• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Activision+MS deal force Sony's hands on the fees associated towards cross-platform play ?

reksveks

I don't think it's going to happen but could we see more games with cross-platform play out of this deal? This only came about cause I saw this

- if the ratio of Sony to MS becomes 50%/50% in terms of the top multiplatform games dlc/mtx, the calculation ends becoming broke even, there is no revenue loss going to happen.
- MS might refuse to play ball with that and say that Cross-platform play on Warzone between Xbox/PC + PS platforms isn't available until that fee is removed.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
People are starting to complain about cross-play, so it's possible it might get phased out in general as the Xbox numbers rise.

MS has definitely heard about the complaints, since it's being voiced by Halo fans. Activision is also one of the most aggressive in terms of anti-cheat stuff.

Lognor

Banned
I don't think it's going to happen but could we see more games with cross-platform play out of this deal? This only came about cause I saw this

- if the ratio of Sony to MS becomes 50%/50% in terms of the top multiplatform games dlc/mtx, the calculation ends becoming broke even, there is no revenue loss going to happen.
- MS might refuse to play ball with that and say that Cross-platform play on Warzone between Xbox/PC + PS platforms isn't available until that fee is removed.

Thoughts?

Sorry, but can you provide a bit more background on this? What is this fee associated with cross play? Is it only something Sony is charging? Is it a one time fee to make a game cross platform that devs have to pay Sony? Never heard of this...

Not in the short term. The effects of this deal are going to require time to take hold and MS wants to tread lightly to ensure this deal closes. So they’ll be friendly for awhile, but eventually they’re going to start to strong arm the device market.

The major risk: the number of studios and MS’ terrible record of developing and nurturing IP will only hasten the downfall of Activision IP. That is Sony’s opportunity: spend on software in a big way and make it hurt for MS to keep pace.

Sorry, but can you provide a bit more background on this? What is this fee associated with cross play? Is it only something Sony is charging? Is it a one time fee to make a game cross platform that devs have to pay Sony? Never heard of this...
I presume he's talking about If game is cross play.... You could buy a lot of the Microtransactions on one console and play it on the other. Because Sony has little benefit to cross play as they have sold the most consoles (and games) I believe they get a cut of sold DLC for things like weapon skins and stuff. I'm sure I saw an article about it a few months ago....

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned

Thoughts?

The players suffer the consequences here not Sony.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I presume he's talking about If game is cross play.... You could buy a lot of the Microtransactions on one console and play it on the other. Because Sony has little benefit to cross play as they have sold the most consoles (and games) I believe they get a cut of sold DLC for things like weapon skins and stuff. I'm sure I saw an article about it a few months ago....
Interesting. That makes sense. But Microsoft doesn't do the same?

nikolino840

People are starting to complain about cross-play, so it's possible it might get phased out in general as the Xbox numbers rise.

MS has definitely heard about the complaints, since it's being voiced by Halo fans. Activision is also one of the most aggressive in terms of anti-cheat stuff.
Only with PC players

reksveks

Here for more information: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony-cross-play-documents-with-epic-devs.1603688/
AFAIK, there isn't a similar deal/fee for publishing on Xbox.

reksveks

True. But if Call of Duty is on Gamepass, then the player base will be huge and cross-play is less needed in general. Combine that with complaints about it on PC, and it might just get phased out since it's not doing anything really.
I hope they just make an easier option in games, I think at the moment you have to do some random stuff in the console settings to disable it.

Treat it as a celebrity appearence fee. Sony charges Publishers/Devs a license fee if they want to allow Cross-Play between games on their PS consoles alongside with other platforms (PC, Xbox, Switch, Mobile)

As for why the Switch doesn't have cross-play for this game. I honestly have no idea why. Could be other technically issues/reasons for that. But with PS4/PS5. You will sometimes see PC cross-play. But only if the game is just on PS4/PS5 and PC.

Once Xbox gets in the way. Sony seems to have an issue with that.

It's also not just limited to cross-play games but even DLC/microtransactions as well. Games like Fortnite and COD which you can buy in-game currency, skins, etc can be shared between different platforms that you play on (Cross-Progression). Apparently, Sony gets a cut from Publishers whenever a user buys something like COD Points/V-Bucks on a platform that is not on PlayStation (it's something like that in the lines). This only applies to games that have cross-progression between PlayStation and Xbox/Switch/Mobile. It's pretty capitalist lol.. But that's business

I remember there being some info that Epic posted about, sometime last year.

With how shitty Sony has been. It's a big reason why games like Tekken 7, Guilty Gear Strive, and likely more haven't received cross-play at all.

Street Fighter V was an exception because that was directly funded by Sony and Capcom worked out a deal with them to allow cross-play support between the two platforms.

Top Bottom