• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will my leg be amputated?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
On the first day of this fresh new year I got this nasty wound from trying to get on a train platform.

This is the wound on the 1st day.

02929b943083d084b91a4901b4c94b83

It is right below the knee area, and its been swollen and pretty painful for the first 4 days. I didnt seek any professional help because I thought it would heal on its own.
So its been 11 days now and the wound is pretty much the same, the wound is just covered by that bloody crust. But what kinda freaked me out today is that I found the lower parts of the leg are swollen too.

dae145a9fed0f46baf40541da03ef0f0

It feels very puffy and there is that purple trace.

4b8070dde0c9bcbe6f2ed3307bba13b5

1ce89f94c149eb52efca65f8ee446624

And here is the other side, it has less of that purple marking.

a8ec27a13b8948c9848a5dbb493d2626

So I'd like to ask Neogaf if this is normal or I should go to ER as fast as possible (its also not that easy since I have a cold for over a week now).
Thank you for your time.

You must heal daily 3 times a day with hydrogen peroxide, iodine and water by 10 minutes.

And if is possible take amoxicillin 500 mg 1 each 8 hours for 5 days.

the color purple is ecchymosis is normal, with 7 days will take off.

Did you have tetanus´s vaccine ?

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Your foot and ankle look like they have a bad sprain or something. I try to avoid the doctor but I would have gone if the swelling wasn’t related to the injury and I just started swelling up. Pretty bad open wound, you can care for that but I’ll leave a scar whereas with stitches it is less noticeable. Also without stitches it might open up or get infected.

But yeah bit the bullet and seek medical attention/stim pak

Your foot and ankle look like they have a bad sprain or something. I try to avoid the doctor but I would have gone if the swelling wasn’t related to the injury and I just started swelling up. Pretty bad open wound, you can care for that but I’ll leave a scar whereas with stitches it is less noticeable. Also without stitches it might open up or get infected.

But yeah bit the bullet and seek medical attention/stim pak

That can’t be sutured. Well, it could but not without excising the wound, which would be quite unusual.

Last edited:

Wag

The ad on this thread is telling me you need to take Sublocade.

One of the side effects is premature death, so it’s a trade off.

I’m no doctor so I would differ to you, I don’t even know what excising the wound means without looking it up lol

Well, I’m an orthopaedic surgeon, so I stand by my assessment based on the low quality pictures of the wound and also having not examined him. I operate on an average of 1-2 open fractures a month and seeing this in the ER would make me laugh at 11 days post injury. The initial wound care was suboptimal, but I see absolutely no reason for antibiotics. They’re heavily overprescribed. He should get a Tdap if he hasn’t had a tetanus shot within the last 10 years, but he can get that from his primary care physician.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You shouldn’t sleep with your socks on OP. Your feet need to breathe sometimes too.

Geki-D

Banned
Well, I’m an orthopaedic surgeon, so I stand by my assessment based on the low quality pictures of the wound and also having not examined him. I operate on an average of 1-2 open fractures a month and seeing this in the ER would make me laugh at 11 days post injury. The initial wound care was suboptimal, but I see absolutely no reason for antibiotics. They’re heavily overprescribed. He should get a Tdap if he hasn’t had a tetanus shot within the last 10 years, but he can get that from his primary care physician.
Hope OP follows up. I want to know if they were laughing at the ER for how ridiculous it is or angry for wasting their time.

Hope OP follows up. I want to know if they were laughing at the ER for how ridiculous it is or angry for wasting their time.

Well, I was being a bit facetious. I would laugh if the ER actually called me for a consult. Actually, my PA would laugh cause it would be a waste of his or her time. In actuality, the ER would never call for an ortho consult for something like this. They’d send him to my office for outpatient follow up. And then I’d send him home with a bit of reassurance. And an ace wrap.

Corrik

They are not going to amputate your leg. Time and rest are the cures. Seeing a doctor cannot hurt of course.

Antoon

Banned
Hey, everyone. So I am back from my the long trip to ER at last. And it was....*drumroll*... exactly how I predicted: no bone fracture, so I was just given a few anti-biotics to take for a week (also paracetamol and ibuprufen). They didnt even do ultrasound. I'm glad they took my blood tests, though the doctor didnt say anything about the blood results, which I assume is all fine. The only thing that worried me is that he had to call some other doctor and his nurse to the office to have a look at the weird swelling, and they didnt really check anything. The other doc just had a glance for a sec and said nothing is needed, I would assume an ultrasound would at least help make things clearer.

But anyway, looks like Im on some new pills from now on, so the next stage will be in a week.

Sorry for the not so exciting follow up on the story as I could definitely see this turning more dramatic, but this is isnt over yet. Toes crossed the leg can make it :messenger_die:

Antoon

Banned
You shouldn’t sleep with your socks on OP. Your feet need to breathe sometimes too.
Yeah, I know. Its because I get immediate colds from even the slightest feeling of cold I have to use socks just in case, my feet are my weakness, lol what if the zodiac is actually true, since Im Pisces.

Texas Pride

Banned
On the first day of this fresh new year I got this nasty wound from trying to get on a train platform.

It is right below the knee area, and its been swollen and pretty painful for the first 4 days. I didnt seek any professional help because I thought it would heal on its own.
So its been 11 days now and the wound is pretty much the same, the wound is just covered by that bloody crust. But what kinda freaked me out today is that I found the lower parts of the leg are swollen too.

So I'd like to ask Neogaf if this is normal or I should go to ER as fast as possible (its also not that easy since I have a cold for over a week now).
Thank you for your time.

You should have already gone to the ER. If there's lingering redness and swelling it could be infected. If you ever question your health you always err on the side if caution.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It looks like a bruise. But I admire the fact that you use a gaming forum and blurry pictures to do medical diagnostics.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Well I dunno, I've been having all the common flu symptoms so far : coughing, some runny nose, headaches. Is that also staph infection symptoms?
Its good that you eventually went but OP seriously, don't make a thread on GAF and don't be like ''Oh but i have this, so it can't be that, right?'' You ain't a doctor and especially at things like these i am legit baffled why you thought any of that was a better idea than just going to the doc.

You are literally your own worst enemy regarding this.

Antoon

Banned
lol Don't you live in Japan? Is ER even open on saturday, there? Don't you just have a GP?

Also, next year get your flu shots.

Nah, I was living in Osaka only for a year, now Im in Estonia. ERs are open here 24/7, and its great that they are free to most people. Its a tiny country so its easier to have this sytem here, even public transport is free.

"My leg is leaking pus, is red and swollen, and I'm feverish. Should I doctor GAF?"

"Eh, not going to a doctor. Antibiotics don't work."

Last edited:
I went through something similar. I went to a bar and left blackout drunk. Made it home and the next day I thought I broke my leg since I couldn't walk. I had a nasty bruise like yours for over a week. It went away, I got an MRI and nothing was broken. Go get it checked out just to be sure. Don't talk about it over a message board, talk with a doctor.

juliotendo

Thank you for your time.

Never ask for medical opinions on the internet and also never research medical topics on the internet. You’re not going to understand what you’re looking for nor what you’re reading. You will make uninformed assumptions and perhaps bad decisions. That’s why there are properly trained doctors that can assist you and diagnose issues.

MC Safety

Good for you for seeking medical advice from the video game message board community.

I also recommend praying the demons away.

Antoon

Banned
So I thought of making an update on the situation. I took anti-biotics for 2 days, they said to take for 6 days, but it felt unnecessary since the pain stopped.

Day 19 The leg isnt blue anymore

d8d2eba297dd025dfd9e16a57bd4ef8b

Day 22 the healing process is evident with the flaking

d893ba730fc9eb60c98574d194efe4e5

Last edited:
So I thought of making an update on the situation. I took anti-biotics for 2 days, they said to take for 6 days, but it felt unnecessary since the pain stopped.

BAD BAD BAD IDEA. If you have an infection, stopping now can lead to a worse infection. You always always always finish your antibiotics prescription. Even though it may look and feel better, 2 days is not enough for the antibiotics to kill off the bacteria. It is definitely necessary to finish your antibiotics prescription.

Last edited:
BAD BAD BAD IDEA. If you have an infection, stopping now can lead to a worse infection. You always always always finish your antibiotics prescription. Even though it may look and feel better, 2 days is not enough for the antibiotics to kill off the bacteria. It is very much necessary to finish your antibiotics prescription.
Listen to him OP, he knows what he's talking about. Always finish your antibiotics prescription. Thought this was taught all over the world...

Futaleufu

I'm not a doctor but...

Why did you stop taking antibiotics? The area around the injury is still swolen and there is a weird coloration to the right of it (second pic)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
OP you know if you don’t finish the antibiotics course they become resistant to it.

Also next time it happens go the docs don’t just post here first.

Also just put salt on your cuts it stings but the pain means it is working

Antoon

Banned
BAD BAD BAD IDEA. If you have an infection, stopping now can lead to a worse infection. You always always always finish your antibiotics prescription. Even though it may look and feel better, 2 days is not enough for the antibiotics to kill off the bacteria. It is definitely necessary to finish your antibiotics prescription.
Listen to him OP, he knows what he's talking about. Always finish your antibiotics prescription. Thought this was taught all over the world...
I'm not a doctor but...

Why did you stop taking antibiotics? The area around the injury is still swolen and there is a weird coloration to the right of it (second pic)
OP you know if you don’t finish the antibiotics course they become resistant to it.

Also next time it happens go the docs don’t just post here first.

Also just put salt on your cuts it stings but the pain means it is working

Well, my reason for stopping ealrier is because anti-biotics weaken the immune system like crazy (my mom once said anyway). So since I was kinda fragile after a cold for 10 days, I thought its best to drop the anti-biotics asap so I dont catch another one (its -10 here where I live).

Well, my reason for stopping ealrier is because anti-biotics weaken the immune system like crazy (my mom once said anyway). So since I was kinda fragile after a cold for 10 days, I thought its best to drop the anti-biotics asap so I dont catch another one (its -10 here where I live).

OP you tripled the time it would normally take for this to heal.

Antoon

Banned
I'm not a doctor but...

ITs still a bit swollen, but the pink areas are supposed to be the 'fresh' new skin, its very itchy which is a good sign I hear.

Iorv3th

They don't unless you abuse them and take them for everything. You should absolutely finish your dosage. Not finishing it 'weakens your immune system' by making the infection stronger.

Last edited:
I dont think anti-biotics would speed things up that fast lol The wound was just kinda deep I guess for it to heal fast

Stitches, and it would have been faster without stitches because you wouldn't have had to deal with the infection.

If you get another cut like this throw on some neospori, a bandaid, and go to the doc.

Last edited by a moderator:

badblue

Just because your leg doesn't hurt does not mean there is no infection. My wife has done this multiple times, and each time she had to back to the doctor and ended up on a new antibiotic prescription because she didn't finish her previous one as directed by the doctor and the infection came back.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
So I thought of making an update on the situation.
You could have just followed this post by a surgeon who advised you what to do.

I took anti-biotics for 2 days, they said to take for 6 days, but it felt unnecessary since the pain stopped.
5e8a80ea_picard-facepalm.gif
Seriously, what is up with you and doing the exact opposite of what one logically expect one would do?

• I have a nasty wound. Lets not go to the doctor, but lets make a thread on GAF with the clickbait text ''Will my leg be amputated''
  • You get prescribed antibiotics. It says to do that for 6 days. But what is your train of thought? Lets only do that for 2 days since ''the pain stopped and it was unnecessary. Also my mom said that anti-biotics weaken the immune system. Oh and i am kinda fragile after a cold for 10 days, so i thought it was best to drop the antibiotics so i don't catch another one.''
Are you doing a bizarro attempt at trolling? Why is your train of thought twice now GAF first, my own health second?

Please finish the cure and if that does not improve, follow the surgeon's post in the top and go to a doctor. Again.
comeon.png

Top Bottom