• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will RDR2 come to PC?

Red Dead Redemption never got a PC port, from what I understand the game had a troubled development and would have just been too hard to port, that's fine, the ship has sailed, I no longer care.

But what I really want to know is will Red Dead Redemption 2 come to PC?

Seems odd if it never gets a PC port, certainly development has got to be going smoother? But it bothers me how Rockstar does this, not releasing PC ports at the same time as console releases and not even making it clear if one is coming.

And sometimes it takes a long time, it took almost two years for GTAV to come to the PC.

So do you think one will only come 6 months later like LA Noire, over a year later like GTAV or or not at all like RDR1?

It really bothers me not knowing, I feel like whatever I do I'm going to get screwed, if I go ahead and play it on PS4, it'll come to PC soon after, if I wait, it'll take over a year or not happen at all.

Why can't Rockstar just tell us if they plan on it?

I'd say a big fat yes for RDR2 on PC, they are aware of the money left on the table from the lack of the original RDR on PC. From what Ive heard as well the code for RDR was a nightmare, that might even explain some of the delays on RDR2, to make sure they get it right.

A month or so ago, a developer listed they'd worked on the PC version of RDR2. It's no confirmation or anything, but it's an indication something may be going on behind the scenes.

I'm definitely hoping for a PC-version too, and I don't see why it wouldn't happen. Seems like they'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if they stuck to just the consoles.

It's probably just a question of when.

But the problem is I got spoiled on RDR's ending thanks to me waiting for a PC port that never came and EVERYONE talking about the game after it came out, I'd like that to not that happen again with 2.

Grinchy

Banned
Of course it will. They'll wait until PC owners who can run their game have already bought copies for consoles since they purposely didn't announce a PC release, then they'll put it out so those people double-dip.

Justin9mm

I have a PS4 but I prefer to play things on PC for obvious reasons.
A Pro or an X and 4K HDR TV is not going to be a massive difference in experience unless you have a high end gaming rig. I have a mid tier gaming PC, Pro and X and I don't get the argument, it's optimized for console and the gap between these consoles and a PC is not that far apart imo.

Larxia

A Pro or an X and 4K HDR TV is not going to be a massive difference in experience unless you have a high end gaming rig. I have a mid tier gaming PC, Pro and X and I don't get the argument, it's optimized for console and the gap between these consoles and a PC is not that far apart imo.
There still is a huge difference in the Console VS PC experiences.
About the "gap", the obvious one will be 60 FPS on PC, when you are used to playing everything at 60 or higher, 30 can feel annoying, it's playable, but it's disturbing enough.
The other main reason is not in term of gap, but in term of choices and freedom regarding how you want your experience to look like / feel like. I hate how GTA V looks on console because it has a ridiculous horrible depth of field, and you can't turn that off on consoles, same with other settings like motion blur, chromatic aberration, film grain etc... These are all sorts of settings that someone can really dislike, and on most console games you are forced to deal with them, while on PC you just enable what you like and disable what you dislike. I have a GTX 1080 but I don't even turn everything to the max on GTA V, not because I can't, but because there are many effects that I don't like and don't want.
Then there are also other reasons like paid online on console, modding etc...
It's not always a reason of "gap", it's more about convenience, freedom, own experience according to your preferences.

thelastword

Banned
Maybe not in 2018, but it probably will drop there in 2019 or when the new consoles get the remastered version at 60fps...

I guess it will be RDR2 PX4/XBOX in 2018 and then RDR2-Enhanced Edition PS5/XB2/PC in 2020...most probably.

Justin9mm

I
There still is a huge difference in the Console VS PC experiences.
About the "gap", the obvious one will be 60 FPS on PC, when you are used to playing everything at 60 or higher, 30 can feel annoying, it's playable, but it's disturbing enough.
The other main reason is not in term of gap, but in term of choices and freedom regarding how you want your experience to look like / feel like. I hate how GTA V looks on console because it has a ridiculous horrible depth of field, and you can't turn that off on consoles, same with other settings like motion blur, chromatic aberration, film grain etc... These are all sorts of settings that someone can really dislike, and on most console games you are forced to deal with them, while on PC you just enable what you like and disable what you dislike. I have a GTX 1080 but I don't even turn everything to the max on GTA V, not because I can't, but because there are many effects that I don't like and don't want.
Then there are also other reasons like paid online on console, modding etc...
It's not always a reason of "gap", it's more about convenience, freedom, own experience according to your preferences.
I get what you're saying but I'm only talking about a current AAA game now enhanced for the Pro and One X. Unlike GTAV, RDR2 will have the option of performance mode to play 1080p or higher at up to 60fps. Sure you can't customize all settings but I'm confident RDR2 will be optimized and presented better than 5 year old GTAV. I'm happy to play the game as Rockstar had intended without needing to tweak every setting. I think you'll find that most people don't want to change everything as you mentioned even on PC. Yes it's nice to have that ability but you shouldn't have to tweak a game that much.

AlexxKidd

There still is a huge difference in the Console VS PC experience....

Actually in this particular case its about playing the game or not playing the game. I could see holding out for Monster Hunter if playing on a pc is that important to you, because Capcom announced a pc port from the get go and Monster Hunter is not a story based game. In this case its a little more questionable if you already own a PS4, not only can the game be spoiled for you, and not only do you not have a pc date, you dont even have a pc announcement. I expect the game to come to pc at some point, but who the hell knows when and thats just my speculation. Why exactly do you own a PS4 if not for situations like this one? And if its for the PS4 exclusives, wouldnt you run into the same issues playing those that you claim youll have with rdr2?

Larxia

I

I get what you're saying but I'm only talking about a current AAA game now enhanced for the Pro and One X. Unlike GTAV, RDR2 will have the option of performance mode to play 1080p or higher at up to 60fps. Sure you can't customize all settings but I'm confident RDR2 will be optimized and presented better than 5 year old GTAV. I'm happy to play the game as Rockstar had intended without needing to tweak every setting. I think you'll find that most people don't want to change everything as you mentioned even on PC. Yes it's nice to have that ability but you shouldn't have to tweak a game that much.

I really doubt RDR2 will be 60 fps on consoles, I'm pretty sure Rockstar will push the tech / graphics instead of framerate, that's what they've always done, no matter the power available.
About the "presented better than old GTA V" I do think that GTA V still looks really good, what I only complained about were some post effects like depth of field, and things like that are still used commonly even on today games. I wouldn't call turning off a few settings "tweaking a game that much", when you are used to PC it's pretty basic, deep tweaking would be more about using 3rd party tools and such in my opinion.
Again I'm not saying the experience on console will be terrible or whatever, but I totally get why someone would want that comfort and convenience that the PC gives you, when you are used to it it's hard to change to the "locked" experience that you have on console, and that's why, when there is a doubt, many people would rather wait for a PC version.

Actually in this particular case its about playing the game or not playing the game. I could see holding out for Monster Hunter if playing on a pc is that important to you, because Capcom announced a pc port from the get go and Monster Hunter is not a story based game. In this case its a little more questionable if you already own a PS4, not only can the game be spoiled for you, and not only do you not have a pc date, you dont even have a pc announcement. I expect the game to come to pc at some point, but who the hell knows when and thats just my speculation. Why exactly do you own a PS4 if not for situations like this one? And if its for the PS4 exclusives, wouldnt you run into the same issues playing those that you claim youll have with rdr2?
Yes you would run in the same issues with PS4 exclusives, but the difference is that with PS4 exclusives you are 100% they won't come to PC, so you just have to deal with it. With RDR2 there is a chance, even if it's just a doubt, it's enough for people who prefer PC to want to wait, because they know they will enjoy their experience more if they can play it on PC, even if it's a year or two later.

It's really not just about power, you could have a most powerful console ever and it would be the same, it's about habit, preferences, options etc...

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I really doubt RDR2 will be 60 fps on consoles, I'm pretty sure Rockstar will push the tech / graphics instead of framerate, that's what they've always done, no matter the power available.
About the "presented better than old GTA V" I do think that GTA V still looks really good, what I only complained about were some post effects like depth of field, and things like that are still used commonly even on today games. I wouldn't call turning off a few settings "tweaking a game that much", when you are used to PC it's pretty basic, deep tweaking would be more about using 3rd party tools and such in my opinion.
Again I'm not saying the experience on console will be terrible or whatever, but I totally get why someone would want that comfort and convenience that the PC gives you, when you are used to it it's hard to change to the "locked" experience that you have on console, and that's why, when there is a doubt, many people would rather wait for a PC version.

Why wouldn't it run 1080p 60fps? Witcher 3 for example was able to, running at a variable resolution performance mode with minimum 1080p and up 1800p 60fps on a one X on a 4K TV. We do get these options now on the One X and Pro. I'm also a PC gamer and I know what you mean. But even on PC, Developers have decided on their default settings for a reason as they believe this is how the game is best intended, I don't touch half the things you mentioned when playing on my PC, you turning off these settings seem to be your issue, who says it looks better or is a better experience? You're talking about film grain and chromatic abberation for example, these are pretty nitpicky settings.

Rayderism

I figure that since PS4 and XBOX are essentially just closed-ended PC's, it's pretty much a given that RDR2 will get a PC version at some point. Maybe a year or two later (due to rampant piracy on PC), but eventually. I mean, XBOX exclusives already get PC versions, and while I know RDR2 isn't exclusive to XBOX, it can't be that hard for them to port the XBOX version to PC and give you all the PC-centric tweakable settings in the process, if they so desire.

Concerns about performance aside, I like to replay my library from time to time, and I am not interested in buying this or really any game twice. I'd rather buy it once on PC, then in ten years when I feel like playing it again I can just do it instead of having to keep an old console around, find an old console, or hope it has decent BC support.

Justin9mm

Concerns about performance aside, I like to replay my library from time to time, and I am not interested in buying this or really any game twice. I'd rather buy it once on PC, then in ten years when I feel like playing it again I can just do it instead of having to keep an old console around, find an old console, or hope it has decent BC support.
Well that definitely makes sense, I've never been a nostalgic visitor of my games library myself.

Well that definitely makes sense, I've never been a nostalgic visitor of my games library myself.
I understand, some people prefer new experiences all the time, and while I enjoy new experiences I also like to relive them, especially when there's a new way to do so. For instance, replaying F-Zero GX in VR or replaying Metroid Prime on the train with GPD Win. I'd just like to know that when I can install steam on my smartwatch in 2030 that I can boot up RDR2 at no additional cost and enjoy the old west projected directly into my brain.

Edit: Those gamecube games are poor examples since they're emulated, but it was more about demonstrating why I like going back to old games.

Last edited:

Larxia

You're talking about film grain and chromatic abberation for example, these are pretty nitpicky settings.
Well these aren't nitpicky for me, I can't stand these.
These are just gimmick post process effects that are popular for some reasons this gen, and they just ruin the visuals.
Cinema has been trying forever to get rid of such problems, and 3D, which is free of those by nature, is now adding them to look more "cinematic".

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
8c6677d9-f0a7-48ba-9359-b8abd312433d.gif

They'll wait for suckers like me, I'll buy it on Xbox One X and then the eventual PC release just like GTAV.

Last edited:

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I wonder how hard\easy a RDR1 port to PC would be now that it is running on a x86 computer (XBone).

klosos

its when not if , if you remember the steam game sale leak from a few days ago , i believe GTA5 on PC sold just over 12 million copies. Thats a hell of a lot of money and the money men from Take two really like money. My prediction this time next year for RDR2 release, or a bit later in the year if the new consoles come in 2019.

Last edited:

Arbogast

Neo Member
Of course it will and it'll happen just like with GTA V, slow release cycle on whatever available platforms starting with consoles, slowly increase fidelity making people want to buy the game again, until it releases on PC in 2019 in its peak.

No, not for a long while anyway. It doesn't have a financially sustainable or viable model to exist on PC. GTAV has sold 90 million units, only 12 million of that is to PC, and I'd wager at least 80% of those sales are to players strictly wanting GTA Online.

PC is not a priority to them, it's simply an "if we get to it" kind of platform so I wouldn't bet on it for several years minimum.

Redshirt

Banned
I'd be surprised if it didn't. Real question is whether that leaked RDR remaster for PC is a real thing.

No, not for a long while anyway. It doesn't have a financially sustainable or viable model to exist on PC. GTAV has sold 90 million units, only 12 million of that is to PC, and I'd wager at least 80% of those sales are to players strictly wanting GTA Online.

PC is not a priority to them, it's simply an "if we get to it" kind of platform so I wouldn't bet on it for several years minimum.

I don't think this is accurate. Is that based on the Steam leak?

Last edited:

baphomet

I don't think this is accurate. Is that based on the Steam leak?

It's complete fucking bullshit. Everything in that post. The idea that even 12 million is some small amount of sales not worthy of time is fucking ridiculous.

He also doesn't seem to realize with 90M split between 5 separate versions, that the 15+ million on PC is pretty much an equal split with the other versions.

The Skull

It 100% will do. I just hope it's not too long after console release. I'd expect minimum six months, but realistically at least a year :cautious:

VulcanRaven

I'm pretty sure it will come but one year after the console versions are released. I don't expect them to even mention the PC version before they are released. That way they get the PC players who can't wait to buy it for consoles and then they will buy it again for PC.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Rockstar can afford to delay the PC version, up to a year or more. They know no matter what, PC gamers already own the console version will just buy another copy to get that sweet 4k 60fps advantage.

Pretty sure PC gamers won't boycott Rockstar for the delay.

AlexxKidd

It's complete fucking bullshit. Everything in that post. The idea that even 12 million is some small amount of sales not worthy of time is fucking ridiculous.

He also doesn't seem to realize with 90M split between 5 separate versions, that the 15+ million on PC is pretty much an equal split with the other versions.

Uhh, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. No need to react that aggressively toward him and call everything in his post "complete fucking bullshit," you sound like a battered wife defending your husband. I believe it will come to PC at some point myself, but that's just me talking out of my ass. DynamiteCop! has every right to say "No, not for a long while anyway" because based on history (the only thing we have to go on) Rockstar has NEVER, EVER to this day put Red Dead Redemption on PC - for whatever reason you want to say they haven't done it, THEY HAVEN'T DONE IT.

Further, it took them how long to release GTAV on PC after the console version? News flash it wasn't exactly the very next day. So he certainly can make the claim "PC is not a priority to them, it's simply an "if we get to it" kind of platform so I wouldn't bet on it for several years minimum" based on Rockstar's history and the fact that no PC version has even been ANNOUNCED, much less given a date.

Don't defend Rockstar so vehemently on this, if anything you should be calling them out. Like I said, I BELIEVE it'll come to PC, but if so why not give a time frame or at least come out and say it will eventually? The only reason I can think of is because they want PC players to double dip. Now, is that what you're trying to sit here and defend?

Whether or not Dynamite's numbers are correct is irrelevant, it's hard to argue against PC not being a priority. Because if it was, you'd have the dame day and date with consoles, or actually, you'd have it BEFORE consoles if it was a "priority" just by sheer definition. So no, PC is not a priority for them at all.

baphomet

Uhh, you need to wake up and smell the coffee. No need to react that aggressively toward him and call everything in his post "complete fucking bullshit," you sound like a battered wife defending your husband. I believe it will come to PC at some point myself, but that's just me talking out of my ass. DynamiteCop! has every right to say "No, not for a long while anyway" because based on history (the only thing we have to go on) Rockstar has NEVER, EVER to this day put Red Dead Redemption on PC - for whatever reason you want to say they haven't done it, THEY HAVEN'T DONE IT.

Further, it took them how long to release GTAV on PC after the console version? News flash it wasn't exactly the very next day. So he certainly can make the claim "PC is not a priority to them, it's simply an "if we get to it" kind of platform so I wouldn't bet on it for several years minimum" based on Rockstar's history and the fact that no PC version has even been ANNOUNCED, much less given a date.

Don't defend Rockstar so vehemently on this, if anything you should be calling them out. Like I said, I BELIEVE it'll come to PC, but if so why not give a time frame or at least come out and say it will eventually? The only reason I can think of is because they want PC players to double dip. Now, is that what you're trying to sit here and defend?

Whether or not Dynamite's numbers are correct is irrelevant, it's hard to argue against PC not being a priority. Because if it was, you'd have the dame day and date with consoles, or actually, you'd have it BEFORE consoles if it was a "priority" just by sheer definition. So no, PC is not a priority for them at all.

You seem to be confused. I'm not defending anything, least of all Rockstar. Red Dead isn't great, I could give literally no less fucks if it does or doesn't come to PC. But using your logic PS4/One were also not a priority for Rockstar.

Calling someone out for posting complete fucking bullshit, when it is in fact complete fucking bullshit, isn't an attack. It's calling out the rampant misinformation that runs wild on gaf these days.

You're the one who seems awfully defensive when literally nothing I posted was to or about you.

Last edited:

How many Pro and X enhanced titles are offering a 60fps option? That to me is a deal breaker, so until the console providers take frame rates seriously and not just push the visuals because it's all about marketing I will never use a console as a main system ever again. It's also ridiculous how Rockstar can get away with double dipping but they do and I am part of the problem (GTA V).

AlexxKidd

But using your logic PS4/One were also not a priority for Rockstar.

Exactly, they weren't. Glad you understand the definition of priority. They prioritized the PS3 and 360 versions. But I wonder if the fact that the PS4 and Xbox One were not out yet played into that? Maybe? Perhaps?

Calling someone out for posting complete fucking bullshit, when it is in fact complete fucking bullshit, isn't an attack. It's calling out the rampant misinformation that runs wild on gaf these days.

You're the one who seems awfully defensive when literally nothing I posted was to or about you.

You keep saying it's "complete fucking bullshit," yet not exposing it? What is complete fucking bullshit about it? I assume his numbers? You can't say his opinion, because as I stated, his opinion is very justified. Let us all in it on the bullshit.

You seem to be confused. I'm not defending anything, least of all Rockstar. Red Dead isn't great, I could give literally no less fucks if it does or doesn't come to PC.

This is interesting because you specifically chose to come into a thread very clearly titled "Will RDR2 come to PC?"

Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder about who is exactly posting the "complete fucking bullshit" here...

bufkus

Yes. Rockstar knows exactly what they are doing. They want people to double dip by buying the console versions first then a definitive PC version later.

Elenchus

Banned
You seem to be confused. I'm not defending anything, least of all Rockstar. Red Dead isn't great, I could give literally no less fucks if it does or doesn't come to PC. But using your logic PS4/One were also not a priority for Rockstar.

Paracelsus

Two years later, with support for DX13 only and minimum requirements being GTX1380, after they made a billion off six year olds playing Red Dead Redemptionline.

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah, probably in the same way as GTA V.

Release it on Ps4/Xb1, sell millions
Re Release it on Ps5/Nextbox, sell even more millions
Bring it to PC, sell millions to PC only gamers and then some additional millions to people that played it on console but will double dip for increased PC performance and mods.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if rockstar does the same thing they did with GTAV.

RDR2 for PS4/XBO then a year later they re-release for PS5, Next Xbox and PC with better graphics so everyone and their grandma will eventually double dip. I'll definetly wait for 2 years after release, if there's no PC Version (or announcement) until then, I'll buy it for PS4.

Top Bottom