• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we see the PS5 design this week?

When do you think the console will be displayed?

• Tomorrow at Wired

• June 4 at the start of the event

• June 4 at the end of the event

• At the August event

• Other (specify in an answer)

Results are only viewable after voting.

AnkitDanger

Banned
We will see it on 4th June I think but there's a chance that they might not show it since the event is going to focus on games mostly

No, it will be much later to build the hype. They also won’t show off the box without the price and we all know the price won’t be announced until the very last minute, so August/ September. Preorders don’t need to go out too early as numbers for sale/ manufactured will be extremely low. Thursday, games only and August £499 announcement with full hardware screenshots in 4k.

Last edited:

Muay Ninja

I think they will show it once Ghosts and TLOU2 are released and out of the way. Makes sense to build hype for a new console after your two big (probably succesful) releases for the year.

Orta

Banned
Yep. Reveal at the end of the games presentation, it'll be lowered onto the stage like the stonehenge prop in This Is Spinal Tap but will break loose, fall on Cerny and he'll be instantly killed live online.

turtlepowa

Banned
You can expect 2 things:

- They have to reveal it soon, before the production starts, or someone leaks a picture of it
- They want to make the biggest show possible around it

So it has to be June 4 at the end of the show with some lightshow/drum roll shit.

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
No, BGs BGs . The main question is what do YOU think?
For me the ideal would be to present it at the end of the event. After the games. But I have doubts about what they are going to do. I consider little time 1 hour for everything to present, so I think that (logically) they will fragment it over time.

I'm still not sold on the June production date, PS4 didn't start production until early September of 2013, why would this console start up months earlier and continue to have rumors of limited supplies?

BGs

Industry Professional
Why not a simple yes or no? Why guess if it will be shown at the start or end of the event.

should have added time stamp options too.
Because I have based the poll on the rumors that have appeared.

If you want you can set the exact time by selecting "Other".

Don't be so hard on me, it's the first survey I do (I think) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

OrionNebula

For me the ideal would be to present it at the end of the event. After the games. But I have doubts about what they are going to do. I consider little time 1 hour for everything to present, so I think that (logically) they will fragment it over time.

I also thought that.
Seems that ‘’quite a lot of games to show’’ plus crew of 25 people present for the event (unless most of them are there only to ‘’react’’) is a lot for something that is a little over an hour long

On the other hand, that mass production started tweet has me thinking they will show the box (probably few to no details, only perhaps to tell us to tune in in August for full reveal event) to get at least ahead of the curve for the leaks

So I stand by my end of June 4th show ‘’Oh... and there is one more thing...’’ tease

Can’t wait to see how wrong all my predictions will turn out to be for that event 😆

NeoGiffer

5df5e6a5c9273.jpeg

• LOL
Reactions: BGs

TimFL

They‘ll most likely show it at the event so they can start preparing for mass production. Once a device hits mass production it‘s bound to leak most aspects of the design anyways.
Sounds like something Sony wants to be in control of, so revealing the design at the june event sounds likely to me.

Reactions: BGs

Dante83

Banned
I am keeping my expectations low. They said it's a games focused presentation, so there is a chance that we may not see the ps5 design, it's features like online and the price.

THE:MILKMAN

I'm still not sold on the June production date, PS4 didn't start production until early September of 2013, why would this console start up months earlier and continue to have rumors of limited supplies?

*cough* FT on May 29th
Financial Times said:
As Sony prepares to unveil the PS5’s first slate of games at an online showcase next week, manufacturing of the new console has begun, said Jim Ryan, president and chief executive of Sony Interactive Entertainment. “It will ramp [up] over the course of the summer,” he said. “People are quite surprised by this but we are on track . . . We believe we’ll have quantities sufficient to support a global launch.”

Fenris Wolf

I believe they will show the console itself, but the pricing will go for august.
+I guess they will put their focus on specific things. Maybe they don't showcase any "enhanced via backwards" game in this show and rather have more new first & third party games.

pure speculation for june 4th based on rumors:

HZD2
maybe a new Ratchet
GT7
for first party launch
&
Harry potter
CoD
Batman
WD: Legion
as third party launch titles.

and the rest of their plans will go for other events. Maybe on those other events we get to see the games that are not designated to release as a launch title as well. (uncharted 5, GoW 2 etc.)

saintjules

While I think the traditional way of showing the hardware is better and it may still be there, I think similar to the DualSense announced via the PS blog, they will show the Console in a Wired Article. If Sony does indeed have multiple events, they could very well do a breakdown of the hardware, coupled with the Controller at a separate event. Have it's own standalone showcase.

It's starting to make more and more sense that the Wired route could be possible.

Last edited:
If they don't dare to show it this week, then the thing must be a hideous monstrosity. I'm thinking they show it though.

ZywyPL

Banned
At June 4th show, somewhere in the middle/1st half. I expect Sony to talk a bit about the past, the legacy, PS4 success, TLoU2 and GoT etc. before they completely switch onto new generation.

RaySoft

I don't think Sony will reveal the physical form of the console on june 4th. They'll save that for later.
It's all about the games now, and they don't want to let anything take away from that, even the PS5 itself.

Last edited:
I fully expect a console reveal on June 4th, price point probably won't happen until later and it wouldn't surprise me if Wired gets the inside scoop on the console tear down that Mark Cerny had talked about.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It makes sense to show it. A console design is a big hype-builder, as we saw with just the controller hinting at it, driving huge social media numbers.

It gives people something concrete to grab onto, and at this stage of the game, it’s logical to provide that. I don’t see how Sony benefits from waiting until a couple of months before release.

They will hold on it till August, unless it leaks. For maximizing blueball effect.
They will release a 15 min teardown immediately after it leaks.

jigglet

Banned
I hope so, because I need confirmation that it supports a vertical orientation. It's really important to me because I live in a small apartment and this would be a deal breaker for me if it was horizontal only. Everything else has gone swimmingly so far (well, BC to be seen) so this is the main thing I'm waiting to see.

Shin

Banned
Production has started already according to Jim Ryan.

The PS5 design should absolutely be shown off this week. Why would Sony risk a dodgy image of the thing leaking from a factory worker?
Because they love and prioritize the US so much, which isn't in a good shape right now.
But IIRC E3 2018 or was it 2017 that went on despite a mass shooting in a homo sexual bar or something along the lines of that.
They did their PR for couple seconds at the start and the show went on, I expect the same here because it is not one show it is the start of a new generation.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Twice as thick as 4pro

If the design is long like PS3 or Xbox One this might be the biggest console ever made

Last edited:
Top Bottom