• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Koji Igarashi's Castlevania successor be revealed this Monday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The hat is back https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/597190809948004352/photo/1

CEml3mYUEAAEqTj.jpg

IGA sure is making the rounds in California.

I liked it, but it was too grindy. I'm also the type who wants a 'purpose' to games, a central goal that sort of justifies the game. Harmony of Despair lacked that even more than Judgment, which very awkwardly assumes you know the significance of Galamoth. They actually tried to give HD "lore" by explaining the Grimoire as a magical book, but it makes no sense.

Fair enough. It's defitely a grind from start to finish, even in online co-op.

Always wondered how the hell anyone was expected to connect Judgment's plot with an obscure ass CV spinoff outside of diehards :lol

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Since the op hasn't been updated, what is the stream people have been talking about and when does it start?

Kinda Funny Games is doing a stream on monday starting at 11am (I assume PST since I think they're in Cali?). I believe the stream will be on their site.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Kinda Funny Games is doing a stream on monday starting at 11am (I assume PST since I think they're in Cali?). I believe the stream will be on their site.

So then is this the stream being referred to in the teaser site? Is that where he does his reveal?

Foffy

Banned
Fair enough. It's defitely a grind from start to finish, even in online co-op.

Always wondered how the hell anyone was expected to connect Judgment's plot with an obscure ass CV spinoff outside of diehards :lol

Judgment kind of relies on Kid Dracula, Symphony of the Night, and presumably Dracula's Curse, in particular to understand why Galamoth is the main villain.

- Galamoth is first introduced as a villain in Kid Dracula, considered an enemy to both Kid Dracula and Death.
- Symphony of the Night has Galamoth as the hardest boss of the game, a monster under Dracula's control despite wanting to rule like Dracula does.
- The original backstory to Dracula's Curse infers that Dracula tricks a monster to obtain enormous power and is the catalyst to Dracula having a large enough army to attack Wallachia. It was very likely Galamoth, considering the types of powers it has.
- Judgment takes place in a time rift, presumably so Galamoth can kill off key people and take his place as the truth King Badass Incarnate™.

Of course, the only people who would even care about any of that stuff would be hardcore fans, most of which had many issues with the rest of Judgment as is.

Maedhros

Hopefully the stamina system returns for this new game.

I liked actually using my brain and choosing the correct glyph for the enemies.

And also the system where we could save different sets of glyphs. Shit was obligatory for playing the game well.

Order of Ecclesia combat system is the best in the series. I want that back.

LowParry

After the backlash of the visual asthenics for MN9, I think they'll know that 2D is the prefer choice from people.

It's also the more expensive option isn't it? Either way, with it being a kickstarter and who it is, I'm pretty sure they'll hit their target very comfortably.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's also the more expensive option isn't it? Either way, with it being a kickstarter and who it is, I'm pretty sure they'll hit their target very comfortably.

You can't really say one is more expensive than the other as a general statement, especially when we don't know the nature of the game or their target resolution or any other details.

What can be said is that finding and assembling the personnel required for any discipline, be it pixel art, HD 2D art or 3D, is going to be key. IGA is going to have to partner with someone to make this game, and they are gonna need a lot of artists and/or a lot of time in order to make a game with the volume of an IGAvania.

I've sad it before but I really hope this is a pixel art game with 3DS as the base platform, as I think it'll both look better than a 2.5D game and scale a lot better to all the various platforms. I'd be shocked if they pitch a HD 2D game, honestly.

TreIII

There's no way they're not doing 2D stuff. IntiCreate's sprite stuff is just too good.

Yeah, again, their spritework is top-notch. I just hope that any gameplay systems will be handled more from IGA's planning team than anything else.

Playing Gunvolt after having such high expectations stemming from the Zero series and MM9/10 was just such a let down.

ZoddGutts

I know 2D isn't cheap which is why I'm fine with this Castlevania clone game being a bit shorter length wise if they do plan on going 2D, once they do sequels they'll be able to reused enemy sprites anyways, lowering the budget for the sequels.

cireza

If it is Inti Creates, then I cannot be more happy with this choice.

Currently playing Gunvolt, those guys know how to make awesome pixel-art.

It has been a long time since I have not been so impatient about the unveiling of a new game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
If they're involved, I hope it's like Shantae in that it's a collaborate effort between Inti and another developer.

I am not a fan of Inti's Metroidvania attempts with Mega Man.

Well, the Inti/Wayforward collaboration was just one artist from Inti providing character portraits, so any IGA/Inti collab would have to be more of a true collaboration, and I wonder how many of IGA's crew would be involved aside from IGA--not just Yamane and Kojima, but other Konami people. I suppose we'll find out before long.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Inti Creates is still god-tier in my book. Even if it ends up looking like MN9, the gameplay is bound to be tight. Gunvolt, while not even close to the MMZ, still had solid controls and art.

Foffy

Banned
I know 2D isn't cheap which is why I'm fine with this Castlevania clone game being a bit shorter length wise if they do plan on going 2D, once they do sequels they'll be able to reused enemy sprites anyways, lowering the budget for the sequels.

IGA's games are usually not super long, but that's why he always offers alternate modes to the games, to increase their length. I tend to ignore most of them, though.

HoD was in some ways a logical extension of the loot hunting that's been a part of Igavanias since the beginning. I think it worked fantastically in those regards.

The real end boss of HoD was the RNG. By far more evil then any of the creatures in the game.

You might wanna call it HD, which is also the official designation, since HoD usually is used to refer to Harmony of Dissonance, the GBA game with Juste Belmont. :)

All this hype, I guess I should check out Symphony of the Night? Never played a Castlevania game

It's funny. I never played a Castlevania and I never played Metroid either, but I love Metroidvanias

All this hype, I guess I should check out Symphony of the Night? Never played a Castlevania game

It's funny. I never played a Castlevania and I never played Metroid either, but I love Metroidvanias

Most Metroidvanias are not half as fun as most of Castlevania and Metroid :0

Durante

Hey, before my time. Never had a Nintendo console and my first intro to gaming were Spyro, Resident Evil 2, and Bloody Roar. Is it possible to play Metroid on PC? Emulated or something?
You can emulate pretty much every Metroid ever released on PC. For many of them that's arguably the best way to play them these days. Of course, first you have to buy them.

Firebrand

Glad to see some IGA appreciation. I still shudder to think the LoS OT's title was "The MercurySteam has vanquished the horrible night."

Guess I'll need to open up my wallet for a kickstarter again. Never know how these things turn out, but as long as the game is completed I have a hard time imagining it isn't at least pretty good.

Nibel

Super Metroid and Castlevania: SOTN are essentials that everybody should have played. If you have the opportunity and time, you should play them; will give you a better idea why so many people are excited to see what Iga is cooking up.

OmegaDL50

:(

I just gave it a spin again, I'm very rusty. Luckily, my OP Shanoa still saw me through easily :p

I used to own this, then my 360 died. I really need to rebuy this again on PS3, even if I mainly play solo.

When I do buy it, I definitely play co-op with you Durante.

Hey, before my time. Never had a Nintendo console and my first intro to gaming were Spyro, Resident Evil 2, and Bloody Roar. Is it possible to play Metroid on PC? Emulated or something?

You can use a SNES emulator (HIGAN is the most accurate emulator available however you need a decent PC for full speed.)

Or if you own a Wii U you can buy Super Metroid via Virtual Console.

Symphony of the Night, you have several options. If you own a PS3 you got the PSX Classics which is my preferred way to play the game. 360 has a version via XBLA but is missing some movie / fmv stuff.

If you own a PSP there is also Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles which you can unlock SOTN as a bonus game, however it has a revised localization and different voice work that many people seem to dislike despite the translation being more accurate.

Foffy

Banned
A small part of me is being very conflicted about this, for the stupid reason that it won't be the continuation of Alucard's story.

I'm more bothered by the unexplained plot element on
why Richter has to be the last Belmont to hold the Vampire Killer.

Almost every other thread the original canon left can be explained off well except that one.

I also wonder, if the /v/ character rumor was true, is the male character a dhampir or a born vampire? Castlevania only had about one vampire like that, that being Walter Bernhard.

That's my most requested dl game ever. Bought Harmony on PS3 and 360 with all DLC. Some of the greatest gaming I've ever had.

Same. Bought the hell out of all the DLC on both systems, played it many many late nights, was a blast playing with Japanese folk in the morning. Down the line everyone just kept trying to glitch the retro strages. lol.

Still kinda surprised they didn't release more characters and stages :(

I'd love some sort of sequel, or if this new Iga title had some resemblence to HoD. Hell, Id love some dual crashes or something like Hydro Storm xD

Maybe Richter had
a slew of unworthy sons that made him worry about the long-term succession of the Vampire Killer lol? Or the events of Symphony left him concerned about a possible repetition of Shaft.

My memory of the canon is all hazy, to be honest. It's been too long since Sorrow/Ecclesia.

OmegaDL50

Almost every other thread the original canon left can be explained off well except that one.

I also wonder, if the /v/ character rumor was true, is the male character a dhampir or a born vampire? Castlevania only had about one vampire like that, that being Walter Bernhard.

I think one of the reasons why Sonia Belmont was retconned out of IGA's timeline was due to the fact that the ending of Castlevania Legends heavily implies that
Trevor Belmont is the love child of Sonia and Alucard.

This would mean that
Trevor was 1/4th Vampire 3/4th Human.Which would create all kinds of strange situations. Like how would a Belmont be able to wield the Vampire Killer when it's power repelled Vampires. Trevor being 1/4th Vampire would mean would be impossible for him and his future descendants to wield.

This is the reason why Castlevania Legends was omitted, not because IGA didn't feel a female Vampire Hunter was suitable.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics

My Castlevania lore is a little rusty, but didn't
Julius Belmont take up the Vampire Killer after the Morris clan got it from Richter? I think the reason Richter passed it on in the first place was that he was ashamed of being led on by Shaft.

I LOVED Harmony of Despair. Put over 250 hours into the 360 version. Actually, that reminds me that I should get it again on PS3 since I've been craving that game lately. :D

I'd go nuts for either HoD2 or OoE2.

I love Harmony of Despair. Spent so much into it. It's too bad certain balance issues led to people flocking to Soma to take on Hard Mode.

Harmony of Despair 2 can take all m money

Harmony of Despair was amazing. Playing as content was released was awesome on the 360. Then I got to do it all again on the PS3. 6 player Castlevania co-op was fantastic. My most wanted release is HoD on PC. Imagine what the mod community could do with the engine.

It's great seeing so much love for that title.

I fired it up last week on the PS3. Managed to get a couple 3 and 4 player games going. Seems like we might be able to get a GAF group going.

That'd be awesome! I'm definitely in. What say you guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom