• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see XBLA and older digital exclusive games ported to PC/Next Gen?

Percy

Banned
They belong on a PCum._. Or something.

This is probably one of those puns that only works in spoken form now I think about it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I really liked the War of the Worlds demo. Wish I would have bought it ...

Same thing happened to me. I played the demo a few time but put off the purchase. When I finally went to buy it it had been pulled off the market a week and a half earlier, after only being for sale for like, a year and a half.

I checked with Frank at Other Ocean the other day to see if they were going to use some of that #IDARB money to bring it to PC and the status is still "Maybe Someday." :(

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/576232779484041216

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Emulation is going to be the savior which preserves console gaming. It's obviously not there yet, but in the future it'll likely be the only way most of this stuff is preserved, pirate sites and emulators. It's a real bummer and something I'm incredibly grateful for at the same time.

I welcome all PC ports always though.

ZVe8piL.jpg

Thankfully some great people ported this to PC and it plays beautifully.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I was actually just telling a friend that I desperately wished Sega would port Daytona USA to the current gen of consoles, followed by Daytona 2 and Scud Race.

I am glad that I have it downloaded to my 360. I'm going to have to do whatever I can to ensure it's available for me to play forever...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is why the new gen systems needed bc. All of these fantastic digital only games that can't be brought over to the new consoles, it really sucks.
Especially on the 360 which is just a treasure trove of fantastic Arcade releases. This thread reminded me I really should grab Contra Uprising, Radiant Silvergun, Daytona USA, and Guardian Heroes.

Edit: The 360's killer library of Arcade releases, and often Steam Sale level prices on other digital titles is the reason I can never get rid of the system. It's just too damn good.

gelf

The big worry for me is that any game regardless of quality that bombed or at least didn't meet expectations on the 360 or PS3 marketplaces will be gone forever now and we won't see them again on any machines with backward compatibility as the publisher won't see the point of a new port. I don't see any Sega arcade ports making it across as I don't think they sold very well.

petran79

Banned
I remember there was a leaked Xbox360 game (XNA framework) that was ready to run on Windows.

At least those games would be easy to port

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well Dead Nation, Super Stardust and Flower all came across to PS4. But yeah none of the XBLA games have come across yet.

Fox Mulder

i got rid of my 360 when i got an xb1, but still have tons of xbla games I wish I could play. Would even be nice if MS released a tiny digital only 360, I just couldn't justify having two xboxes hooked up really.

I really liked the War of the Worlds demo. Wish I would have bought it ...

i did.

it was hard as fuck but neat for what it was.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd rebuy every game I own on XBLA (that isn't already on PC) on PC.

I don't know what I was thinking buying digital games which are locked to one specific physical box which will get obsolete at some point :/
A silly concept really.

Yup, never again.

I totally agree, so many awesome PSN/XBLA games just left on the old machines. Would love Frozen Synapse on PS4, looking forward to it on Vita when I buy it

Crub

We have seen a few games recently. Double Dragon Neon, Bloodrayne Betrayal and Outland were all released in the last year on Steam.

I hope more are to come.

pizzacat

Banned
Would love to play my arcade game fighters I had on XBLA on the one. Garou MOW, MvC2, Skulligirls, Super Puzzle Fighter dude.

:[

This is why the new gen systems needed bc. All of these fantastic digital only games that can't be brought over to the new consoles, it really sucks.

The same as every other system ever released then, really. You can't play SNES games on a Gamecube, and you can't play Commodore 64 games on an Amiga.

Keep your old system, and the games will be there for you to play for a loooong time.

Nocturno999

I'd rebuy every game I own on XBLA (that isn't already on PC) on PC.

I don't know what I was thinking buying digital games which are locked to one specific physical box which will get obsolete at some point :/
A silly concept really.

I want to sell my 360 and I'm having the same thoughts.

Tagyhag

I sure hope so, if anything for preservation's sake. Would be sad to see these titles being lost in time for being in a closed format.

Raitaro

I sure hope so, if anything for preservation's sake. Would be sad to see these titles being lost in time for being in a closed format.

I agree with this.

I'd like to see Iron Galaxy's SF3 and Darkstalkers versions come up to next gen.

And this. Especially this.

Evergreen/timeless games like the ones listed in this thread (especially the fighting games and arcade games) should indeed come to the new consoles so people can continue to play or even discover them. It would be such a waste to not bring them over after we finally were able to start playing them again on a modern platform with online functionality.

Such a shame things like that aren't safe bets in this current climate. If only the games industry (and larger game playing community) would acknowledge games older than a few years and would adopt a Criterion movie label approach to re-releasing old favorites on newer formats.

We can always start pestering publishers like Capcom/Sega as well as Sony/Microsoft about them of course. Not sure how much good it would do though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The same as every other system ever released then, really. You can't play SNES games on a Gamecube, and you can't play Commodore 64 games on an Amiga.

Keep your old system, and the games will be there for you to play for a loooong time.

It's different with digital, because there's no recouping any of the money you spent on those games.

At least with physical games you can sell them. I recently sold my GameCube with some games for a couple hundred dollars. If my library were digital I wouldn't have made nearly as much money.

Synth

It's different with digital, because there's no recouping any of the money you spent on those games.

At least with physical games you can sell them. I recently sold my GameCube with some games for a couple hundred dollars. If my library were digital I wouldn't have made nearly as much money.

It's not even the ability to sell them (I almost never sell games). With physical games there's nearly always some way to play them even past the life of the original hardware. Besides the actual consoles themselves, there are numerous other machines that can read a SNES or Genesis cart for example. Even if a game is very limited (lets say Panzer Dragoon Saga), if I really want it enough, there's still a way for me to acquire it. The same can't be said for anyone looking to pick up Outrun Online Arcade today, you'd basically have to try and buy a console that it's still tied to.

Top Bottom