• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will P.C. ever “replace” consoles?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
PS4 1TB = $281.95 (Amazon)
8 GB RAM
AMD Graphics - 1.8 TFLOPS (quick google search)

For best bang/buck, let's go for a desktop. The cheapest one I could find on Dell's site:

Inspiron Small Desktop $329

1 TB HD (same as PS4)
4 GB RAM (Half PS4)
Intel UHD Graphics 610 - 211.2 GFLOPS (source)

No. An off the shelf Dell PC is not giving me the same gaming value as a PS4 for the same price.

You’re just pissin’ in the wind, bro. PC fanboys deep down know they’re full of shit with these price comparisons. But, they do it anyway.

“PS4 is useless.” More like that $1,000 card you bought is useless because graphics won’t advance until the next console cycle arrives. Ain’t no one making games for high end PCs any more.

Last edited:
You’re just pissin’ in the wind, bro. PC fanboys deep down know they’re full of shit with these price comparisons. But, they do it anyway.

“PS4 is useless.” More like that $1,000 card you bought is useless because graphics won’t advance until the next console cycle arrives. Ain’t no one making games for high end PCs any more.

I don't agree with the whole PC gaming is cheaper argument in the sense that building a cheap, budget PC is a waste of time and money IMO. So trying to build a PS4 equivalent will never be worth it but games are factually cheaper. Consoles are getting better with the sales but if you have even an ounce of gumption and an internet connection you can probably find a cheap CD key and no I'm not talking about piracy.

Also, since games are cheaper I'm willing to try a wider variety of games which makes me happy.

Bryank75

Banned
I actually feel it will go the other way.... although you see some 'strimers' moving to PC that is due to their profession and the fact that this generation you needed a decent PC to do a nice overlay etc.

Last year console gaming was growing at 14% despite Xbox being rather slow to move hardware and it being 5 years into the generation. PC for comparison was around 4%.

Consoles offer the best performance per dollar / currency of choice. The more people that buy into consoles, the more leverage a console producer has to get better performance per dollar.
This economies of scale type phenomenon can never exist in PC gaming and thus cripples its potential value.

The systems, vendors and features are too fractured on PC... you now have to go to Steam, Epic store, Ubisoft launcher, EA launcher, GOG etc etc just to get your games, then you need discord or a comparable service for chat and friends. Then you have Windows as an OS, which is just a shit-sandwich.

There is no platform holder for PC, therefor PC has nobody willing to create high-end AAA exclusives for it, like PlayStation or Switch, it also has nobody trying to make deals or defend against other platform holders making games exclusive and taking them away from PC.

PC culture is also fundamentally different to console gaming, consoles build their identity around the games they have as exclusives or that have a history with the platform holder.... eg. Tekken, Final Fantasy, GTA, GT, Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear, Persona, Souls are usually linked to PlayStation in the mind of the consumer.
Whereas PC gamers are focused on showing off their hardware and the game is just a vehicle for this showboating. Basically a 'mine goes to 11' type attitude.

A few people before me said that the 'plug and play' element of consoles is gone but I contest this point, just because it has diminished in the last generation and a half does not mean it will continue that way.
When PlayStation had the lead and even up to the beginning of the PS3, the UI was always focused squarely on gaming and downloads were minimal or not required, this is coming back with SSD and faster download speeds along with pre-load and selecting content.
It still has many advantages over PC. Particularly not depending on windows, which makes me want to throw my laptop out the window every time a popup appears. Updates on PC seem more intrusive and useless and errors are several times daily....
We have had lots of stories this year of games just not working right on PC at launch... I really don't have to expand on that.

Anyway, that is more or less how I feel on the subject.

Can you emulate virtually every 2D arcade game, NES, SNES, Genesis, Turbo Grafx 16, GB, GBA, and Playstation 1 game with a PS4? Does literally every game you bought since the 80s still run on your PS4 without having to buy some shitty "remastered" re-release? Does the PS4 have constant game sales where you can buy basically any game at 80% off within a month of release?

An off the shelf Dell PC is an exponentially better gaming value than a PS4. No one factors in the backwards compatibility, scope of software, and price of software when they talk money.
You're moving the goalposts now.

Hardware-wise a cheap i3/Intel iGPU/4GB RAM PC is a really bad option, no matter how many DOS games you can play on that. OG XB1 is far better, let alone the PS4.

And speaking of DOS games:

Modern 64-bit PCs cannot even execute 16-bit code natively, since Windows 64-bit doesn't allow it.

Anyway, let's be honest here: PC gaming is worth it only if you go mid-range as a bare minimum ($800-1000 just for the tower). You don't need to follow the PCMR route to 9900k/2080 Ti, no. Mid-range is the most VFM, always have been.

Buying a $300 PC is a joke and you know it. It's more honest to recommend XB1 Slim & Game Pass to people that don't have a lot of money to build a decent PC, unless you really want them to hate PCs.

It's like recommending a shitty $50 Android smartphone to someone who wants a phone. I know people who hate Android because they tried el cheapo smartphones.

dirthead

Banned
You're moving the goalposts now.

Hardware-wise a cheap i3/Intel iGPU/4GB RAM PC is a really bad option, no matter how many DOS games you can play on that. OG XB1 is far better, let alone the PS4.

And speaking of DOS games:

Modern 64-bit PCs cannot even execute 16-bit code natively, since Windows 64-bit doesn't allow it.

Anyway, let's be honest here: PC gaming is worth it only if you go mid-range as a bare minimum ($800-1000 just for the tower). You don't need to follow the PCMR route to 9900k/2080 Ti, no. Mid-range is the most VFM, always have been.

Buying a $300 PC is a joke and you know it. It's more honest to recommend XB1 Slim & Game Pass to people that don't have a lot of money to build a decent PC, unless you really want them to hate PCs.

It's like recommending a shitty $50 Android smartphone to someone who wants a phone. I know people who hate Android because they tried el cheapo smartphones.

I never said PC hardware was cheaper than console hardware. I said PC hardware is a better value.

I can't have a TV without a PC hooked up to it. Smart TV interfaces blow. With the PC I get everything I want plus I can game on it too with an xbone controller. Logitech sells decent wireless keyboards, trackball mice and an OK illuminated combo so I can easily see the thing in a dark room. The only reason for consoles is exclusives. So for me, a console can never replace the PC. It just becomes this annoying thing I have to buy if I want to play some of the exclusive games. The switch is pretty sweet though because my kid can mess around with it without needing the TV.
Not just exclusives, to game on a pc you need to be an extra enthusiast to deal with everything that comes with it you need to know about computers inside out, what ram to take what speed what GPU what CPU what motherboard all the shit, the normal gamer around the world just wants a console he knows he just switches it on and voila he starts playing, the trick is nowadays consoles are becoming annoying aswell the always online shit the downloading shit the updating shit the dlc shit the no disc exchanging shit, all this crap is what grinds my gears in consoles today theyve become semi pc and pc just got even worse! I just want to play I don't want to be an engineer before I start my game!

Been pc gaming for over a decade. Anyone who says pc gaming is as easy, and plug in play, as console gaming is straight up lying to you.

I been pc gaming for two decades and can tell you it depends on the game. With old games your absolutely right, I still have my Nascar 2000, Megaman X4 and Metal Gear Solid 2 and I can still run them on my Windows 10 but need some serious patching. With new games however, all it takes is install your game from a launcher and adjust the settings in game to your preference and that is it, not much different from a console.

HeresJohnny

lol no way. PC is still a nerd box even by nerd standards. You start talking to PC players and they're all "I jusht downloaded update 5.1.1 and it got rid of the erratic framesh and I can now run it at 240 framesh per shecond."

No. I just want to sit down and fucking play a game, not do a fucking forensic analysis on it.

Lanrutcon

Whereas PC gamers are focused on showing off their hardware and the game is just a vehicle for this showboating. Basically a 'mine goes to 11' type attitude.

This is a pretty silly view, but I'll bite.

I'm currently playing Monster Hunter World on the PC. It's a pretty good game. It's the first Monster Hunter game I've ever played that runs at 60 fps, which I appreciate. It looks pretty good, but the visual quality is kind of smudged. This is because of the AA the game has, so I turned it off and just upped the resolution I'm running the game at to compensate visually. I messed around with a few resolutions until I found the sweet spot between 1080p and 4k while still running the game at 60fps on Ultra. I'm pretty pleased.

After playing a while initially I was having trouble with M&KB, so I connected my Xbox controller...but ended up using my PS4 controller instead due to the placement of the thumbsticks. I'm playing from my couch, which is really the best way to spend an evening with the game.

This version of Monster Hunter is very similar to the previous ones on the handheld systems, and they haven't really added a lot of features that people have requested. I went looking and found that there's actually a really active modding community for the game. I downloaded a mod that allows me transmog whichever armor I want, something that Capcom still hasn't added officially. I also downloaded mods to place the NPCs in better locations in town and display monster hitpoint bars. It like the game much better with the changes I've made. I see there's a mod to allow timed events to be played whenever you want. I'm sure that will come in handy.

Playing MHW has made me think about the old games, especially the ones I missed. It didn't take me long to find an emulator capable of running those old games, and I look forward to exploring them at better performance, visual quality and controls than their original platforms. Plus it's harder to throw my pc out the window when I cart due to the terrible hitboxes from the 90s.

It's really not all about graphic showboating, you see.

Particularly not depending on windows, which makes me want to throw my laptop out the window every time a popup appears. Updates on PC seem more intrusive and useless and errors are several times daily....

This makes you sound pretty terrible with technology. Educate yourself, take control of your laptop and configure things properly. I'm hoping you at least know how to Google those issues. Regardless of which platform you support for gaming, your statement is embarrassing. It is 2019.

Not just exclusives, to game on a pc you need to be an extra enthusiast to deal with everything that comes with it you need to know about computers inside out

You really don't. I swear, some of you think every PC gamer is some kind of Technomancer who spend 7 hours a day redoing the cables in his box. Pay someone to build that shit for you once, use some canned air to clean it every few months, rest of the time your PC is just like a PS4. Press a button, open a game, play.

I actually feel it will go the other way.... although you see some 'strimers' moving to PC that is due to their profession and the fact that this generation you needed a decent PC to do a nice overlay etc.

Last year console gaming was growing at 14% despite Xbox being rather slow to move hardware and it being 5 years into the generation. PC for comparison was around 4%.

Consoles offer the best performance per dollar / currency of choice. The more people that buy into consoles, the more leverage a console producer has to get better performance per dollar.
This economies of scale type phenomenon can never exist in PC gaming and thus cripples its potential value.

The systems, vendors and features are too fractured on PC... you now have to go to Steam, Epic store, Ubisoft launcher, EA launcher, GOG etc etc just to get your games, then you need discord or a comparable service for chat and friends. Then you have Windows as an OS, which is just a shit-sandwich.

There is no platform holder for PC, therefor PC has nobody willing to create high-end AAA exclusives for it, like PlayStation or Switch, it also has nobody trying to make deals or defend against other platform holders making games exclusive and taking them away from PC.

PC culture is also fundamentally different to console gaming, consoles build their identity around the games they have as exclusives or that have a history with the platform holder.... eg. Tekken, Final Fantasy, GTA, GT, Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear, Persona, Souls are usually linked to PlayStation in the mind of the consumer.

A few people before me said that the 'plug and play' element of consoles is gone but I contest this point, just because it has diminished in the last generation and a half does not mean it will continue that way.
When PlayStation had the lead and even up to the beginning of the PS3, the UI was always focused squarely on gaming and downloads were minimal or not required, this is coming back with SSD and faster download speeds along with pre-load and selecting content.
It still has many advantages over PC. Particularly not depending on windows, which makes me want to throw my laptop out the window every time a popup appears. Updates on PC seem more intrusive and useless and errors are several times daily....
We have had lots of stories this year of games just not working right on PC at launch... I really don't have to expand on that.

Anyway, that is more or less how I feel on the subject.

What's a AAA exclusive to you? A open-world TPS with stealth sections and set-pieces? I would consider Total War a AAA exclusive. Dota 2? Arma?

Seriously asking - what's a AAA exclusive to you?

bilderberg

I been pc gaming for two decades and can tell you it depends on the game. With old games your absolutely right, I still have my Nascar 2000, Megaman X4 and Metal Gear Solid 2 and I can still run them on my Windows 10 but need some serious patching. With new games however, all it takes is install your game from a launcher and adjust the settings in game to your preference and that is it, not much different from a console.
for half a year on my ryzen system i was getting just awful performance. Tried just about everything you can think of to trouble shoot the problem, turns out win 10 has a well documented issue with standby memory that will pretty much make all your games hitch and stutter. I still have to empty standby memory before any game i play because this issue still hasn't been fixed. There's this, any one of a hundred little quirks any person could potentially run into because of pc hardware.

Bryank75

Banned

I'm currently playing Monster Hunter World on the PC. It's a pretty good game. It's the first Monster Hunter game I've ever played that runs at 60 fps, which I appreciate. It looks pretty good, but the visual quality is kind of smudged. This is because of the AA the game has, so I turned it off and just upped the resolution I'm running the game at to compensate visually. I messed around with a few resolutions until I found the sweet spot between 1080p and 4k while still running the game at 60fps on Ultra. I'm pretty pleased.

After playing a while initially I was having trouble with M&KB, so I connected my Xbox controller...but ended up using my PS4 controller instead due to the placement of the thumbsticks. I'm playing from my couch, which is really the best way to spend an evening with the game.

This version of Monster Hunter is very similar to the previous ones on the handheld systems, and they haven't really added a lot of features that people have requested. I went looking and found that there's actually a really active modding community for the game. I downloaded a mod that allows me transmog whichever armor I want, something that Capcom still hasn't added officially. I also downloaded mods to place the NPCs in better locations in town and display monster hitpoint bars. It like the game much better with the changes I've made. I see there's a mod to allow timed events to be played whenever you want. I'm sure that will come in handy.

Playing MHW has made me think about the old games, especially the ones I missed. It didn't take me long to find an emulator capable of running those old games, and I look forward to exploring them at better performance, visual quality and controls than their original platforms. Plus it's harder to throw my pc out the window when I cart due to the terrible hitboxes from the 90s.

And how long did you actually spend playing the game?

Is it really the same game that the good people at Capcom intended you to play with all these changes? I mean, it saves you time and makes the game easier.... so, it's a little like using a cheat cartridge?

This makes you sound pretty terrible with technology. Educate yourself, take control of your laptop and configure things properly. I'm hoping you at least know how to Google those issues. Regardless of which platform you support for gaming, your statement is embarrassing. It is 2019.

You really don't. I swear, some of you think every PC gamer is some kind of Technomancer who spend 7 hours a day redoing the cables in his box. Pay someone to build that shit for you once, use some canned air to clean it every few months, rest of the time your PC is just like a PS4. Press a button, open a game, play.
Ive been a pc gamer since DOS and windows 98 till today and anybody who says you don't need to be a need to play pc games is a liar! 80% of console gamers don't even know what framerate is, most of the shit about gaming is learnt through pc gaming because you deal with all this shit!

I've got friends and bros whove played on consoles for years and none of them know what FPS means what polygons or textures means what l.o.d means none of them ever care it's only me and my pc gaming history that cares and ruins the mood when I start talking about this stuff and this is why pcs will never be consoles!

for half a year on my ryzen system i was getting just awful performance. Tried just about everything you can think of to trouble shoot the problem, turns out win 10 has a well documented issue with standby memory that will pretty much make all your games hitch and stutter. I still have to empty standby memory before any game i play because this issue still hasn't been fixed. There's this, any one of a hundred little quirks any person could potentially run into because of pc hardware.

Well I guess user experience differs from person to person as well, I rarely experience any hitches from my games and when I do, vsync normally fixes that problem. For the most part though most of my games runs flawlessly, dare I say smoother than consoles since I get better frame rates (60+).

Last edited:

bilderberg

Well I guess user experience differs from person to person as well, I rarely experience any hitches from my games and when I do, vsync normally fixes that problem. For the most part though most of my games runs flawlessly, dare I say smoother than consoles since I get better frame rates (60+).
no one's experience is going to differ on consoles though. That's more important to most people than running their games at 60+ fps. This isn't me praising consoles, I haven't played anything on consoles in over a year, but it is what it is. And some pc gamers think they can just call console gamers idiots enough times because of reason x,y, or z and that'll crack the code on pc's replacing consoles. It isn't going to happen.

no one's experience is going to differ on consoles though. That's more important to most people than running their games at 60+ fps. This isn't me praising consoles, I haven't played anything on consoles in over a year, but it is what it is. And some pc gamers think they can just call console gamers idiots enough times because of reason x,y, or z and that'll crack the code on pc's replacing consoles. It isn't going to happen.

You make a valid point. Console gamers will keep enjoying their games at 30 fps, while experienced PC gamers will continue enjoying the same games at 4k and 144+ fps and with other enhancements.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

"graphics won't advance" - what does this even mean? Resolution surely matters. Frame rate surely matters. Input lag and latency and variable refresh rates surely matter. My VR headset is certainly way clearer and has a higher refresh rate and tracking capabilities than a PSVR.

I'm not saying there isn't a case to be made for consoles, I still own consoles and will continue to buy them because the games I want to play are on them, but let's not be fucking stupid about this. RDR2 runs like a slideshow at times on my PS4. I dealt with it and kept going, but I'm very much looking forward to the experience on my PC at fully native res and 60FPS. Maybe you have vaseline smeared all over your glasses or something, but even just higher resolutions and frame rates make those graphics way more advanced.

Shmunter

I suspect there is potential for trouble in paradise for PC gamers next gen. If this touted low level access to ssd on next gen is legit, I’m not sure how Pc’s can mimic such a feature.

Edit, should clarify.

I’m not technical but for next gen I assume SSD as a DMA device. A 3rd level of RAM where the CPU and GPU have direct read and write access unlike a PC where it is simply a fast storage device with all reads and writes going through the o/s file system.

console : 1. Processor cache -> 2. ram -> 3. ssd -> 4. storage
pc : 1. Processor cache -> 2. ram -> 3. storage

Pure uneducated speculation on my part.

Last edited:
what does that even mean?

tenor.gif

Jtibh

Banned
Buddy you must be very young cuz you would know that since nes times pc was always a luxury in households.
Now more than ever its becoming a relic a premium cuz at least for me i dont even use my laptop anymore other than write quotes and invoices.
All my browsing is done on phone all my movies shows are on my smart tv no need to torrent anything and all my games are on consoles.
Someone said it that consoles are watered down pcs and yes cuz of that we get to play all games on consoles unlike back than crysis or half life 2 or original doom etc.

Pc is a premium entertainment. The average household rather buys tablets than laptops desktops.
And lets not forget the biggest reason . Instant gratification. People want everything now and easy. No hasle just easy access to all entertainment.
And trust me. I went to the movies twice this month and sat in an almost empty room. No one wants to even drive by ticket stand in line for popcorn. Just hit media hub click netflix .
On the flip side i want to go more often to the theater as i can enjoy it without some dipshit kicking my seat or laugh at dumb shit lol.
Joker here i come.

Jtibh

Banned
No? I mean, it's not like there aren't already small, cheap PC:s or that they are difficult to use?

There are obvious advantages to both dedicated gaming consoles and PC:s, and to me it's just so much more appealing to play on consoles. Of course there's lots of people with the opposite opinion! But there are many, many others like me.

I get much more of a "gaming feeling" with a console. To me, a PC is first and foremost a work tool. I don't want to feel like I'm at work when I'm playing a game. I've been using both PC:s and consoles since the late 80's, I've built lots of computers and played a lot on them too. Still do sometimes, for the record.

As soon as you need to boot up and use Windows and use a mouse + keyboard, you've lost me. It's not as fun, convenient or appealing. Or when you need to fiddle around with settings, update drivers, download different downloaders to download and play games (...) + there's no physical media which is really important to me. I'm a collector + I want to be able to sell games I don't like or that I am tired of.

Plus the exclusives.

It's not like people don't understand that a PC gives you a ton more options! Mod support, upgradeable parts, plus you can use the computer for a million other things besides playing games.. but that's part of the problem to me. It detracts from the "feeling", from the complete gaming experience.

I bought GTA V on PC a couple of days ago. First, I had to download Rockstar Launcher, get an account, log in then download the game. Then when I booted it up, Windows Defender blocked the game from starting, so I had to fix some settings and make an exception for the .exe file. Then, when I finally got into the game, the resolution was set to 800x600. So I played around with the settings for maybe 15 minutes to optimize..

After that, I really didn't feel like playing anymore. Totally lost any inclination to play.

Sure, it's not always like that! When I play Skyrim through Steam, I just fire it up, no problem. But still, there's almost always something... some shit that just makes PC gaming less appealing than just popping in the disc and start playing. Oh, and being able to put the console in sleep mode and start the game right up in a couple of seconds is just too much of an advantage.

And even if there are small, cheap PC:s, you really can't buy one that is as small, cheap, quiet, looks as nice in your living room, is as powerful (relative to the price) as the PS4 pro with games as good looking as the Sony exclusives. Or the X1X for that matter. Especially not if you include a controller and Windows. At least not easily or conveniently. No, you can't.

So, why would PC:s "replace" consoles? It's obvious that there are plenty of people that prefer both options.

Bruh. The ps4turbo i want to chuck out of my living room . Loud ass shit fuck who ever designed it.
Boxx now thats more like it.
Ps5 better be the decibel of a mouse fart. Dont even care if it looks like a prolapsed asshole of some wanna be pornstar crack head

Last edited:

Meesh

I always felt Nintendo had the best position to resist a P.C "take over".

It's really one of the best scenarios or examples where it's not just about games, but what the hardware offers too and Nintendo always has a unique view on that front. The marriage of unique hardware and software combined shall stave off P.C armageddon.

sendit

Prefer gaming on PC. Consoles in terms of pure gaming provide a easier user experience. I don’t think PCs will replace consoles. However, gone are the days of custom hardware developed purely for consoles. Consoles are dumbed down PCs.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
No, there are plenty of times I've had to forgo using my controller because of lack of support or partial support (which may as well be lack of support). Especially with the indie library or games too complicated for controller support (Crusader Kings 2 for example). If you're playing off steam, you could buy a steam controller but then you have to also remap the different buttons (the only reason I've avoided the steam controller, too much hassle)

EDIT: Mostly what Stuart said. I'd rather keep it simple and stick to console most of the time (unless there's an extensive modding scene).

This is such a weird take. Do you want to play Crusader Kings 2? There's only one way to do it, on PC with a mouse and keyboard. Stick to console sure, but you can't play CK2. If I want to play a game on PC with a pad, I've been able to with little hassle, going back 10 years. Of course a game like CK2, or Starcraft 2, or Civ 6, is not something I want to play with a pad (although I played Civ with a Steam controller, it actually worked fine). Steam will often list games as "partial support" but I've never had a problem with any of them.

Last edited:

Zaffo

I suspect there is potential for trouble in paradise for PC gamers next gen. If this touted low level access to ssd on next gen is legit, I’m not sure how Pc’s can mimic such a feature.

Edit, should clarify.

I’m not technical but for next gen I assume SSD as a DMA device. A 3rd level of RAM where the CPU and GPU have direct read and write access unlike a PC where it is simply a fast storage device with all reads and wires going through the o/s file system.

console : 1. Processor cache -> 2. ram -> 3. ssd -> 4. storage
pc : 1. Processor cache -> 2. ram -> 3. storage

Pure uneducated speculation on my part.

Dude, next gen consoles are just gonna mount cheap SSD in order to stay in the 500 bucks range, while the marketing guy uses all kinds of spectacular buzzword to tell you that the game now loads fast.
It's going to be way faster than using a CPU choked box with a regular HDD for loading games, but nothing that you haven't already seen on a PC with a good SSD.

Last edited:
Never because of economic reasons

I don't buy this. I haven't gamed on console for awhile, but lets say you buy a decent gaming rig for $800 and another $200 for the monitor, for $1000 you're pretty much set for awhile. Now how much was a PS4 at launch? Lets assume $400, and then around mid generation refresh with a PS4 Pro another $400, that's not including the TV we got the same cost of a mid-range gaming rig for $800, this same logic also applies to Xbox btw. Now we talk games, most console games are around $50-60, same with PC games at launch, however PC games regularly go on sale from 50%-75% off, once you buy the game it's permanently linked to your account... forever. Console games are permanently linked to your account at least until... the next console generation. Meaning... if you're lucky they have some backwards compatibility option that allows to to go back to play those games, otherwise if they're like Virtual Console or whatever, you'll have to repurchase them again to play them on your new console. So assuming the PS5 is another $400 that will last you another 2-3 years before PS5 Pro comes out not to mention all the same games you have to repurchase... you spent way more than a gaming PC! The most you'll have to do with a PC is maybe purchase a new mid-range graphic card for $200-300 and you've upgrade for alot less than a console in the long run.

petran79

Banned

I think it is the opposite. I have 20-30 year old pc games, with cases and manuals. I can play and enhance them on a new pc, either via fan patches and installers or by downloading/buying the GOG version. Games that shaped the identity of PC long before those franchises.

Ask how many ps4 players had to sell their beloved and attached PS1, PS2, PS3 games and consoles for financial reasons to buy the next gen console. Same for Nintendo and MS, despite the BC.

I would not want to go through that experience, selling a beloved game for the next one.

Fitzchiv

I can see the two things converging at some point, especially with the advent of streaming. Shorter term the ability to stream locally from a powerful unit to multiple displays in the home via the LAN or home network, and latterly expanding outside the home. Then it would become about interface and customisation.

I think the thing that keeps consoles relevant is they're static in some terms, so there's the expectation you pop a game in or download it and it WILL work to an optimal level.

The reason gaming PC's as they stand will never replace consoles is because a large chunk of people, myself included, aren't bothered by that tinkering Vs convenience. I have a decent gaming laptop and a Xbx and to be honest the difference between them for me is the form factor and convenience.

Griffon

I love gaming on my PC. I also use it for so much more than just gaming, so it's a no-brainer really.

Consoles are machines with very limited OS that are alright at playing games, and awful at everything else. Feels like a waste of good computer parts.

You make a valid point. Console gamers will keep enjoying their games at 30 fps, while experienced PC gamers will continue enjoying the same games at 4k and 144+ fps and with other enhancements.
It's 10% of pc gamers infact 5% who enjoy pc games at 4k 144+FPS the rest suffer sometimes even more than consoles first of all to build a pc on par with a console is slightly expensive not sure about today but always at the start toiddle of a console life cycle, I remember I had a pentium 4 with 128mb ram and still games looked like ps2's

It's 10% of pc gamers infact 5% who enjoy pc games at 4k 144+FPS the rest suffer sometimes even more than consoles first of all to build a pc on par with a console is slightly expensive not sure about today but always at the start toiddle of a console life cycle, I remember I had a pentium 4 with 128mb ram and still games looked like ps2's

But you're not denying the possibility isn't there? That's the point, you can't say as much for consoles because it simply isn't possible to game at that power yet. Also building a pc comparible to a console isn't expensive at all these days, you're way out of the loop by quite a few years lol, you can build one fairly cheap, even less than a console if you look around for some deals. I believe there's one right now at Walmart for $350 for a rig more powerful than a PS4 pro. You might want to look into it if you're that outdated. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Consoles are just easier to use. Plug and play. Console main design always to play games. One off payment with consoles will last a good 5-6 years playing the latest games

Lanrutcon

Is it really the same game that the good people at Capcom intended you to play with all these changes? I mean, it saves you time and makes the game easier.... so, it's a little like using a cheat cartridge?

I chuckled a bit at "Cheat cartridge". Imagine living in 2019 and still thinking in terms of Game Genies. I think I'm having a conversation with someone who has all the tech savvy of my grandpa, which is probably the issue here.

I'm at 145 hours on MHW. If you play the game you'd know that people have been asking for transmog functionality since launch and Capcom only updated it partially with Iceborne. Meanwhile, PC gamers have it for months in full. I doubt Capcom intended for players to not look like carnival clowns in their game, so they're probably furious that PC players are enjoying an actual, functional transmog system. Or not, since they've officially stated they don't care. Mods are pretty cool. You should try them some time. If you can.

So...do you legitimately think PC gamers don't actually play their games? That's a pretty weird opinion, almost thread worthy. I've put in 72 hours into Breakpoint over the last 2 weeks. How much you do game?

Zaffo

unknown.png

While modding in all the quality of life stuff i've always wanted in those game and that Capcom has managed to implement only partially in Iceborne, the big "PC gamers spend more time modding their games than playing them" meme was a fun PC gaming community injoke, until uninformed console players started taking it seriously :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I'm 47, so here's an old skoolers perspective...

My PC is in my study with an upright chair, whilst my consoles are in my living room with a couch. I've got a 75" 4K tv in the living room which is brilliant for gaming but I'm not going to move the PC in there because you cant conduct a working day sending emails, inputting spreadsheets, etc reclined on a couch with the screen across the room, it feels all wrong.

But I do have a gaming PC. I upgraded two years ago, and actually shopping for a gaming PC felt all wrong too. Why do makers of high end PCs think that all their buyers are teenage edge lords? My gaming PC pulsates purple, cyan, green lights and its literally the most discreet one I could find! The design for gaming PCs is HORRIBLE and made for 12 year old boys, completely out of place in a traditional home. Alienware...? More like alienate your customers.

If this is sounding like an old man grumbling, let's get positive. I wanted to upgrade with a new gaming PC because I've always gamed on PC alongside my consoles. Neither can replace the other. Console games help me relax and let off steam on the sofa, PC games well... PC games have intellectually given me so much more.

Game designers for PC can utilise a far enhanced input device in the keyboard and mouse. I still remember that golden age as the 80s turned into the 90s when PC gaming really came into its own. Sim City, Populous, The Secret of Monkey Island, Wing Commander, Command & Conquer, Ultima Underworld, Syndicate…. incredible games that simply needed the PC set-up to work.

And it remains true today. What gamer would give up the thrill of laughing along with their friend on the sofa playing Mario Kart? And what gamer would give up the deep satisfaction of a victorious battle played out on the office desk in Total War?

As you get older in life you realise that things don't have to be 'superior' to one another, they can just be different and you are okay with that. PC and consoles, embrace both.

Sorry for the long one and if you made it to the bottom thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Top Bottom