• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will my leg be amputated?

I'm not an infectious disease doctor, but I really think the antibiotics thing is probably overblown a bit. We're told on the one hand that we're overprescribing antibiotics and that's causing resistance cause they're everywhere. On the other hand, we are told we need to complete the entire dosage of antibiotics or we're going to develop resistance. I understand the need for eradicating the infection, but I'll bet that we are often prescribing these things for longer than necessary. And the bottom line is that antibiotics are simply overprescribed.

With that said, the treatment duration of antibiotics is often arbitrary. 3, 5, 7, 10, 14 days is common. 6 is weird. Never heard of that. However, we have cut down the duration of antibiotics for treating many different infections such as UTI. and for preventing infection The antibiotics haven't really changed. We just figured that people were taking them way too long. So what gives? Still need to complete those antibiotics till the very last pill? 5 days duration are now cut down to 3. I've heard some people say single dose of levaquin is enough for a simple UTI. So was that extra 2 days just contributing to resistance? Probably. Post-operative antibiotics are now mandated to be stopped within 24 hours. That's a SCIP measure. Used to be that surgeons were prescribing these things for much longer. I'm guilty of this, too. If my patient happens to get admitted to the hospital, I'll give the 24 hours of IV antibiotics and stop it at 3 doses. If he gets sent home, I send him with nothing. Force of habit.

I tell the ER docs not to give suspected infections antibiotics if I get a chance to catch them before they do it. But a good number of them will do a knee jerk reaction and say, oh shit, possible septic knee, that's an emergency, let's give him antibiotics right away and then call Ortho to come handle this mess. Too often we're shotgunning the infection with broad spectrum antibiotics. Come in with a suspected infected joint or abscess? Please, let's get a diagnosis before we start throwing antibiotics at it. Let me get a culture or sample before you screw it up. and kill the bug before I can figure out what it is and what it responds to.

That said, I still don't see an infection in any of the pictures posted. I see a wound that wasn't really treated that well, but is going to heal fine and form a scar.

Antoon

Banned
You could have just followed this post by a surgeon who advised you what to do.

5e8a80ea_picard-facepalm.gif
Seriously, what is up with you and doing the exact opposite of what one logically expect one would do?

• I have a nasty wound. Lets not go to the doctor, but lets make a thread on GAF with the clickbait text ''Will my leg be amputated''
  • You get prescribed antibiotics. It says to do that for 6 days. But what is your train of thought? Lets only do that for 2 days since ''the pain stopped and it was unnecessary. Also my mom said that anti-biotics weaken the immune system. Oh and i am kinda fragile after a cold for 10 days, so i thought it was best to drop the antibiotics so i don't catch another one.''
Are you doing a bizarro attempt at trolling? Why is your train of thought twice now GAF first, my own health second?

Please finish the cure and if that does not improve, follow the surgeon's post in the top and go to a doctor. Again.
comeon.png

Yeah, but like why should I trust something so blindly? The pills are like the double edged sword, they always have some side-effects. Since NeoGaf has a variety of people here, maybe someone knows about homeopathy or something less invasive to treat such conditions :messenger_smiling:

Antoon

Banned
I'm not an infectious disease doctor, but I really think the antibiotics thing is probably overblown a bit. We're told on the one hand that we're overprescribing antibiotics and that's causing resistance cause they're everywhere. On the other hand, we are told we need to complete the entire dosage of antibiotics or we're going to develop resistance. I understand the need for eradicating the infection, but I'll bet that we are often prescribing these things for longer than necessary. And the bottom line is that antibiotics are simply overprescribed.

With that said, the treatment duration of antibiotics is often arbitrary. 3, 5, 7, 10, 14 days is common. 6 is weird. Never heard of that. However, we have cut down the duration of antibiotics for treating many different infections such as UTI. and for preventing infection The antibiotics haven't really changed. We just figured that people were taking them way too long. So what gives? Still need to complete those antibiotics till the very last pill? 5 days duration are now cut down to 3. I've heard some people say single dose of levaquin is enough for a simple UTI. So was that extra 2 days just contributing to resistance? Probably. Post-operative antibiotics are now mandated to be stopped within 24 hours. That's a SCIP measure. Used to be that surgeons were prescribing these things for much longer. I'm guilty of this, too. If my patient happens to get admitted to the hospital, I'll give the 24 hours of IV antibiotics and stop it at 3 doses. If he gets sent home, I send him with nothing. Force of habit.

I tell the ER docs not to give suspected infections antibiotics if I get a chance to catch them before they do it. But a good number of them will do a knee jerk reaction and say, oh shit, possible septic knee, that's an emergency, let's give him antibiotics right away and then call Ortho to come handle this mess. Too often we're shotgunning the infection with broad spectrum antibiotics. Come in with a suspected infected joint or abscess? Please, let's get a diagnosis before we start throwing antibiotics at it. Let me get a culture or sample before you screw it up. and kill the bug before I can figure out what it is and what it responds to.

That said, I still don't see an infection in any of the pictures posted. I see a wound that wasn't really treated that well, but is going to heal fine and form a scar.

Thank you. I thought 6 days is also pretty weird. I guess because the doctor who gave them to me was pretty young (he looked like in his early 20's), so he probably looked something up on google before giving me the prescriptions. I took them twice a day for 2 days and then stopped as I felt better, so yeah it has been a week since I stopped tkaing them and it didnt get worse.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Yeah, but like why should I trust something so blindly?
Your common sense was not tingling? You thought it was smarter to ask GAF first?

The pills are like the double edged sword, they always have some side-effects.
Depends on the person, really.

Since NeoGaf has a variety of people here, maybe someone knows about homeopathy or something less invasive to treat such conditions :messenger_smiling:
Or, maybe, just maybe... you should have considered your health first instead of GAF.

what tag you talking about?
It is that your OP and the things you did are so stupdenous that it reads like you want to have a tag for stupidity. Usually you get tags either for legendary posts/threads or stupid posts/threads.

Antoon

Banned
Day 38

Its been a long while, but the wound getting crustier and also smaller.

6290a3f98e559c80f145f561b67d3d8e

It's still annoying and kinda itchy around the area. So I wonder if I should peel that crust off. Very tempting as I am guessing this could increase the healing process when that dead cover is gone. Thoughts?

b6f7732b59ff742b2ed2cee49f410790

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You could open the wound back up and increase the scarring damage by tearing the scab off prematurely like that. Be patient and let your body do its thing.

Redneckerz

You could open the wound back up and increase the scarring damage by tearing the scab off prematurely like that. Be patient and let your body do its thing.
Can that shit be under a spoiler? Disgusting.

At the same time it should be obvious this isn't a geniune thread.

Antoon

Banned
It just feels like the scab is creating some sort of a hole which I fear can make the scar seem like a mini canyon.

Kinda like this:
18mjdi6zncywrjpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redneckerz

Or you could you know, not visit this thread, knowing the nature of it?
Or you could just spoiler that shit?

Also, what is not genuine to you?
The fact that you ask this question already proves it.

But alright ill bite. Given how most of this thread has been so far, with you ignoring the obvious, do i really have to believe that ''It's still annoying and kinda itchy around the area. So I wonder if I should peel that crust off. Very tempting as I am guessing this could increase the healing process when that dead cover is gone. Thoughts?'' is a geniune question to ask? Again asking GAF what to do?

Like, are you really that concerned about a crust that you have to ask GAF what to do with it? Leave it alone and don't think about it, and let your body do its thing.

EDIT: Dude, what the actual fuck.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Yeah, but like why should I trust something so blindly? The pills are like the double edged sword, they always have some side-effects. Since NeoGaf has a variety of people here, maybe someone knows about homeopathy or something less invasive to treat such conditions :messenger_smiling:

You are either trolling, or you are simply not very bright.

"Guys! Should I go to the doctor for this obviously infected wound? Or let it fester?"

"But I don't WANNA use the antibiotics!! They lower my defenses!! BTW, what's some good homeopathy to use for this?"

Seriously, please tell me you are trolling.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

You are either trolling, or you are simply not very bright.

"Guys! Should I go to the doctor for this obviously infected wound? Or let it fester?"

"But I don't WANNA use the antibiotics!! They lower my defenses!! BTW, what's some good homeopathy to use for this?"

Seriously, please tell me you are trolling.
Given how he isn't addressing criticism and only posts here for updates and on top of that has troubles using the [ spoiler ] tag i'd say the question of honesty is one that can be answered in a rather straight-forward fashion.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember being in nursing school and that was one of the test questions. Should you finish your antibiotic medication? Yes, you should, until it runs out. I realize there's a growing concern here, but the medical field is teaching their students these things. I'm glad healthcare and I didn't work out. I would go insane with what the experts say and how people truly feel.

Geki-D

Banned
Man, this thread. You got a man scratching his knee, people telling him to waste a hospital's time to look at it urgently, thinking he'll kill himself by stopping his antibiotics early. Then the guy says he wants to use magic instead to cure it ("it" being nothing) and comes back saying he wants to tear the scab off because he's afraid it'll make a hole in his leg.

Insanity and bad advice everywhere. This thread is a testament as to why should go see your GP rather than ask for medical opinions on a forum.

Last edited:
Man, this thread. You got a man scratching his knee, people telling him to waste a hospital's time to look at it urgently, thinking he'll kill himself by stopping his antibiotics early. Then the guy says he wants to use magic instead to cure it ("it" being nothing) and comes back saying he wants to tear the scab off because he's afraid it'll make a hole in his leg.

Insanity and bad advice everywhere. This thread is a testament as to why should go see your GP rather than ask for medical opinions on a forum.

for the record I said its nothing and to ignore it. I was hoping to circle back here to find the leg amputated though.

Antoon

Banned
Or you could just spoiler that shit?

The fact that you ask this question already proves it.

But alright ill bite. Given how most of this thread has been so far, with you ignoring the obvious, do i really have to believe that ''It's still annoying and kinda itchy around the area. So I wonder if I should peel that crust off. Very tempting as I am guessing this could increase the healing process when that dead cover is gone. Thoughts?'' is a geniune question to ask? Again asking GAF what to do?

Like, are you really that concerned about a crust that you have to ask GAF what to do with it? Leave it alone and don't think about it, and let your body do its thing.

EDIT: Dude, what the actual fuck.

Why are you such a weenie? I bet you havent seen your own blood if youre that squeamish.

Redneckerz

The post is not NSFW and the thread is not about your sensibilities.
Why are you such a weenie? I bet you havent seen your own blood if youre that squeamish.
On the contrary. I have seen enough gore to know that you need to spoiler that shit.

Unlike you i care about the NSFW rule of this site and people may see that at work. Hence NSFW.

All you have are assumptions, whilst for your character there is observed evidence.

Hudo

How dare you! I have played Trauma Center. I know what I am talking about, son.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Just a quick note on completing the dose - if you don't finish the dose and the infection survives it will be more resilient to the drug, and if passed on that resilience will spread, thus increasing the rate at which infections become drug-resistant.

Just a quick note on completing the dose - if you don't finish the dose and the infection survives it will be more resilient to the drug, and if passed on that resilience will spread, thus increasing the rate at which infections become drug-resistant.

Err, yeah but I see no evidence of infection really and at this point, taking antibiotics only creates more resistance. Of course, if I’m wrong, I’d be happy to offer my services to amputate free of charge. Standard Medicare reimbursement for a below knee amputation for the surgeon is $947.83. Pretty good deal, if you ask me.

Antoon

Banned

I've always wanted to use this gif
MtZ9N.gif

Antoon

Banned
So day 50... and the giant scab finally fell off!

ff7db7f470c68bed9648a378a86b0381

I am a bit upset that I couldnt find it anywhere, since I didnt even notice it was gone. Wouldve been a kinda neat souvenir, but I guess Im already getting a scar from this.

e432613e9c7b75a9ff1c68b7df1da5b1

So the hole is pretty deep as I expected. I am leaving it to dry without any plasters for now.

d4996c5012c53b4652f80a1924c606a2

Top Bottom