• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will my leg be amputated?

Antoon

Banned
On the first day of this fresh new year I got this nasty wound from trying to get on a train platform.

This is the wound on the 1st day.

02929b943083d084b91a4901b4c94b83

It is right below the knee area, and its been swollen and pretty painful for the first 4 days. I didnt seek any professional help because I thought it would heal on its own.
So its been 11 days now and the wound is pretty much the same, the wound is just covered by that bloody crust. But what kinda freaked me out today is that I found the lower parts of the leg are swollen too.

dae145a9fed0f46baf40541da03ef0f0

It feels very puffy and there is that purple trace.

4b8070dde0c9bcbe6f2ed3307bba13b5

1ce89f94c149eb52efca65f8ee446624

And here is the other side, it has less of that purple marking.

a8ec27a13b8948c9848a5dbb493d2626

So I'd like to ask Neogaf if this is normal or I should go to ER as fast as possible (its also not that easy since I have a cold for over a week now).
Thank you for your time.

Fbh

The answer to the question "Should I ask about this medical condition online or go see a doctor" is always "go see a doctor"

iconmaster

Banned
It's probably infected and will quickly heal once you get some proper antibiotics.

Assuming you go see a doctor.

lil puff

You didn't go to the doc immediately?

I saw this happen to one guy, he mis-stepped into the gap between the train and platform. Ouch he was in so much pain, we offered him water and help. He was tough, but you could see the look on his face.

Get it checked out OP, my old roommate got an infection from something like that, and it just got worse.

Grinchy

Banned
It's actually good that you came here instead of going to see a doctor because I'm an expert in this matter. If you drink your own urine for 48 hours, this will go away.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I take it nobody finds it surprising that OP has yet to respond back?

By default i don't believe users who tell a story about a serious wound/incident and then ask if they need to see a doctor or therapist.

As if the order of importance regarding these is GAF First and own health second. Like, come on son.

lil puff

By default i don't believe users who tell a story about a serious wound/incident and then ask if they need to see a doctor or therapist.

As if the order of importance regarding these is GAF First and own health second. Like, come on son.
Hahaa, yeah right?

If I'm at home, I would have to literally start the computer up, log in and open the browser and link to GAF.

While spitting up blood.

"Damn I got blood on my keyboard, oh GAF I have blood pouring out my mouth, should I call 911, what should I do? Keyboard ideas btw?"

livestOne

I mean i know your not a doctor but you could have at least attempted something if youre going to forgoe the hospital. i assume youre at least cleaning it when you shower daily but what about some gauze, bandages and antiseptic to cover that 4 inch gash exposed to open air.

This is basic stuff you learn from TV come on dude

Wag

His cat is eating him right now.

I'm sure he's ok. Most people who take the time to post a health inquiry on a forum like this usually have time to make it to the doctor.

luigimario

Banned
Doc here, yes go to the friggin ER. You will probably given some fluclox, a tetanus jab, some analgesia and get the wound dressed. Did you clean the wound after? Noticed any pus or discharge? Is it tender to touch? Is it red and warm? Have you had any fevers?

Geki-D

Banned
You sure you didn't twist your ankle as you fell? Maybe it didn't even hurt, or the pain in your knee distracted you? Maybe there was a sudden flexion in your ankle as you fell?

Go see a GP rather than going to ER to get it checked out.

bati

You sure you didn't twist your ankle as you fell? Maybe it didn't even hurt, or the pain in your knee distracted you? Maybe there was a sudden flexion in your ankle as you fell?

Go see a GP rather than going to ER to get it checked out.

Yeah, this looks like a standard bruise/twisted joint. I'd still get it checked out just in case, especially if some kind of metal pierced the skin.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Depends, what's your plan? Go see a doctor? Your leg will be fine. Wait it out and update us eager followers on NeoGAF? Leg will be amputed. Your choice, maybe make a poll?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
His cat is eating him right now.

I'm sure he's ok. Most people who take the time to post a health inquiry on a forum like this usually have time to make it to the doctor.
OP was literally here 15 mins after you posted that, so i am sure he is still prioritizing.

It's either the leg or the terrible haircut. One of them has to go.
Can i go for option 3, the smile?

Let me get this straight: You've got an open wound which hasn't closed, which is swollen and puffy, have had cold-like symptoms for a week (I'm assuming a fever is in there), and you've got blood pooling in your foot from internal bleeding, and you are wondering if maybe you should go see a doctor?

I just checked WebMD. It's cancer.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've watched 14 seasons of Grey's Anatomy and the people who wait too long to go to the ER are always the worst case scenarios.

Antoon

Banned
Thanks all for the advice and support. I didnt go to the doctor before because it felt like a normal injury, sure it hurt for a few days, but it didnt seem like I needed stitches. I assume the doc would have given me some anti-biotics or something, which wouldnt do anything.

Its the swelling that I noticed today that freaked me out.

You see, since Im sick for a week now I wear wooly socks 24/7, so I dont take them off while Im home all this time (I sleep with them too). I was careful with showers since I didnt want the wound to be wet again. But thats what I guess has caused the swelling (just a theory), since I tied some swim trunks above and around the wound so that less water can get there (this looked like a mini umbrella). So maybe I tied it up a bit tigher than before last night, and maybe I stayed in the shower also a bit longer, so this could have caused the swelling I see today. The swelling itself doesnt hurt, its just blue/purple.

About Neogaf vs Doctor topic, I thought this was the quickest way to get some info (in case there are experts here, I mean this forum is pretty diverse), since Ive been lurking here for years I used to see some threads on medical advice, so I figured why not? I didnt want to leave the house today since Im sick, so of course asking the internet seemed like an easier option. Also, maybe sharing this could help others in the future, (the more you know about leg trauma :star emoji:.

I will try to get to ER tomorrow, but damn, this flu is killing me already. Fighting 2 battles at once sucks, not to mention theres work lol

Anyway, will keep you all updated on this exciting journey.

Last edited:

Antoon

Banned
Doc here, yes go to the friggin ER. You will probably given some fluclox, a tetanus jab, some analgesia and get the wound dressed. Did you clean the wound after? Noticed any pus or discharge? Is it tender to touch? Is it red and warm? Have you had any fevers?
I only used some alchohol on it on the first day. Then I covered it with bandages for the following 3 nights in case of bleeding. I didnt do anything to the wound since then, its just crusty and kinda itchy around it. Also I notice standing up hurts a bit (after lying down for about 10 min), but the pain goes away after a few min.

Last edited:
Well I dunno, I've been having all the common flu symptoms so far : coughing, some runny nose, headaches. Is that also staph infection symptoms?
Why are you asking me? I'm not a doctor.

Staph infections can present with flu-like symptoms and given that you've got an open wound that you are obviously not keeping clean. Which is more likely? That you have a second, completely unrelated sickness that coincidentally started at the same time, or that one caused the other? Anything is possible, which is why you need to see a doctor to make sure.

Geki-D

Banned
lol Don't you live in Japan? Is ER even open on saturday, there? Don't you just have a GP?

Also, next year get your flu shots.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
YvY6TUi.jpg

"You see, since Im sick for a week now I wear wooly socks 24/7, so I dont take them off while Im home all this time (I sleep with them too). I was careful with showers since I didnt want the wound to be wet again. But thats what I guess has caused the swelling (just a theory), since I tied some swim trunks above and around the wound so that less water can get there (this looked like a mini umbrella). So maybe I tied it up a bit tigher than before last night, and maybe I stayed in the shower also a bit longer, so this could have caused the swelling I see today. The swelling itself doesnt hurt, its just blue/purple."

Impotaku

LOL seriously people overreact at anything, fucking amputation LOOOL

You gashed your leg op, the redness is not surprising at all. Keep an eye on the size of the redness If the redness keeps spreading then you may have a problem and will need to see a doctor as it might be infected. Just keep it clean with antiseptic ointment. The purple marks are bruising which is no surprise either if you fell. Not uncommon to swell either.

You'll be fine, jesus does nobody learn first aid anymore?

Last edited:

luigimario

Banned
I only used some alchohol on it on the first day. Then I covered it with bandages for the following 3 nights in case of bleeding. I didnt do anything to the wound since then, its just crusty and kinda itchy around it. Also I notice standing up hurts a bit (after lying down for about 10 min), but the pain goes away after a few min.
Bro go get it checked. You defibitely need a tetanus shot, maybe others. And if there is an infection you dont want it spreading to your bones. Put the laptop away, go get it checked.

That looks like no big deal to me. Some of the responses here are baffling. The wound looks fine at this stage. No sign of infection, but it’s a low quality picture. The swelling and purple areas are dependent blood from the injury. You don’t need to go to the ER unless it’s oozing pus. Just make an appointment with your PMD.

Top Bottom