• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be buying Fallout 76?

EDMIX

do you think that without eso, the gap between V and VI would be less than 10-15 years?

Nope.

Different teams. Its like saying if Red Dead 1 never happened, that GTAV would have released in 2010 when both games are done by 2 different teams. So what ever the reason they are still working on The Elder Scrolls VI, ESO existing doesn't mean if it was gone, they'd make VI as they are a online MMO team.... I see on evidence that ESO was made so the team wouldn't make Elder Scrolls VI as it makes very little sense. They likely wanted better assets, wanted fresher ideas and wanted to focus on Fallout IP more until they had something better for Elder Scrolls VI

Xenon

I still havent bought Fallout 4, so no. The last fallout game I finished was New Vegas and nothing I have seen makes me want to change that.

Grinchy

Banned
Probably because physics is tied to framerate in their engine. If you look down---significantly increasing your FPS on most rigs---you can run faster than if you're looking forward. That's the sort of baggage you get when your engine started out as NetImmerse 20 years ago.
Yeah it's why I get a little frustrated when I see people defending it. "Who cares about the engine, I love this game!!"

Ok, fine. You love it. Your standards are low and some of us expect more from full-priced products that have been selling in the 10s of millions for the past decade. Fallout 4's load times were even tied to the framerate. It's an unbelievably shitty engine that should not exist but does so because the massive corporation behind the game pinches pennies. That's not a worthwhile company to support, IMO.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I still havent bought Fallout 4, so no. The last fallout game I finished was New Vegas and nothing I have seen makes me want to change that.

Fallout 4 is still a really good Fallout game. Its main story is pretty bad, but imho none of the fallout games really had good main stories. The side quest are some of my favorite in the series. You should at least consider getting it used some time, its still a pretty good Fallout game.

joe_zazen

Nope.

Different teams. Its like saying if Red Dead 1 never happened, that GTAV would have released in 2010 when both games are done by 2 different teams. So what ever the reason they are still working on The Elder Scrolls VI, ESO existing doesn't mean if it was gone, they'd make VI as they are a online MMO team.... I see on evidence that ESO was made so the team wouldn't make Elder Scrolls VI as it makes very little sense. They likely wanted better assets, wanted fresher ideas and wanted to focus on Fallout IP more until they had something better for Elder Scrolls VI

It is more like saying if GTA Online was never made, GTAVI would come quicker. But who knows. Bethesda seems allergic to hiring more employees, so you might be right.

EDMIX

It is more like saying if GTA Online was never made, GTAVI would come quicker. But who knows. Bethesda seems allergic to hiring more employees, so you might be right.

I think they didn't want to rush it out and maybe didn't have a lot of ideas for it. Even GTA Online isn't being worked on by 100% of the team, so for all we know they've been working on GTAVI for quite some time. Some times teams hold on making something new in a series if they don't have a lot of ideas, I heard thats what happened to Jak 4 with Naughty Dog. They might have been working on TESVI for a while and wanted to make better assets and alter the game much more then Fallout 3 to 4. Maybe they saw 4's reception and felt they can do better then more of the same. (in terms quality)

Nope, not even a second thought. I hated fallout 3. I tried a little fallout 4 and, again it made me doubt my own sanity trying to grasp how anyone enjoys them. I loved fallout 1&2 ... even tactics., bring those back!

Last edited:
It's not even a Fallout game. I've watched about a dozen early opinion videos for the game and I still have no idea what it's aiming for. Looks like a lot of absolutely nothing, with dated visuals, poor optimization, and pretty poorly implemented gameplay features.

Fallout 4 was a little disappointing overall, but I was able to fix most of it's issues with mods. This game won't support real mods, just "curated" mods which still won't make up for what the game is missing.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
No. I loved fallout 3 and new Vegas. Didn’t mind 4 but it just want what it should be. And this looks like everything it shouldn’t be either.

They don’t get that all they needed to do was add a coop mode to the other games. It doesn’t have to make sense in the world or there even be a story relating to it. Just allow my friend to drop into my game with his players progression. Simple.

Instead we got............. this.

Clauss

Nope. Desperate cash grab by Bethesda to capitalize on a declining series.

It's sad when the modded, 3rd party story expansions for NV and Elder Scrolls look more interesting than the mainline entries.

Last edited:

EDMIX

No. I loved fallout 3 and new Vegas. Didn’t mind 4 but it just want what it should be. And this looks like everything it shouldn’t be either.

They don’t get that all they needed to do was add a coop mode to the other games. It doesn’t have to make sense in the world or there even be a story relating to it. Just allow my friend to drop into my game with his players progression. Simple.

Instead we got............. this.

Who is to say we can't have both? They can make this MMO and still add co op to the other new SP focused games. They even stated that they are still going to make SP Fallout games so its clear this wasn't an either or for them.

Kreydo

Unmodded Fallout 4 from 2015 is sometime superior in terms of graphics, animation, performance and overall technic than Fallout 76

Last edited:

120v

But who knows. Bethesda seems allergic to hiring more employees, so you might be right.

they hired a shitload of people, have two more studios than they did when skyrim and fallout 4 were developed. there's no ES6 yet simply because it isn't a current gen game.

if fallout 4 struggled with its baseline hardware imagine how a proper skyrim follow up would fare.

Last edited:
if you enjoyed the general gameplay loop of fallout 4 you'll probably feel right at home with this game.

they hired a shitload of people, have two more studios than they did when skyrim and fallout 4 were developed. there's no ES6 yet simply because it isn't a current gen game.

if fallout 4 struggled with its baseline hardware imagine how a proper skyrim follow up would fare.
There isn't an ES6 yet because they have been working on 76 and Starfield.

120v

76 is being done by the austin studio. which was BattleCry a few years ago and probably won't have anything to do with any of BGS's offline games

starfield is another game that isn't developed around current gen hardware and like ES6 they can't just plop it out

Kreydo

Not the same studio for 76, and TESVI haven't been released because Bethesda could just milk Skyrim more and more, Todd stated it himself.

Bethesda is actually struggling at release any major AAA rpg/adventure because mainstream players are now used to "decent" games... EA thought they could get away with their unpolished and buggy ME : Andromeda, history proved them wrong.
You have to understand that The Witcher III pulled a new standard for AAA and now with RDRII it's even worse, while on PC Bethesda rpg are knew for being juncky game, average console user are not always aware.(also don't have mods to fix Beth game).

Actually Fallout 76 is getting a huge backlash, youtuber, reviewer and even the sold press are murdering the game.
(full of bugs, easy to cheat/exploit, MT for inventory slots, no DoF, no push-to-talk on release!)

Last edited:

Rayderism

I tried to get into Fallout 4 multiple times and just couldn't get very far before quitting, so Fallout 76 isn't even on my radar. Besides, isn't F76 online only? I don't play games online, so that would negate any remote interest I might have had for it.

Zimmy68

Nope.
I would have considered for BF sales but the ads are already printed and I doubt they will discount it.
I don't see me buying it unless it gets heavily discounted.

I completely understand being turned off by the always online nature of the game but I also think that’s even beside the point.

I think the point is it just isn’t a good game. Even if it had single player mode would you really enjoy playing what would basically be Fallout 4 without NPCs? That just doesn’t sound fun to me from the basis of fundamental game mechanics.

Maybe if it was free I would play that.

It sounds to me like this this is a a shallow husk of a Fallout game but they thought that could be covered up by the multiplayer component

BANGS

Banned
I can't say I'm loving what I'm seeing so far, but I am interested for sure... I won't be buying at launch but I'm keeping my eye on it...

Mr Hyde

No. Since I bought Skyrim on PS3 I will never buy another game from Bethesda at launch. I will never be that gullable again, buying into hype only to receive a broken, unplayable mess. Like this shit right here. Looks like complete garbage. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, go fuck yourself.

Calibos

Like Battlefield, I am fence sitting this one. I pre-ordered and then cancelled...but now I am wanting to preorder again for that Fallout fix...I have been playing Fallout Shelter the past few days trying to fill the hole in my heart, but it isn't working! Maybe I should fire up 4 and finish the DLC to kill the want for 76?

johntown

Banned
I have a mild interest from a single player perspective to play for a bit. I can wait for the game to go free to play and if it never does I can wait 10 years for Fallout 5.

I have a mild interest from a single player perspective to play for a bit. I can wait for the game to go free to play and if it never does I can wait 10 years for Fallout 5.

If the backlash is what I think it will be post launch, it might go free to play. Wondering if reviewers will hand waive/play defense for lots of issues picked up and remains from the Beta, or if they will actually do a legit review.

Last edited:
If the backlash is what I think it will be post launch, it might go free to play. Wondering if reviewers will hand waive/play defense for lots of issues picked up and remains from the Beta, or if they will actually do a legit review.

I definitely could see it going F2P or being heavily discounted relatively quickly.

Im also very interested to see how the reviews pan out.

Not at launch, maybe like I've stated in previous threads once it gets the custom server/modified settings (single-player/small co-op) similar to ARK/Conan Exiles. But since that's a year out, my bet is it'll be on Game Pass by then. So then I can just play it that way.

Besides, ARK's last expansion is out for PC already and coming to consoles very soon.

joe_zazen

Wow, did they ever...from 160 to 400. Still, it was inexcusable making fallout 4 with only 100 on the team.

magnumpy

well, it seems like I'm the only GAFer with any interest in this game, so I'll let you guys know how it is xD

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not likely. I have a hard time getting into Bethesda Fallout games in the first place and now it's an online survival game?

Kreydo

Modders already break into Fallout 76, Bethesda will have hard time selling those 5$ Pipboy color on PC i guess...

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I'll definitely be skipping it, and I love Fallout.

Game is a pretty lame cash grab, little else.

Lanrutcon

Absolutely no interest. I'll replay FO4 from time to time (guilty pleasure), but this? This is going to be bug-ridden, laggy, shallow and barely moddable on release (if at all) with most of the game being reused FO4 assets.

Golmo

Neo Member
Yes, i bought it already. (PSN Digital Preorder)
maybe i buy battlefield 5 as well but thats it for the year 2018.
i played 2-3 hours in beta and yes its a rough experience but i just enjoy walking through this world.

Top Bottom