• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the PS5 have the best launch year exclusive lineup in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not trying to start a fanboy war or anything. I’m just curious, and would like to know if anyone recalls a stronger launch year from any console? I mean, even though some of the revealed titles don’t have confirmed release windows I think it’s safe to say they’re all targeted to be released in 2021, and it’s looking quite impressive to say the least.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Demon’s Souls
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
God of War: Ragnarök
Horizon: Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Final Fantasy XVI (Probably 2022 or later, but who knows?)

PS2 comes to mind as also having a strong first year, but what else?
What are you talking about? Most of those games aren't exclusive to PS5, maybe just Ratched and Clank. Every other game will come on other platforms or won't be released within the year like Ragnarok.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not sure if it's the best ever, but if all those actually do get launched within the first year it's pretty great especially if you add in some of the excellent 3rd party games like Valhalla, Legion and CP2077

oldergamer

Azurikcover.jpg

God, it was awful too. I still fondly look back though.
That game was made by a team of 4 people.

Leyasu

Banned
I’m not trying to start a fanboy war or anything. I’m just curious, and would like to know if anyone recalls a stronger launch year from any console? I mean, even though some of the revealed titles don’t have confirmed release windows I think it’s safe to say they’re all targeted to be released in 2021, and it’s looking quite impressive to say the least.

Demon’s Souls
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal

That would mean that all of those studios then wouldn't have anything for the PS5 for at least 3 yrs!

The drought would be real

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Launch is weak for both consoles... OH launch YEAR jesus, when you have to move the bar that much, maybe you should think twice before starting a new thread.

SNES had the best launch LIFE(the entire lifespan of the console) this bullshit is fun, keep it up.

Last edited:
Post it up and we can compare :)
DC Had probably the best launch month ever, well UK and USA. Dreamcast Japan was awful. Same as PS2, but I can remember the USA year I believe had MGS2, FFX, Onimusha etc. But I woudn’t say God of War Ragnarok, Demon Souls, Horizon and FF16 are any less

These are all within 365 days of launch in NA. Feel free to add to the list.

DC:

NFL 2K (This was a big deal at the time!)
Power Stone 1 & 2
SoulCaliber (ignore arcade version)
SF III
RE: Code Veronica
Jet Grind Radio
Sonic Adventure
Shenmue
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (came much later on PS2)
Crazy Taxi (came over a year later on other platforms)

PS2:

Tekken Tag Tournament
Onimusha (Xbox basically 1 year later)
Red Faction (console exclusive)
Twisted Metal: Black
Klonoa 2
Ico
GTA III (console exclusive for 2 years)
Devil May Cry

GCN:

Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Pikmin
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
SSB: Melee
Animal Crossing
REmake
Eternal Darkness
Super Mario Sunshine
Star Fox Adventures
Metroid Prime

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Actually the title of this thread is relatively short...

1lJII1y.jpg

WOOSH!

Typically when we talk about game consoles we talk about the LAUNCH WINDOW(a month or so) or the LAUNCH(what is out when the machine comes out) itself.

"Moving the bar" is referring to how far you had to push that to try and make a point/justify your PS5 purchase to yourself and was seeking external acknowledgement of that.

Both consoles have a bad launch day, and even "window" to expand it to "launch year" is really something.

Woodchipper

WOOSH!

Typically when we talk about game consoles we talk about the LAUNCH WINDOW(a month or so) or the LAUNCH(what is out when the machine comes out) itself.

"Moving the bar" is referring to how far you had to push that to try and make a point/justify your PS5 purchase to yourself and was seeking external acknowledgement of that.

Both consoles have a bad launch day, and even "window" to expand it to "launch year" is really something.
Thanks for your contribution.

jaysius

Banned
I doubt we will be getting half of these next year.

Exactly, it's far too early to make this call, it's a real stretch.

What we can actually comment on, is that this Gen is off to a weak start for non-cross gen content(ie. Gen exclusive content)

This is another pie in the sky wisher, grasping at straws, crystal ball thread.

A good time for this thread is probably mid-way into next year, when we've seen HALF of this launch year.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

These are all within 365 days of launch in NA. Feel free to add to the list.

DC:

NFL 2K (This was a big deal at the time!)
Power Stone 1 & 2
SoulCaliber (ignore arcade version)
SF III
RE: Code Veronica
Jet Grind Radio
Sonic Adventure
Shenmue
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (came much later on PS2)
Crazy Taxi (came over a year later on other platforms)

PS2:

Tekken Tag Tournament
Oninusha (Xbox basically 1 year later)
Red Faction (console exclusive)
Twisted Metal: Black
Klonoa 2
Ico
GTA III (console exclusive for 2 years)
Devil May Cry

GCN:

Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2
Pikmin
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
SSB: Melee
Animal Crossing
REmake
Eternal Darkness
Super Mario Sunshine
Star Fox Adventures
Metroid Prime

Damn DMC came out before MGS2 And FFX? I need to go back to memory lane and get my facts right. And Shen Mue the Same year?

Ill say FF16, God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet, Demon Souls etc is better than PS2.
But DC Is pretty impressive and hard to beat, even though SF3 and Code Veronica came out on PS2.
And same for GC, I didnt remember GC being so good 1st year. You forgot Luigi’s Mansion which I loved :)

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wow the dream cast and gc had great lineups, they put the new consoles to shame. How on earth did the dreamcast fail.......

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Demon’s Souls
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal

Uh no!!

Spider-Man: Miles Morales ---sequel
Demon’s Souls----remake
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart---sequel
God of War: Ragnarök----sequel
Horizon: Forbidden West----sequel
Gran Turismo 7---sequel
Returnal-----Ok
Sackboy: A Big Adventure----sequel
Final Fantasy XVI (Probably 2022 or later, but who knows?)---remake

A year of remakes and sequels does not make up a good year. Seriously? Are you 13?

Woodchipper

Uh no!!

Spider-Man: Miles Morales ---sequel
Demon’s Souls----remake
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart---sequel
God of War: Ragnarök----sequel
Horizon: Forbidden West----sequel
Gran Turismo 7---sequel
Returnal-----Ok
Sackboy: A Big Adventure----sequel
Final Fantasy XVI (Probably 2022 or later, but who knows?)---remake

A year of remakes and sequels does not make up a good year. Seriously? Are you 13?
Since when are sequels lesser than new IP’s? And how is FFXVI a remake? Seriously? Are you 10?

TheKratos

I think the launch itself is quite amazing:
- Demon Souls
- Spiderman
- Godfall
- AC Valhalla
- Cold War
- Cyberpunk (not sure about this one)
- Ratchet

Probably forgetting some too.

Last edited:

anothertech

Demon’s Souls
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal

EiEBc8pVoAAalIE.jpg

vd8j5ur0u2r5xsup5sxb-1280x720.png

psBa62XqepCqrpq3AbrwtJ.jpg

10760_gow_header.jpg

horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-playstation-5-1.900x.jpg

gran-turismo-7-gt7-ps5-playstation-5-1.original.jpg

EaQgIMYXQAEuu-J.jpg

593932-sackboy-a-big-adventure-ps5.jpg

50350258547_775360d55b_h.jpg

godfall-ps5-playstation-5.original.jpg

Look pretty fucking good tbh

Camreezie

Demon’s Souls
Returnal

That's more like what I see year one exclusives being tbh

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Why deathloop off all these lists now, few weeks ago it was treated as the 2nd coming

ZehDon

Gold Member
Launch year? Headlined by a remake of a PS3 game and a remaster of a two year old PS4 game? Nah, not even close, OP.

Nintendo 64 had, in its first year:
  • Killer Instinct Gold
  • Mark Kart 64
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Wave Race 64
And, if I can fudge the dates just a little, I can squeeze Blast Corps and Bomberman 64 into that time period as well.

OG Xbox had, in its first year:
  1. Halo: Combat Evolved
  2. Dead or Alive 3
  3. Fuzion Frenzy
  4. Project Gotham Racing
  5. Max Payne
  6. Blood Wake
  7. Jet Set Radio Future
  8. Morrowind
  9. Blinx The Time Sweeper
That's a muderer's row - and those are just the exclusives that I own, not including third party titles. Xbox 360 had, in its first year:
  1. Call of Duty 2
  2. Condemned: Criminal Origins
  3. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
  4. Kameo Elements of Power
  5. Dead or Alive 4
  6. Dead Rising
  7. Just Cause
  8. Perfect Dark Zero
  9. Project Gotham Racing 3
  10. Quake 4
  11. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
  12. Oblivion
  13. Tomb Raider: Legend
  14. Saints Row
  15. Viva Pinata (right on the line)
You'd kill for a first year like that today.

Now, obviously the PS5's first year isn't finished done yet, so there's likely to be more surprises before November 2021, but up against just the above? PS5 is already last place. It's certainly got a more packed first year than the Xbox Series X - which is literally launching without a single first party title. So, hey, there's that.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Looking across the launch titles, Ubisoft is having the best launch out of anyone (or at least 2020 titles anyway).

I plan on getting:

Watchdog Legions
Assassins Creed Valhalla
Immortals Fenyx Rising
Godfall
Demons Souls
Spider-Man
Devil May Cry 5

3/7 are Ubisoft which is really crazy

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The God of War trailer literally said 2021

With Sony’s recent deceptive marketing, that could easily mean a full reveal will be made in 2021

An announcement of an official announcement if you will, all the rage now a days.

if Horizon 2 isn’t due till holiday and that’s had a full trailer why would you assume a teaser would lead to the release in that same time frame.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned

Demon’s Souls
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal

You're list is inaccurate. No FF XVI, Spiderman MM and others arent ps5 exclusives.

Even if the list was accurate......NO

I think the first year, accurate list wise, looks pathetic myself

JimiNutz

Banned
If they all launch this year it'll be the best PlayStation launch ever for sure.
Dunno about greatest of all time though.

Yoboman

With Sony’s recent deceptive marketing, that could easily mean a full reveal will be made in 2021

An announcement of an official announcement if you will, all the rage now a days.

if Horizon 2 isn’t due till holiday and that’s had a full trailer why would you assume a teaser would lead to the release in that same time frame.

PS2 (in NA) had a much stronger launch and launch window lineup than PS5.

Armored Core 2
DOA2: Hardcore
Dynasty Warriors 2
Gun Griffon Blaze
Kessen
Midnight Club
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
SSX
Street Fighter EX3
Tekken Tag Tournament
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing

This is not even the full list of PS2 launch titles. Those are just the ones that I felt were the best.

Last edited:
PS2 (in NA) had a much stronger launch and launch window lineup than PS5.

Armored Core 2
DOA2: Hardcore
Dynasty Warriors 2
Gun Griffon Blaze
Kessen
Midnight Club
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
Ridge Racer V
Silent Scope
Smuggler's Run
SSX
Street Fighter EX3
Tekken Tag Tournament
TimeSplitters
Unreal Tournament
Wild Wild Racing

This is not even the full list of PS2 launch titles. Those are just the ones that I felt were the best.
I misread it. Didn't realize this was just about exclusives. I'll leave this here as a reminder. Of my screwup.

Last edited:
Wow u guys really get an inch and go a mile..it’s probably one of the worst launch lineups to be honest as most of those games don’t have dates and one of them would be lucky to make ps6 launch

Best launch of all time goes to the Super Nintendo and Mario world

it was backed up with a number of really great titles in the first 6 months ....castlevania/final fight/pilotwings off the top of my head

2nd place was definitely xbox and halo....you bought the console just to play it... outside of Nintendo consoles no other console did this

3rd place was Dreamcast...it had a really launch titles and for the time they were a step change to what was on the market.

PlayStations historically have shit launch lineups...ps4 you had 2 years of indies and mediocre first party...ps3 was also the same

ps2/ps1 it’s really hard to gauge as living in aus the release dates on games were all over the place but there were also some pretty big droughts of games and some absolute banger months on games

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Since when are sequels lesser than new IP’s? And how is FFXVI a remake? Seriously? Are you 10?

Sorry I saw it as FFVII remake. Still it's a sequel. But If you don't get new IP's and stick to safe sequels then the industry won't thrive. Sure, some of these game will sell millions ...but really does Fortnite (game that sells billions) advance the gaming industry at all? Other than lining the publishers pockets and get every other publisher to want copy cat games. It's been getting really bad. Look at all consoles 'new releases' lists for 2020 and 2021. LOTS of the same stuff.

Launch year? Headlined by a remake of a PS3 game and a remaster of a two year old PS4 game? Nah, not even close, OP.

Nintendo 64 had, in its first year:
  • Killer Instinct Gold
  • Mark Kart 64
  • Pilotwings 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Wave Race 64
And, if I can fudge the dates just a little, I can squeeze Blast Corps and Bomberman 64 into that time period as well.

OG Xbox had, in its first year:
  1. Halo: Combat Evolved
  2. Dead or Alive 3
  3. Fuzion Frenzy
  4. Project Gotham Racing
  5. Max Payne
  6. Blood Wake
  7. Jet Set Radio Future
  8. Morrowind
  9. Blinx The Time Sweeper
That's a muderer's row - and those are just the exclusives that I own, not including third party titles. Xbox 360 had, in its first year:
  1. Call of Duty 2
  2. Condemned: Criminal Origins
  3. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
  4. Kameo Elements of Power
  5. Dead or Alive 4
  6. Dead Rising
  7. Just Cause
  8. Perfect Dark Zero
  9. Project Gotham Racing 3
  10. Quake 4
  11. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
  12. Oblivion
  13. Tomb Raider: Legend
  14. Saints Row
  15. Viva Pinata (right on the line)
You'd kill for a first year like that today.

Now, obviously the PS5's first year isn't finished done yet, so there's likely to be more surprises before November 2021, but up against just the above? PS5 is already last place. It's certainly got a more packed first year than the Xbox Series X - which is literally launching without a single first party title. So, hey, there's that.

OP is including games within 1 year of launch. I’d include Blast Corps and Goldeneye.

PS2 had a strong first year but AWFUL fucking launch. It was trash that released. Fantavision, Kessen, Madden, TTT, all trash.

But yeah, if those games get released I'd say it's solid running for best first year for a console.
Tekken Tag Tournament trash? Damn I enjoyed the hell out of the game. I ended up playing that more than Tekken 3. Tekken bowl was tons of fun too. Kessen took me a little time getting into. Fantavision is the one I barely played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom