• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Starfield be more like Morrowind or Skyrim's style of exploration?

Fbh

It will be Skyrim.
They'll probably add some sort of "immersive" mode with reduced UI elements or changes like pointing you towards a general area instead of a specific location. But it won't really change the core guided experience, it will just make finding your destination slightly more annoying.

I played the exploration mode and it's well done, plus the eagle gives you a scan option when you're close to the area. Definitely more rewarding than just the marker on the map.
I played oddessy exploration mode...it was good but far from great. Of course they're just not talented of a developer, but you can deff tell some areas didnt have that form of play in mind.

Ezquimacore

Banned
It will be Skyrim.
They'll probably add some sort of "immersive" mode with reduced UI elements or changes like pointing you towards a general area instead of a specific location. But it won't really change the core guided experience, it will just make finding your destination slightly more annoying.
Tbh Bethesda games work pretty good with markers, the fun thing is what you find and what you do while you're in the journey to the marker. A 10 minutes trip becomes your whole playthrough for the day because of all the shit you discover.

Ev1L AuRoN

I would like it to be more like Skyrim, I'm hopping Bethesda will deploy better devs to take care of the technical part of the game, I really want a fluid and fun experience, specially in combat. Please no Fallout crappy combat system.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Tbh Bethesda games work pretty good with markers, the fun thing is what you find and what you do while you're in the journey to the marker. A 10 minutes trip becomes your whole playthrough for the day because of all the shit you discover.

This is so true. I hardly ever get to the marker I intended because I get sucked into so many other interesting things I find on the way. That's the magic of Bethesda games.

Mercador

This is so true. I hardly ever get to the marker I intended because I get sucked into so many other interesting things I find on the way. That's the magic of Bethesda games.
witcher-meme-side-quest-feature.jpg

anthraticus

Banned
Hopefully like Skyrim. I see no fun in reading tons of texts to just find and talk/deliver stuff to a NPC. Give me tons of combat.
Sounds like something like a Ninja Gaiden style game would be more to your liking. Something really focused on combat.

But when you have this big RPG a lot of the fun comes from figuring things out..the world, the systems... where to go, what to do, etc..

Not just playing a game of 'follow the directions/idiot marker' . It pretty much defeats the purpose of having all that if you're just gonna mindlessly follow these little markers around.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Sounds like something like a Ninja Gaiden style game would be more to your liking. Something really focused on combat.

But when you have this big RPG a lot of the fun comes from figuring things out..the world, the systems... where to go, what to do, etc..

Not just playing a game of 'follow the directions/idiot marker' . It pretty much defeats the purpose of having all that if you're just gonna mindlessly follow these little markers around.
Nah. Tons of maybe a little improved Skyrim combat still will do.

And figuring things out = becoming lost. Nah, thanks...

Last edited:
I think a whole less handholdy style like Morrowind, BotW, and Elden Ring would work well with the atmosphere of exploring space. Like it could have a heavy focus on a log book (“Captain’s Log” anyone?). That being said it’s highly unlikely and there’s probably gonna be loads of markers.

As long as I can turn off the markers appearing above people heads it won’t bother me much though.

With the success of elden ring many people are praising its open world requiring you to explore and utilize context to complete quest. With starfield being bethesdas next game who I still consider the best in open world game design, with their more recent games they have fell into more modern open world conventions. Their games are magical to explore but they are more guided than they used to be. Do you expect / want starfield to go back to the context clues of exploration or stay guided in the sense that skyrim was where you got an icon pointing you where to go?

TTOAttPlTpaFh0HRqJbPa2bhvlj3-LQcQm_ugpJx038.png
Hopefully we can choose.

Top Bottom