turns out to be a commercialized ninja village - an interesting twist on the trope. Also, no idea how she qualifies for Rule of Cool at all. Seriously, ninja = cool only goes so far.

Yarbskoo

Strife, Lockhart, Valentine and GAINSBOROUGH are not Asian surnames.

what i'm saying is people from wutai, which is a pretty clear asian looking country, with people with very much asian names, are clearly the asian ethnicity in that game, the rest is all white, black, latin, etc

I dunno, it just seems weird to assume that anyone in this Japanese game who doesn't come from a stereotypical ninja village or has an obviously Japanese name is white just because they have light skin and names made out of cobbled together English words.

Lutherian

Oh I agree, but they still aren't a race dude. Race isn't the correct term to use in the context of a creator that has hardcore same face issues.

I absolutly agree with your statement. It was to respond to "So we have racial stereotype Barret and titty mc tittersdaughter Tifa. Plus some white guys and girls. Yeah, I don't really think so."

Oh and about names, I really wish Nomura stops using objects for names : Lightning, Squall, Cloud, Vanille, and the entire cast of FF Type-0. What's next ? The hero is called Poop, the girl love interest "Piss" and the best friend of the hero "Marshmallow" (and don't forget the Moggle called "Table-kuppo") ?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I absolutly agree with your statement. It was to respond to "So we have racial stereotype Barret and titty mc tittersdaughter Tifa. Plus some white guys and girls. Yeah, I don't really think so."

Oh and about names, I really wish Nomura stops using objects for names : Lightning, Squall, Cloud, Vanille, and the entire cast of FF Type-0. What's next ? The hero is called Poop, the girl love interest "Piss" and the best friend of the hero "Marshmallow" (and don't forget the Moggle called "Table-kuppo") ?
Lmfao

Top Bottom