• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be buying Fallout 76?

Honestly, the game just seems like scheme to get a quick buck because Bethesda knows it'll be ages until there's a Fallout 5.

Stop and think about the fact that they chose this over a follow up to New Vegas, it's criminal really.

GermanZepp

nope. vids ive seen look way to janky even for Bethesda.

This. And i will add that, while the art direction and desing is fine, the game is ugly. Bethesda must stop using that engine. And after some digging, for me the game not worth full price.

Bankai

Still hope for a good 1.0 release.. but after seeing the beta, I can't say I'm exited for it. I'm a huge Fallout fan, so it's a real bummer.

Rudelord

Not at all. I have no interest in yet another survival-crafting open world multiplayer game. I've put too many hours in Rust, Ark and the like to care about one of those, but with a Fallout skin.
I play Fallout for singleplayer shit.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Nope. I will not.

It looks like complete and utter crap. I kept an open mind when it was announced but it never came close to grabbing me.
And I’m baffled how anyone can look at this and think it’s worth $20 let alone $60.

For those of you who are buying it, I’ll just say thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

Fizggig

Neo Member
Yup, even if I like it or not. I have the Power Armor edition and thats sold out and not being made anymore so it will be highly collectible later.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I am a huge fallout fan so yes, though it will bee on pc. One for me and one for the wife. We play a lot of shitty co-op survival games so this won't be much different.

Not expecting much, maybe it will be ok. Shroud seemed to like it.

Yes, already pre-ordered on ps4 pro.
I love the idea of an open world survival in a post apocalyptic landscape and the online component doesn't bother me.
I like the Bethesda fallout games because they have beautifully crafted worlds to explore, not for their npc and stories that are usually shit.
If I want to play the fallout rpgs that I love I still have fo 1,2 and new Vegas an they are still masterpieces. They are not made retroactively bad because of fallout 76

I like the idea of open world survival but the “survival elements” of this seem pretty lacking

This statement can be said about almost any Bethesda games, but some of them are still great.

Isn’t every TES game starting with Morrowind and on considered graphically beautiful (at the time of release)?

Last edited:
Honestly, the game just seems like scheme to get a quick buck because Bethesda knows it'll be ages until there's a Fallout 5.

Stop and think about the fact that they chose this over a follow up to New Vegas, it's criminal really.
We probably won't see another Fallout for another 10 years

Skyn3t

Banned
Nope. Bought the Ultimate edition of FO4 digitally at launch for 100 sth buck and played the game for maybe 5 hours. Not my cup of tea.

Astrates

I really want a game to play with my brothers cooperatively but the gameplay videos so far haven't done enough to entice me. Looks more like something I'd prefer to lok at a few months down the line once they've had time to adjust based on the feedback I can only assume it's going to get.

Additionally I was hit by the client deleting my Beta pre-load on PC. Given my internet is 2MB on a good day and I'd used the entirety of my data on a 4G Dongle to download it I was not best happy...

Pejo

I still haven't picked up 4 yet, so probably not. Aside from the usual Bethesda jank at release, I just don't like the changes they've made.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m saying no now but I know I will cave. So yea.

Game needs npcs and towns but I’ll try out the full release

Last edited:

renzolama

It's an enjoyable experience IF you liked the exploration / building aspects of Fallout 4, otherwise I'd definitely skip it. My hype took a big hit with this 63 fps lock update; the shooting was serviceably smooth at locked 120fps with gsync, but locked to 60 it feels stuttery and bad again. It's frustrating that rather than address the technical issue directly with players and explain that the advantage at 120 fps vs 60 fps is insignificant for gameplay (meaning they could lock it at 120 fps instead) they just immediately cratered to "omg hackx" mob and locked it as low as they could get away with.

Last edited:
Isn’t it online only or multiplayer focused? If so, that’s a huge turn off for me unfortunately and I actually like the Fallout games.

Klart

I bought it. I'd prefer a classic FO & less interested in this, but I like the Fallout universe.

It's an enjoyable experience IF you liked the exploration / building aspects of Fallout 4, otherwise I'd definitely skip it. My hype took a big hit with this 63 fps lock update; the shooting was serviceably smooth at locked 120fps with gsync, but locked to 60 it feels stuttery and bad again. It's frustrating that rather than address the technical issue directly with players and explain that the advantage at 120 fps vs 60 fps is insignificant for gameplay (meaning they could lock it at 120 fps instead) they just immediately cratered to "omg hackx" mob and locked it as low as they could get away with.

Why do they force a FPS cap on PC?

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned

Probably because physics is tied to framerate in their engine. If you look down---significantly increasing your FPS on most rigs---you can run faster than if you're looking forward. That's the sort of baggage you get when your engine started out as NetImmerse 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Blam

I bought the collectors edition because it just seems like it will go for a lot so why not. plus it's a working helmet so i'm always down for that after missing out on that awesome titanfall 2 one.

Literally wont play the game tho.

Itachi87

No. Was pretty disappointed in Fallout 4. This looks like more of the same, and I'm not interested in a Fallout online game.

thequestion

We probably won't see another Fallout for another 10 years

I’m fine with that. That franchise needs some time off.

Elder Scrolls on the other hand...Skyrim has been out, for what feels like, forever. I crave a new adventure set in that universe. It’s been too long.

renzolama

Because the engine is archaic with a decade of tech debt and is using onframe for physics calculations etc. It's well known (since it's the same engine as FO4) that the speedup is only ~1% up to 120 fps though so the cap at 60 is complete overkill.

Hudo

Nope. Rather simple reasoning really: It's clearly multiplayer-centric (even if Bethesda try to spin it as "oh, you totally can play by yourself"), the game's mechanics are clearly built with multiplayer in mind and I also don't like how there are no human NPCs (again, because they want to make other players explicitly readable). So I'll pass. But that doesn't mean that it's not a potentially good game. Just not for me.

johntown

Banned
I will play it once they either make it free to play or offer it free to play. Until then I can wait for Fallout 5 and Elder Scrolls 6.

HotPocket69

Banned
Cant stand GiantBomb nowadays, but I enjoyed Gerstmann ripping apart Fallout 4 years ago and will probably listen to the Bombcast for the first time in ages next week just to listen to him shit on that franchise some more.

And no I wont be buying it. Bethesda games are absolute garbage.

I haven't seen anything on Fallout 76 since E3, I just think it is too soon after 4 and I don't have a Fallout itch for a new game yet. Or more to the point I don't have any itch for another Bethesda Fallout game.

Nope. Nothing about this game looks appealing to me, or even any good in general. I already didn't really care for Fallout 4 (And I enjoyed 3 quite a bit) and this appears to be constructed around the worst aspects of that...

Vlaphor

Nah. I'm less and less interested in the brown and depressing ambiance of regular Fallout, so online survival Fallout just sounds like something I'm not interested in at all.

joe_zazen

"If people support this, you can be sure to have less solo game and more GaaS game from Bethesda"

Ummmm ok. Where did you read this info? Link or? ESO never stopped Elder Scrolls VI soooooo if that was going to happen, proof would simply be NO Elder Scrolls VI or Starfield or Doom, or Doom 2, or Rage 2 soooooo doesn't help your point when the team telling you they will keep making SP titles, ares still making SP titles.

do you think that without eso, the gap between V and VI would be less than 10-15 years?

linker

Neo Member
Absolutely not. Fallout 4 was shit enough, as a Fallout fan playing an even shittier online version that is not capable of not erasing itself 2 weeks from launch is too much to handle. Bethesda as devs and writers really need to step It up, Fallout 3 was barely acceptable 10 years ago

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Tons of interest but not touching this one for a solid year so it can be properly beta tested. My guess is like most current MMO's there wont be enough content to last a year and by the time the bugs are fixed it'll be discounted or free to play.

KLoWn

Probably not.

If me and my m8's have absolutely nothing else to do then maybe. It'll depend on the reviews and general word of mouth when it comes out I guess.

I want to want this game because the fallout universe is one of my favorites but after trying the B.E.T.A. I just don't have it in me. It has all of the things I don't like about current fallout without any of the good stuff IMO. I might still get it after the Holidays if the end game seems good. Right now I have no clue what I would be doing other than connecting the dots on the map...

how would their income model work then, since it is based on selling cosmetic items?
I don't care, just saying the data files are set up like all their previous games and we have tools for that. Also Tod did say they will allow it later after release.

Last edited:

Potoo10

Neo Member
No.Definitely no.Any fallout from them is non canon and quite frankly trash.Exploration (which they good at) can't carry shallow trash of a "story".

Top Bottom