• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Star Wars:ROS bomb?

Petrae

Disney Star Wars still makes a shit ton of money— if just doesn’t make all of the money. Some fans are gone forever (like me, as I’m only watching Disney Star Wars on YouTube when RedLetterMedia reviews the films), but many will likely be curious to see how this all ends.

“Bomb” will only be a relative term.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
29ukhmq23pz21.png

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It has Star Wars in the name so no.

MisterHero

this is where i was at before TFA. then Han happened. then General Leia happened. then R2 under a sheet happened. then Admiral Ackbar happened. then Luke happened.

now, i fear it.

not gonna watch them ruin the Emperor.
Harrison Ford wanted out. He got a good leading role and made fucking bank. He got what he wanted, so I'm happy for him.

Carrie unfortunately passed away. They missed a chance to reunite the three in TFA but it's just gone now. I'm not going to be for or against anything because someone died.

But Mark loved being Luke. Watch any video if him interacting with fans. There is no way I would deny that man to play such a heroic character. He didn't even interact with the new cast so it's not like Luke could give them his personal endorsement.

What a weird, stupid, tragic production this trilogy was.

gatti-man

A billion WW would have to be considered a bomb for Star Wars. Especially for Disney since so much of SW future is on this film.

Going from 2 billion to a 1 billion is losing half its money from the 1st to the 3rd movie. Thats a huge loss for Disney. And at this point I have to imagine the budget of this movie must be in the 300-400 million range. All the reshoots and reshuffling of the deck cost a lot of $$$.
No film costs 400 million to make. Stop being so emotionally invested in some films failure.

it won’t bomb. Probably do the same as TLJ. People always want to see the end plus the Emperor and Kylo are draws. To think it will bomb is to not think rationally.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The official line is “too much, too soon”. Yet they have no problem with endless Marvel films. Nowadays there are multiple Spider-Man movies coming out in a year. And they are hits. I don’t think market saturation is a reason that interest is declining.

The problem IMO is rushing the films. Each director got like 2 years to write and direct. there is only so much quality you can squeeze out of that stone.

JJ was rushed in writing the first movie and it set the foundation. IMO the aggressive production schedule meant the final product was undercooked in every case.

Not that it matters from a financial standpoint, they still will make billions from all this. But one wonders just how well regarded the ST will be in the future.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
No it won’t bomb, it’s Star Wars. Sadly the Rey character has killed this for me. She’s so poorly written, wooden, and flawless in every way. Nobody relates to some perfect character that has no struggles, no doubt, immediately masters everything and wins always. I don’t care about woke/sjw stuff, it can be annoying but it doesn’t ruin most films, but they seem to write female characters in these movies to be sort of mortal gods.

MilkyJoe

I haven't read the script leaks and don't want to know what they are.
But when it comes to Star Wars, if you are upset about the script, it just means that they didn't do what you wanted them to do with the characters.
That doesn't make it a bad film.

😂

mcz117chief

it will kill the franchise
That already happened with VII and VIII. The thing is that this mega creature won't die overnight but you can clearly see the fast decline. If IX makes less than VIII then Star Wars will be practically done.

So I guess you are actually right, this will make or break the franchise.

Last edited:
I watched every Star Wars movie at premiere day and bought tickets the day it was announced.
That was, until TLJ happened.
I skipped Solo and watched it at home (was a much better movie than TLJ though), and pondering if I do the same with RoS.

GymWolf

The last Star Wars movie was Solo. It lost an estimated 80 to 250 million dollars.
Yeah i was talking about the main series, my bad.

I still have to watch solo, on one hand you have glover-lando, but in the other hand you have the shitty mother of dragon who can't act to save his life...

MilkyJoe

Yeah i was talking about the main series, my bad.

I still have to watch solo, on one hand you have glover-lando, but in the other hand you have the shitty mother of dragon who can't act to save his life...

The main series you could say so too.

The cum knuckle shills will say "it still did over a billion dollars" to which anyone with half a brain will reply, well that's 800 million less than TFA and the home video sales were less than 40% of TFA. Again the shills will blame digital media, but digital media is not a post 2016 invention. "But it still did over a billion at the box office" Well, cockwombles, the last I checked you don't get your money back if you didn't like the movie.

In short people were not expecting a franchise killing cluster fuck when they bought those opening day tickets.

Last edited:
Why do they bring Lando back now, why not in the first film so he can have a buddy mission with his mate Han. Or even in the second film he could have been the guy that finn and rose go to find instead of it being some random dude we've never heard of. Now literally the only characters left for him to re-unite with are c3P0 and Chewbacca. Great.

Sterling88

The main series you could say so too.

The cum knuckle shills will say "it still did over a billion dollars" to which anyone with half a brain will reply, well that's 800 million less than TFA and the home video sales were less than 40% of TFA. Again the shills will blame digital media, but digital media is not a post 2016 invention. "But it still did over a billion at the box office" Well, cockwombles, the last I checked you don't get your money back if you didn't like the movie.

In short people were not expecting a franchise killing cluster fuck when they bought those opening day tickets.
Even if TLJ hadn't been a raging trash fire, there was no universe were it was going to get even close to touching the sort of numbers TFA did.

I don't care enough to watch it in theatres. I'm just going to listen to all the spoiler-casts and YouTube videos from people who's opinions I respect. If they say it's amazing I'll give it a go as a rental.

Sterling88

Of course, because hardly anyone went to see it twice and few people bought the video

'cause it was shit!
I was thinking more along the lines of TFA being the first new SW movie in a decade and the hype being absolutely insane compared to anything before it. I don't recall the hype leading into TLJ being anywhere close to the mainstream appeal of TFA. TLJ could have been the best movie in the world and it wouldn't have made as much as TFA.

MilkyJoe

I was thinking more along the lines of TFA being the first new SW movie in a decade and the hype being absolutely insane compared to anything before it. I don't recall the hype leading into TLJ being anywhere close to the mainstream appeal of TFA. TLJ could have been the best movie in the world and it wouldn't have made as much as TFA.

This is also true, the home video sales are the most telling. I saw TFA 4 times in the theatre & bought the Blu Ray, Rogue twice & the blu ray, TJL once was enough, never, ever ever, again - Solo? FUCK YOU, SOLO 🖕

Sterling88

This is also true, the home video sales are the most telling. I saw TFA 4 times in the theatre & bought the Blu Ray, Rogue twice & the blu ray, TJL once was enough, never, ever ever, again - Solo? FUCK YOU, SOLO 🖕
True, the video sales are probably the most telling sign there of people's feelings.

Though that's going to get harder and harder to judge in the future as streaming continues to take off, particularly with Disney+. I don't even remember the last blu ray I bought.

MilkyJoe

True, the video sales are probably the most telling sign there of people's feelings.

Though that's going to get harder and harder to judge in the future as streaming continues to take off, particularly with Disney+. I don't even remember the last blu ray I bought.

I only buy blu rays of movies you can watch over and over. Nothing recent other than Alita and Ready Player One, which on 4K HDR is a spectacle worth the ticket sticker price.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm expecting better than TLJ but worse than TFA. Not a bomba.

I also think it will pleasantly surprise a few people and be the best of the ST (although that's not really saying much).

drganon

Probably not. There are enough people out there who will watch anything star wars related and people who just want to see how the shit show ends to make a profit. I know personally I could care less about star wars at this point.

goldenpp72

The marketing for the movie deals so much in showing how much we care about these characters, yet I don't think anyone cares at this point aside just seeing it end.

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't think that it will bomb.

Absolute worst case scenario would that it makes less than a billion.

I could see Disney executives being unhappy with how much it makes but I feel like there is NO WAY this one is a catastrophic failure.

I think the movie will review poorly and will not even have the Rian Johnson defenders sticking up for it.
People who hated TLJ will probably see this one as better but not by much.
People who loves TLJ will probably see this one as being worse.

I think we'll only be seeing Star Wars shows on streaming sites and video games for a good long while after this.

After all that hype the sequel trilogy really didn't get going.
It did make a lot of money though so maybe they will do more.

pel1300

I don't think that it will bomb.

Absolute worst case scenario would that it makes less than a billion.

I could see Disney executives being unhappy with how much it makes but I feel like there is NO WAY this one is a catastrophic failure.

I think the movie will review poorly and will not even have the Rian Johnson defenders sticking up for it.
People who hated TLJ will probably see this one as better but not by much.
People who loves TLJ will probably see this one as being worse.

I think we'll only be seeing Star Wars shows on streaming sites and video games for a good long while after this.

After all that hype the sequel trilogy really didn't get going.
It did make a lot of money though so maybe they will do more.

I have a theory that they have given up on ROS and are pushing The Mandalorian to win back fans....not ROS.

The solution for ROS to be a success was to bring Luke back and kicking ass. That's what fans wanted in TLJ and were denied.

They aren't doing that in the marketing....and it gives me little confidence that the movie will do much to win back fans.

They seem to be trying to appease both TLJ defenders and TLJ haters...terrible strategy.

Almost nothing in the trailers have looked cool. They didn't even show the Knights of Ren leading me to believe they have a limited role....not like what JJ originally told us years ago.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I have a theory that they have given up on ROS and are pushing The Mandalorian to win back fans....not ROS.
IMO one will be used to market the other. get people watching Mando and have them getting more and more invested in the franchise. it's no coincidence that one of the ROS teasers was 60% old movies. the new characters have failed, all they have to go on is nostalgia at this point.

they should just get away from trilogies altogether, MCU showed how limiting that rather outdated model is. if you fail a movie in a run of 20, it doesn't matter.

streaming is probably the best option for them anyways. if you fail a film in a trilogy, you harm the overall trilogy. if you fail an episode of a tv show, people will just complain about that episode, then watch next week's. plus they can make way more money on a subscription model. 1 film a year @ $15 vs. 12 months sub @ $69.99

Javthusiast

Banned
I would love for it to make less than a bill, but no, cause main star wars title and last of the skywalker saga. Normies will want to see it.

Last edited:

C4lukin2

Banned
No way it bombs. It will make a billion worldwide even if it is complete shit.

And that is just theater box office.

After that it will do several hundred million in hotel rooms, then early digital sales, then blu-ray and dvd sales, then on Redbox and digital rentals.

And then the toy sales, the multi marketing with fast food chains, chips, colas, and more toys.

And so on. It is not like Terminator which has been dead in the water for 20 years. Even if the film fails expectations at the box office, the franchise is so huge that even a failure will be profitable.

nocsi

I went around spoiling plot stuff to my former bosses, they still don't care and are going to see it. So I think it won't bomb

C4lukin2

Banned
I went around spoiling plot stuff to my former bosses, they still don't care and are going to see it. So I think it won't bomb

Well that is a dick move

Cool if you want to be all in on spoilers.

But no, nobody likes the spoiler guy...

cryptoadam

Banned
No film costs 400 million to make. Stop being so emotionally invested in some films failure.

it won’t bomb. Probably do the same as TLJ. People always want to see the end plus the Emperor and Kylo are draws. To think it will bomb is to not think rationally.

If you add in marketing and reshoots and production costs it can be between 300-400.

From TFA Wiki

With a production budget of $306 million,[2] plus $175 million for marketing, printing and advertising costs,

And as far bombing I am talking in relative terms. The movie will make money and have a big opening, but its Star Wars not Gemini Man we are talking about. Disney is not looking for 750 Mill or 1 Bill, they are expecting 1.5 billion or more. We are talking about bomb in relation to being a Star Wars film. If it under performs compared to TLJ there is no way Disney will be happy.

MisterHero

Mad that we're in a time where a film could make a billion dollars and still bomb.
Having billions of dollars doesn't mean anything if you're a bad person or if it's a bad product.

Would RoS failing mean anything? 2D animation's high cost ceased itself, and lower tier live action IP like Tomorrowland already killed TRON and others. It seems to me they just have Disney/Pixar 3D, Star Wars, MCU, Avatar and a few more remakes, which will probably be enough if they keep going.

GV82

I’d love to ask ex Disney staff as recent as the past 5 years, whether it’s the theme park staff or whether it’s any other jobs connected to Disney such as the stores etc, I’d ask them “At their management meeting are they constantly asked to go see Disney made movies & told to encourage their friends and family to go see them too & to sway as any as possible on social media also.

(If so do they also get rewarded for it, like employee of the month style)

I need to know from someone who is willing to answer this question once & for all.

Not that I don’t trust their numbers, but it’s from the stories of the lengths they go through to make sure their films get noticed (thanks to stories from Kevin Smith & other celebs) extra attention & extra bums in seats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom