• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will there be a forum update that lets us also ignore the reactions of ignored members?

Kataploom

Gold Member
LMAO All of you never dissapoint :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BTW, regarding the ignore function, I thinks it's better to let people ignore some content they don't like than having them complaining, harassing, doxxing, or whatever because they can't look away on internet (of all things)

Nymphae

Banned
I have no idea what this means.

Come on kids....

MTFuhcm.png

Kadayi

Banned
Ignore is a beautiful feature. Since it expanded to threads I haven't needed to ignore a member (though I still insist there are times when it's necessary -- future permabans not yet banned).

I found ever since I largely stopped visiting the Politics sub, life is for the most part much better.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don’t understand why we need an ignore feature to begin with. Enjoy the discourse.

If someone is that butt-blasted by what someone else says on the internet that they need the person’s entire presence expunged from their feed, perhaps former someone needs to take some time away.
the ignore feature is literally time away from the toxic conversation. if a certain user is causing distress, that can spin off into flame wars. this can take the thread off topic, and others can get hit in the crossfire, exacerbating the problem. the ignore feature enables one to continue engaging with their board peers while filtering out a single troublemaker.

there is plenty of value to providing filters, to giving people tools with which they can customize their experience. there is no harm in that. you can understand this, right? people wanting choice and control over their experience?

"enjoy the discourse" lol why don't you go to ResetEra and enjoy the discourse there? if you don't understand why people wouldn't want to hear every opinion, then you should be willing to engage with them. have fun! let us know how much you enjoy the discourse. you don't believe in echo chambers, so have a blast.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
what would be really cool is inter-thread ignore feature. maybe i want to just ignore everyone bitching about how big a hack Kojima is for the millionth time, but I don't want to miss out on the same user's opinion on other stuff? would be nice.

i guess the best thing is to just ignore it IRL without relying on a filter. but that's a fucked up way to read a message board if before each message you have to calibrate whether or not you are taking it seriously.

Last edited:
I wish there could be a forum update that allows me to ignore my noisy ass upstairs neighbor

Seriously lady, I'm about two or three moire 3 AM wakeups from writing an extremely passive-aggressive anonymous letter

Stimpak

the ignore feature is literally time away from the toxic conversation. if a certain user is causing distress, that can spin off into flame wars. this can take the thread off topic, and others can get hit in the crossfire, exacerbating the problem. the ignore feature enables one to continue engaging with their board peers while filtering out a single troublemaker.

there is plenty of value to providing filters, to giving people tools with which they can customize their experience. there is no harm in that. you can understand this, right? people wanting choice and control over their experience?

"enjoy the discourse" lol why don't you go to ResetEra and enjoy the discourse there? if you don't understand why people wouldn't want to hear every opinion, then you should be willing to engage with them. have fun! let us know how much you enjoy the discourse. you don't believe in echo chambers, so have a blast.

l4jJg4M.gif

Papa

Banned

Then they should make ignores last for a fixed period. A week, a month, whatever. That would help prevent the echo chamber effect when people set a user to ignore and forget. It builds fragility when people know they can just tune out anything they don't presently agree with.

GAMETA

Banned
I don't think ignore should even exist. It's an internet forum ffs, you have to deal with different opinions, senses of humor, culture, background and so on. That's what makes it worth reading in the first place.

If the person's causing too much trouble I'm pretty sure the mods can look into it and adress the issue, other than that, blocking those you don't agree with is no different than the "cancel culture".

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It builds fragility when people know they can just tune out anything they don't presently agree with.
nah this is bullshit lol. i've heard "Kojima is a hack, you are just cultists" for years and it's just as annoying the billionth time. heard this shit for a solid decade, it didn't stop me from being "fragile", hearing the same shit over and over again is getting old. when Sekiro dropped it was almost as bad for people with From software.

if I'm going to see a movie, I don't want to sit in a theater with someone who hates the movie and tells me I'm an idiot for being there. if I go to see a baseball game I don't want to sit next to someone who hates baseball and specifically my favorite team and is aggressive about it. none of these kind of experiences seem reasonable, yet on the internet we are supposed to just shut up, despite the technology offering infinite possibilities for filtering and sorting data. it's bonkers.

i just want to buy a $60 game without having to "defend" my choice, as if $60 is some insane purchase I have to justify. it makes conversation not fun. it makes me want to avoid talking. it makes the trolls take over the threads. ultimately the board is just shittier in general all for not allowing me the simple option to hide a user's response.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Then they should make ignores last for a fixed period. A week, a month, whatever. That would help prevent the echo chamber effect when people set a user to ignore and forget. It builds fragility when people know they can just tune out anything they don't presently agree with.

I'm instantly putting my list back on ignore if it's only a fixed period thing, I don't think this would have much of an effect other than making me have to re-ignore certain users periodically.

Nymphae

Banned
blocking those you don't agree with is no different than the "cancel culture".

It is different because I'm not saying a person should be "canceled" for anyone else, just not seen by me anymore. It's me removing that persons channel from my cable package, I'm sick of skipping past their channel daily because it never shows me anything interesting and is always playing reruns.

There's this idea from a lot of posters here that the ignore feature is used specifically to avoid disagreement, while I think the more common use is likely to simply get rid of annoyance with no benefit.

Top Bottom