• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be buying Fallout 76?

120v

If the backlash is what I think it will be post launch, it might go free to play. Wondering if reviewers will hand waive/play defense for lots of issues picked up and remains from the Beta, or if they will actually do a legit review.

worst case scenario for them is it's $30 in a few months. this isn't your typical online game that can easily be flipped to f2p

Zimmy68

I'll be curious to see the review scores.
The game journous know not to mess around with Bethesda or no more fun events.

I'm guessing high scores but if you actually read the review they will hint at the wonkiness.

Treeforce

Neo Member
Had the Armor Edition Pre-ordered. Cancelled yesterday. Beta was no fun, it feels like an empty shell of a Fallout Game to me. I think what I always wanted is a mainline Fallout Game that can be played Coop (See Divinity 1 - 2). This is not that, at all.

Humdinger

No, because of the lack of story and real NPCs. In general, I'm not fond of the fact that it's oriented toward an MP experience. I'm an SP gamer, and that's why I buy Bethesda games. I also didn't like Fallout 4 much, so my desire to play another Fallout game isn't high.

DarkBatman

No, because of the lack of story and real NPCs. In general, I'm not fond of the fact that it's oriented toward an MP experience. I'm an SP gamer, and that's why I buy Bethesda games. I also didn't like Fallout 4 much, so my desire to play another Fallout game isn't high.

The first part +1.
I loved Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 for discovering many secret in a big open world while interacting with several characters, finding companions, dialogue choices and so on.
Fallout 76 took that away. Sadly the rest isn't as appealing to me.

Last edited:
I'll be curious to see the review scores.
The game journous know not to mess around with Bethesda or no more fun events.

I'm guessing high scores but if you actually read the review they will hint at the wonkiness.
After ~20 hours in the beta, I think it'll settle somewhere in the low 8's, like New Vegas. The lack of a real overarching story and human NPCs is a bummer, but the rest of modern Fallout is preserved and as engaging as ever.

Zewp

Saw a live-action ad for this last night while at the movies. I'm not sure if it was an ad by Bethesda or by Xbox One. Either way, it still did nothing for me.

This game looks atrocious. Though no doubt there are millions of prepubescent teens ready to cream their shorts because "omg fallout".

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Fox Mulder

I forgot this was coming out honestly. I thought it sounded dumb at reveal, and it's still absolutely not what I'm interested in Fallout for. It simply isn't for me.

I see a lot of general hate towards fallout 4 as well. While I understand why many people thought it was disappointing and I still agree it was no where near as good as New Vegas, I still think 4 is a real solid game and I personally really enjoyed it.

I loved that your character can talk, but it really did hurt the role playing aspect, trying to be a bad guy in that game didn't work. The Withcer 3 didn't a voiced protagonist perfectly, Bethesda just needs to fine tune it and take some lessons.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'll get it. I'm a huge Fallout fan and just love the setting and being in the world of Fallout. My buddy and I had a great time playing the beta even though we both recognized it's shortcomings. The PC version still being the best version needs a lot of work that most basic MP PC games have. No fov and graphical settings are terrible. No PTT is an awful awful choice that will just result in nobody talking as everyone will just turn off voice chat to avoid people open mic'd.

I'm looking forward to playing with my buddy, but I know it's not gonna be everything it should be.

Paasei

I have no interest in an online Fallout game. It should be a singleplayer experience full of somewhat dark humor/lore (like the Vault experiments). Where speech is the #1 stat to bullshit your way out of everything and mods have the potential to almost quite literally change the entire game.

Kreydo

I loved that your character can talk, but it really did hurt the role playing aspect, trying to be a bad guy in that game didn't work. The Withcer 3 didn't a voiced protagonist perfectly, Bethesda just needs to fine tune it and take some lessons.
Bethesda is just obsessed with their "Save the world" main quest, this is what it actually ruin roleplaying.

I did Fallout 4 on my 2nd run with an Alternate Start mod and it was so much better and immersve, no Institute Bullshit, no stupid kid to find... Just a survivor, a wanderer.
Same for Skyrim with the stupid Dragonborn super saiyan story.

Last edited:
Bethesda is just obsessed with their "Save the world" main quest, this is what it actually ruin roleplaying.

I did Fallout 4 on my 2nd run with an Alternate Start mod and it was so much better and immersve, no Institute Bullshit, no stupid kid to find... Just a survivor, a wanderer.
Same for Skyrim with the stupid Dragonborn super saiyan story.
I avoided the main quest my 3rd play-through. Would recommend. I think the story is fine but it ruins role play I agree.

Stuart360

I played Skyrim 5 times and never finished the main quest once. Bethesda games are all about the side content for me.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Roiland should have just done his own solo Rick and Morty stream.

Probably more money in it going this way. That write up was fucking terrible btw - how the cunt does that pass as journalism?

Lanrutcon

I get a feeling they're going to be battling hackers every single step of the way, given how customisable (and well documented the process of modifying) that engine is.

Arimer

I just did a few minutes ago but I have this feeling that i'm going to regret it. I played the beta's. It was alright. There wasn't any time that i needed other players. I feel like i'm going to burn out fast and never go back unless their is just something i'm missing about it.

scraz

When it's 10 bucks on PC sure, Maybe 20 if i'm bored at the time. The whole idea of the world being dead and other people creating the narrative is a fucking train wreck. It's like someone watched a bunch of Rust and Dayz Videos 3-4 years ago of people being weird or dickheads and wanted recreate that in a fallout game with microtransactions.

Raven117

Gold Member
Nah, too many great games coming out right now.

Maybe on sale if the feedback is decent. (But probably not).

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I had a beta key, but wasn't even motivated enough to try that. So no, I will not buy this trash.

Ozrimandias

We will be witness of a No Man Sky situation.

In 3 years maybe we well see journalist tell us "Top 5 Reason why Fallout 76 its worth playing right now"

Ozrimandias

I was interested at first, because I really like bethesdas open world games but then decided not to buy.

Reasons:
- Can't stand the wasteland look anymore
- imo nothing really fresh besides the online mode
- much stronger titles available this fall (for me rdr2, bo4, dragon quest 11 and just recently announced, path of exile for ps4).

Sorry bethesda, but you need to step your game up to sell these kind of games.

Totally agree with this, I cannot stand the plastic and cartoonish look, besides, they have deviated from the retro futuristic root of the 40's, now with the last live action spot on youtube (with the song of the beach boys, a band of the 60's), it seems like fortnite

Grinchy

Banned
You know what makes it look even worse is that horrible DOF thing they're doing with this one. Everything that's 15 feet away or more is blurred to hell in a desperate attempt to increase performance. So it's an already awful looking game artistically made to look even worse technically.

Last edited:
I don't play fallout for the story, I just love wandering the Wasteland, so I'll definitely play 76, likely as a wandering singleplayer in a world without NPCs. Will I have as much fun as the last 3 Fallouts? Probably not, but who knows. I can say, I am excited about the idea though of Bethesda being able to keep adding free content to the game down the road.

Irobot82

Currently I am a maybe. I'd like to see the FOV fixed somehow, maybe chat fixed. I'll check out some videos of it in a month or two to see what kind of direction they are going in.

tylrdiablos

My room-mate is a big Fallout fan, he's getting it day one so I'll wait and see how it pans out for him.
I'm happy to give it a month or three whilst I finish up Spider-Man, Red Dead 2 and some Battlefield V multi-player.

Kreydo

My room-mate is a big Fallout fan, he's getting it day one.
Real fans won't buy a Fallout that have none of the quality of a regular Fallout, and who will surely hurt the whole license.
It's just compulsive consumer behavior, no need to pretend being a fan. This is extremly insulting for people who actually care for the license.

Last edited:

Steez

Real fans won't buy a Fallout that have none of the quality of a regular Fallout, and who will surely hurt the whole license.
It's just compulsive consumer behavior, no need to pretend being a fan. This is extremly insulting for people who actually care for the license.

Reality check, most Fallout fans never played the "real" Fallout games.

Yeah its going to tank pretty hard. They are trying to pre sell it for $35USD here in Australia but I don't think anyones biting.

Kreydo

Reality check, most Fallout fans never played the "real" Fallout games.
I know but even Fallout 3 and 4 have the feeling of the old ones at least, and they are more or less RPG.
Here Fallout 76 is just have an unfunctional buggy product disguised as Fallout.

But what piss me of the most it's all those people who will buy anything and then pretend to be fans, while their purchase will hurt the serie.
They are not fan at all, they are just braindead... Because we are not talking about mainstream people here who just saw an advertissement on TV, but someone who is full aware of that garbage and his micro-transaction purpose. Still he's gonna buy it since its writed Fallout on the cover.

Last edited:
Top Bottom