• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the PS5 have the best launch year exclusive lineup in history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
It would be pretty ballsy of Sony to keep saying 2021 on these games if they know it's not realistic. We see delays all the time, though. So who knows.

But if everything actually comes out in the launch year, then yes, this is an insane one. We can point back to other launch years in history that had great games, but this is a ridiculously high-budget level of massive AAA games for the first year of a new console's life.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
You are just inventing scenarios in your head and pretending they are facts

The trailer says 2021, period

now it’s a trailer? It was a voice line with a logo. It was teasing a reveal in 2021. Star Field showed that much 2 years ago.

I’m sure Sony can do it, not like they delayed Last of Us 2 over a year BEFORE Covid.

Yoboman

now it’s a trailer? It was a voice line with a logo. It was teasing a reveal in 2021. Star Field showed that much 2 years ago.

I’m sure Sony can do it, not like they delayed Last of Us 2 over a year BEFORE Covid.
If they delay it later then it will be considered delayed at that point. Right now its a 2021 game

But keep living in fantasy world

Warnen

If they delay it later then it will be considered delayed at that point. Right now its a 2021 game

But keep living in fantasy world

A triple A major Game‘s tease to release in less then a year. Not buying that sure sound like a fantasy to me. Even more unbelievable is a post COVID world...

Blind faith must be one hell of a drug.

Zero7

PS2 had Tekken Tag Tournament and Ridge Racer V at launch, two of the best games of the whole generation for me, they were followed by Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy 10 and Grand Theft Auto 3. PS5 will never top that!

Dogman

A triple A major Game‘s tease to release in less then a year. Not buying that sure sound like a fantasy to me. Even more unbelievable is a post COVID world...

Blind faith must be one hell of a drug.
Who said less than a year. 2021 could mean anytime from jan-dec.

Not sure why you think they would give the date of the reveal. That literally makes no sense and has never been done before lmao

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Tekken Tag Tournament trash? Damn I enjoyed the hell out of the game. I ended up playing that more than Tekken 3. Tekken bowl was tons of fun too. Kessen took me a little time getting into. Fantavision is the one I barely played.
To be fair I'm not super into fighters. I really like Tekken 3 especially it's incredible PS1 port. But by then, I had really loved playing Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast and vastly preferred that style of fighter. I'd say of the available launch day games, Tekken Tag Tournament was probably the most quality title. I bought both it and Madden. Still preferred D.O.A style of fighter at the time.

The GameCube had a much better launch year than it’s given credit for, at least in North America. It launched on November 18, 2001. Here are some noteworthy titles:

Luigi’s Mansion
Star Wars Rogue Squaron II: Rogue Leader
Super Smash Bros Melee
Pikmin
Resident Evil (Remake)
Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball 2
Animal Crossing
Mario Party 4
Resident Evil Zero
Metroid Prime

freefornow

Gold Member
EiEBc8pVoAAalIE.jpg

vd8j5ur0u2r5xsup5sxb-1280x720.png

psBa62XqepCqrpq3AbrwtJ.jpg

10760_gow_header.jpg

horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-playstation-5-1.900x.jpg

gran-turismo-7-gt7-ps5-playstation-5-1.original.jpg

EaQgIMYXQAEuu-J.jpg

593932-sackboy-a-big-adventure-ps5.jpg

50350258547_775360d55b_h.jpg

godfall-ps5-playstation-5.original.jpg

Look pretty fucking good tbh
Dunno, all looks a bit "same ol same ol".

gypsygib

Mario 64 alone was the the greatest launch "line up" in gaming history. You felt like you entered into a new dimension of gaming. PS5 has some solid games but nothing revolutionary.

supernova8

Banned
Lol god of war and especially GT7 aren’t 2021. If God of War is 2021 then it’s not a PS5 exclusive either, it’ll be on PS4.

So no. The answer is no.

Yep PS5 launch will be shit. Xbox won't be much better so we can amicably enjoy the shit. Think I might buy an Oculus Quest 2 instead and skip consoles for a bit until both sides have something compelling. Maybe Halo reincarnated will turn out to be a banger after all.

Concern

Only appealing launch title to me is Demon Souls and Returnal (didn't know it was a launch title). So not even close to the best imo.

I’m not trying to start a fanboy war or anything. I’m just curious, and would like to know if anyone recalls a stronger launch year from any console? I mean, even though some of the revealed titles don’t have confirmed release windows I think it’s safe to say they’re all targeted to be released in 2021, and it’s looking quite impressive to say the least.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (standalone DLC)
Demon’s Souls (remake)
Sackboy: A Big Adventure

NO!
Everything else are not launch games.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yep PS5 launch will be shit. Xbox won't be much better so we can amicably enjoy the shit. Think I might buy an Oculus Quest 2 instead and skip consoles for a bit until both sides have something compelling. Maybe Halo reincarnated will turn out to be a banger after all.
Yeh neither consoles have a good launch lineup imo. I won’t be buying a single game. I’m not sure if I got a first round preorder cause all the sites shut the bed here in Australia, and tbh I’m not even fussed if I don’t get one til next year at this stage. I’ll only be playing pubg on it anyway haha.

I’m also interested in getting a Quest 2 to try out.

Matt_Fox

I've been gaming a long time, and "launch window" has always meant the first 3 months. Granted its a somewhat vague term but at its absolute broadest you might stretch it to breaking point at 6 months.

This list stretches, snaps and then makes cruel mockery of the term "launch window"!

Chastten

Banned
The GameCube got released later in Europe than in the rest of the world, but because of that we got Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Pikmin, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Super Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race: Blue Storm all in the first 365 days.

Nintendo 64 got Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye 007, Banjo Kazooie and Wave Race 64 in its first year, also making it one of my favorites. Other than that, PS2 and Switch also come close.

Bryank75

Banned
Apart from maybe the GameCube, I think it's probably the strongest.

The output from PSStudios has been just incredible since the PS3, non-stop.

I think people still forget TLOU2 and GOT came out this year.

Last edited:
Damn DMC came out before MGS2 And FFX? I need to go back to memory lane and get my facts right. And Shen Mue the Same year?

Ill say FF16, God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet, Demon Souls etc is better than PS2.
But DC Is pretty impressive and hard to beat, even though SF3 and Code Veronica came out on PS2.
And same for GC, I didnt remember GC being so good 1st year. You forgot Luigi’s Mansion which I loved :)

I like the PS2 lineup better, GTA III completely changed video games and was earth shattering at the time. Nothing on PS5 screams that to me. I included SF III and RE CV because they were released more than a year later. I thought about including Luigi’s Mansion, but is was only moderately acclaimed at the time.

yurinka

I’m not trying to start a fanboy war or anything. I’m just curious, and would like to know if anyone recalls a stronger launch year from any console? I mean, even though some of the revealed titles don’t have confirmed release windows I think it’s safe to say they’re all targeted to be released in 2021, and it’s looking quite impressive to say the least.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Demon’s Souls
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
God of War: Ragnarök
Horizon: Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Final Fantasy XVI (Probably 2022 or later, but who knows?)

PS2 comes to mind as also having a strong first year, but what else?
Yes, but GT7 doesn't have a year so maybe it's 2022. In addition to these games, they'll also have other ones timed exclusives from both AAA publishers like Godfall (not sure if it's a full exclusive), Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop etc.and to top indie stuff as the games shown in the first PS5 showcase stream.

I'm pretty confident it will be the best 1st year exclusive line-up ever, and it will also have the best 1st year sales ever beating the all time gaming history record of the PS4 in both first fiscal year (Nov 2020 to March 2021) and full first year (Nov. 2020 to Nov 2021).

I also think PS5 will also beat the all time first weekened and first month sales records that PS4 has.

On the other side of the ring Series X will have only a single next gen only exclusive game at launch and it's an indie. And after the first year of Series X, it's only big AAA exclusive will be Halo. Same goes for Game Pass, after the first year of Series X Halo will be its only next gen big AAA exclusive but hey, it will have many tweaked XBO AAA games.

Last edited:

Warnen

Your article doesn't mention anything about revealing a date and it ending up being an announcement date. Nobody in the industry announces a date for a game and has it only be another announcement date. 2021 is the release

cools lets put a pin in this then in December 2021 and no GoW 2 is out we can revisit.

my entire point is Sony been really shady with messaging lately (Cross gen game after refusing they would, years of it to come, bury PS4 version of game on Twitter to make it look like only ps5 games, ect...).

If there is an E3 this year, expect an actual trailer and a new date in 2022 at best.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it strange that Destruction AllStars is a launch title that you can preorder right now yet next to nothing is known about it?

Last edited:

Stimpak

Best launch (for exclusives and in general) was GameCube or OG Xbox.

Demon’s Souls will be my reason for getting a PS5, but it’s a remake and it’s souls, which ain’t everyone’s cup o’ tea.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Damn DMC came out before MGS2 And FFX? I need to go back to memory lane and get my facts right. And Shen Mue the Same year?

Ill say FF16, God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet, Demon Souls etc is better than PS2.
But DC Is pretty impressive and hard to beat, even though SF3 and Code Veronica came out on PS2.
And same for GC, I didnt remember GC being so good 1st year. You forgot Luigi’s Mansion which I loved :)

It is easy to forget how often good games used to come out. Nowadays we expect 4 years in between titles with tons of DLC and remasters to fill in the gaps but, Square did put out 4 main Final Fantasy games between 1997 and 2001. That did happen.

By the end of 2001, the PS2 had MGS2, FFX, DMC, ICO, GTA3, Jak & Daxter, Gran Turismo 3, Silent Hill 2, Ace Combat 4, Twisted Metal, etc. A lot of these are games people still buy and play today, or want to buy (like a proper Silent Hill 2 remake). And those were just the exclusives, Tony Hawk 3 was probably the best reviewed game that year. The launch was mediocre (I got SSX and Kessen with mine,which were both good games) but fixed fast. But note that this quite frankly unbelievable (in 2020) lineup forced Nintendo and Xbox to raise their lineup too.

The years between 1998 and 2004 were probably the best we are ever going to get out of vidya.

Matt_Fox

Any of you chaps old enough to remember 1993? It was a particularly vintage year for PC gaming.

Day Of The Tentacle and X-Wing by LucasArts, Doom by Id, and Syndicate by Bullfrog.

jigglet

Banned
Who knows, PS4 was a monster for first party output.

I expect they will be very strong. Probably not the sort of games I want to play (I literally didn't play any PS4 exclusives despite it being my main console this gen) but I can't deny the appeal of what they make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom